• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Therunner
    Zag for Life
    • Dec 2007

How do we beat Gonzaga? (via SMC board)

From Godisagael.com; here are a view snippets(shocked at the amount of Arop comments):

Looks like Arop could be out which means helps us boardwise and fouls wise.
    Arop has quickly become their "energizer" and most complete player off the bench in recent weeks and has lead the team in rebounding the past few games(most offensive rebs as well)---This could potentially be a big loss for the Zags for tonight's game.
    Other things that would help:
    1. Omar's ankle being better than Gray's elbow (Another 2 of 10 night for Gray would be nice)
    2. Ref's call a game that allows Mickey and Delly to play basketball on offense
    3. Gonzaga have an average or worse night from the FT-line (ie under .666)
    4. Drawing a charge early on Harris. He's had foul troubles at times this season
    Also, I think helps us that Mangisto Arop is out tonight vs SMC. After watching last night's Zag game, he's a terrific on-the-ball defender and amazing rebounder.
    There is no denying SMC's guards matchup talent wise just fine, yet physically they're completely overmatched. Bouldin's strength, Grey's prowess, and Goodson's speed are just too tough to handle on the offensive and defensive side of things. It doesn't hurt their two lead guards are both 6'5" either. That has been the primary difference in our last two games.
    Just shoot the ball well...
    Bench stays within a couple of baskets of GU's bench like they have both times this season.
  • hooter73
    Zag for Life
    • Jun 2008

Fair and accurate, sepecially withthe bench points.

Comment

• krozman
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2008

If SMC can do as well as LMU did getting GU players in foul trouble, they'd be well on their way.
      Krozman
      GU student 1996-2000
      Law Student 2000-2003

Comment

• U Zig, I Zag
        Zag for Life
        • Mar 2009

Matt is due for a good game. Steven has been playing well. Those two alone can cause more damage for SMC than anyone on our team.

If Few and Co can convince these ref's to watch the manhandling of Matt I think we can win. Historically, SMC doesn't really play that type of game anyway.

I think if Matt has 10 in the first half and we can get Samhan with 3 fouls in the first half we can pull away and put this WCC business to rest and heal up for the Tourney.

Comment

• gamagin
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

I think the gamplan vs Zags is clear,

frustrate and foul. If that doesn't work, switch to fouling and frustrating.

Neither LMUnor SMC have better athletes. They have excellent, scrappy, well-disciplined, motivated, well-coached ballers willing to keep going for 40 full minutes.

So they do just that. We do the same, we win. Don't let them pull us into their game.

Focus and execute, take smart shots and rebound. Repeat.
          Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
          Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
          Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• jim77
            Zag for Life
            • Oct 2007

Speaking of Manhandling..we worked over their guards pretty good last time. I think the 2 keys for them are Ben Allen and McConnel. Ben needs to be a warrior oin the boards and Mc Connel must score from 3 land.....and that ain't gonna be easy with Steven Gray in the area. The Gaels need to bring folks out to screen for their sharpshooters cause the can't shoot over our guys.......the Gaels also need to whipp the ball around to nullify our athletes....you can't defend what you can't catch. Ball MOVEMENT GAELS. Big Omar will get his points as he always does but, it will take more from others to beat us. Good Luck Gaels...hope to see ya dancing.

Comment

• MDABE80
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

I'm thinking that SMC and in particular Omar will be going harder than ever before. It's thir third bite at the apple. You can bet they'll do everything possible to win. Push, grab, gouge....hope the refs watch this one closely. If we control the boards and play defense, our kids will win...not by much. Key is to get them beat early and don't let up. Rest is later...now is the time to play harder than the first 2 times out. I'd like to see Will get his head in this and do what he can do. Omar fouls too much. Platoon management...2:1. ...frustrate him.

Allen is a tough out. SMC is a good team with no injuries we know of. This game will tell us a lot about courage.....we'll know soon who has it and who's a pretender to it. I think we've got the right stuff to bury SMC if we get on em early.

Comment

Working...
              X