PDA

View Full Version : When does the granny shot become a viable technique of shooting FTs?

killerbootsman
03-07-2010, 11:29 PM
seriously. Air-balling two free throws back to back is unreal. The perfect combination of lack of practice, dexterity, and nerves.

I'd rather have Will throw the ball away while trying to kick it out to Gray or Bouldin than to see him jump 4 inches while half-heartedly trying to dunk and get fouled.

2wiceright
03-08-2010, 12:25 AM
I'd rather you not post unless you have something interesting or meaningful to add. Having fun is one thing but not by being mean-spirited!

alaskazagnut
03-08-2010, 01:39 AM
did killerbootsman get negative feedback? I saw it. Hey killer, did you get negative feedback?

Birddog
03-08-2010, 05:14 AM
Zags really struggled at that end of the court going 15 for 26. At first I thought it might have been the sight lines, but LMU was 9 of 11 at that end, and Zags were 8 of 10 in the first half at the other end. Gray airballed one and Bouldin missed 2 (uncharacteristically). How many times has Matt missed two in a row in his career?

Zagpower
03-08-2010, 05:30 AM
After the first airball, I would try to bank the next one. At least it gives us a chance for a rebound.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-08-2010, 07:25 AM
The granny shot becomes a viable option when you shoot a better percentage using that technique than using traditional techniques.

My law school team had a dude who could hit about ten free throws in a row using the granny shot but was about a 50/50 shooter, otherwise. The first time he did it in a tournament, everybody for the other team got mad because they thought he was taunting.

That dude could hit half court shots with the granny but couldn't hit a ten foot jump shot to save his life. We all hated playing him in H-O-R-S-E.

LynetteG
03-08-2010, 09:11 AM
At least Gray had an excuse... he ripped off two fingernails on his shooting hand earlier in the game! OUCH!

zagzealot
03-08-2010, 09:53 AM
I thought Gray was paying tribute to WillF ala the Hank Gathers tribute. ;)

gamagin
03-08-2010, 10:04 AM
I thought Gray was paying tribute to WillF ala the Hank Gathers tribute. ;)

I think it was either Steven or Matt who looked over at Will and smiled after putting up an airball.

There always seems to be a bit of cameraderie and fun going on between the bench and the floor. Everyone knows "stuff" happens.

Big Will better be ready, however, because if/when he gets in, no one is going to give him a free layin if they can avoid it. Or if it matters. from now on.

Lurknomore
03-08-2010, 10:25 AM
This is just a question as I don't know- but- Why hasn't this been fixed. I am sure that they practice free throws tons but shouldn't there have been some improvement and adjustments made. I guess I am used to it being a sure thing and this year it has not been.

lothar98zag
03-08-2010, 11:58 AM
Will needs to spend all his non-school, non-game, non-practice time between now & next Thursday with a sports shrink. GU needs him to sub Sacre in certain situations, but the worse his FTs get, the less Few can use him. ugh.

BJZags
03-08-2010, 12:04 PM
I believe Brent Berry used to shoot his FT's granny for awhile when he played at Oregon State. If it works, why not?

jim77
03-08-2010, 12:44 PM
I believe Brent Berry used to shoot his FT's granny for awhile when he played at Oregon State. If it works, why not?

Brent Berry got it from one of the greatest freethrow shooters of all time Rick Berry....Rick was dead-on with the technique. However, Will didn't air ball it because of bad technique...he missed it because he was TOTALLY gassed. Its probably to late for him to change now.

2wiceright
03-08-2010, 01:22 PM
Will needs to spend all his non-school, non-game, non-practice time between now & next Thursday with a sports shrink. GU needs him to sub Sacre in certain situations, but the worse his FTs get, the less Few can use him. ugh.

I agree with this 100 percent. You just feel so bad for the guy when this kind of stuff happens, his shoulders hunch over and he just looks humiliated. I was always told growing up playing that it is so much harder for a 7 footer to make free throws, generally because they tend to shoot line of sight to the hoop without much arc on the shot(not sure I believe that). But look at the Shaq. Regardless, I just hope Will is able to sieze one of these last few opportunities to get a great block in crunch time, or make 2 more free throws in a row so at least he'll leave the program on a high note feeling good about himself. I think a sports therapist will be essential for him if he continues to play after college, but could do wonders in the short term as well...

gamagin
03-08-2010, 01:35 PM

f.t.'s seem to scare Will, at times, the way I would be terrified to jump, or be pushed, out of an airplane. With or without a parachute.

He's just going to have to gut it out, and keep trying, since it's been four years and the basket and reaching it, with a basketball, is still an utter mystery to him at really inoppportune times like during that LMU game.

Perhaps a fairy godmother, or Asst. Coach, could give him a feather to hold in his nose, for confidence or just to get him to relax or have a chuckle, until he realizes he can fly on his own. I believe everything else has been tried.

lothar98zag
03-08-2010, 01:42 PM
f.t.'s seem to scare Will, at times, the way I would be terrified to jump, or be pushed, out of an airplane. With or without a parachute.

He's just going to have to gut it out, and keep trying, since it's been four years and the basket and reaching it, with a basketball, is still an utter mystery to him at really inoppportune times like during that LMU game.

Perhaps a fairy godmother, or Asst. Coach, could give him a feather to hold in his nose, for confidence or just to get him to relax or have a chuckle, until he realizes he can fly on his own. I believe everything else has been tried.
lol. Now the next time I watch Dumbo with my kids, I'll be picturing Foster as an elephant. Thanks?