PDA

View Full Version : Manny's Foot? (update: BAD)

Thomas_Sutpen
03-07-2010, 09:21 PM
Forgive if this has been posted.

Worrisome.

Arop appeared to hurt his foot near the 14-minute mark of the second half. Few said the freshman wing might miss tonight’s game. He was scheduled for X-rays, but “it didn’t look good,” Few said.

Meehan (http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2010/mar/07/gonzaga-marches/#more)

MickMick
03-07-2010, 09:25 PM
This would be a huge blow to the Zags. They could beat SMC without him and possibly win one or two tournament games, but the bigger dreams would go bye bye.

rawkmandale
03-07-2010, 09:31 PM
Oh, crap. We've been lucky this year in avoiding injuries. Bad time to have any.

Better pray for Manny tonight.

MedZag
03-07-2010, 09:45 PM
Frick.

MickMick
03-07-2010, 09:49 PM
This may be where Gibbs gets his chance to really prove himself. We shall see if he is up to the task.

Zagsker
03-07-2010, 10:45 PM
This may be where Gibbs gets his chance to really prove himself. We shall see if he is up to the task.

what is the fascination with Gibbs that some of you have?

just saying that I have not seen anything from him that warrants him being out on the floor a lot

MBZags
03-07-2010, 10:52 PM
Did anyone see what happened?

d2zag
03-07-2010, 11:10 PM
Uhhhhh just heard he might have broken his foot :( This is not good, to say the least.

Zagsker
03-07-2010, 11:24 PM
Uhhhhh just heard he might have broken his foot :( This is not good, to say the least.

damn..manny is a beast on the glass

caduceus
03-08-2010, 12:00 AM
Just watched a replay of the game. Arop was in at the 14-minute mark, but looked fine, and there were really no significant events (e.g. jumping for a rebound, etc.) with him at that point. He came out briefly around 9 minutes, without a limp or any apparent injury. He went back in and played a few more minutes then (looking fine).

At 6:56, Arop whipped a pass in to Sacre, who scored on a jump hook.

There was a traffic jam under the basket (including Arop) when Sacre made the score. Arop was in the back of the crowd to the camera, so it's impossible to tell on the TV as to what happened. Presumably, he either landed on his left foot at a weird angle, or someone stepped on him. At that point, he appeared to be hobbling while heading back on defense. He nearly stumbled while defending LMU's next possession (fortunately we were in a zone at the time and he wasn't running all over the court chasing his man).

Hope it's not serious, for his and the team's sake. :( He's been a rebounding beast lately.

Therunner
03-08-2010, 03:44 AM
Huge blow to the team. We can only hope(& pray) he'll be alright.

Arop's rebounding ability leads to so many scoring opportunities, fast breaks, and establishes the energy on both ends of the floor. He's also a nice defender to boot.

Heck, he was our LEADING REBOUNDER during last night's contest and averages more than any player when you consider minutes played..

Also, as much as I love Harris's game, he just hasn't played with the same tenacity, energy, or passion lately, especially on the boards. Of course he's still been effective, yet more of a jump-shooter, small-forward type all of a sudden. Is he trying to showcase his other skills for a select few in the stands? Who knows, Either way, Manny has been the guy jumping over people, snagging offensive rebounds, long defensive rebounds of 3pt misses, hustling for every 50-50 ball, etc. I remember on one occasion where the entire team had already retreated for defense and Manny was still battling for a ball off a missed FT and came up with it, yet no one was around to help him. That is the player he is.

Argueably, we need Manny than any bench player on this team to advance in the postseason. Who else can fill his rebounding presence, hustle, persistance, and defense? :(

theman.themyth.thelegend
03-08-2010, 03:54 AM
Huge blow to the team. We can only hope(& pray) he'll be alright.

Arop's rebounding ability leads to so many scoring opportunities, fast breaks, and establishes the energy on both ends of the floor. He's also a nice defender to boot.

Heck, he was our LEADING REBOUNDER during last night's contest and averages more than any player when you consider minutes played..

Also, as much as I love Harris's game, he just hasn't played with the same tenacity, energy, or passion lately, especially on the boards. Of course he's still been effective, yet more of a jump-shooter, small-forward type all of a sudden. Is he trying to showcase his other skills for a select few in the stands? Who knows, Either way, Manny has been the guy jumping over people, snagging offensive rebounds, long defensive rebounds of 3pt misses, hustling for every 50-50 ball, etc. I remember on one occasion where the entire team had already retreated for defense and Manny was still battling for a ball off a missed FT and came up with it, yet no one was around to help him. That is the player he is.

Argueably, we need Manny than any bench player on this team to advance in the postseason. Who else can fill his rebounding presence, hustle, persistance, and defense? :(

Yep. If injured, a devastating loss to this team.

Manny has been averaging 18+ minutes off the bench the last 6 games. During the same stretch, he's secured 11 offensive rebs and grabbed 44 rebounds(averaging around 7 rpg). Coach Few was beginning to trust him more with every minute played as of late.

I doubt most realize Manny has LEAD the team in rebounding the past two games in a row!!! 10 & 8 rebs, respectively. :mad:

Reborn
03-08-2010, 05:22 AM
That would sure be a blow. If he's out then Bouldin MUST snap out of his funk and have a much better game. I'm wondering how injured Matt is because he just doesn't look like his old self. And we'll need to stay out of foul trouble and play smart.

I think Kong is really playing great off the bench too. His offense has returned and he'll get even more minutes if Manny is out. I think the Zags will be okay without Manny, but I will sure miss him a lot. I just love his game. I also think that GG can log some minutes against St. Mary's and he can rebound too. The Zags have a good bench wth lots of talent there. We'll be okay tonight. I think Kong will be quite effective tonight. Our height and athleticism is just going to be too much for St. Mary's.

NotoriousZ
03-08-2010, 05:56 AM
Wow, that is some crappy news. I would gladly give up the St. Mary's game and my shot at seeing our guys in the Spokane Arena for Manny to be able to play in the NCAA's.

:pray: :bishop_smiley: :pray:

Virginia Zags Fan
03-08-2010, 06:22 AM
Manny really looked like he was in pain walking off the court. I thought it was probably an ankle sprain by how he was walking. Either way I did not expect him tonight.

Manny and Bol have a chemistry similar to Matt and Steven. Very fun to watch. I wish Manny the speediest of recoveries.

bballbeachbum
03-08-2010, 06:35 AM
crap...broken foot?

crap

Ziggy
03-08-2010, 06:38 AM
It is not confirmed yet; let's not rush to hysteria. Maintain calm please!

U Zig, I Zag
03-08-2010, 06:53 AM
Hoping it's not broke - yikes.

We have avoided major injury so far this year... it was a close call with Gray going down earlier in the game but now it look like the injury fairy has caught up with GU.

Manny is a high energy guy, that's for sure - his ability to get the boards is what is going to be missed the most, imho.

That said, this team is deep, GG, GJ, Kong and KO + Big Will. Heck, even Hart has a good build and a good ball IQ. Manny will be missed (if he really is hurt badly) but we can manage.

Good teams rise up. Time for Kong to get aggressive.

ZagLawGrad
03-08-2010, 06:54 AM
A blow to some extent. But a huge blow and we won't be able to win in the Dance without him? C'mon, there's a reason Coach Few has hasn't used him a lot this season. The Zags will be fine.

Houston Zag
03-08-2010, 07:03 AM
I side with the lawgrad. This isn't the end of the team. Arop plays a nice roll off the bench, and has a huge future at GU. That being said there are others who can and need to step up.

U Zig, I Zag
03-08-2010, 07:05 AM
I side with the lawgrad. This isn't the end of the team. Arop plays a nice roll off the bench, and has a huge future at GU. That being said there are others who can and need to step up.

+1

We don't rebuild. We reload. There is already another round in the chamber.

NotoriousZ
03-08-2010, 07:13 AM
A blow to some extent. But a huge blow and we won't be able to win in the Dance without him? C'mon, there's a reason Coach Few has hasn't used him a lot this season. The Zags will be fine.

Dissagree. I can see us beating St. Mary's w/o him, and getting into the Sweet Sixteen even, but our chances of topping a #1 seed just got crushed if it turns out that his foot is broken. Only losing Bouldin, Gray, or Harris would hurt the Zags more IMO. I'll root for the team as hard as anyone if he's not playing, but that would be a HUGE void for the Zags to overcome.

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-08-2010, 07:18 AM
If Manny is injured then, yeah, it's a bummer but there ain't no stopping this train so stop all the handwringing and hop aboard folks. This is Matt Bouldin's last dance. Rather than dwell on possible setbacks, I for one hope all players healthy enough to step on the court bring the kind of intensity, focus and courage needed to make it a long last dance for Matty B. and Big Wil.

If an injury knocks a player off the train, then we need a Zag to STEP UP...that's all there is to it.

Go ZAGS

ZagLawGrad
03-08-2010, 07:37 AM
Mystifying, the comments that the Zags can't win deep in the Dance without Arop. The stats surely say otherwise if I'm reading them correctly.

Manny 8th in scoring on this team---3.5 pts per game.

Manny 8th in minutes per game with around 11 p/g.

And he's the difference beteen the Elite 8 and Final Four?

I don't think so. He's shown some potential to be a good player in the future, but he's still got a long ways to go. To suggest or expect that he will be the difference for a deep run is unrealistic.

realtydog
03-08-2010, 07:50 AM
I don't see where he ranks on the team under "intangibles"---he would be missed for sure--but not the end of our hopes for the tourney

CDC84
03-08-2010, 07:51 AM
The greatest contribution that Manny makes is that whenever he enters the game, he energizes the players around him through his take no prisoners mentality. He's been a change changer in several instances. See Wake Forest, etc.

I hope it's just a mild injury. After tonight's game, the Zags will have at least 9 days off until their next game. There's time to heal.

ZagLawGrad
03-08-2010, 07:52 AM
The greatest contribution that Manny makes is that whenever he enters the game, he energizes the players around him through his take no prisoners mentality. He's been a change changer in several instances. See Wake Forest, etc.

I hope it's just a mild injury. After tonight's game, the Zags will have at least 9 days off until their next game. There's time to heal.

+1

NotoriousZ
03-08-2010, 07:53 AM
It's his rebounding/athleticism that would be missed, especially against the elite teams. Yes, we can beat anybody, even without Manny, but I'm hoping beyond all hope that's he's got no worse than a sprain and he'll be with us on the court for Bouldin's last run.

Ikancagin
03-08-2010, 07:58 AM
I am just curious as to why Manny at his size and bulk, is such a good rebounder and not some of the other larger team mates. I too would miss his obvious enthusiam.

Robzagnut
03-08-2010, 08:03 AM
Mystifying, the comments that the Zags can't win deep in the Dance without Arop. The stats surely say otherwise if I'm reading them correctly.

Manny 8th in scoring on this team---3.5 pts per game.

Manny 8th in minutes per game with around 11 p/g.

And he's the difference beteen the Elite 8 and Final Four?

I don't think so. He's shown some potential to be a good player in the future, but he's still got a long ways to go. To suggest or expect that he will be the difference for a deep run is unrealistic.

You need to read the book, How to Lie with Statistics.

Those stats show his contributions throughout the whole season. Early on KO was the 6th man and Manny was deep on the bench, but if you notice over the past 5-6 games that Manny was been the 6th man and has played extremely well. His defense and rebounding takes this team to another level. They need him to advance far into the tourney, especially if Bouldin continues to struggle.

cjm720
03-08-2010, 08:05 AM

Or watch a game :)

Manny's an absolute game changer when he gets the opportunity.

Heal up fast!!!

Go ZAGs!!!

U Zig, I Zag
03-08-2010, 08:12 AM
I am just curious as to why Manny at his size and bulk, is such a good rebounder and not some of the other larger team mates. I too would miss his obvious enthusiam.

http://www.businesspundit.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/heart-blending.jpg

ZagLawGrad
03-08-2010, 08:14 AM

Those stats show his contributions throughout the whole season. Early on KO was the 6th man and Manny was deep on the bench, but if you notice over the past 5-6 games that Manny was been the 6th man and has played extremely well. His defense and rebounding takes this team to another level. They need him to advance far into the tourney, especially if Bouldin continues to struggle.

I'll stick with the expert--Coach Few. His decisions have resulted in Manny being 8th in minutes. If he was a stick of dynamite and taking the Zags into the stratosphere, he'd be logging lots of time. But he's not, correct? And that's not a lie, is it? Foolish to think a freshman with his numbers will make the difference in reaching an Elite 8 or Final 4. He may help, but he's not the key.

Ezag
03-08-2010, 08:19 AM
I think Manny showed what he is capable of in terms of rebounding and scoring... and me thinks he would have a bigger role in NCAAs if he can even play

Thomas_Sutpen
03-08-2010, 08:21 AM
They need [Manny] to advance far into the tourney, especially if Bouldin continues to struggle.

If MB continues to struggle, we won't advance far into the tourney. Period.

A healthy Manny would obviously be helpful, however. Let's hope it's just a sprain or bruise. We may get the report today.

On a side note, I say MB plays well tonight--he should be able to abuse whomever guards him from SMC.

gamagin
03-08-2010, 08:22 AM
Manny's injury "doesn't look good."

This worries me. Manny & Meech were the only sparkplugs underneath in the first half, garnering 10 of our 18 rebounds. take Manny out and who knows what.

Otoh, it's been time for RS & EH to take over their former domination around the net, so perhaps this will force that issue. I hope so.

Someone, and I assume that will be one or the other, is going to have to discourage Samhan from running that team from his center position.

Because when its working, it works great. Omar does a great job of managing things from his perch.

We have to knock him off that perch, enough times to change his game and their excellent ball movement and shot selections if we hope to beat, much less dominate them.

The first guy I think of when I think what we "could" do is to put Manny in for this occasion. It's his speciality, like Kuso before. He's menacing and very effective.

VinnyZag
03-08-2010, 08:40 AM
I'll stick with the expert--Coach Few. His decisions have resulted in Manny being 8th in minutes. If he was a stick of dynamite and taking the Zags into the stratosphere, he'd be logging lots of time. But he's not, correct? And that's not a lie, is it? Foolish to think a freshman with his numbers will make the difference in reaching an Elite 8 or Final 4. He may help, but he's not the key.

Seriously, have you watched the games?

ZagLawGrad
03-08-2010, 08:42 AM
Seriously, have you watched the games?

Seriously, I have.

Seriously, do you think Coach Few has seen Manny as the key to a deep run in the tournament. Seriously?

U Zig, I Zag
03-08-2010, 08:51 AM
Manny is needed but not required. If he can't play this is the test that GU faces. What are they made of? Who steps up? Can Bol, KO and RS attack the rim with a vengeance?

Honestly, any of the starting 5 being hurt would 'bother' me more.

I like our chances against anyone with the team we got.

americasteam
03-08-2010, 09:00 AM
Manny is needed but not required. If he can't play this is the test that GU faces. What are they made of? Who steps up? Can Bol, KO and RS attack the rim with a vengeance?

Honestly, any of the starting 5 being hurt would 'bother' me more.

I like our chances against anyone with the team we got.

I think everyone on this board is right.....Manny playing would be great as he is adding intensity, rebounding, etc. If he can't play, Few will tell the team, okay, we need some intensity and some rebounding. Bench players, you're it!

I think Manny gets some rebounds Sacre or Harris would have gotten. You tell a specific bench player his assignment, and he'll do everything he can to follow a coach's instructions, knowing that if he doesn't, he's out and the next guy is in.

Manny is a great athlete and has high intensity and we'll miss that (if he is sidelined), but we do have some other great bench players just itching for a chance!

Seize the Day, I say. :)

Go Zags!

007Zag
03-08-2010, 09:02 AM
Seriously, I have.

Seriously, do you think Coach Few has seen Manny as the key to a deep run in the tournament. Seriously?

The point is that while he may be 8th in minutes for the WHOLE SEASON, that's because early in the season, he wasn't getting many minutes. Lately, over the last six games or so, he's been getting more like sixth most minutes. THAT is where the stat isn't accurate for RIGHT NOW. I think it's something like 18 minutes in the last few games, but I haven't looked at the average lately.

Manny is the best rebounds-per-minute guy on the team. For that reason alone he is important. He also can shoot, though he doesn't seem to have the green light to do so very often. Did anybody see that shot he made cutting across the lane, falling away, as the shot clock expired? It was beautiful.

Only time will tell if he's well for the NCAA. Conceivably, someone else could step up and fill the void that he would leave behind, but I would much rather have him playing after proving his energy, defense, and rebounding, which as the season has proceeded has resulted in more playing time. Get well, Manny.

NotoriousZ
03-08-2010, 09:02 AM
Seriously, I have.

I wouldn't argue that you haven't watched the games, but I don't think you're seeing the whole picture because Manny's role has steadily increased and he would be a key, while not the key, but a key figure none the less to our tournament run.

Edit: you beat me to it 007

ZagManFan
03-08-2010, 09:09 AM
When were the x-rays scheduled? When will we know?

ZagLawGrad
03-08-2010, 09:12 AM
I wouldn't argue that you haven't watched the games, but I don't think you're seeing the whole picture because Manny's role has steadily increased and he would be a key, while not the key, but a key figure none the less to our tournament run.

Edit: you beat me to it 007

I acknowledge and have no problem with the fact Arop is a part of the whole picture, just as the rest of the players who have logged minutes.

I'm just not buying into the suggestion that the freshman is the difference between a deep run and going home earlier than anticipated.

BobZag
03-08-2010, 09:14 AM
Mangisto's foot is broken.

gamagin
03-08-2010, 09:15 AM
he's a gamer and we are only beginning to see what an impact player he is and will be.

But when Manny and Meech, two guards, are our top rebounders in the first half, as they were, something is wrong. Something bigger than this thread's argument.

Think about it.

ZagManFan
03-08-2010, 09:17 AM
Sad day just got worse. Heal up Manny!!!!

I am on the phone with Mr. Miyagi right now, but his plans are a bit tight right now.

kclubfounder
03-08-2010, 09:17 AM
Damn Bob, that really sucks. Time for the rest of the team to pull more weight. Sometimes it can actually lead to better team performances.

We need to pray that this is it. No more injuries.

Ziggy
03-08-2010, 09:23 AM
Wasn't he in a boot to start the season? Wonder if it finally gave, like a stress fracture?

zagfan08
03-08-2010, 09:41 AM
That's a shame. We have, for the most part, avoided the injury bug to this point.

The bright side is Bol has been playing better as of late, and this is a big chance for him. Obviously we take a hit without Arop, but if Bol and KO can step up the hit can be minimized.

VinnyZag
03-08-2010, 09:45 AM
Seriously, I have.

yes.

U Zig, I Zag
03-08-2010, 09:45 AM
That's a shame. We have, for the most part, avoided the injury bug to this point.

The bright side is Bol has been playing better as of late, and this is a big chance for him. Obviously we take a hit without Arop, but if Bol and KO can step up the hit can be minimized.

I think that's exactly what happens. KO and Bol need to play like champs.

They need to loop the Bol YouTube vids, sit Bol in a room for 30 minutes by himself and make him watch.

When he comes out of the room Few just needs to say, 'do that.'

ZagLawGrad
03-08-2010, 09:48 AM
yes.

Well, that's a bummer. I suspect Coach will tell the guys to turn in their uniforms this afternoon as the season is obviously over. :(

VinnyZag
03-08-2010, 09:53 AM
Well, that's a bummer. I suspect Coach will tell the guys to turn in their uniforms this afternoon as the season is obviously over. :(

Without derailing this thread entirely, let's just agree to disagree on Arop's value.

ZagManFan
03-08-2010, 09:55 AM
Without derailing this thread entirely, let's just agree to disagree on Arop's value.

Actually it keeps me coming back. Carry on.

BTW, Arop's value is high if you ask me, but it just means someone else has to take the opportunity and go with it. Time to shine for Bol and Kelly.

ZagLawGrad
03-08-2010, 10:04 AM
Actually it keeps me coming back. Carry on...

lol. But I gotta give up my point since it's now official that Manny broke his foot and is out. If we don't make a run into the Elite 8, it's because he wasn't there. Or so the story would go.

Now is the time for someone else to step up. Would love to see KO make a big impact starting tonight.

Ziggy
03-08-2010, 10:07 AM
It is not confirmed yet; let's not rush to hysteria. Maintain calm please!

Now it is. He's out for the remainder of the season. Sorry Manny! We still have the guns to keep on playing at a high rate.

jazzdelmar
03-08-2010, 10:12 AM
maybe its an homage to mike nilson....GU did ok after that injury

Zag4Hire
03-08-2010, 10:13 AM
I love the 'abandon ship' mentality of a message board during times like this. Perhaps we can breakdown how Manny's injury will affect GU in the matchup listed under Lunardi's Bracketology in the 2nd round? Seriously people calm down. GU has never been a one trick pony. Sure, Manny added some serious athleticism and rebounding prowess but this is why GU pays the big bucks to Few. I have faith in Few that he will figure something up and fire up the troops. Have faith.

Zag365
03-08-2010, 10:21 AM
I think that's exactly what happens. KO and Bol need to play like champs.

They need to loop the Bol YouTube vids, sit Bol in a room for 30 minutes by himself and make him watch.

When he comes out of the room Few just needs to say, 'do that.'

Go (GU) Team Canada! Hockey mentality, eh. One guy goes down, you shuffle your substitutions, the next guy steps up, you keep playing aggressively on your shift, and don't let down on intensity.

Robzagnut
03-08-2010, 10:24 AM
Mangisto's foot is broken.

Freakin, happens EVERY year. Darn It!

FrahmfortheWin
03-08-2010, 10:39 AM
I love the 'abandon ship' mentality of a message board during times like this. Perhaps we can breakdown how Manny's injury will affect GU in the matchup listed under Lunardi's Bracketology in the 2nd round? Seriously people calm down. GU has never been a one trick pony. Sure, Manny added some serious athleticism and rebounding prowess but this is why GU pays the big bucks to Few. I have faith in Few that he will figure something up and fire up the troops. Have faith.

+ 100

Thank you. The sky is falling line gets a bit old. A bump in the road, absolutely...the nail in the coffin? Hardly. Mannys hustle is the biggest lost, his stat line isnt so great that it cant be absorbed by the rest of the team.

Go Zags!

lothar98zag
03-08-2010, 10:46 AM
You know things aren't good when jazz is the ray of sunshine in a thread...

...but actually, I had the same thought. I hope history can repeat itself here.

Get well Manny! & Go Zags!

FuManShoes
03-08-2010, 10:56 AM
Of course the Zags will miss Manny's hustle, energy and knack for boarding but yesterday I saw a deep team that is a handful to match up against. The Zags have other options, namely Kelly and Bol, and both have the ability to make an impact off the bench on both ends. Hell, I've really liked what I've seen out of Hart, too. Folks need to step up, and that was going to be true even when Manny was an option. This just decreases the margin for error and puts some extra pressure on folks to deliver when iven the opprtunity. If Manny showed them anything it's that hustle changes games.

VinnyZag
03-08-2010, 10:57 AM
I thought of Nilson, too. This team, with so many freshmen and sophomores, has less of a margin for error than the senior-dominated 2000 team. Hope everything works itself out. Kong and Olynik are going to see bigger minutes for sure.

lothar98zag
03-08-2010, 11:00 AM
I thought of Nilson, too. This team, with so many freshmen and sophomores, has less of a margin for error than the senior-dominated 2000 team. Hope everything works itself out. Kong and Olynik are going to see bigger minutes for sure.
But Nilson was more important to that team than MA is to this one, IMHO.

who knows...

lothar98zag
03-08-2010, 11:06 AM
Just watched a replay of the game. Arop was in at the 14-minute mark, but looked fine, and there were really no significant events (e.g. jumping for a rebound, etc.) with him at that point. He came out briefly around 9 minutes, without a limp or any apparent injury. He went back in and played a few more minutes then (looking fine).

At 6:56, Arop whipped a pass in to Sacre, who scored on a jump hook.

There was a traffic jam under the basket (including Arop) when Sacre made the score. Arop was in the back of the crowd to the camera, so it's impossible to tell on the TV as to what happened. Presumably, he either landed on his left foot at a weird angle, or someone stepped on him. At that point, he appeared to be hobbling while heading back on defense. He nearly stumbled while defending LMU's next possession (fortunately we were in a zone at the time and he wasn't running all over the court chasing his man).

Hope it's not serious, for his and the team's sake. :( He's been a rebounding beast lately.

Thanks for that info. I rewatched the section around 14 minutes left & didn't see anything, so I was really curious.

It's a combo of things - skill, desire, vertical, practice, etc. But I think one thing that hasn't been mentioned is wingspan. I have no facts on this, but on TV and in the few games I've seen in person, it looks like he has very long arms for his size. This would allow him to make up for his lack of height when going for boards vs PFs & Cs.

wiszag
03-08-2010, 11:07 AM
Three Things:

1. Meltdowns like this are usually only reserved for the day after LOSSES.

2. I love Manny and he is going to be something truly special but he isn't Steven Gray or Matt Bouldin...YET.

3. It's trully a sad day when Jazz becomes the voice or reason, temperance and optimism.

Carry on.

23dpg
03-08-2010, 11:17 AM
I love watching Manny play. Mr Glue Hands. IMO, he was the most important reserve on the team.

That being said, someone will pick up the slack.

ps. I can't wait to see the defensive tandem of Meech, Gray, and Arop playing next year.....smothering!

Vizagra
03-08-2010, 11:28 AM
Small broken bone. Surgery scheduled for Wednesday.

Decent blow to the Zags...not the end of the world though. It just gives another ZAG a chance to step up and show what he can do!!

zagfan24
03-08-2010, 11:38 AM
Perhaps losing a player who was the epitome of hustle will motivate our guys to ALL step up their intensity, rebounding, and defensive effort a notch. I am excited to see how Gibbs, GJ, Kelly, and Bol respond...and send my best wishes to Manny for a quick recovery. Injuries and adversity are an inevitable part of the game...this is a big chance for the guys to respond.

kitzbuel
03-08-2010, 11:43 AM
The good news is that the Zags have a game tonight to figure out how spread his minutes before they get to NCAA play.

jimmy b
03-08-2010, 11:46 AM
This is a terrible loss.

My 4 and 7 year old son's call him the secret weapon because Dad saw him as such.

That said, someone will step up as Ryan did for Nilson, BUT you cannot say this isn't big loss.

Do you realize that he'd AVERAGE a double double with starters minutes based on his averages this year? And he's only been getting better and better.

MDABE80
03-08-2010, 11:48 AM
He'll be ready for next year. The kids will rally and win tonight. Sad loss. Nobody finds the ball like Arop. He just has that certain"nose" for the ball..He knows where it's going to be. Someone stepped on that foot. Lucky if it's only one bone. I love this kid. He's tough and he's committed and very well liked.
Nobody can take his place totally but Gibbs will surprise. Bol needs to fill this gap as bit too. It's always a "replacement by committee"....and this'll be no different. Sad to see him injured but those big guys who seem to have an aversion to hustling to track down the ball will have to work harder. I dont know if we can ask more of Steven....he'll do anything for this team. He's banged up but this is when the champions step up and rise to any challenge.

Definitely this hurts because of his performance but 1) he'll be fine for the next few years and 2) This team has enough talent to overcome if somebody else decides they want the ball when it comes off the rim.

dim4sum
03-08-2010, 11:58 AM
With Arop out, Sacre must become the double-double man he should be and what better way to start than with a superlative game against Sham Man.

cjm720
03-08-2010, 12:05 PM
With Arop out, Sacre must become the double-double man he should be and what better way to start than with a superlative game against Sham Man.

There's 4 other starters and 7 reserves...I get your point, but to single out Sacre you should have started another thread IMO.

maynard g krebs
03-08-2010, 12:06 PM
Only Bouldin, Gray, or Harris would be a bigger loss imo. And Manny is my personal favorite on this team. The games where he's gotten good minutes have been the best to watch imo.

I wonder if his minutes were limited most of the season in part because the foot was already weak, needing the boot in preseason.

Terrible, terrible news. Prayers for Manny.

john montana
03-08-2010, 12:07 PM
i'm of the "big, big blow" mentality. Manny just a different kind of player, and we have no one like him. Not a death blow, but ouch!

U Zig, I Zag
03-08-2010, 12:10 PM
He'll be ready for next year. The kids will rally and win tonight. Sad loss. Nobody finds the ball like Arop. He just has that certain"nose" for the ball..He knows where it's going to be. Someone stepped on that foot. Lucky if it's only one bone. I love this kid. He's tough and he's committed and very well liked.
Nobody can take his place totally but Gibbs will surprise. Bol needs to fill this gap as bit too. It's always a "replacement by committee"....and this'll be no different. Sad to see him injured but those big guys who seem to have an aversion to hustling to track down the ball will have to work harder. I dont know if we can ask more of Steven....he'll do anything for this team. He's banged up but this is when the champions step up and rise to any challenge.

Definitely this hurts because of his performance but 1) he'll be fine for the next few years and 2) This team has enough talent to overcome if somebody else decides they want the ball when it comes off the rim.

+1

Sensible

MedZag
03-08-2010, 12:27 PM
Team will be fine. I'm pissed because I loved watching Manny play and think he could have done some good things in the tourney.
Frick!

bballbeachbum
03-08-2010, 01:55 PM
Team will be fine. I'm pissed because I loved watching Manny play and think he could have done some good things in the tourney.
Frick!

right there...and, crap!

the energy defender, rebounder, heart, hustler-who-can-also-finish position...he filled that role super sweet. like a swiss army knife. we've heard the term Gamer applied to him..sure was defining it last night.

crap! Get well young man. All pulling for you.

bballbeachbum
03-08-2010, 01:59 PM
that Hart kid looks hungry out there, Fu, agree...on the newly available minutes, rebounding and just plain getting after it all over the floor are a premium...maybe gets him a shot depending...or a shot for whomever on the bench who will bring that charged attitude tonight, hopefully ALL

Would love KO to be that player, tonight. he'll surely get another chance even after last night, but he must be more aggressive, like the split second he hits the gym, let alone his first second in the game...be aggressive. better matchups for him tonight too imo.

man I like Mangisto Arop

sonuvazag
03-08-2010, 02:01 PM
Remember the Manny!

krozman
03-08-2010, 02:07 PM
Comon people, if anyone beats us now the win will be TAINTED!!!!

In all seriousness, Arop is a warrior that does all the hustle things when a player like bouldin has an off night. Losing Arop makes the margin for error smaller, but by no means does it make this team any less powerful. I doubt the selection committee even gets the news to be honest.

rawkmandale
03-08-2010, 02:15 PM
Comon people, if anyone beats us now the win will be TAINTED!!!!

You are right! Thank you for that reminder.

zag944
03-08-2010, 02:34 PM
Gwa..worst time ever to lose some one in your regular rotation. Heard this news and it ruined my day.

Shame on the referees yesterday for letting that game turn into such a slugfest. After all the ticky-tack crap they call all season too...

Hopefully the rest of the bench is up for some serious added responsibility.

NotoriousZ
03-08-2010, 02:44 PM
Quote: Originally Posted by jazzdelmar

You know things aren't good when jazz is the ray of sunshine in a thread...
...but actually, I had the same thought. I hope history can repeat itself here.

Get well Manny! & Go Zags!

So it's the Elite Eight--and beyond? It's a sign. We're on a mission from God.

zaguarxj
03-08-2010, 02:52 PM
Guess which reserve averages the most minutes per game as of today? It's...

Bol Kong!

CDC84
03-08-2010, 03:35 PM
http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/

Freshman wing Manny Arop, a key contributor off Gonzaga’s bench, is out for the year with a broken left foot. He suffered the injury during the second half of GU’s 77-62 win over Loyola Marymount in the WCC Tournament semifinals Sunday night.

Arop averages 3.5 points and 3.8 rebounds. He’s expected to have surgery Wednesday and recovery time is typically eight weeks