PDA

View Full Version : Our unbalanced roster may be a blessing

thespywhozaggedme
04-30-2007, 06:17 PM
I believe if everything plays out as it should this upcoming season will be GU's best ever. I'm so excited I wish I could teleport myself 6 months foward. anything less than an EE and I'd be disappointed.

PG: Pargo, Bouldin
SG: Bouldin, Gray
SF: Downs, Pendo, Daye, IB, LG
PF: Kuso, Davis
C: Heytvelt, Foster, Sacre

The luxury that we do have is the fact that so many players are interchangable. Basically the pf's and c's save for Foster can play either position and have. Micah can play the two and create all kinds of mismatches and Pendo, the heart and soul of this team, will do whatever is asked of him and do it without ever complaining. Daye can be our "Durant" player switching between the 3 and 4 between each posssesion if the need arises.

My only concern is the fact that God forbid one of our pg's gets hurt we might be in a bit of a pickle. Bouldin ideally shouldn't even be a point, he struggled mightly against Memphis last season turning the ball over a lot and barely getting it over half court on some possessions. I guess Micah can play the point foward ala Ammo a few years ago. Anyway, I can't wait for the season to start. Where's the dang flux capacitor when you need it?

DenDiegoZag
05-01-2007, 07:20 AM
Bouldin ideally shouldn't even be a point, he struggled mightly against Memphis last season turning the ball over a lot and barely getting it over half court on some possessions.

Do not discount the gains made between freshman and sophomore seasons, especially when it comes to ball handling and execution at the point. I think that it is safe to expect some similarities between the strides that Blake Stepp made between his freshman and sophomore seasons (not that I am saying that he was not great as a freshman). I think that Blake proved that a bigger guard can be an asset in our offense when he is playing the point. At the very least, it will be a great contrast in style to what Pargo will bring at the point. I think that excited is an understatement at this point.

Argentum
05-01-2007, 09:09 AM
Do not discount the gains made between freshman and sophomore seasons, especially when it comes to ball handling and execution at the point. I think that it is safe to expect some similarities between the strides that Blake Stepp made between his freshman and sophomore seasons (not that I am saying that he was not great as a freshman). I think that Blake proved that a bigger guard can be an asset in our offense when he is playing the point. At the very least, it will be a great contrast in style to what Pargo will bring at the point. I think that excited is an understatement at this point.

Actually Blake didn't make too many strides statistically speaking during his sophomore year because he was gutting it out on a bad knee that required surgery after the season. He did slightly improve assists and turnovers, but pretty much every other stats was down a little. In retrospect it's amazing to me that he was able to keep his stats close to the level of his freshman year.

2001 33 GS/30.9 min/64 3pts (37.6%)/119 R/115 A/78 TO/340 pts(10.3 pg)
2002 29 GS/26.6 min/47 3pts (35.6%)/117 R/120 A/67 TO/284 pts(9.2 pg)

DenDiegoZag
05-01-2007, 12:26 PM
Actually Blake didn't make too many strides statistically speaking during his sophomore year because he was gutting it out on a bad knee that required surgery after the season. He did slightly improve assists and turnovers, but pretty much every other stats was down a little. In retrospect it's amazing to me that he was able to keep his stats close to the level of his freshman year.

2001 33 GS/30.9 min/64 3pts (37.6%)/119 R/115 A/78 TO/340 pts(10.3 pg)
2002 29 GS/26.6 min/47 3pts (35.6%)/117 R/120 A/67 TO/284 pts(9.2 pg)

I looked over the stat line too, and I agree that the numbers do not jump up too much. I was speaking more about his command of the offense and his ability to "handle" being the point guard. Although his A/TO ratio did jump from a rather padestrian 1.47 as a freshman to 1.79 as a sophomore. That 1.79 was better than Dan's at 1.62.

CDC84
05-01-2007, 01:37 PM
I happen to have some concerns about Bouldin's ballhandling as well. It's almost as if he has unusually small hands or something. He loses track of the ball quite regularly, even when there isn't defensive pressure. Kind of odd.

I do have some concerns about GU's ballhandling next year. Beyond his free throw shooting, I think this is where we are going to miss Raivio the most. Having Pargo, Raivio and even PMAC in certain situations kept opponents from pressuring the Zags. Those guys could dribble through minefield. It was literally worthless to press Gonzaga, and in many cases, counterproductive.

There is a very real possibility that you will see more teams try to pressure the Zags full court next season. You know GU is going to see it with teams like Pepperdine and Memphis, but many others will probably try that tactic as well. It will be imperative for the staff to have the guys well drilled on press breakers....they will probably need to use their bigs and a guy like Austin Daye to break the press more than they have the last few seasons. That is, station a big or Austin in the middle of the floor as someone to pass to.

Akzag
05-01-2007, 01:59 PM
Having Pargo, Raivio and even PMAC in certain situations kept opponents from pressuring the Zags. Those guys could dribble through minefield. It was literally worthless to press Gonzaga, and in many cases, counterproductive.

Absolutely agree with you CDC, but I'll take it one step further ... a big who can bring the ball up, point-set-match, ala Adam his junior year, was our best weapon against the press. And that was with DRav, Pargo, and PMAC available. If Micah, Daye, or even Ira can help bring the ball up from time to time, that should neutralize most presses ... Waves and Tigers (oh my ... ) being the exceptions ....

CDC84
05-01-2007, 02:33 PM
My minor worry with Micah and Austin is that neither have the handles that Ammo has. At least from what I have seen. Which isn't to say that they can't handle the ball and help out.

youreachiteach
05-01-2007, 04:51 PM
Why do I get the feeling that "Mr Everything" Pendo will end up playing a few posessions at PG next yr...This kid can do it all!!

Dont sleep on LG as well folks.

MickMick
05-01-2007, 11:57 PM
Great passing always beats the press.

Against the press:

Bouldin dribbles full court = turnover.
Bouldin passes half court = 2 points.

And man can that Bouldin pass!

pretty simple actually.