PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Post Game Comments

ZagAddict
03-07-2010, 06:56 PM
Gottlieb - "Gonzaga's top 3 definitely has it, but the rest of the team doesn't". I can't say I disagree with his comments. Bouldin, Harris, Gray... the rest of the team really needs to elevate their play to advance in the NCAA tourney.

Jay Williams - "Gonzaga has a lot of shooters... Goodson can really shoot the ball..." I disagree with a portion of this statement. Gonzaga has a couple good shooters (Bouldin, Gray, Kong), but they aren't a deadly team from the outside and Goodson has no outside shot. I don't think Jay really knows this Zag team...

LMUZAG
03-07-2010, 07:01 PM
I think we have alot of shooters, but they do not yet have the green light. Few has his system, it works, and we will see who we have that can shoot it in the next couple years. But right now, we need to use our bigs, and if the zebras ever let them play, it will be a great tournament.

U Zig, I Zag
03-07-2010, 07:05 PM
i think those guys have watched a lot of ball today and are tired. honestly, these are not the things they would write about tomorrow if given the chance to dissect the game and look at the stats, etc.

Not that there was not any truth to what they brought up, but its not everything that is right or wrong with this team.

What I want to know is why Kelly doesn't play in these games... no matchups for him?

Reborn
03-07-2010, 07:09 PM
I disagree. We saw more from Sacre tonight than Harris

Sacre? He sat on the bench most of the night. Did you see the game Malestein? Sacre made one stupid foul after another. With him out of the game we really got killed on the boards. Sacre can play so stupid at times, and it scares me when he does.

The bench played great tonight, as did Gray (accept for his FT shooting). I hope Gray will be okay. Matt played rediculous again, for about the 4th game in a row. I think he is totally burned out. I felt that Few played him way to much all year long, and now you have Matt unable to have any fire. He is turning the ball over a lot, making stupid fouls and sitting, missing layup after layup. If he doesn't get his act together we AIN'T going to go too far at all. Matt really needs to have a serious talk with himself tonight. I don't know if we can beat St. Mary's with him playing like this. And we NEED to win tomorrow to get a good seed in Spokane. Come on Matty. YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Therunner
03-07-2010, 07:13 PM
Gottlieb - "Gonzaga's big 3 definitely has it, but the rest of the team doesn't".

OK. What does that mean exactly? Gottlieb up to his typical rhetoric; saying something with conviction, yet offering no explanation whatsoever. Besides, how many so-called BCS teams have a "Big 3" to speak of? Some teams only have a "Big 1" and a bunch of average players. If you ask me, at least we have a big 3, instead of a big 2, plus he's essentially saying Sacre/Goodson/Arop are useless and we know that isn't the case. I say Gottlieb's ego definitely has it, but the rest of his character clearly doesn't.

MickMick
03-07-2010, 07:18 PM
Kong is heating up and playing defense. Arop is a terror on the boards. Gray is making plays on both ends.

Those must be the three that he was talking about.

On a further note, Goodson fill me with much anxiety. Get under control son.

BroncoZAG615
03-07-2010, 07:24 PM
Matt hasn't looked good since Gonzaga's loss to LMU. That's concern #1.

As for Gottlieb, he serves one purpose and that is to make leaping comments to make up for Jay Williams' refusal to say anything that shows an ounce of research. It's literally one of the worst tandems in broadcasting.

Just A Zag
03-07-2010, 07:44 PM
Jay Williams is right, Goodson really can shoot the ball :eek:

Zagatak
03-07-2010, 07:49 PM
Sacre? He sat on the bench most of the night. Did you see the game Malestein? Sacre made one stupid foul after another. With him out of the game we really got killed on the boards. Sacre can play so stupid at times, and it scares me when he does.

The bench played great tonight, as did Gray (accept for his FT shooting). I hope Gray will be okay. Matt played rediculous again, for about the 4th game in a row. I think he is totally burned out. I felt that Few played him way to much all year long, and now you have Matt unable to have any fire. He is turning the ball over a lot, making stupid fouls and sitting, missing layup after layup. If he doesn't get his act together we AIN'T going to go too far at all. Matt really needs to have a serious talk with himself tonight. I don't know if we can beat St. Mary's with him playing like this. And we NEED to win tomorrow to get a good seed in Spokane. Come on Matty. YOU CAN DO IT!!!

After tomorrow Matty will have a week and a half to rest up before tournament time. Push through tomorrow Matt, then you have a while until our next game! Let's take care of business tomorrow night and prepare for the Tourney!!!

GO ZAGS!!!

WMS2GUBULLDOG
03-07-2010, 07:51 PM
Meech a good shooter? Where the heck was he pulling that from? Look the kid can do some nice things but that was just a blatant mistake. He was just saying something to say something. Once again I do not trust the talking heads. Gottlieb as well, the big three? You mean the one and a half who showed up tonight (i'm counting harris as a half). Rob has improved his defense but once again this team showed me it plays to the level of its competition (barring dukies). Its a sign of not necessarily a mentally weak team, but a mentally immature team. Gray was the key to tonight's game and he is a tournament changing guy, so I'm glad he is stepping it up again. Also that marquette team in 03 only had three main guys, so lets hope that makes for good fortune.

gum797
03-07-2010, 08:13 PM
Of all the games to make that statement, he makes it about this game when Matt struggled for most of the game. Kong and Arop came in during the first half and not maintained the lead, but expanded it. When I listen to him, I just think of a bitter man. As for Jay Williams, I really think he just gets flustered in front of the camera and says things about one player which were really meant for another player. I agree this is a terrible duo for ESPN

ZagHouse
03-07-2010, 08:21 PM
Doug's mic was not synced properly--the audio was off and it appeared to frazzle him. He couldn't spit out what he wanted to say. That being said, Jason's comment about Meech being a good shooter was a bit odd.

MEZAG
03-07-2010, 08:25 PM
Once again I do not trust the talking heads. Gottlieb as well, the big three? You mean the one and a half who showed up tonight (i'm counting harris as a half). Rob has improved his defense but once again this team showed me it plays to the level of its competition (barring dukies). Its a sign of not necessarily a mentally weak team, but a mentally immature team. Gray was the key to tonight's game and he is a tournament changing guy, so I'm glad he is stepping it up again. Also that marquette team in 03 only had three main guys, so lets hope that makes for good fortune.

Credit LMU before you throw all out guys under the bus. We just basically won the WCC title game tonight. A full strength LMU is the best team in the WCC not named Gonzaga, and more athletically talented than we are. Matt was hounded tonight physically, very well defended.

WMS2GUBULLDOG
03-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Man you talking crazy smc and UP are way better than LMU, this year. As for athleticism, who on that team is a great athlete? I'll give you ashley, but after that who? Young aka ziggy? They are definitely not more athletic than us.

ZagLawGrad
03-07-2010, 08:42 PM
There's some truth to what Gottlieb said.

After MB, SG and EH, there isn't a lot of certainty as to what you will get and from whom. I see little reliability and consistency out of the freshman right now.

Sacre is scary mediocre right now----we need to see the Maui Sacre as soon as tomorrow night.

Zaglaw
03-07-2010, 09:10 PM
Let's put some context on Gottlieb's comment about some players having "it" and the rest not having "it." He was talking about NCAA tournament experience.

FieldHouseFishHouse
03-07-2010, 09:37 PM
Let's put some context on Gottlieb's comment about some players having "it" and the rest not having "it." He was talking about NCAA tournament experience.

Dot the Zags have three players with tourney experience? Sacre? Foster? I'm not sure there wasn't a mistake here by Gottleib.

cscz28
03-07-2010, 10:56 PM

That doesn't make any sense. Elias Harris has NCAA tournament experience?

azzagfan
03-08-2010, 01:49 AM
Biggest problem with Sacre's game tonight was the officials calling him ridiculously tight. He was a force defensively and really ate up space in the paint. Gonzaga sputtered and lost leads with Sacre on the bench, but they built leads when he was in. The game took on a different complexion with him on the bench, and LMU was able to do a lot of damage with penetration. Viney and Young got most of their stats when Sacre was on the bench.

Sacre needs to avoid the silly fouls better, but sometimes the officials are just whistle happy. That's especially the case with the WCC. Sacre is doing everything better now than ever except putting the basket in the hoop. He's really taken a step forward with blocking shots. Heck, the announcers are now calling him a good passer, when we know early in the season he was a black hole with just one assist per over 20 turnovers. Don't discount the improvements with his passing and defense. He's pulling a complete game together, slowly but surely. Hoping he pushes his game to a new level next year as well.

I think Sacre earned every foul tonight. We need him in there, but he has not consistently shown intelligent restraint on defense when he's in foul trouble. I agree his game is improving, but we need him on the floor for more minutes than he played tonight.

seasontixholder
03-08-2010, 05:49 AM
GU really was playing good defense early last night and set the tone for the whole game. Then Robert made a stupid, stupid, very stupid attempt to deny an inlet pass to his man, who wasn't anywhere near scoring range. Right there, I said that he would be forever fighting that extra foul that was completely unnecessary. It was adrenaline and primal instinct overcoming his coaching, and it led to inordinate amount of bench time. It was frustrating because he was the only effective presence in the second half when he was in. Otherwise, LMU had a free rein at the glass.

C'mon Robert, you're not a freshman anymore. Just stay behind your guy.

Zaglaw
03-08-2010, 05:52 AM
Bouldin, Gray & Meech.

Once and Future Zag
03-08-2010, 06:21 AM
Matt hasn't looked good since Gonzaga's loss to LMU. That's concern #1.

Matt looks like he's physically hurting a lot - his shooting hand in particular.

In any case I'd chalk up Gottlieb's remarks to being punchy at the end of the day.