PDA

View Full Version : Some musings onthe LMU game

Birddog
03-07-2010, 09:38 AM
I think the Zags play uptempo, transition BB. LMU will wear down in their 3rd such game.

Box out, LMU gets too many offensive boards.

Sacre has to be a beast and FINISH, no bringing the ball down low.

Somebody has to be a 3pt threat, Gray or Bouldin or both.

That Hamilton kid and Harris have some similarities in their game and stature. Harris has to be better than Hamilton.

LMU took a lot of shots early in the clock last night most were 3's. The Zags needto defend that.

I'd bet LMU with that spread (12pts) I don't think we cover.

The Zags need to press and trap regularly, LMU struggled against that.

BobZag
03-07-2010, 09:51 AM
Agree.

Come out with a purpose and play all-out.

I thought USF controlled the boards a bit more so Sacre, Harris, et al, need to clean up in there.

And could the guys get a lead and extend it, instead of pushing the cruise control button?

TexasZagFan
03-07-2010, 09:59 AM
Agree.

Come out with a purpose and play all-out.

I thought USF controlled the boards a bit more so Sacre, Harris, et al, need to clean up in there.

And could the guys get a lead and extend it, instead of pushing the cruise control button?

I'd like to see our men in the paint take over control of the game. That will disrupt the opponents' strategy of recent games to hound, harass, and otherwise beat up on Matt. It will really help if Steven can get off to a decent start. Anything to keep the bullseye off of Matt.

DADoZAG
03-07-2010, 10:01 AM
Nice, Birddog, BZ.

Another key will be how much energy the ZAGS expel while the ball is in the air. Far too often, the ZAGS seem to be spectators, both on the offensive and defensive ends, getting caught watching the ball on its flight to the basket rather than finding the opponent to box out or moving/spinning to get in position for rebounds.

The ZAGS must have the energy to put their foot on the throat of LMU early, and keep it there. The longer they let LMU hang around, the more in peril victory will become.

Go ZAGS!

MickMick
03-07-2010, 10:11 AM
LMU defended the Zags very well last time out. They had much to do with that lousy shooting percentage.

I will feel very uncomfortable if Bouldin, Gray, and Kong don't hit a few shots early to get in the groove.

Zags have to go athletic against this team. I think we will see less of players like Will and much more of players like Arop.

Rangerzag
03-07-2010, 10:15 AM
All of the above,

plus Zags can not give the refs a seat at the table.

Play strong, physical decisive but do not give the refs a chance to be a bother!

WMS2GUBULLDOG
03-07-2010, 11:03 AM
1-Rebounding, especially from sacre, and I think Mangisto as well
2-Steve gray has to get going in the first half
3-Steve must guard Vernon Teel
4-Must play the type of defense that makes this team the best defensive team we have had in years when focused
5-Go to Harris at high post out of a motion with him and sacre instead of the post feeds out of the flex
6-need to hit the roll on the pick and roll, easy way to get sacre going early, much like the Santa Clara game

jim77
03-07-2010, 12:18 PM
Birddog:"The Zags need to press and trap regularly, LMU struggled against that."

Dead on Birdog. The Lions looked awful against it...definately a chink in their armour.

bballbeachbum
03-07-2010, 12:56 PM
Birddog:"The Zags need to press and trap regularly, LMU struggled against that."

Dead on Birdog. The Lions looked awful against it...definately a chink in their armour.

zaggirl observed the same thing in another thread.

get up and down the floor hard, every time, every guy, on O and D, up and down the floor with purpose...and all things hustle...rebounds, tipped balls, getting in the passing lanes, cutting off penetration and recovering under control, floor burns to win balls with 2 hands, etc. all for 40 minutes all out

it's good to play a team that's beat us imo, playing well this time of year, to help gear up for the big dance

and win of course.

FrahmfortheWin
03-07-2010, 01:06 PM
Nice, Birddog, BZ.

Another key will be how much energy the ZAGS expel while the ball is in the air. Far too often, the ZAGS seem to be spectators, both on the offensive and defensive ends, getting caught watching the ball on its flight to the basket rather than finding the opponent to box out or moving/spinning to get in position for rebounds.

Go ZAGS!

+1 Dead on.

This and the lack of freethrow shooting have been my 2 gripes this season.