PDA

View Full Version : If I Were Basketball Czar for a Year

BobZag
03-07-2010, 08:58 AM
1. I'd abolish the 3-point line. It's a gimmick. Post players have to battle, scratch, claw and fight for 2-point baskets in the paint while guys are rewarded with three points for jacking up bombs. A basket should be a basket. Equality, baby. An alley-oop jam is far tougher to execute than a wide open set-shot from twenty feet away. It's gimmicky and fans accept it just because some rules committee approved it. Sheep led by wolves. What's new? What next, a 4-point line thirty feet out? Gimmicky.

What would you change?

U Zig, I Zag
03-07-2010, 09:03 AM
1. I'd abolish the 3-point line. It's a gimmick. Post players have to battle, scratch, claw and fight for 2-point baskets in the paint while guys are rewarded with three points for jacking up bombs. A basket should be a basket. Equality, baby. An alley-oop jam is far tougher to execute than a wide open set-shot from twenty feet away. It's gimmicky and fans accept it just because some rules committee approved it. Sheep led by wolves. What's new? What next, a 4-point line thirty feet out? Gimmicky.

What would you change?

First thing I would change is to reinstate the 3-Point line that was banished by the previous B-Ball Czar.

The 3-point line makes the game competitive and keeps teams honest. you are looking at Big East 4 on 4 type games if you take out the 3. ugly. Basketball is the most elegant sport. Let's keep it that way! ;)

If we are talking just CBK I would make guys have to play 2 years instead of 1 before leaving. This year's cruddy PAC-10 and general lopsidedness is from the one and done thing, I believe.

MickMick
03-07-2010, 09:14 AM
Put it NBA range for everyone....Pros, Europe, Women, High School....everything

ZagAddict
03-07-2010, 09:14 AM
I would link NCAA viloation penalties to both the school and coach. Using USC as an example... if a program were to hire Tim Floyd that school would not be able to play in post-season tournaments and would lose a scholarship. Using Calipari as an example... whatever penalties Memphis are handed for violations under Calipari's watch would apply to his Kentucky team. It is FAR too easy for coaches to break the rules and then bail to another program... it's really a HUGE black eye for NCAA basketball in my opinion. The program AND coach should both be held accountable.

U Zig, I Zag
03-07-2010, 09:21 AM
I would link NCAA viloation penalties to both the school and coach. Using USC as an example... if a program were to hire Tim Floyd that school would not be able to play in post-season tournaments and would lose a scholarship. Using Calipari as an example... whatever penalties Memphis are handed for violations under Calipari's watch would apply to his Kentucky team. It is FAR too easy for coaches to break the rules and then bail to another program... it's really a HUGE black eye for NCAA basketball in my opinion. The program AND coach should both be held accountable.

+1, better than my idea. Also, that 'World Wide Wes' dude shouldn't be allowed to tinker with basketball so much.

BobZag
03-07-2010, 09:22 AM
First thing I would change is to reinstate the 3-Point line that was banished by the previous B-Ball Czar.

The 3-point line makes the game competitive and keeps teams honest. you are looking at Big East 4 on 4 type games if you take out the 3. ugly. Basketball is the most elegant sport. Let's keep it that way! ;)

If we are talking just CBK I would make guys have to play 2 years instead of 1 before leaving. This year's cruddy PAC-10 and general lopsidedness is from the one and done thing, I believe.

I would have come back and overthrow my successer. :)

gamagin
03-07-2010, 09:23 AM
2.5 points. This would help us get more points despite shooting f.t.'s at 50%.

Please, don't bore me with your logic or math here, I'm dreaming.

Once and Future Zag
03-07-2010, 09:38 AM
Where to start... and lots of "heretical" ideas.

#1 - Put the 3pt line at the international distance for Men's and Women's CBB.

#2 - Have a "timer" ref whose sole job is to make sure the clocks are timing the game cleanly - and to enforce "timed" fouls, not by "feel" but by actual time.

#3 - Any fouls in the last 1 minute of game-time should incur a simultaneous 1/2 technical (1 shot - and 2 add up to a full foul towards fouling out) if the fouler is not clearly going for the ball.

#4 - See my post (http://guboards.com/showpost.php?p=529133&postcount=26) on 96 team tourney.

#5 - I'd second ZagAddict's post on penalties. Also - grant automatic waivers of transfer redshirts for any (non-infraction related) players if they want to transfer. Innocent players shouldn't be stuck on a sinking ship.

#6 - Since this didnt specify CBB only... Let HS players be eligible to be drafted, but if they pass at that point, require 2 years of CBB (or overseas) play to be re-eligible for the draft.

#7 - Create a real minor league system for basketball (closely mirroring baseball) - building off the D-League and creating 2 sub NBA levels.

MickMick
03-07-2010, 09:57 AM
I'm all for a standardization of conference sizes using the SEC format (do it nation wide).

12 teams, two divisions. Instead of incremental changes and shifts over a long period of time (Conferences endlessly robbing from another conference which, in turn robs from another), get it all done at once.

For example, take the Big West, MWC, WCC, and Big Sky and merge them into two 12 team conferences. Some schools will need to take up or drop football.

With such standardization, the NCAA could easily implement standardized rules.

For example, the regular season champ and tournament conference champ get auto bids. This being done without being forced to expand to 96 teams.

A football playoff would be much easier to implement as well.

VinnyZag
03-07-2010, 10:15 AM
To qualify for the NCAA tournament, a team must finish above .500 in its conference regular season.

willandi
03-07-2010, 10:43 AM
go to the Euro Key. Points in the paint are 1. Use the NBA 3 pt, and out to that are 2, past are 3, plus add an arc at halfcourt for 4pts.

I think it would add talent to the game, you can feed the post all day, for a point at a time, or step out and shoot for 2, 3 or even 4. Gimmicky? Sure, but makes it more a game of skill than having a big stuff the ball shot after shot (not that I have a problem with our bigs dunking, I just think it would add more skilled players into the mix).

willandi
03-07-2010, 10:47 AM

+2!!

75Zag
03-07-2010, 10:49 AM
All the basketball players would have to be above average, and all the cheerleaders would have to be good looking.

Or the other way around.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

seasontixholder
03-07-2010, 10:50 AM
Players had outgrown the size of the court by the time the 3pt line was instituted. It had grown crowded and ugly. More so now.

I'd raise the hoop 3 inches and subtract from 3pt percentage a bit; it would make the jam exciting for a change.

ZagHouse
03-07-2010, 10:50 AM
I'd lower the girls' hoops to 9 ft (what's basketball without dunks) and would have to seriously look at the use of time outs during the final 1 minute of regulation if a team is ahead by X number of points.

I'd also make ESPN pay a fine to a school if they don't break away when a game is scheduled to start.

willandi
03-07-2010, 10:51 AM
I actually like almost All of the posts here. I do think the 3 pt line is good.

Would we really want to see Omar in spandex with nipple rings???:lmao: :confused: :lmao:

Nevtelen
03-07-2010, 10:54 AM
To qualify for the NCAA tournament, a team must finish above .500 in its conference regular season.

Agreed. I'd also make all scheduling have to be either home-and-home or neutral-neutral. That would keep Big 6 teams from just loading up on cup-cakes at home in the non-conf and make sure that they have to actually leave their own court/state in the non-conference and give mid-majors an actual shot at having a decent schedule.

Kiddwell
03-07-2010, 11:13 AM
10-point buzzer-beater, half-court shot.

:]

NorthoftheBorder
03-07-2010, 11:22 AM
The biggest problem is that the last few minutes of close games turn into free throw shooting contests.

There should be special rules for the last two minutes of a game:

- if a team is fouled while shooting they get two free throws and the ball

- if it is not a shooting foul the team should get one free throw and retain possession of the ball

- no time outs allowed in the last two minutes ! - how exciting would that make the finishes to close games?

Once and Future Zag
03-07-2010, 12:55 PM

Seconded (for at least 1 win over .500)

gobroncsgozags
03-07-2010, 07:16 PM
I would abolish the rule that allows a team to call a timeout after a score but before the other team brings the ball in. I hate that rule. It really disrupts the flow of a game. You just made the basket, it isn't your ball anymore.

Ekrub
03-07-2010, 07:46 PM
I would start by requiring coaches to sign Letter of Intent to stay coaching at a school. If a coach signs a Letter of Intent and chooses to stop coaching at that school, he can't coach at any other NCAA school for 4 years. If the coach decided not to sign the letter of intent, he can coach at a school and leave at anytime. However, coaches not signing a letter of intent would definetly negatively effect recruiting.

I would implement this rule because I get sooo angry when I see coaches bail out for more $$$ or glory, and leave the kids he recruited behind. If these kids want to transfer it costs them a year. Coaches get no penalty.

dpouley
03-07-2010, 08:32 PM

Just to add to that... How many times in a game do you see a dunk, as opposed to a three pointer? Three pointers are much more common. And given that thought, shouldn't a dunk be worth more?

Maybe not, but its worth thinking about.

GoZAGsMang
03-07-2010, 10:19 PM
I would give it all away
and let BobZags have his way

No more threes for
Bouldin or Gray

Sacre would have to show the way
gettin more rebounds than he did today

No more Kong shooting
like its his birthday

Then I would have to say
Reilly never strayed

Morrison against Ok St
was a fluke anyway

You dont like the 3
and your not named George Gee

For the love of Pargo
dont make an embargo

on what Harris can make in the
dark.... yo

So what if Meech can not make them
please dont forsake them

Dont be mistaken
3's taste better than bacon

and one more thing

GoZAGsMang

Zagsker
03-07-2010, 10:43 PM
go to the Euro Key. Points in the paint are 1. Use the NBA 3 pt, and out to that are 2, past are 3, plus add an arc at halfcourt for 4pts.

I think it would add talent to the game, you can feed the post all day, for a point at a time, or step out and shoot for 2, 3 or even 4. Gimmicky? Sure, but makes it more a game of skill than having a big stuff the ball shot after shot (not that I have a problem with our bigs dunking, I just think it would add more skilled players into the mix).

I know these are all "what would you do" scenarios......but.......serious:confused:

maynard g krebs
03-08-2010, 01:18 PM
Go back to officiating the game like 30 yrs ago:

1) Eliminate pushing and shoving in the post. The only exception is for a rebounder with inside position. Make skill mean more than bulk and strength.

2) Call fouls when a defender moving laterally bumps a ballhandler.

3) Call all handchecks until players stop doing it. They will adjust. Eliminate Venoy Overton-style "defense" from the game.

4) Make jersey-grabbing an automatic ejection.

5) Call the carrying violation every time until players stop doing it.

6) Call traveling as it used to be called- 1 1/2 steps allowed, no more. (Sorry Elias)

HillBillyZag
03-08-2010, 01:25 PM
I know its ahrd for U to believe, but when I palyed H.S> ball back in the late fifties we had a 6'7" center who could dunk. Every time he did though the Coach made him run laps.

gamagin
03-08-2010, 01:28 PM
Go back to officiating the game like 30 yrs ago:

1) Eliminate pushing and shoving in the post. The only exception is for a rebounder with inside position. Make skill mean more than bulk and strength.

2) Call fouls when a defender moving laterally bumps a ballhandler.

3) Call all handchecks until players stop doing it. They will adjust. Eliminate Venoy Overton-style "defense" from the game.

4) Make jersey-grabbing an automatic ejection.

5) Call the carrying violation every time until players stop doing it.

6) Call traveling as it used to be called- 1 1/2 steps allowed, no more. (Sorry Elias)

on E-Harmony.com.

guardu
03-08-2010, 01:29 PM
9 foot rim so that I could be like Mike (I said like Mike not be Mike)

On a serious note though I would abolish the alternating arrow on jump ball calls and go back to the way it is supposed to be, jump it up. In my opinion the arrow is the single most absurd rule in high school and college basketball.

Zag4Hire
03-08-2010, 01:30 PM
I am not a fan of the kid who is only using the NCAA as a springboard but the inherent problem is the rule itself. Look, if you think you are as good as Moses, KG, and LeBron, just go ahead and go straight to the NBA. First you might want to check the list each year of the players that made it that left after their freshman year. The list is rather thin and some years have complete misses. The NBA has some fine PLAYERS but most of the TEAMS are horrible to watch. Learn something in college, learn to play as a teammate, learn discipline, and get a degree. Some one and dones buck the trend like Melo but most just do it because they have to.

CB4
03-08-2010, 01:46 PM
Get rid of the one-and-done. Make it like baseball... go pro out of high school or play college ball for minimum of two years.

Use the NBA half circle in the paint.

More rights for student-athletes with regard to video games, image use, etc.

voiceinthewilderness
03-08-2010, 01:48 PM
It was a travelling violation when Dr. Naismith invented the game, it was travelling 30 years ago, and it's travelling today. And move the 3 point line out about 7 feet, so the lost art of the 12-15 foot jump shot returns to the game. You might see FT % go up, too, as funny thing, the FT line is 15 feet from the rim.

zaguarxj
03-08-2010, 02:47 PM
Set a limit on the number of OOC home games a team can play.

BobZag
03-08-2010, 04:18 PM
I would give it all away
and let BobZags have his way

No more threes for
Bouldin or Gray

Sacre would have to show the way
gettin more rebounds than he did today

No more Kong shooting
like its his birthday

Then I would have to say
Reilly never strayed

Morrison against Ok St
was a fluke anyway

You dont like the 3
and your not named George Gee

For the love of Pargo
dont make an embargo

on what Harris can make in the
dark.... yo

So what if Meech can not make them
please dont forsake them

Dont be mistaken
3's taste better than bacon

and one more thing

GoZAGsMang

Five-stars! (I looove bacon, though)

:allhail:

BobZag
03-08-2010, 04:20 PM
I would also outlaw conference tournaments. The Ivy League does it right. Because they're smart.

CaZagAlum
03-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Would we really want to see Omar in spandex with nipple rings???:lmao: :confused: :lmao:

I caught a little Delly nipple during last night's St. Mary's game and I wanted to re-enact the scene from Ace Ventura Pet Detective when Ace realized Einhorn is a man (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSPtSEIlp8A&feature=PlayList&p=C857317C5609387D&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=2). :vomit-smiley-007:

If I was Basketball Czar, I would force St. Mary's and Portland to buy some jerseys that fit (i.e. no more gaping armholes).

GoZAGsMang
03-08-2010, 04:38 PM
I am a bit ashamed, but I was trying to use bacon to show you the error of your ways.

GoZAGsMang

willandi
03-08-2010, 06:58 PM
I know these are all "what would you do" scenarios......but.......serious:confused:

I'm sorry!!! I thought that this was intended for people that wanted ideas that might improve basketball. You are right. Lets make it 8' hoops, no 3 pt line and not call any fouls. What a game!!

willandi
06-05-2010, 06:32 AM
She came up with this idea. Leave everything the same, but put the basket on a randomly generated motion pattern, up to 6" in any direction, up, down, side to side, diagonally or zig-zag. Can you imagine an attempted dunk when the basket zips away?

It would lower scores at least.

(Intended as a humorous mental picture, so don't get your undies in a bunch.)

bullzag23
06-05-2010, 06:55 AM
....give a 1 year postseason ban to any team that dares beat the Zags in the regular season. :D
Also I'd turn the tournament upside down and eliminate seeding. Every team selected would be assigned a ping pong ball (like the lottery) to determine who plays who in the first round, and again for the second, third, etc. Each time a team is eliminated they lose their ball. Who doesn't want to see UNC v Duke in the first round to get one of them out of the way? :p

willandi
06-05-2010, 08:49 AM
....give a 1 year postseason ban to any team that dares beat the Zags in the regular season. :D
Also I'd turn the tournament upside down and eliminate seeding. Every team selected would be assigned a ping pong ball (like the lottery) to determine who plays who in the first round, and again for the second, third, etc. Each time a team is eliminated they lose their ball. Who doesn't want to see UNC v Duke in the first round to get one of them out of the way? :p

Aside from the logistical problems, that would be great.

mnzag24
06-05-2010, 08:59 AM
NCAA rule banning Dave Libbey from any area within 100 miles of where the Zags are playig.

MickMick
06-05-2010, 09:29 AM
I'm at a loss when it comes to conference consolidations.

I was for it until I saw the direction the NCAA wants to take it. Their view is to trivialize the "little guy". My view is to give the "little guy" more significance.

To expand on the concept of a few "super conferences" at the expense of "the rest" is not what I had in mind when suggesting conference consolidation. My consolidation concept was in the spirit of being more inclusive.

titopoet
06-05-2010, 10:03 AM

What would you change?

Yes make the game about only being the biggest and toughest. Also, eliminate fouls entirely, and make the winner the team either the most points or most alive players. The game needs to go back to its roots, tlachtli, (http://www.pslc.ws/macrog/exp/rubber/aepisode/tlachtli.htm)with losing side has to be sacrificed to the Aztec Gods for a good harvest.

Jyz
06-05-2010, 02:33 PM
regarding college ball:
shotclock to 24 seconds.

regarding NBA:
drop this annoying defensive 3 seconds rule.

BobZag
06-05-2010, 04:03 PM
Yes make the game about only being the biggest and toughest. Also, eliminate fouls entirely, and make the winner the team either the most points or most alive players. The game needs to go back to its roots, tlachtli, (http://www.pslc.ws/macrog/exp/rubber/aepisode/tlachtli.htm)with losing side has to be sacrificed to the Aztec Gods for a good harvest.

I'm all for good harvests. :D

dim4sum
06-05-2010, 05:10 PM
If I were basketball king, I would not allow freshman to play varsity ball.
Let's end once in for all the farce of having players with not the least intent of ever graduating from ever donning a varsity uniform.. That calls the bluff of the whole perverted system and puts the King of Jerks, Calipari on notice.

mgadfly
06-05-2010, 05:31 PM
If I were King ...

1) Pay the King a very handsome salary for his trouble.

2) Each team gets 2 time-outs in the first half and three in the second half with NO media timeouts (we can have little adds on the top or bottom of the screen like soccer but stopping play for two or three minutes at a time 7 to 10 times per half is annoying and eliminates some of the advantage of actually having conditioned athletes).

3) Set the three point line for all levels at the International 3 line.

4) Tighten the rims a couple inches to decrease 3 point and FT shooting percentages.

5) Set the shot-clock for all levels (both genders) to 35 seconds (why should big giant athletes not have to carry their bulk around for thirty seconds against a motion offense? Shorter shot-clocks mean less defense, less conditioning, less skill, so get rid of it -- if I wanted to see a game of isolate or pick and roll I'd watch 3 on 3 or games of H-O-R-S-E.)

6) Triple the number of pro teams but have a European style system where teams can move up or down between pro-levels.

7) Make the pros play by the college rules including calling an occasional travel, or offensive foul.

8) Make Fox the new color guy for Zags television games.

RenoZag
06-05-2010, 07:33 PM
I would suspend Dookie V from broadcasting during my term in office.

I would ban Digger Phelps from using a highlighter that matches his tie.

I would insist any game featuring the Zags be broadcast in HD and available on DIRECTV.

Kiddwell
06-05-2010, 09:49 PM
(1) Expand the MAC to seat 9,000.

(2) Annually allocate half-a-dozen prime MAC season tickets to Kiddwell & Co. (for free).

(3) Designate the Zags as the Cornerstone Team vs. a Top National Contender every Thanksgiving in the Staples Center, then internationally broadcast that brouhaha at West Coast prime time.

(4) Renew the Star Trek franchise with a new weekly series. (Oops, how'd THAT get in here?)

:]

Jyz
06-06-2010, 04:10 AM
If I were King ...

5) Set the shot-clock for all levels (both genders) to 35 seconds (why should big giant athletes not have to carry their bulk around for thirty seconds against a motion offense? Shorter shot-clocks mean less defense, less conditioning, less skill, so get rid of it -- if I wanted to see a game of isolate or pick and roll I'd watch 3 on 3 or games of H-O-R-S-E.)

Thats not well thought out. Less time means more possesions, means running the floor more often, more intesity, more conditioning. Less time in offense means faster execution, more discipline, more tactical skill. For the defense that means more work to do, defend harder, switch faster, but means more tactical options too, go for press and steal some seconds until the opponent is able to set up a play for example. At the end of close games playing for clock violation is becoming an option, no steal, no foul, just plain vanilla defense.

In some college ball games it's just hard to watch this 35s offense. Passing the ball around the zone for 33 secs and then taking the bad shot. Well if it goes it goes but then you could have saved the audience bout 10 seconds of their life.

Bogozags
06-06-2010, 06:22 AM
Ok, I’m the boss and the first thing I would do is play the games in a “glass cage,” where the players cannot see or hear fans! I think the way fans try to distract players should be eliminated. It lacks sportsmanship and fans should never attempt to distract players from playing at their best. Enjoy the game for what it is as too much nonsense takes away from the game. Bring back camaraderie to the game, where participating means something. Take away the attitude of “winning at all costs!” The only ones that have to win at all costs are our service members!

Continue to use three officials on the court but add an extra official to be the timer.

Make the three point line standard in high school, college and international play.

Do away with officials touching the ball on violations.

Held balls automatically go to the defensive team. One jump ball at the beginning of each half and overtime period.

Enforce the following rules: traveling, carrying, three seconds, and always discount the basket on an offensive/player control foul. Remove the physical play underneath the basket.

Initiate the five year rule, where freshman do not play until their second year and can’t practice until after their first semester, so they can concentrate on academics. Medical redshirts would still be allowed.

If a coach leaves a program then all players have the option of leaving too, but not to the school where the coach transfers.

Scholarships would be for five years. If the coach recruited the wrong kid so be it. If a kid leaves early to play pro-ball somewhere, then the school would lose that scholarship for the for the remainder of the five years. Also, there would be no requirement to attend colleges period, if they opt to play pro ball so be it.

If a player opts for the draft but doesn’t sign a contract with any team, then they would maintain their eligibility and scholarship. No more deadlines. If you do not play for pay, then you’re still eligible.

If a player doesn’t graduate in five years, then the school would lose that scholarship for two years. Attending college should be about obtaining an education.

Give each player, regardless of the sport, a stipend of $500.00 per month.

Ban the “tennis shoe” industry for having any part in the recruiting game, to include shoe deals for coaches/ schools and sponsoring any tournaments. Ban AAU, USSSA et. al. amateur basketball leagues for high school players.

Restrict recruiting to the high school basketball season.

mgadfly
06-06-2010, 08:44 AM
Thats not well thought out. Less time means more possesions, means running the floor more often, more intesity, more conditioning.

If you want to watch people run back and forth there are plenty of sports that do that (soccer, track, etc...).

Also, in my basketball days, the toughest part of the game was playing intense defense requiring lateral movement against a half court offense. Running sixty or seventy feet in a straight line (and then usually standing and watching an isolation offense -- if we are talking 24 shot clock -- with timeouts every couple minutes) is not strenuous. There are 300 pound linemen in the NFL that can move their bulk around in a straight line twenty or thirty yards at a time for an entire game. Ask them (and me since I was a physically large athlete) to move sideways for thirty or forty seconds and it is an entirely different story with different conditioning requirements.

The same is often true for 6'5" 235 lbs athletes verses 6'0" 170 lbs athletes. The smaller athlete has an advantage the longer and more physically demanding the continuous action is. I think pro basketball favors relatively large athletes who are explosive rather than well conditioned. Just my opinion (and I believe the opinion is, contrary to your post, well thought out).

BobZag
06-06-2010, 08:53 AM
4) Tighten the rims a couple inches to decrease 3 point and FT shooting percentages.

In other words, you want to DOOOOM the Zags. lol.

surfmonkey89
06-06-2010, 02:15 PM
In other words, you want to DOOOOM the Zags. lol.

Should help our D

:)

dim4sum
06-06-2010, 02:17 PM
I would add an unpredictable element to the game. Under my plan at the start of each game there would be a gathering of captains at center court.
There would be some sort of a system involving drawing lots. There would be the option of a 24 second clock, a 35 second clock, a 17 second clock and no clock at all. Players would have to be prepared for any kind of strategy imaginabe. This would increase excitement and unpredictability, since the luck of the draw (no clock at all) would enable a Harvard to beat North Carolina.

schwagzag
06-06-2010, 04:43 PM
How did I miss this thread back in March?

Two words: Penalty Box