PDA

View Full Version : Mens NCCAA B-ball game in Spokane TODAY

bigparb
03-06-2010, 04:11 PM
Whitworth hosting 2nd rd game in NCAA D3 against Chapman...Da Bucs are the #4 team in the country and are riding a 24 game win streak....

bigparb will be there...

LynetteG
03-06-2010, 06:21 PM
what time??

rawkmandale
03-07-2010, 12:45 AM
Knockout in 2nd round
Fourth-ranked Whits pound No. 12 Chapman
Steve Bergum The Spokesman-Review

Jim Hayford has a favorite little recruiting line he likes to use when courting potential Whitworth University basketball recruits.

“I tell them, ‘We’re not the big time, but we are the best of the small time,’ ” the Pirates ninth-year head men’s basketball coach explained.

And on Saturday in the Whitworth Fieldhouse, Hayford’s fourth-ranked Bucs (26-2) did nothing to discredit their coach’s sales pitch, dismantling 12th-ranked Chapman University 77-56 to advance to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Division III men’s basketball tournament where they will face Eastern Mennonite (23-4) on Friday at a time and site that will be announced this morning.

A standing-room-only crowd that was officially announced at a seemingly low 1,760 – probably to keep the Fire Marshall from asking any questions – saw the Pirates put together a workman-like effort to bump their school-record winning streak to 25 straight and sideline the independent Panthers (24-3), who came in riding a 14-game streak of their own.

Senior center Nate Montgomery scored a game-high 23 points and pulled down a game-high 14 rebounds for Whitworth, which also got 22 points, four assists and three steals from senior point guard Eric Beal.

“Those two seniors stepped up on the big stage and really played well,” Hayford said. “Nate showed again why he’s one of the best post players in the country, and Eric really ran the show for us.

“We had a great game plan coming in, and while coaches make the game plan, it’s the players who have to get it done. And ours did tonight.”

Whitworth made a strong early statement against the nation’s top rebounding team, chasing down two offensive boards on their first possession, which ended with a David Riley putback. And the Pirates then went on to score on six of their next nine trips down the floor – against a Panthers team ranked third in the nation in field-goal percentage defense, nonetheless – and grabbed a quick 15-5 lead.

The Bucs built their advantage to 21-5 behind a swarming man-to-man defense that held Chapman scoreless for more than 61/2 minutes, but ran into a scoring drought of their own that lasted almost 31/2 minutes and let the Panthers close to within 32-26 at intermission.

But that was as close as they would get, despite Whitworth’s struggles from the 3-point line, where they have feasted most of the season.

Against Chapman, the Pirates made only two of their first 16 attempts from beyond the arc and finished an uncharacteristic 5 for 20.

“We were a little cold in that first half – I know I bricked a couple of 3s,” said Montgomery, who made the other seven shots he took from the field, along with 9 of 11 free-throw attempts. “But we still had a pretty good inside-out game and that got us some even better (long-range) looks in the second half.”

Hayford said he thought his players might have been “a little to amped up” in the early going.

“And I think that added adrenaline affected our shooting,” he said. “We’re as good a shooting team as any in the country, and we didn’t shoot the ball well tonight. But we shot it better than them.”

Chapman shot just 37.5 percent for the game and got only four points from its second-leading scorer Griffin Ramme, who was averaging almost 14 per game.

Conventional wisdom would suggest the Pirates will be sent east – maybe as far as North Carolina – for the four-team sectional that will determine one of the Final Four participants.

“It’s going to be a fun adventure, no matter where they send us,” Montgomery said. “And we’ve got great coaches and great teammates to do it with. I can’t wait.”

rawkmandale
03-07-2010, 09:50 AM
Whitworth will play Eastern Mennonite next Friday, with the location to be determined today.

EMU headed for NCAA
Division III Sweet 16

By Chris Lassiter • Sports Writer • March 7, 2010

HARRISONBURG — How sweet it is.

Eastern Mennonite University’s men’s basketball
team isn’t done rewriting the history books. The
Runnin’ Royals latest accomplishment: the
university’s first-ever Division III NCAA Sweet 16
appearance.

Playing at home before an electric crowd, the
Runnin’ Royals pulled away from the Wilmington,
Ohio, Quakers for an 85-71 victory Saturday night
at Yoder Arena in the second round of the NCAA
Tournament.

EMU junior forward Todd Phillips now understands
why it’s called the Sweet 16.

“There’s only 16 teams left in the nation,” the
junior. “That’s what makes it sweet.”

For the second night in a row, Phillips was huge in
the second half. After scoring four points in the first
half, he finished with a team-high 20. D.J. Hinson h
ad 16 huge points, and point guard George
Johnson played a heady floor game with 10 points
and five assists.

Eli Crawford had another monster game with 17
points and eight rebounds.

“We’ve matured so much, so quick,” Crawford said.
“We all just have a special bond. We all get a long,
and I just think that every day we spend with each
other and every game that we get, we get better and
better.”

Unlike EMU’s first-round opponent Centre,
Wilmington seemed content to run with EMU and try
to match the Runnin’ Royals point for point.

“Man, I was thrilled,” EMU coach Kirby Dean said
about the pace of the game. “We felt like we were
going to be in business if they pressed and trapped
us. Our motto is attack.”

EMU appeared ready to run away with the game in
the first half.

A 3-pointer by Crawford followed by a layup by
Phillips gave the Runnin’ Royals a 28-14 lead
midway through the first half.

Wilmington center Brandon Rogers almost single-
handedly kept the Quakers in the game. Rogers had
17 first-half points, including a stretch where the
senior made 13 of his team’s last 15 points.

“I felt like our team was down, and we needed a little
energy,” Rogers said. “I got it, and I just started
attacking. I did it time after time. I just kept going to
it.”

The Runnin’ Royals led 38-29 at the half.

The Quakers would pull within four on several
occasions, the last time on Tyler White’s layup that
cut EMU’s lead to 59-55.

At that point, EMU finally delivered the knockout
blow.

Martin Harrison came off the bench to hit a huge 3-
pointer, which sparked the run. Hinson sandwiched
a layup in between Johnson’s pair of free throws
and an assist. After consecutive layups by Hinson,
EMU’s lead had ballooned to 78-61.

Hinson dribbled out the final 20 seconds of the
clock, as the capacity crowd grew louder and
Advertisement louder.

The team now waits to find out its Sweet 16
destination. There’s a scenario where EMU could
also host the Sweet 16 and the Elite 8 games next
weekend as well.

Dean would love to be at home, but he also thinks
his team can compete well on the road. The Runnin’
Royals had some huge road wins in the ODAC.
Ultimately, Dean said the team would love to get to
Salem and avenge its conference tournament loss.

“These guys think they can win it,” he said. “Heck,
we might be able to win it. We might get beat in the
Sweet 16, but you know what, the sun is still going
to come out tomorrow.”

rawkmandale
03-07-2010, 10:58 AM
The pod that Whitworth is in will play Friday and Saturday at the Ragan-Brown Fieldhouse in Greensboro, North Carolina.

rawkmandale
03-07-2010, 11:17 AM
So, the Ragan-Brown Field House is on the campus of Guilford College, which Whitworth would likely play on Saturday, if they beat Eastern Mennonite. EM is located 211 miles from Greenboro, and the fourth team, Wooster, is 446 miles away in Ohio.

Whitworth gets to travel 2,548 miles to potentially play a 28-2 team on their home floor. But, so it goes in the budget-conscious DIII.