PDA

View Full Version : Not Bad,could Be Worse...

upan8th
03-06-2010, 01:27 PM
Okay, I know the Zags are not that good this year, Sagarin has them at #30, behind 9 loss teams Cal, Fla St, Mizzou, and Xavior. At Kenpom GU is #48, understandably behind stalwarts Minnesota (17-12) UConn (17-14) Dayton 19-10) and, WHAT?!! UDub (20-9) Sigh... For reasons known only to the ballboys who actually do the voting in the Coach's poll, GU is #14 in that ranking.

So my question is: How good are the Zags this season. Right now. And I don't wanna hear any diatribes about the meaninglessness of polls. I want to hear: They're better than @@#&%%!! Minneesota, I can tell ya that!!

The pollsters have had all year to evaluate, so they should have at least an inkling of which teams would prevail against another. If they don't, I do. The Zags, I believe, are a legitimate top 22 team that compare well to an athletic and somewhat underrated Baylor team.

And that's the name of that tune!

MickMick
03-06-2010, 03:03 PM
When things are clicking, I like them against anyone. I guess you could say that about anyone.

They have the elements. Inside play, outside shooting, speed, rebounding. The team is more complete than last year, with the exception of shooting the ball. Not that this team is bad, but the squad last year could really rack up points.

The only reason I bring up the comparison is because I sincerely believe this team has the goods to advance because they can match up to a broad range of styles.

Which brings me to their major weakness (in my opinion)

Not free throws, not unforced turnovers (like last year), not rebounding.

The Zags are struggling against dribble penetration. LMU and USF exploited it. Memphis saw it on film and game planned it. Fortunately, the refs called a few charging fouls that turned the tide. Quick, penetrating guards appear to be this team's bane.

So in the end, it is all about match ups. I can see a guy like John Wall, Nolan Smith (Duke) or Ish Smith (Wake Forest) just blowing by our guards and putting our bigs in serious foul trouble. If we go against a guy like Dellevadova (who is a remarkably good player) or Bohannon (Wisconisn) then the Zags can use their length at guard too somewhat neutralize them without fear of them blowing by.

Did I say it was all about match ups?

alaskazagnut
03-06-2010, 03:21 PM
Okay, I know the Zags are not that good this year, Sagarin has them at #30,

the Zags are great this year. They peaked in Maui, troughed against Duke, re-peaked in Illinois, troughed twice in Cali. Now we are "movin on up" to another peak. I believe we are poised for the greatest run in Zag history.

All the gloom and doom reverse psychology and fear of talking about winning a N.C. is silly. If we can talk about possibilities and the how and why's of success, then we can talk about anything.

Go Zags!!! A Final Four is yours for the taking!. You are that good this year. You are that capable and you are that tough this year. Just never quit, whether it be a big loss or a big win. Always believe in yourselves and the program. Just take care and execute each possession to the best of your ability.

The Zags are as good as what the stats and polls would have been if they would have beat Wake and USF. I believe they are even better than the 27-3 team we could have been. But that is my opinion. We haven't even hit our highest peak yet.

bballbeachbum
03-06-2010, 05:04 PM
When things are clicking, I like them against anyone. I guess you could say that about anyone.

They have the elements. Inside play, outside shooting, speed, rebounding. The team is more complete than last year, with the exception of shooting the ball. Not that this team is bad, but the squad last year could really rack up points.

The only reason I bring up the comparison is because I sincerely believe this team has the goods to advance because they can match up to a broad range of styles.

Which brings me to their major weakness (in my opinion)

Not free throws, not unforced turnovers (like last year), not rebounding.

The Zags are struggling against dribble penetration. LMU and USF exploited it. Memphis saw it on film and game planned it. Fortunately, the refs called a few charging fouls that turned the tide. Quick, penetrating guards appear to be this team's bane.

So in the end, it is all about match ups. I can see a guy like John Wall, Nolan Smith (Duke) or Ish Smith (Wake Forest) just blowing by our guards and putting our bigs in serious foul trouble. If we go against a guy like Dellevadova (who is a remarkably good player) or Bohannon (Wisconisn) then the Zags can use their length at guard too somewhat neutralize them without fear of them blowing by.

Did I say it was all about match ups?

hey MickMick, agree on the matchups thing completely. it matters a lot.

re. those guards, don't those kinds of guards give anybody fits, not just GU? More to the point, re. Memphis, you win some and lose some...like on Kemp's final drive vs. Meech, when he dribble-drove and threw up that tough shot that missed, remember that? big D play at a critical moment right there, vs. dribble penetration. it's not like you can keep them out of the lane every time...and no one does. But, these GU players and team are capable of battling it out, D possession by D possession, pretty darn well, without getting gutted possession after possession on dribble penetration...it's a big deal, though not every battle is won, nor can be vs. penetrators...but many can be and are! Memphis is a good example of that.

also think the breakdowns on interior D have complicated things for everyone on the floor defensively...USF does that well against us, not just Lowhorn alone, and it changes the dynamic of our D, especially if we're also giving up the O glass. USF has used that approach as the can opener, then we're reacting to it, opening up lanes, etc, and then it's that much harder to deny the dribble....just my opinion of course :)