PDA

View Full Version : It Makes You Appreciate What GU Has Done

BobZag
03-06-2010, 12:52 PM
George Mason, St. Joe's, Tulsa, Southern Illinois, Davidson, Creighton, the list goes on and on. All recently had great seasons and nice runs in the NCAAs but each has sunk back into mediocrity.

And yet, Gonzaga just keeps plugging away, stringing together Dance after Dance, year after year, and more often than not the next year looks even more promising than the last year.

It's uncanny what Mark Few & Co. are doing and have done.

Even powers like UConn, UNC, UCLA, LSU (made FF a while ago), Florida, etc. fail to make the NCAAs and in some cases fail to make the NIT. And most of those teams have multiple McDonald's All-Americans.

So often people tend to take what Gonzaga has done for granted, but really, if you step back and look at it, it's freakin' amazing for a lil ol' Catholic school in Spokane.

MickMick
03-06-2010, 01:47 PM
Heck....I thought it was amazing 10 years ago. The consistency is downright unique in this modern age of scholarship limits and growing talent pools.

Stop and think about the ratio of population growth to Division 1 school growth (taking into account roughly a dozen scholarships per school). The talent pool is growing at a vastly superior rate to the number of schools with Div 1 hoop programs. Add to this the explosion of basketball popularity world wide and another huge pool of talent to draw from. Combine that with scholarship limits, mega talents departing early for the NBA, and you have the makings of parity like it has never been seen before. There has never been a more level playing field.

This is why coach Few's accomplishments are so amazing. He has won 10 consecutive league titles, has the highest winning percentage in the game, and is doing it in an era when such things should not be happening. For a school like Gonzaga? This really, really should not be happening.

Then there is the scheduling. He seriously attempts to challenge the team. Trying to schedule while looking a year into the future, how would one know that a team that played in the national championship game (Michigan State), a team that had the #1 overall pick and made noise in post season (Oklahoma), a traditional big 10 powerhouse (Illinois), or a team that was the latest of the Cinderellas (Davidson), would not have the type of clout relative to what they did last year or seasons past? If anything, a testimony to how difficult it is to maintain your status from year to year.

The CBE looks awesome next year, but will Duke, Marquette, and Kansas State fall on their face? You can only schedule by what you know now.

Reading some other boards, there are people questioning if teams like Davidson and UConn should be looking for new coaches. Unbelievable.

I dread the day when that happens here. I hope Zag nation gives Mark Few and staff a very long leash when/if the program hits a bump in the road.

ZaggyStardust
03-06-2010, 01:55 PM
This is EXACTLY why Coach Few should finally be awarded with COY honors! It is a travesty that he has never won that honor with what he has done and continues to do!

Reborn
03-06-2010, 03:20 PM
If Zags make it to the Sweet 16 I think he should be considered Coach of the Year. If the Zags make it to the Elite 8 he will be COY.

alaskazagnut
03-06-2010, 03:32 PM
So often people tend to take what Gonzaga has done for granted, but really, if you step back and look at it, it's freakin' amazing for a lil ol' Catholic school in Spokane.

of taking the success for granted. But I still think we can do even more over the next decade!

Go Zags!! Forever.

jazzdelmar
03-06-2010, 04:23 PM
phenomenon: a rare or significant fact or event : an exceptional, unusual, or abnormal person, thing, or occurrence

i have long felt the Zags are a phenomenon worthy of serious treatment on "60 Minutes" or HBO's RealSports....not silly puff pieces on ESPN by BCS honks who cant wait for the Zags to fail for that "told u so" moment (lets see, that wd be Digger, Vitale, not Franny, Gottlieb, Bilious, etal)., but an indepth study of just how do they do what they do. BZ rightly points out the flops of recent CBB starlets. The Zags burn still.

maineblackbear
03-06-2010, 04:49 PM
Agree totally with Jazz; GU's last ten years are brilliant. Seriously, think through this-take ten minutes--log off-- smoke a "cigar" reflect-- since 1999. We are spoiled. (actually, we resemble the stereotype that some people apply to us) It is not all luck or happenstance or whatever. Other than the opinion that we would have lost to Memphis anyway (in the UCLA year) we have overachieved and continue to do so....

the real sick thing--the totally embarassing admission? Sorry, Matt--we will be better next year than this . . . mbb

MDABE80
03-06-2010, 04:58 PM
"So often people tend to take what Gonzaga has done for granted, but really, if you step back and look at it, it's freakin' amazing for a lil ol' Catholic school in Spokane."

BobZag

Having been with the school since we were nuthin...I know. I doubt there are words to convey how far this place has come. I remember when we had to beg for a game with D1's. Even then...we always drove...and just were 2nd class citizens when it comes to collegiate sports. Always great kids but just head bowed. Guts galore mind you but just not enough facilities or cash to step up. Momentum has changed now. It's a big big story every year. Zags are loved pretty much back to where we were prior to a misbehavin kids a few years back.

Soon we'll see an E8 and FF. Luck rules when you get that far. GU has done well....more than we imagined way back when. SO let's go beat these guys! WCC is ours to lose.... next Sunday come the seedings...so we'll see. We need to get tougher. No more goofy grins till the work is done. Elias...son..sharpen those elbows again....the Zags have work to do....

lothar98zag
03-08-2010, 09:50 PM
For the record:
http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/GONZ/

As far as I know, GU's first post season game (NIT) was played at the end of the 93-94 season.

This is what GU has done during the 17 seasons between 93-94 & 09-10:

Win either WCC regular season or tourney = 16/17
20+ win season = 16/17
Post season tourneys = 16/17 (13 NCAA (assumed in this year) + 3 NIT)
Post season wins = 16 in 16 (this year not yet included)
10+ WCC regular season wins = 15/17
1st place WCC regular season = 14/17
Less than 10 losses for the year = 14/17
WCC tourney champs = 10/17
Win both WCC regular season & tourney = 8/17

To be continued...

MJ777
03-08-2010, 09:57 PM
For the record:
http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/GONZ/

As far as I know, GU's first post season game (NIT) was played at the end of the 93-94 season.

This is what GU has done during the 17 seasons between 93-94 & 09-10:

Win either WCC regular season or tourney = 16/17
20+ win season = 16/17
Post season tourneys = 16/17 (13 NCAA (assumed in this year) + 3 NIT)
Post season wins = 16 in 16 (this year not yet included)
10+ WCC regular season wins = 15/17
1st place WCC regular season = 14/17
Less than 10 losses for the year = 14/17
WCC tourney champs = 10/17
Win both WCC regular season & tourney = 8/17

To be continued...

Those are really great numbers for any school, but for a small Jesuit University they are simply amazing.

alaskazagnut
03-08-2010, 09:58 PM
We are stellar. We are unique. We have forged new ground. We are pioneers. We are the flagship for every mid-major. I love my ZAGS!!!

But I still want more and I truly believe, so do they.

They can do it but they have to try harder, work harder, play harder and pray harder.

lothar98zag
03-08-2010, 10:04 PM
We are stellar. We are unique. We have forged new ground. We are pioneers. We are the flagship for every mid-major. I love my ZAGS!!!

But I still want more and I truly believe, so do they.

They can do it but they have to try harder, work harder, play harder and pray harder.
yes!

Proud but not satisfied. Always want more.

RockandRollJames
03-08-2010, 10:05 PM
Those big-time schools can afford a bad season every once in a while. We cannot. If there is an off year for us, I fear that we will recede back to where we were before this amazing story. The stakes are raised for us and we are delivering! Impressive! :cheers:

WMS2GUBULLDOG
03-08-2010, 11:28 PM
I feel like we are establishing enough tradition now to be really something. Programs go as far as their coaches go, for better of worse. About the time we earn the designation West Coast Marquette.