PDA

View Full Version : Top 12 Zags of the last 12 years: #5

VanillaGorilla
03-06-2010, 11:11 AM
For me one of the hardest rankings was the difference between 5 and 6. What do you think? did I get the order correct?

12. Jeremy Pargo

11. Derek Raivio

10. Cory Violette

9. JP Batista

8. Richie Frahm

7. Matt Bouldin

6. Ronny Turiaf http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=27337

5. Casey Calvary
http://www.lostlettermen.com/wp-content/themes/sandbox/images/authors/146.jpg

Why heís here: Casey Calvary wins basketball games in March, plain and simple. No Zags has played in or won more tourney games than Casey and he did it in only three years. Casey has impressive career totals with 1,509 points and 757 rebounds and a GU record 207 blocks, and these numbers are even more impressive when you consider that unlike a lot of guys on this list Casey wasnít a huge contributor as freshman he scored less than 4 ppg as a freshman and still finished 7th all-time at GU. Hell, he didnít even average double figures his sophomore year either. Itís hard to remember that when our defining memory of him that year is tipping in the runner against Florida. That really speaks to how good he was statistically his final two years. His final year he put up what at the time was the 6th highest points total ever scored in a season at GU. He really became a good scorer his final two years and his rebounding numbers remained consistent always around 6-7 per game

He was a flat out intimidator. He made that very clear to his opponents. You donít mess with Casey. Whether he is shattering a backboard on your head or swatting your layup into the 8th row, when you saw those crazy eyes from him it meant bad news. He was such a good shot blocker that his freshman season is 9th on the all-time single season blocks list and he played only 14 minutes a game. That is crazy

Itís funny to think how much of his legacy is based on being in the right place at the right time. Some could call it luck, but perhaps Casey made his own luck. If Hall and Dickau hit their game winners there are no tip-ins for Casey to make, or if those balls careen off a different direction Casey gets two only 2 sweet 16s and no elite 8. If those things happen he is at least two spots lower on this list if not more. But as it is he is one of the great heroes in Gonzaga lore.

If you have time, you should check out the media guide and look at the all-time tournament leaders. Casey is all over the place. Not only is he up there in the categories youíd expect like points, rebounds and blocked shots, but he is also in the top 10 in 3pt makes, 3pt %, and assists. That is just great versatility from a big.

Finished 7th all-time in scoring (now 11th, what a difference a decade makes); Finished 4th in rebounding (now 6th);1st in blocks; 6th in FG made and 5th in FG %

Why heís not higher: I think # 5 on this list is his ceiling. Almost every guy in the top 7 has an argument for being higher on the list, but I donít think I could realistically move him up. He is already getting bonus points for his tourney performance. If this was a regular season only list he would be behind Turiaf and Bouldin for sure. Like Turiaf he won the WCC POY his senior year, but he may not have been the best player on that team. Dickau averaged 19 ppg and 6 apg to go along with 48% from 3. Though 18pp and 6 rpg by Casey was pretty damn good.

jazzdelmar
03-06-2010, 11:43 AM
matt s, ammo, dd and bs.....

adoptedzag
03-06-2010, 12:46 PM
matt s, ammo, dd and bs.....

WHY WOULD YOU RUIN THE SUPRISE?!?!? :( :( :(

:)

Larrylegend
03-06-2010, 01:47 PM
Casey is my favorite Zag.... EVER.

krozman
03-06-2010, 03:00 PM
VG needs to draw this out until April 1st, and make Mark Spink #1.

Dickau43
03-06-2010, 06:53 PM
This is a great list and enjoyable to read all about my favorite players from the past, although I can't believe Pargo made the list. And I know Morrison is going to be #1 but I think Dickau should be.

VanillaGorilla
03-06-2010, 07:36 PM
Out of curiosity who would replace pargo for you? It was pretty cut and dried for me as far as the top 12. The order has been tough but I knew who the twelve were pretty easily

Dickau43
03-07-2010, 04:32 PM
Tyler Amaya!

Seriously though, I know he's top 12 statistically but I'd replace him with pretty much any player to ever play at GU. I'd much rather have a good role player like Kyle Bankhead or David Pendergraft or Erroll Knight or Anthony Reason.

Pargo compiled some solid numbers at GU and he had some good games and moments but for the most part he was a tremendous disappointment and he was absolutely terrible at the end of close games.

I can't put him on a 'greatest Zags of the last 12 years' list when I think we would've been better without him; and I think we would've been a better team had Pargo gone elsewhere and Bouldin had played PG since day one (and we'd be debating if Bouldin should be #3 on this list instead of #7).

MDABE80
03-07-2010, 06:52 PM
No matter the numbers, Pendo has to be in this...

23dpg
03-07-2010, 07:05 PM
I think you're spot on VG. Great analysis on every player reviewed so far.

lothar98zag
03-08-2010, 11:47 AM
wow 43, how do you really feel?