PDA

View Full Version : Rodney Stuckey Collapses During Game

Zagpower
03-06-2010, 06:36 AM
http://www.freep.com/article/20100306/SPORTS03/100306006/1051/SPORTS/Pistons-Stuckey-is-doing-well-after-collapse

Hopefully, everything is OK with this young man!

MedZag
03-06-2010, 03:01 PM
Sounds like everything is ok, thank goodness. Will be interested in hearing what the diagnosis is. Looked like a presyncopal/syncopal episode to me.

My money is on WPW. It's fun to diagnose over the television. :)

LynetteG
03-06-2010, 04:27 PM
Hope they do an echo on him to rule out HCM, DCM, etc.

MedZag
03-06-2010, 09:57 PM
Hope they do an echo on him to rule out HCM, DCM, etc.

Guarantee it Lynette. Any episode of syncope in a young athelete you're pretty much obligated to r/o HCM/HOCM. Plus he's a famous athlete and they took him to the Cleveland Clinic. Hell they probably did a cardiac fMRI.

MDABE80
03-06-2010, 10:20 PM
Every athlete who is at this level should have ultrasound to look for structural abnormalities. Been saying this for years. In the case exercise echo should be used to see if there is major outflow obstruction with exercise. 15 minute protocol...saves lives...prevent trouble...see if there's others in the family, etc etc..

MedZag
03-06-2010, 10:47 PM
Every athlete who is at this level should have ultrasound to look for structural abnormalities. Been saying this for years. In the case exercise echo should be used to see if there is major outflow obstruction with exercise. 15 minute protocol...saves lives...prevent trouble...see if there's others in the family, etc etc..

Luckily it looks like this is becoming more standard of care for pre-draft and pre-trade physicals. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Ronny's aortic anyeurism was picked up with a TTE. Especially being such a benign non-invasive test, you wonder why they haven't been doing this for a while.

LynetteG
03-07-2010, 08:34 AM
yes TTE for Ronny, and he had an enlarged aortic root. I agree with you both, it's an easy non-invasive test, should be mandatory in my view. Heck I would be willing to be the designated echo tech for men's college BB :)

ronh_pm
03-07-2010, 08:45 AM

+1

The starting quarterback (http://athletics.sfu.ca/teams/football/news/nine_dittrich/)of the team I photograph passed away last year with an undiagnosed heart condition. He was swimming, rehabing his shoulder when it happened. I'm not a doctor of course but I'm sure this could have been detected with the technology of today.

U Zig, I Zag
03-07-2010, 09:08 AM
yes TTE for Ronny, and he had an enlarged aortic root. I agree with you both, it's an easy non-invasive test, should be mandatory in my view. Heck I would be willing to be the designated echo tech for men's college BB :)

Ronny's enlarged heart was apparent to anyone that knew him and watched him play. too bad it was physically malformed/enlarged as well. Ronny!

Stuckey is a baller, our area was lucky to have him here. He comes back around now and again. Good guy. I watched one of the DD charity games two or three years ago (?). He just dominated - he didn't even have to try and he was faster and better than anyone on the court. sweet scorer. Get well RS!