PDA

View Full Version : Zags Won't Win WCC Tourney

BobZag
03-05-2010, 10:41 AM
Lack the necessary fire.

The loss to USF fired up this team for 3.5 games before they slipped back into their sleepy ways. The loss to LMU lasted 2 games before they returned to their ho-hum approach. That's this team.

From the coaches to the leader, it's laid-back. This team had plenty of motivation before but failed to respond and promptly lost. But things like seeding and tourney locale just don't move this bunch.

They're not hungry.

OTOH, as Few pointed out in today's S-R, the other teams (LMU, USF, SMC, UP) are incredibly hungry and are going to be hyper-motivated because their bid to the NCAAs all hinge on beating Gonzaga. They'll be desperate.

Zags won't be.

It's just who this team is. It's this team's personality. Very laid-back. Relaxed. "Don't worry, we're already a lock for the NCAAs."

Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice, shame and me. After the USF and LMU losses, I "won't get fooled again."

jazzdelmar
03-05-2010, 10:47 AM
beezer-- i assume this is not a red herring...regardless, i agree wholeheartedly.....sadly, though............i esp agree w ur line that seeding and site are of little interest...in the last Few show he cdnt have been less enthused abt playing in Spokane.......cept for some babble abt players in their beds.....a weird vibe all yr from this staff and team.....sigh.....of c, the top question is, can they turn it on in the NCs....

laszagas
03-05-2010, 10:51 AM
http://www.lvrj.com/sports/stiffer-competition-awaits-gonzaga-in-wcc-tournament-86527857.html

zagsmyboys
03-05-2010, 10:51 AM
Well BobZag..I normally agree with every post you post or comment you make....but this one I really have to differ. They have played each of these teams twice and know their strenghts and weaknesses. I think that we will do well. I do agree with you when you say they can be very laid back...but I think they really want this just as bad as the rest.

tinfoilzag
03-05-2010, 10:53 AM
We are doomed.

It's about time.

MDABE80
03-05-2010, 10:54 AM
I think BZ's right on this. Somehow...along the way...something majorly has changed since Hawaii....not sure how to define it. Just not much fire now.
Even the coaches are cool. Sure the team can rise up when it wants or when it got beat...but those losses don't seem to change the temperment.

If the fierceness recurrs this year, we'll be fine...if not...things won't be fine.
Rob is working better but not like he was in early season. Same with Elias. We need those two fired up down low to succeed. No amount of convincing will matter untill they're behind by 15 and facing the last game of their season. Just remarkable how things have mellowed. Might be good for the soul but it amounts to lousy , sleepy, unenthused basketball.

Stache
03-05-2010, 11:00 AM
Teams mirror the personalities of their leaders. Matt is a quiet warrior.

primal23
03-05-2010, 11:07 AM
Wow I have been out pessimisted. In jest or no? I think if its USF in the semi's, we might not be in the final, so I am pulling for LMU, who at least will be on their 3rd game.

75Zag
03-05-2010, 11:12 AM
BobZ's prediction is probably about as popular as me making a large "Don't Pass" bet at a Vegas crap table when that cute 22 year old woman comes out as a new shooter, but I tend to agree with him. Betting on her to go bust is unpopular but realistic, just like predicting against GU is unpopular but perhaps realistic.

GU is coasting right now. Maybe something fires them up between now and Sunday night. Hope so.

Now back to the crap tables. The cute 22 year old is about to shoot again and she has missed 4 points in a row. Prosperity, here I come!

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

Pleasant Peninsula
03-05-2010, 11:29 AM
If they coast through the WCC tournament, then they'll be coasting out of the NCAA tournament after a game, or maybe two. If they can't step it up starting next weekend, then they never will. Maui was a long, long time ago.

LynetteG
03-05-2010, 11:38 AM
We are doomed.

It's about time.

+1
been waiting for the doom from BZ!

Reborn
03-05-2010, 11:39 AM
I totally disagree with BZ, and do so whenever he slips into the We're doomed mentality. He has strayed away from the "we're doomed" attitude only because it grew stale. This is the same thing, he's just coming at it differently (trying to fool us).

I have never been a part of the "we're doomed" group. I try to stay away from negative thinking in times like these. This is a very good Gonzaga team. They have proved it all year long. There is a camp of people who think USF and LMU are cupcakes and as in past, and that the Zags should just blow them out. LMU and USF are NOT cupcakes, and now have made the conference championship a worthy tournament. There will be no cakewalks for sure, but it's not because The Zags are "overconfident" or "soft at heart." No! These guys are warriors, and superior to most teams that have gone before them. Why not give the guys the credit that they deserve, and have fought for all year long. I think it's unfortunate, and sad, that so many fans are turning on them now.

I will stand up against any fan who tries to rally a bunch of negative thinking behind him within Zag Nation. Our team doesn't deserve it. Conference play, as Mark Few has said, is a long arduous battle. What team came out on TOP? Our warriors. And now we are going to back down and say they will NOT win the tournament? NOT ME!! They are going to win, and we will be proud of them. Or at least I will. Maybe some of you will be disappointed if we don't blow them all out by 20 (like last year). But the truth is that the teams are better this year, and USF and LMU are much better. From the beginning I have always seen this as a gutsy team. A team that we all said was tough, and perhaps the toughest team in years? I remember that it was often said that this team is better than last year's. Why are some changing their minds now, now that we're at the most important part of the year? Why are we they won't get up for games in the WCC tournament? And Imply we are not tough? I haven't been sucked into the pessimistic camps around Zag Nation, and I won't begin to get sucked in now. Go Zags! Kill 'em!!!

jim77
03-05-2010, 11:43 AM
The only team that will have anywhere near a home crowd in Vegas will be the Zags. However, It might not even matter how fired up they get or the crowd...LMU might just be the better team...and the team that eliminates 95% of my Fantasy basketball pick competition. I look for a war sunday night......

titopoet
03-05-2010, 11:48 AM
Stir the soup, stir, stir, stir.

Salsageek
03-05-2010, 11:51 AM
That's okay because we will be on fire for 3.5 games during the ncaa tournament. That's elite 8 in my book. :D

GonzagaSwagga
03-05-2010, 11:55 AM
The only team that will have anywhere near a home crowd in Vegas will be the Zags.
+5,000 :D

lothar98zag
03-05-2010, 12:04 PM
If they coast through the WCC tournament, then they'll be coasting out of the NCAA tournament after a game, or maybe two. If they can't step it up starting next weekend, then they never will...
Exactly. I think people should expect them to play NCAA game(s) like they play WCC tourney game(s). Lucky for me, I don't expect any more coasting this year.

I am predicting/hoping that from here on out this team will be fine. I base this on how they played throughout the season & how I break down the season into parts:

Part 1 - 6 games:
November games (home opener, @MSU, & Maui)
Assumed mindset - season is finally starting & they're ready to show everyone they're better than expected + goal to win Maui
Quality of play/Level of fire - High! http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

Part 2 - 5 games:
Post Maui - Xmas break
Assumed mindset - we won Maui & we're awesome! Uh-oh we lost, maybe we aren't so good - panic!
Quality of play/Level of fire - Good enough to horrid (Duke)

Part 3 - 5.5 games:
Post X-mas break to middle of USD game
Assumed mindset - If we don't fix this now, our OOC season is shot & the start of our WCC season is lost. Let's do this!
Quality of play/Level of fire - High! http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

Part 4 - 4.5 games:
middle of USD game to USF loss
Assumed mindset - The WCC is ours, our tourney spot is locked in. How long until mid-March?
Quality of play/Level of fire - Just good enough to oops!

Part 5 - 3.5 games:
Portland to middle of USD game
Assumed mindset - oops, the season isn't over yet & these teams are good. Let's do this!

Part 6 - 5.5 games:
middle of USD game until now
Assumed mindset - The WCC is still ours, our tourney spot is still locked in. How long until mid-March? (Mixed in with a mini bump back into "motivated" after the LMU loss, but mostly sleepwalking)
Quality of play/Level of fire - Just good enough to double-oops! (plus mini-high run, but almost not worth noting based on it being against the 2 of the 3 worst teams in the league)

Basically, when they, in their own minds, had something to play for and/or prove and weren't patting themselves on the back too much, they were really good. Other times, well - they struggled. So...

Part 7 - at least 2 games:
WCC & NCAA tourneys
Assumed mindset - WCC teams think they have a chance. People doubt us. We'll show them! (NCAA mindset is TBD based on WCC results, but most likely similar.)
Quality of play/Level of fire - based on the above season review I'm guessing High! Hopefully I'm not wrong. http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

bballbeachbum
03-05-2010, 12:20 PM
Lack the necessary fire.

The loss to USF fired up this team for 3.5 games before they slipped back into their sleepy ways. The loss to LMU lasted 2 games before they returned to their ho-hum approach. That's this team.

From the coaches to the leader, it's laid-back. This team had plenty of motivation before but failed to respond and promptly lost. But things like seeding and tourney locale just don't move this bunch.

They're not hungry.

OTOH, as Few pointed out in today's S-R, the other teams (LMU, USF, SMC, UP) are incredibly hungry and are going to be hyper-motivated because their bid to the NCAAs all hinge on beating Gonzaga. They'll be desperate.

Zags won't be.

It's just who this team is. It's this team's personality. Very laid-back. Relaxed. "Don't worry, we're already a lock for the NCAAs."

Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice, shame and me. After the USF and LMU losses, I "won't get fooled again."

it's certainly a possibility, and because of what you say. we'll see. I remember similar realizations expressed after the LMU game on the gamethread.

on the intensity in the effort, re. LMU or USF, it's more than that now, too, because those two teams truly believe they can beat us...different animal than the typically assumed equation that GU victory = just showing up ready, or whatever imo. it is requisite, but just the ante (hey 75Zag and cute 22 year old high roller) to victory vs. them and other good teams that show up ready to rumble, too...but a table clearing ante for us it can be. GU won many of those games this year, not all of them, but many...see record.

so we can, then we can't, then we can again...young, flawed, and delightful! who are we next? and next again?

I'll say this: Matt the senior teammate; how best to express respect and thanks to the senior leader than to show up primed to represent full on when it matters most...that is, now and from here on. good line of focus, with whatever else too...but some true inspiration to be mined there imo

and then play and win

I hope. we'll see.

GO TEAM ZAGS!!!

sonuvazag
03-05-2010, 12:24 PM
That's okay because we will be on fire for 3.5 games during the ncaa tournament. That's elite 8 in my book. :D
You unlocked the puzzle.

cjm720
03-05-2010, 12:27 PM
BZ, I'll take that bet if you're offering :)

U Zig, I Zag
03-05-2010, 12:31 PM
You unlocked the puzzle.

What did he win?

I think we take it to 'em in WCC Tourney play. Same thing as last year. I would like SMC to get to the tourney but not at any expense to the Zags' seeding, confidence, Tourney location.

Remember the build up last year as Patty was coming back going into the WCC tourney and all the drama? GU made SMC look the fool. 83-58.

It's a new year and lots of new players but the fact remains GU is a notch above. If they play like they need to prove it they will prevail.

WMS2GUBULLDOG
03-05-2010, 12:38 PM
Man you talking crazy. We coast because the WCC is a joke and its hard to get up for crappy teams. Tournaments are different though, plus we only need two games to get into the tournament. We will win the tournament. We are a talented team that is mentally tough in games, but not game to game. We are a tournament team, and lets be honest, LMU and USF will not happen again, this is the perfect warmup to get our boys going for the NCAA's. In the NCAA's though our max is sweet sixteen, but my guess is first or second round loss.

webspinnre
03-05-2010, 12:47 PM
I love ya BZ. If only people were more familiar with the "we're doomed" approach.

thickman1
03-05-2010, 12:51 PM
Maybe I'm not seeing things clearly but I fully expect GU to blow through WCC with 20 point wins in semi's and finals. I just don't see any other scenario playing out.

sonuvazag
03-05-2010, 12:54 PM
What did he win?

The silver lining.

On a similar note, I had a friend insist the Zags will get ousted in the first round and acting like I was a pollyanna for taking him up on that bet, straight up.

It is a possibility for the Zags to lose in Round 1, but the most likely outcome?

What do you call someone whose expectations are so colored by pessimism that they expect negative outcomes even when they are not likely? I'm looking for a word (to counter the derogatory "polly") which is suggestive of a fan betting against a positive outcome for his or her own team that is actually favored by oddsmakers?

I would call him someone I like to be around consistently when bets are being made, but I'm looking for something snappier.

MickMick
03-05-2010, 01:21 PM
Zags toughest matchup will be the winner of LMU and USF. I think they cruise against SMC/Portland.

Less about who is the better team and more about how the matchups go. Portland and SMC simply can't penetrate from the guard position like LMU and USF can. The Gaels or Pilots would never win a track meet with the Zags.

Zags can hang with the slower (or undersized) guards all day long.

TexasZagFan
03-05-2010, 01:35 PM
Man you talking crazy. We coast because the WCC is a joke and its hard to get up for crappy teams. Tournaments are different though, plus we only need two games to get into the tournament. We will win the tournament. We are a talented team that is mentally tough in games, but not game to game. We are a tournament team, and lets be honest, LMU and USF will not happen again, this is the perfect warmup to get our boys going for the NCAA's. In the NCAA's though our max is sweet sixteen, but my guess is first or second round loss.

Another newbie is sucked in by BZ's annual "Pre-WCC Tournament We're Doomed" post. :lmao:

The Zags are ready to rumble...

BTW: GREAT post, lothar.

jazzdelmar
03-05-2010, 01:57 PM
The silver lining.

On a similar note, I had a friend insist the Zags will get ousted in the first round and acting like I was a pollyanna for taking him up on that bet, straight up.

It is a possibility for the Zags to lose in Round 1, but the most likely outcome?

What do you call someone whose expectations are so colored by pessimism that they expect negative outcomes even when they are not likely? I'm looking for a word (to counter the derogatory "polly") which is suggestive of a fan betting against a positive outcome for his or her own team that is actually favored by oddsmakers?

I would call him someone I like to be around consistently when bets are being made, but I'm looking for something snappier.

Cas·san·dra
Pronunciation: \kə-ˈsan-drə, -ˈsän-\
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin, from Greek Kassandra
Date: 1542

1 : a daughter of Priam endowed with the gift of prophecy but fated never to be believed
2 : one that predicts misfortune or disaster

how about Cassie, as in Cassandra? Works for me.....

23dpg
03-05-2010, 02:04 PM

Is that a pun?

sonuvazag
03-05-2010, 02:08 PM
Cas·san·dra
Pronunciation: \kə-ˈsan-drə, -ˈsän-\
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin, from Greek Kassandra
Date: 1542

1 : a daughter of Priam endowed with the gift of prophecy but fated never to be believed
2 : one that predicts misfortune or disaster

:lmao: I'm tired of all these Cassies.... yeah that works.

MDABE80
03-05-2010, 02:26 PM
Just wait and see. Unless this team gets serious...it'll be a much shorter season than many of us planned. Wake up call in progress...I hope...:)

titopoet
03-05-2010, 03:30 PM
Not only that, Bobzag, but Coach Bennett will learn from the rise of Notre Dame, and bench his version of Luke 2.0, Omar. St Mary wins it all.

His statement at the end of the Championship game, Omar is POY by warming the bench.

tinfoilzag
03-05-2010, 03:45 PM
I totally disagree with BZ, and do so whenever he slips into the We're doomed mentality.

I understand your position but...

Actors tell each other to 'break a leg' before a performance, no one talks to a pitcher during a no-no, and I believe we can't even beat Pepperdine right now.

Xin Loi 67
03-05-2010, 03:46 PM
I have a hot dog and a soda, you can take it all or fade any part of it. Either way I eat or drink the next time I see you.

I know you're off and you do to. I do wish they could be left alone through this period. I've got it, a new Harry Potter book would work just great.

75Zag
03-05-2010, 03:51 PM
Anybody down here know of a sports book that is taking action on who wins the WCC tournament? Tried Wynne and Hilton and no luck. Thanks in advance, and

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

alaskazagnut
03-05-2010, 04:19 PM
Just wait and see. Unless this team gets serious...it'll be a much shorter season than many of us planned. Wake up call in progress...I hope...:)

This means that you think they are not serious right now. I disagree.

john montana
03-05-2010, 05:36 PM
I will be surprised if we win the tournament. Everyone else will be playing for the NCAA tournament and we certainly have lacked fire. I hope i'm wrong, but I can see an uninspired effort approaching.

snebzag
03-05-2010, 06:28 PM
BZ must be listening to the "Who" "won't get fooled again." Go back to Pink Floyd. Maybe a bit of Led Zepplin, "No Quarter" No mercy in this one. This tourney will be about coaching. All know Zags are better than all other teams. The staff will need to make adjustments fast. Solve the double teams, substitute quickly on poor play, push it when it's rolling-go for the throat. Coaching in this tourney will win it. So let's see how Few and staff do. They have the horses. Oh, I guess a free-throw percentage in the upper 70's would help. Not worried. My dog's of doom are not howling. Gonzaga is the best team in the tourney, they should and will win.

alaskazagnut
03-05-2010, 06:50 PM
People worry about the team reading actual in depth critique on this forum but then threads like this pop up. Bobzag was being sarcastic, but BZ is a genius at drawing out the real doubters from the ones who are perpetually ready and waiting for his gloom and doom thread that shows up before every big game.

snebzag
03-05-2010, 07:05 PM
Not sucked into BZ's gloom test, just trying to get him back on track in the correct musical frame of mind.

No Quarter.

Close the door put out the light,
You know the Zag's they won't be home tonight,

The snow falls hard and don't you know,
The winds of Thor are blowing cold,

They're wearing steel thats bright and true,
They carry news that must get through,

They choose the path where no one goes,
They hold no Quarter, They hold no Quarter.

ZagAddict
03-05-2010, 09:54 PM
DEPTH will be the Zag's biggest weapon in the WCC tournament...

Semi-Finals: A semi-final matchup against LMU or USF will be against a team that is playing on no-rest. LMU will have played two nights in a row, and USF will have played the night before the matchup with the Zags. Yes, both teams will be hungry, but it will require A LOT more from either team to beat the Zags in a neutral court game than their previous wins over the Zags.

Finals: A championship match most likely will include another grudge match against a Gael team that realistically goes 6 deep... Mitchell Young is going to have to log minutes in a game against GU. If Samhan has to log major minutes in a semi-final game, I don't think he has the fitness level to log 30+ quality minutes in a final game. (Samhan didn't even last an entire game against GU in the Kennel this year) This will be a GU/SMC match up on a neutral court... not in a dark gym with people hanging from the rafters somewhere in Moraga. Remember last year's WCC final? - GU 83/SMC58 Remember the last GU/SMC game in the Kennel? GU 80/SMC 61. I know the Gael's will be playing for their NCAA tourney lives again, but GU should be a heavy favorite heading into this game... oh and the Zag's 8/9 man rotation will provide the difference.

I know anything can happen in single elimination tournaments... but I like the Zag's chances :D

WMS2GUBULLDOG
03-05-2010, 09:55 PM
Haha good one bz, at least I passed though

JosephZags
03-06-2010, 07:56 AM
The silver lining.

He's a hater...drinking the hateraid...

JPtheBeasta
03-06-2010, 08:02 AM

Eeyore?

http://quizilla.teennick.com/user_images/I/IG/IGA/igarath/1139879007_eeyore1.jpg

Ziggy
03-06-2010, 08:23 AM
Eeyore?

http://quizilla.teennick.com/user_images/I/IG/IGA/igarath/1139879007_eeyore1.jpg

+1

gamagin
03-06-2010, 09:02 AM
now I can finally take the time to watch "This Old House" reruns over the weekend instead of the Zags' floundering in Vegas. I believe Norm is building a root cellar as I write.

lothar98zag
03-08-2010, 09:26 PM
Exactly. I think people should expect them to play NCAA game(s) like they play WCC tourney game(s). Lucky for me, I don't expect any more coasting this year.

I am predicting/hoping that from here on out this team will be fine. I base this on how they played throughout the season & how I break down the season into parts:

Part 1 - 6 games:
November games (home opener, @MSU, & Maui)
Assumed mindset - season is finally starting & they're ready to show everyone they're better than expected + goal to win Maui

Part 2 - 5 games:
Post Maui - Xmas break
Assumed mindset - we won Maui & we're awesome! Uh-oh we lost, maybe we aren't so good - panic!
Quality of play/Level of fire - Good enough to horrid (Duke)

Part 3 - 5.5 games:
Post X-mas break to middle of USD game
Assumed mindset - If we don't fix this now, our OOC season is shot & the start of our WCC season is lost. Let's do this!

Part 4 - 4.5 games:
middle of USD game to USF loss
Assumed mindset - The WCC is ours, our tourney spot is locked in. How long until mid-March?
Quality of play/Level of fire - Just good enough to oops!

Part 5 - 3.5 games:
Portland to middle of USD game
Assumed mindset - oops, the season isn't over yet & these teams are good. Let's do this!

Part 6 - 5.5 games:
middle of USD game until now
Assumed mindset - The WCC is still ours, our tourney spot is still locked in. How long until mid-March? (Mixed in with a mini bump back into "motivated" after the LMU loss, but mostly sleepwalking)
Quality of play/Level of fire - Just good enough to double-oops! (plus mini-high run, but almost not worth noting based on it being against the 2 of the 3 worst teams in the league)

Basically, when they, in their own minds, had something to play for and/or prove and weren't patting themselves on the back too much, they were really good. Other times, well - they struggled. So...

Part 7 - at least 2 games:
WCC & NCAA tourneys
Assumed mindset - WCC teams think they have a chance. People doubt us. We'll show them! (NCAA mindset is TBD based on WCC results, but most likely similar.)
Quality of play/Level of fire - based on the above season review I'm guessing High! Hopefully I'm not wrong. http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/images/icons/icon14.gif
what a waste of a post. someone should have told me Manny was going to get injured and Portland was going to roll over for SMC...

alaskazagnut
03-08-2010, 09:40 PM
Lack the necessary fire.

They're not hungry.

Zags won't be.

I tried to stay PC and less negative. If I would have said this I would have been slammed like normal.

Bobzag was right and actually this just reinforces ALL my opinions that they lack consistent fire and heart. Few needs to forge and fight to get our guys to play like every game is the finals and critical to their survival.

Everyone can STFU who disagrees that I shouldn't say the Zags need to change something somewhere. Go argue with a ST MArys an because they will thank you for believing it is OK to rest on our laurels when we play WCC games.

That is what we do and it is bad to constantly play average teams. We become average because we don't need exert the effort. Why risk injury. Why risk our opponents thinking we run up the score. Why hold our program to a higher standard? No one has a good argument that supports that our team is emotionally strong and mature. We are not. And it shows.

I pity the teams that have to play our juniors and sophomores next year.

If they can get that mental barrier off their back we will have another Decade of Excellence!!!! I don't want our standard to be 1-2 games then out. I want a standard of Elite 8 and Final Fours the next Decade.

MJ777
03-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Do you have any tips on the stock market Bob?

Zag79
03-09-2010, 03:52 AM
BZ called it. hope it gets fixed, and soon. ugh.

Zagatak
03-09-2010, 05:58 AM
BZ, you got any GOOD predictions for the NCAA Tourney? :D

ZagLawGrad
03-09-2010, 07:15 AM

This was a prophetic post of sorts.