PDA

View Full Version : G-Prep/Federal Way

Angelo Roncalli
03-05-2010, 08:48 AM
It was a shame that this was a quarterfinal game instead of the state championship game.

The Pups came out a bit nervous and Federal Way broke to an early double digit lead. Federal employed a diamond zone press that GP had trouble with. Eventually, GP settled down and whittled away at FW's lead, knotting the score at 21 in the second period. Federal Way then went on a run and went into halftime leading 30-22.

FW extended its lead in the second half, then G-Prep went on a huge 20-1 run from midway in the third period until mid-way through the fourth quarter. With about 4 minutes left in the game, Federal Way star Cole Dickerson (USF) committed two bone-headed fouls in the span of about 15 seconds. First, he went on an out-of-control spinning traipse through the key and drew an offensive foul (his fourth). G-Prep came down and worked the ball into Ryan Nicholas, who went hard to the basket. Dickerson fouled him, clawing Nicholas' face in the process. Nicholas was bleeding so badly he had to come out of the game. His sub hit both shots and Prep was up by 8 with 4 minutes to go, and Dickerson was out of the game. Unfortunately, so was Nicholas. The G-Prep trainer couldn't get the bleeding stopped for a long, long time and in the time he was off the floor, the Pups started unraveling.

While Nicholas was on the bench, FW's point guard Isiah Umipig (CSUF) scored 8 points and took over the game. Prep's lead dwindled. It was back and forth down the stretch, then with about 9 seconds left, Parker Kelly hit two free throws to put GP up by three. The plan was to foul Federal Way and send the Eagles to the free throw line, but the plan went awry when Prep froze up on the defensive end. Federal Way's Duckworth hit a three from the corner as time expired sending the game to OT.

OT--it was all about Umipig. He answered the bell every time. Down one with time running out, Umipig drove the lane with about 10 seconds on the game clock and hit a tough shot to give FW a one point lead. Prep didn't call time out. Maybe they should have. Their final shot at the basket was launched with about 3 seconds left from way beyond the arc. It hit iron and the rebound was long and couldn't be corralled. The horn went off.

Players:

Dickerson had 16 points and 8 rebounds by my count (I haven't seen a box). He played the post for FW, but he'll be an undersized 4 or a 3 in college. He brings two things to the game, talent and attitude, the former good, the latter not so good. His outside shot isn't as good as he thinks it is and his ball handling skills will have to improve if he plays the 3. He is effective in the paint. He'll be a quality player in the WCC. There is a question about his upside.

Umipig was the difference in the game. Prep didn't have anyone who could guard him effectively when they played man. He had about 25 points and took the game into his hands at crunch time. He has good court vision and controlled the game down the stretch. Federal Way was much more effective at the point than GP...the difference in the game. He is a very good free throw shooter...something you like to see in a point guard who's handling the ball at the end of the game.

Nicholas. He's a better outside shooter than Dickerson. I think he had about 18 points and 10 rebounds. Pretty good feel for the game. He's not as strong as Dickerson. He's a better passer, though. He's kind of a classic Portland tweener undersized big man. He works hard all the time he's on the court. If he develops like Sikma has, he'll be a solid contributor.

Parker Kelly. I don't think he'll have a D-1 career, but maybe... His shooting form is eerily similar to his dad's (former G-Prep and WSU star Terry Kelly) and that's a good thing. He elevates straight up on his jumper and he squares himself well. He was better than I thought he would be. It looks like he's grown about 4 inches since I saw him last year at the state tournament.

gamagin
03-05-2010, 09:21 AM
a real heartbreaker.

There is another kid on Prep's team with a GU connection. I'm sorry but I don't know his first name and it's not in the boxscore.

Young Sarbaugh (who scored 11 points in this last game) is the son of Tim Sarbaugh, a very popular teacher and counselor at GU for several years.

Tim died of cancer about a decade ago, leaving a wife and (I think) three children behind.

Zag 77
03-05-2010, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the excellent report Angelo. We were hoping to drive over if Prep had made the finals. The newspaper stories left out the part about Nicholas getting bloodied. Prep definitely is not the same without him on the floor. Sounds like Coach McIntyre called for the correct strategy to foul before FW could get off a 3-pointer. Unfortunately 16-17 year old kids make mistakes. Ironic to lose in OT in the quarterfinals 2 years in a row.

Hopefully Prep can put together a good team next year behind Sarbaugh since they "only" lose Nicholas and Nelson. However, Nicholas really has been an exceptional player.

MDABE80
03-05-2010, 10:29 AM
We'd like to see more of our local kids with Zags basketball. Nicholas apparently didn't fit well because his height and athleticism. He'll plague us for the next 4 years. Wish we could have that kind of kid.... good size...terrific shooter and rebounder.The one thing about him though : he wins and he's got the heart of a lion. If he's undersized (I suppose at 6 ft 7in he could be) , he'll figure out how to beat the other guy.

I'd bet that if he hadn't had his face scratched off, he'd have won this game. I also bet that if he could see through the blood, he'd have been bangin till the end. He seems to be that kind of kid...and that's the kind of kid Few should make room for...Just my opinion . Angelo...super good report.

zagfan08
03-05-2010, 11:01 AM
I was really hoping they'd foul 21 for Federal Way while he was bringing it up on that last play of regulation. He was struggling from the line on the night, and the opportunity to foul was definitely there.

As for overtime, the ball went through with 8 seconds and by the time Prep gathered it, inbounded, and got it past half court there was just 2 seconds remaining. Since the high school clock doesn't stop on a made basket inside of one minute, a time out would have been very helpful.

That said, I was extremely impressed with the coaching of Gonzaga Prep. The players were well-prepared, and they out-coached Federal Way throughout the game. It seemed like the Eagles stole it at the end. Just a great game, and it was fun seeing Gonzaga Prep believe more and more as the game went on after the slow start.

Zag 77
03-05-2010, 11:21 AM
I have commented before that Nicholas is the kind of player that Fitz would have recruited a dozen years ago. Play hard, play smart, blue-collar kind of player with a lot of intangibles.

zagirl2k
03-05-2010, 11:54 AM
a real heartbreaker.

There is another kid on Prep's team with a GU connection. I'm sorry but I don't know his first name and it's not in the boxscore.

Young Sarbaugh (who scored 11 points in this last game) is the son of Tim Sarbaugh, a very popular teacher and counselor at GU for several years.

Tim died of cancer about a decade ago, leaving a wife and (I think) three children behind.

His name is Chris Sarbaugh. I think there is a younger sister as well and that might be it. He was in the first grade class I student taught for 10 years ago!

Sounds like a really tough way to end the season. Sometimes I think it is easier to just get blown out by 20 rather than lose a heartbreaker like that.

Zag 77
03-05-2010, 12:39 PM
Chris Sarbaugh, who is a junior at G-Prep, has a sophomore sister (Mary) who is a JV basketball and soccer player who played with my daughter. Nice kids. Nice mom. Very nice grandparents who come to most of the games.

Angelo Roncalli
03-05-2010, 04:21 PM
GP loses to Decatur and will go home without a trophy. Nicholas had 26 for Prep.

kjstoph1
03-05-2010, 04:46 PM
We'd like to see more of our local kids with Zags basketball. Nicholas apparently didn't fit well because his height and athleticism. He'll plague us for the next 4 years. Wish we could have that kind of kid.... good size...terrific shooter and rebounder.The one thing about him though : he wins and he's got the heart of a lion. If he's undersized (I suppose at 6 ft 7in he could be) , he'll figure out how to beat the other guy.

I'd bet that if he hadn't had his face scratched off, he'd have won this game. I also bet that if he could see through the blood, he'd have been bangin till the end. He seems to be that kind of kid...and that's the kind of kid Few should make room for...Just my opinion . Angelo...super good report.

My sources in Tacoma tell me the zebras were singing the Federal Way fight song in the 4th quarter...

Nicholas will haunt Few somewhere in his career. His heart is twice as big as anybody playing for either GU, UW or WSU right now.

zag67
03-05-2010, 05:00 PM
I think that you could say, I zebra. It was something to watch, but that is all I will say.

dim4sum
03-05-2010, 08:25 PM
Jackson just beat Federal Way 53-45. Dickerson again piled on some dumb fouls, fouling out late when they needed him most. Kingma had 20. The more grounded team won. 8:30 pm., Friday

SCUZAG
03-06-2010, 10:14 AM
That was the worst case of being homered I have ever seen. Ever. But it was only one ref and he was brutal. Guy should never ref a game again.
That being said, Prep played a hell of a game and had every chance to win it and were in control during most of the 3rd and the 4th. Umipig is a player and he made a lot of tough shots. Prep made a few mistakes at the end and FW capitalized. But the entire team played a good game. Heartbreaking loss but a great game to watch.

zagfan08
03-06-2010, 11:16 AM
Being at the dome, I have to make a little correction.. Dickerson fouled out after the game was decided and Kingma went for 25. Jackson took it to Federal Way all night. The difference between Jackson and G-Prep was the first quarter, Jackson started out up 6-0 in the first minute and a half, Prep found themselves in an 18-6 hole.

I know the ref you're talking about, but Prep had every opportunity to win that game. They gave up an open 3 with a 3 point lead and missed one too many shots down the stretch. Even Nicholas missed a point blank jump hook in the last 90 seconds of overtime. It seems to me like Prep wasn't as motivated in the consolation bracket, and Decatur is pretty good too.

ZagLawGrad
03-06-2010, 04:56 PM
GP and Federal Way both being out of the tournament at this point highlights how impressive it was when Ferris went 59-0 and won two consecutive state titles. Not an easy feat.