PDA

View Full Version : Greivis Vasquez and Gonzaga

lothar98zag
03-04-2010, 03:01 PM
Watching the Duke-UMD game last night got me thinking. (always a bad thing, but anyway...)

I think I know most of the story, but I would like it if someone "in the know" could tell/repeat the story of GV & GU. How close was he to being a Zag, when did GU stop going after GV &/or when did GV stopped looking @ GU, etc...

TIA

TokyoZag
03-04-2010, 04:25 PM
Short version:

Tommy found him and got him placed in a high school in Maryland. We (& Maryland) were actively recruiting him until we landed Bouldin. After that, he became a Terp. I don't remember any other big schools that had him on the radar. Boardmembers at the time loved his name. I think the Star Wars movie had just come out.

Given comments made by Vasquez at the old spice tourney in 08, he and Tommy are still friendly, despite it not working out.

I like to think that GV would be a zag if Matty B went somewhere else.

lothar98zag
03-04-2010, 04:33 PM
I like to think he'd be a Zag too, I'm just wondering how close it was to actually happening if MB had gone elsewhere.

Any thoughts on if GU kept recruiting him, even though he & MB are very similar?

Can anyone find commitment dates to verify MB gave a verbal to GU b4 GV did the same to UMD?

RockandRollJames
03-04-2010, 05:49 PM
Well this is just an awesome topic for me because Maryland and Gonzaga are my two favorite teams. I was a Terp fan my whole life until I came to Gonzaga. Don't worry, I'm a Zag and I promise I rooted for GU when they played last year.
Before the start of the season, a friend and I had an argument about who was better, Greivis or Matt, and I feel like this is as good of a thread as I'm going to find to bring this up. I had heard some stories about Greivis potentially coming here, but had no idea we could have had one or the other. Anyways, I took the side of Greivis then and I'm sorry, but I still have to go with Greivis. He has the ability to completely take over games, as evidenced by the game yesterday. He also did it last year against eventual champions UNC. Greivis also has less to work with right now than Bouldin does. But, it should be that way. Their offense is just him dribbling around looking to create. It is all him. Every game Maryland is as good as Greivis plays. I think it was Jay Bilas who said at the beginning of the year that no team relies on one player as much as MD relies on Vasquez. If he plays well they usually win. If he has an off day, they are almost assured a loss. This is one big argument I can see for Bouldin. First off, he is very consistent. Also, if he has an off day, we are not necessarily doomed. Another knock on Greivis is that he does so many stupid things. He has a tendency to hoist up awful shots or make dumb turnovers, something you almost never see Bouldin do. Overall, purely looking at who is a better player, I have to go with Vasquez. But it is pretty close and can see why some would prefer Bouldin.
As for having both Bouldin and Greivis, I would be all for it. Part of the reason Maryland relies so much on Greivis is because they don't really have much else. We are a much deeper team than Maryland is and would provide much better pieces around Vasquez. It would be incredible to see Greivis surrounded by the guys we have now. For as great as Matt is, can you imagine him as our second option? It would be unreal how good we would be. Greivis also has a fire and a will to win. Not that our guys don't, because I know they do, he is so expressive of it that I think it is very contagious (this is partly why I am such a big Arop fan). He also has some intangible about him where he can make those rediculous shots like he did last night.
As a dual fan, I am happy the way it worked out. Haha and as you can see, I jumped on any chance to talk Maryand basketball.

AzZag
03-04-2010, 06:29 PM
Sorry...I like Bouldin, not the turtle. Period. 100+ total career wins and WCC player of the year.

Would it be ok to just sum this one up as, coulda shoulda, but I am sure glad as $%it that we got Matt? And then, close the door...

BobZag
03-04-2010, 06:39 PM
There's an article on this on this board. Search is your friend. :)

ZagMan in Philly
03-04-2010, 06:59 PM
Vasquez made some ridiculous shots at the end of the Duke's game. I was rooting for the Terps yesterday mostly because they were the underdogs. How cool would it be if Bouldin will play against Vasquez in the tourney??

MDABE80
03-04-2010, 07:20 PM
Matt was better for this program. Even tempered, skilled, coachable and willing to listen. Matt fit so well....and continues to.
I'm glad Gary got Vasquez. See the best thing happened...as usual..

TerpZag
03-04-2010, 07:24 PM
...Can anyone find commitment dates to verify MB gave a verbal to GU b4 GV did the same to UMD?

Lothar, according to a particular recruiting web site, Matt Bouldin gave his commitment to Gonzaga on September 14, 2005. Greivis Vasquez commited to Maryland on November 9, 2005.

With their "Us vs. Them" mind set, Gary Williams and Greivis Vasquez were a match made in heaven.

Would this have been allowed at the MAC on Senior Night?
http://imgur.com/qQrrf.gif

CDC84
03-04-2010, 09:50 PM
Bouldin is a better fit for the Gonzaga system. I don't think that's a negative take on Vasquez.

U Zig, I Zag
03-05-2010, 07:03 AM
I would probably feel different if he was here, and I like aspects of his game - but I couldn't take 4 years of GV's shimmying (sp?) down the court after hitting a shot. Also, the stupid turnovers would have increased my ulcers 10-times over.

Wish Maryland luck and I think GV will play at the next level someplace.

* When Maryland loses in the tourney this year it will be because of GV. Same thing if they win.

Xin Loi 67
03-05-2010, 08:01 AM
It seems like every time a comparison is made involving Matt, Matt always played his game with more talent surrounding him. Yes, a bunch of talent with no D1 experience. Like Samhan, Greivis is the offensive target on the majority of plays. A score first leader would have been disastrous to our young team this year. Why is it that we continue to debate facts? Matt Bouldin is recognized nationwide as one of if not the best all round perimeter player in the NCAA. I don't think it's debatable as to whether or not we would be where we are if not for Matt's play and leadership this year.

Matt had been offered from numerous schools and obligingly made several trips. Since he felt his place was at Gonzaga he decided visiting more schools was not fair he canceled his visit to South Bend which was next and signed with GU. Tommy and the staff waited for word from Leon who was the lead, Matt signed and Greivis went to Maryland. The rest is what it is.

I wonder how good Cal. would have been this year if Matt had gone with them.

Sure I'm biased but I'm also impressed with the taste of this lemonade we have and the sweetness Matt has provided through his leadership and play.

lothar98zag
03-05-2010, 12:23 PM
Lothar, according to a particular recruiting web site, Matt Bouldin gave his commitment to Gonzaga on September 14, 2005. Greivis Vasquez commited to Maryland on November 9, 2005.

Thanks!

Would this have been allowed at the MAC on Senior Night?
http://imgur.com/qQrrf.gif
If GU was playing Dook on senior night. Yes! :D

Once and Future Zag
03-05-2010, 01:00 PM
I'd assume that both Bouldin and Vasquez would have developed differently under different coaches - not to mention the mentoring that GU has from our resident HOF'er.

Lots of maybes, but I wouldn't trade Matt for anyone "right now" - but if we had ended up with Greivis, I'm sure we'd be saying the same thing.

I've never heard a bad word said about Greivis as a person (not that I've looked for one though) so I'm sure he would have been a great Zag - like pretty much any of our other "not quite" players - think Jordan Farmar or Ian Mahinimi.