• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gamagin
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Richard Fox clears up a few things

Richard Fox was interviewed on a Spokane radio show today and had some interesting things to say. I was in my car, so am working from memory. I don't know the name of the show but it was on 1510 am in Spokane. I think the lead announcer is a fellow named Toby. I chose the topics I remembered and paraphrased liberally & (I believe) accurately. Fox, imo, is really, really good at what he does. Insightful and very smart, too.

• re Zags running up big leads and then losing that lead, or the game, as happened this year. He was asked what was the main cause. Fox said it was mostly player immaturity. "Look at it in terms of runs. Every team has its run - a period in which they try and make a comeback or do make a comeback. The mature teams run up the lead and then don't give up enough to let the team catch back up. Immature teams, like ours, make too many mistakes and allow teams back in. We'll have this conversation in a couple of years and be saying our guys are mature and didn't let that happen. At least that's what I expect. He said an example of team immaturity was players attempting to check into the game, even the last one vs CS Bakersfield, in which some players did not know how to check into the game or even whom to approach. the announcer laughed at that and noted he, when he was announcing earlier in the season, was also approached a couple of times by Zags trying to check in with him.

To this Fox went into a long discussion about what it's like for these 18 year olds to make all the adjustments they are making in their lives, add in basketball and all its pressures and then summed it up by asking rhetorically: "Has anyone ever tried to get an 18 or 19 year old to pay attention to anything ? Well, that's what's happening with this young, immature, team, too. It's not a matter of whether or not they are told what to do, it's a matter of how long it will take them to mature and begin to listen and then listen, understand and act."

• re seeding, playing in Spokane versus matchups. Fox said it's all about the matchups. He didn't name any preferable teams or give examples but did say he'd rather see a more favorable matchup than see us play in Spokane. "Matchups are everything. Every team has strengths and weaknesses. If we get the kind of matchup that is good for us, our odds are much better, regardless of the seeding. It's always been that way."
    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton
  • BobZag
    Dark Lord of the Zag
    • Jan 2007

Can't argue with any of Richard's points. All true.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• alaskazagnut

Hmmm....

i think Richard Fox would make a great replacement/ addition to our TV crew of Heister and Ehlo. Maybe next year we will see Heister /Fox!!!

Pretty good advertising for any game televised on Fox TV too!!

But to be more blunt and honest, it looks like if me and Richard Fox had a conversation about a couple of my posts and threads we would agree with one another.

Fox is an expert though, I am just an anonymous fan. But I like it when experts support my opinion.

I vote for Heister / Fox next year. Sorry Ehlo but you have worn out your welcome and your attempts at comedy. Time for a change.

Comment

• J-Lo
        Kennel Club Material
        • Feb 2007

Don't get me wrong, I love Fox. But if he becomes Heister's broadcasting partner, then we'd lose the always entertaining ####ehlosays tweets throughout our home games.

And where would the world be without: everyone's favorite Ehlo twitter feed?
        Last edited by J-Lo; 03-04-2010, 02:26 PM. Reason: SERIOUSLY? It even censors the word s-h-i-t if it's included as a part of a URL.

Comment

• alaskazagnut

What if...

Fox were just added in. He would make a great buffer for their bickering. Plus he would give priceless personal experience as a former Zag during broadcasts. He could actually give use some idea of what Few is thinking and what he is doing and why. There are several other successful ESPN broadcasts that use 3 people to cover games.

Comment

• lothar98zag
            PostPadder General
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by J-Lo View Post
            Don't get me wrong, I love Fox. But if he becomes Heister's broadcasting partner, then we'd lose the always entertaining ####ehlosays tweets throughout our home games.

And where would the world be without: everyone's favorite Ehlo twitter feed?
            While I won't say that Ehlo has a face made for radio, because that would be mean, I will say he has a voice made for silent films.
            youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

Comment

• cjm720
              Zag for Life
              • Nov 2007

good post thanks.

Ehlo is the star of the broadcast duo!
              Go Zags!!!

Comment

• Rangerzag
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

My impression is Fox has a day job. I haven't listened to him this year but IIRC in previous years he did not always travel to all the away games. Would he be able to get to enough games to keep fox sports happy???
                "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
                "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
                I am monitoring the price of a donut

Comment

• FuManShoes
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

The interview

Here's the radio roundtable with Big Sexy, Meehan and Max from slipperstillfits.com. A very good half hour of Zags talk.

“We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Comment

• Dogtownkid
                    Kennel Club Material
                    • Mar 2007

That was great!

Comment

• zag buddy
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2007

Heister is the one who constantly strays away from the game. He is very limited in his basketball knowledge. He tends to dominate the way the conversation will go and does not listen very well. Other than that he seems about adequate.

Comment

• gamagin
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Thanks, Fu

Originally posted by FuManShoes View Post
                        Here's the radio roundtable with Big Sexy, Meehan and Max from slipperstillfits.com. A very good half hour of Zags talk.
                        http://download17.mediafire.com/pnb3...Roundtable.wav
                        I think all of you who do not get a chance to listen to Fox regularly need to know what some of us mean when we praise his savvy, analytical mind and the pictures he paints in and around the Zag program.

This versus other announcers who do little to enhance the experience. When I criticize others, it is usually by comparing them to the effort, the excellence, put out by Fox and in many cases, Tom Hudson, on their play-by-play game program.

So if you haven't taken the time yet, do listen to this fine program, the exchanges and the information disseminated, the inside chat and the general knowledge of all three guests and realize there is alot more interesting stuff going on in and around the program that make it all that much more exciting, thanks to Fox and others.
                        Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
                        Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
                        Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• bballbeachbum
                          Zag for Life
                          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by FuManShoes View Post

http://download17.mediafire.com/pnb3...Roundtable.wav
                          that was awesome, thank you Fu. when's the next one?

Comment

• americasteam
                            Kennel Club
                            • Jan 2010

I believe they will get together again after the conclusion of the WCC tourney. So maybe Tuesday? The show is on from 12:00 to 2:00 pm and I think the slot was 12:30 to 1:00pm this last time.

I was most interested in Richard's comments as well. I know he wasn't a main player for Gonzaga but I bet he has remained close with the program and coaches and so we're more likely to get inside info from him than the others.

Comment

• MDABE80
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Hard to imagine a player NOT knowing how to check into a game....

BUT....I suspect we, on this board wonder why the kids don't approach games like we would. For my part, I never suited up if I didn't intend to do anything needed to win. This continued long after...it's called "competition" I guess. I always think our players shouldhave the same fire....maybe moreso being in a D1 program like we have at GU. Maybe Richard knows different. Getting an 18 yr old to focus though....well it's a matter of maturity. SOme have it and some don't.

Letting a game we've won...letting a game like that unravel is seen ofter with this program and it's been like this for years!! I think this year's edition has been better than the past. I DO know that the 99-00 group went for the throat every game. I cannot remember those kids letting the other team back in. We need that toughness as we approach the post season.

Comment

Working...
                              X