PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Palm Projects the Field

ZagNative
03-04-2010, 11:00 AM
As if the tournament were to start today, from CBSSports.com (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/13008503/projecting-the-field?tag=coverlist_active;coverlist_footer).

CDC84
03-04-2010, 11:07 AM
I would take that bracket in a heartbeat. Even without the first two being in Spokane.

75Zag
03-04-2010, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the link ZN. We will know for sure in 10 days, but it is still fun to read these articles.

San Jose seems likely to me for GU. Just a hunch and God knows I have lost tens of thousands of dollars betting on my hunches before, but I can't see the committee rewarding GU with a gold ring (home game) in light of their problems with SF and LMU. Happy to be wrong, but whatever.

New Mexico still scares me in the Round of 32. We will see.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

bigblahla
03-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Zags win out and the Zags are in Spokane as a 4. There are not 16 better teams in the country than GU.

Go!! Zags!!!

whatazag
03-04-2010, 11:44 AM
Could not ask for a better draw than that.

Zagpower
03-04-2010, 11:55 AM
How does UTEP get an 11th seed?
I'll pass on them in the first round.

UTEP
Overall 23-5.
They won a good Conference USA with a 14-1 record, haven't lost since January 13, and have road wins at Memphis, Oklahoma, Tulsa, and UAB and their seed is similar to SMC which most consider a bubble team? UTEP's losses are similar to ours as far as good vs bad losses.

I guess I am in the minority but I see that as a terrible first round matchup.

webspinnre
03-04-2010, 12:01 PM
While I don't like being a 6, UTEP, New Mexico, K-State is a pretty nice road to the Elite 8. As nice as it can get being a 6, anyway.

23dpg
03-04-2010, 12:04 PM
I dislike any draw that puts so many of the non-BCS schools together. It seems like that is something that the committee likes to do though.

Zagpower
03-04-2010, 12:10 PM
He also has Texas as a 4.

Compare Texas to UTEP. I listed UTEP's impressive road wins. Texas' most impressive road win all year was OK. State. Their last six road games were losses at A&M by 16, beat Tech by 4, lost at Missouri by 5, lost at Oklahoma by 9 (UTEP won there), Beat OK ST, and lost at UConn by 14 and lost at K State by 9.

They have also had a couple serious injuries and seem to be fading. I think Palm must have filled out this bracket a few weeks ago.

75Zag
03-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Zagpower, I agree with you but if you read the article that accompanies the bracket, Palm is making the point that under the new NCAA rules, the last weeks of the season results are not weighted, so that early season success helps, and late season collapses (like Texas) don't necessarily hurt as much as under the old system.

I think Palm is too kind to Texas and too harsh on UConn but as I said in my post, something fun to read as we wait for the WCC tournament and then selection Sunday.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

Zagpower
03-04-2010, 12:21 PM
Whaaaat. You expect me to actually read something before criticizing it?

Guilty as charged.:o

ZagNative
03-04-2010, 12:25 PM
Lunardi (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology) has Texas as a 7 today. Gonzaga still a 5 in Spokane.

sircreate
03-04-2010, 12:28 PM
UTEP also only has 1 top 50 win which is UAB at 41, there only other top 50 game was a loss against BYU.

Id definately want that section of the bracket even if it ment not being in Spokane as it gives a good chance of a deep run.

Zagpower
03-04-2010, 12:29 PM
That looks much better all the way around. :)

Zagpower
03-04-2010, 12:33 PM
UTEP also only has 1 top 50 win which is UAB at 41, there only other top 50 game was a loss against BYU.

Id definately want that section of the bracket even if it ment not being in Spokane as it gives a good chance of a deep run.

Yep, not much experience. As you say won one and lost a close game by 6 at BYU and peaking at the right time.

Lunardi agrees with the rest of you and has them as a 10. I guess I need to start my own little bandwagon.

LynetteG
03-04-2010, 12:48 PM
If we can't be the 3 I want to be the 6. No use facing the 1 seed until as late as possible.

titopoet
03-04-2010, 02:30 PM
How does UTEP get an 11th seed?
I'll pass on them in the first round.

UTEP
Overall 23-5.
They won a good Conference USA with a 14-1 record, haven't lost since January 13, and have road wins at Memphis, Oklahoma, Tulsa, and UAB and their seed is similar to SMC which most consider a bubble team? UTEP's losses are similar to ours as far as good vs bad losses.

I guess I am in the minority but I see that as a terrible first round matchup.

I would hate this matchup. Thank God his bracket is a snowball in you know where. He is so Big East bias it is sick. He still has Villanova as a 1 seed. Georgetown as a 4. Pitt is a 3. I am surprised he doesn't have Depaul in the draw.

JohnOGU
03-04-2010, 08:06 PM
Zagpower, I agree with you but if you read the article that accompanies the bracket, Palm is making the point that under the new NCAA rules, the last weeks of the season results are not weighted, so that early season success helps, and late season collapses (like Texas) don't necessarily hurt as much as under the old system.

I think Palm is too kind to Texas and too harsh on UConn but as I said in my post, something fun to read as we wait for the WCC tournament and then selection Sunday.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

So in this sense, our LMU and USF losses should not be weighted that heavily? Because Texas has been losing pretty consistently.