PDA

View Full Version : Very Sad News: RIP Bud Hazel

Angelo Roncalli
03-04-2010, 07:08 AM
Sorry to report the passing of professor Bud Hazel. Condolences to his family and friends.

LongIslandZagFan
03-04-2010, 07:24 AM
Sorry to report the passing of professor Bud Hazel. Condolences to his family and friends.

Wow... took a couple of classes of his. Very sad. My thoughts and prayers to his family.

J-Lo
03-04-2010, 07:26 AM
Very sad news. I think most students at GU when I was in undergrad probably had a class with Prof. Hazel at one time or another.

cjm720
03-04-2010, 07:32 AM
RIP Professor Hazel. I had a communications class with him and he was a huge value add to the University. Sad.

gamagin
03-04-2010, 07:33 AM
His children (one now a teacher at GU himself) and mine went to grade school together and remain friends. His wife was cantor at Our Lady of Lourdes for at least a couple of decades.

One of my son's had him as a counselor and teacher. Just a wonderful human being on all counts.

I'm sure others will chime in, but I'm not sure anyone else will bring this up. I heard it from a friend of his. Bud was a champion ping pong player. Like a state or U.S. champion of some note, I was told.

So just like everyone likes to remember "something" about a friend who has passed, I like to picture him in heaven, kicking the crap out of Cataldo, or Ignatius or maybe even Aloysius or der Bingle. You never know.

RIP Bud.

zag944
03-04-2010, 08:06 AM
He was my professor in a speech comp class freshmen year. Very sad, he was an incredible teacher.

ZagAddict
03-04-2010, 08:15 AM
It was very sad news when my wife told me last night. Like many people he was one of my first GU professors... freshman year speech comp. He was one of my favorite instructors at GU and a great person to know. He always had time to talk and listen to how things were going. I will miss him and my prayers and thoughts are with his family.

God Bless

zagzilla
03-04-2010, 08:19 AM
As a speech communications major I took several classes from Dr. Hazel. I remember setting off a firecracker in his class during a speech I was doing. He took it really well :)

ZZ

Gonzdb8
03-04-2010, 08:30 AM
It was very sad news when my wife told me last night. Like many people he was one of my first GU professors... freshman year speech comp. He was one of my favorite instructors at GU and a great person to know. He always had time to talk and listen to how things were going. I will miss him and my prayers and thoughts are with his family.

God Bless

Bud was a dear friend and valued colleague over the past 12 years. He will be dearly missed by faculty and students of the Comm Department. While he was an accomplished classroom teacher and scholar in his field his influence stretched far beyond that. He provided priceless mentoring to younger faculty and taught many generations of GU Comm faculty "how to teach", and what the mission meant in context of our discipline. Truly an inspiration to us all. We'll miss you Bud.

Salsageek
03-04-2010, 08:35 AM
RIP Dr. Hazel. I had him for Speech 101 my freshmen year too.

Zag 77
03-04-2010, 10:41 AM
I seem to recall that he was a game announcer at Kennedy Pavilion in the "olden" days.

He was a very classy guy and a first-rate educator. Has a wonderful family and he gets a lot of credit for that.

Zagquette
03-04-2010, 11:49 AM
Hands down one of my favorite teachers I have ever had.

Interestingly enough, i was just thinking of him yesterday.

I happy to hear that his son is carrying on his legacy at GU.

Peace

BoZarth
03-04-2010, 12:15 PM
Great teacher. He will be missed.

BoZarth

Ezag
03-04-2010, 12:22 PM
Oh man that is sad. I have worked with Bud off and on for past 12 years. Showed him how to use PowerPoint, Outlook and then do it again when he went to a Mac a few years back. Team taught a media/speech/web class with him about 5 years ago. Bud is one of the nicest and most sincere guy I have ever met. I will miss him.

zagfan24
03-04-2010, 03:17 PM
I happy to hear that his son is carrying on his legacy at GU.

I didn't work much with Bud directly but did work a lot with his son (also a prof in the Communications department), who was a wonderful mentor to me and also spoke so highly of his dad's work. I got a feeling that the whole Comm department (and likely A&S college) looked up to Bud, and it was clear he got a tremendous amount of respect from colleagues and students alike. RIP.

alaskazagnut
03-04-2010, 03:27 PM
and a true Zag through and through. He was one of the nicest professors and people. He honestly cared about each student and worked with students and faculty to achieve academic superiority.

He will be greatly missed, yet his influence and spirit will continue for generations in the future.

Just_An_Old_Zag
03-04-2010, 03:34 PM
I remember Dr Hazel always trying to get me to switch majors and become a communications major :)

He gave a guest lecture at our 30 year reunion and he was informative and entertaining then as he was in the mid 70's

I have a tear in my eye as I write this. Tonight when I get Home I will raise a glass and give a toast to him

And I hope his family reads all these and knows how well he was loved in the
Zag Community...now I have to email my old roommate and let him know also

Zagguy
03-04-2010, 04:50 PM
I had the privilege to have him as a professor both in undergrad and in grad, as a mentor and as a very dear friend. One of my favorite 'Bud-isms' - "if you're a new teacher or a new manager, never let them see you smile before Christmas." His belief was that employees/students needed to respect you first, like you second. I respected that man - and will love him always.

joelhazel
03-05-2010, 08:02 AM
Thanks to all who have posted about my Dad Bud Hazel.

Your comments mean a lot to my family and I.

Dad's service will be next Wed., March 10 at 10 a.m. at St. Als.

Dad truly loved teaching at Gonzaga.

joelhazel
03-05-2010, 08:12 AM
I have no knowlege if Dad was a ping pong champion but he was a GU Basketball announcer in the Mid 1970's when the gym was half full.

PeninsulaDog
03-05-2010, 10:25 AM
During the summer after my sophomore year, I had a change of heart about entering the GU in Florence program -- I had applied, and had initially intended to go, but subsequently had concerns about accumulating enough credits toward my major in order to graduate in four years. After a great deal of consideration, I notified the University of my intention to stay in Spokane for my junior year. I had never met Dr. Hazel, but soon after my communication to Gonzaga, I received a telephone call from him. He persuaded me to stay the course with the Florence program and went way above and beyond the call of duty to make sure I did in fact accumulate those credits I needed: He took it upon himself to work with GU professors to arrange for self-guided study courses during my year in Florence, he located a summer course for me at USF, and he assisted me in transferring those credits to GU. Thanks in large part to his efforts I was able to enjoy the full Gonzaga experience, in Spokane and abroad, while managing to graduate in four years. Iíll always be grateful to him for that. It is difficult to imagine a more thoughtful and conscientious university administrator. Dr. Hazel represented everything that is great about Gonzaga, and his passing is a great loss to the community.

lothar98zag
03-05-2010, 12:34 PM
Thoughts & Prayers

:pray:

RIP

matty1090
06-04-2010, 11:25 AM
Just read this in the Gonzaga quarterly. He was a great professor, I had him the summer into my freshman year, and every time I ran into him in the AD building until the time I graduated he would greet me with my name. Thats not an easy thing to do considering all the students that go through his speech communications class. I remember him taking us for a trip to the court house for my upper level speech class, and also taking our class out for a barbeque at someone's lake house in Idaho. Very memorable guy.

DenDiegoZag
06-04-2010, 11:44 AM
Condolences to the family. He will be missed by the whole GU family.