View Full Version : WA and OR State Tourney Brackets

BobZag
03-02-2010, 10:46 AM
A handy dandy guide for you high school hoopaholics and Zag recruit fans--

Oregon: http://www.osaa.org/basketball/2010/3abbx.aspx

Washington: http://www.mywiaa.org/brackets/redir.aspx?ID=2915

madness
03-02-2010, 11:11 AM
Eesh, not a good draw for GPrep, possibly hitting Federal Way in the 2nd Round.

Here's to a Mead-Prep championship game!

Zag 77
03-02-2010, 11:19 AM
G-Prep did get a rough draw for WA 4A. They won the East regional, defeating Mead, and yet you can subjectively say that Mead got an easy draw while G-Prep got a bunch of ranked teams on their side of the bracket. In WA they don't give any special consideration to the teams that win regional tournaments, but just try to make sure a team does not have to play a fellow regional qualifier in the first round.

Just wondering if that sort of random draw is common in other state basketball tournaments around the country.

Prep just needs to take care of business. They have the weapons and have their best shot in decades. They are led by 6'7" UP recruit Ryan Nicholas, a rebounding beast and scoring machine.

Zag 77
03-02-2010, 11:42 AM
http://blog.thenewstribune.com/preps/2010/03/02/4a-boys-hoops-team-by-team-tournament-breakdown/#more-4113

Ebay
03-02-2010, 06:00 PM
will the games be streamed live on any site? if so, which one? I would love to watch some of the games.

Thanks!

rawkmandale
03-02-2010, 08:26 PM
Audio for EVERY game (boys and girls) in all classifications (I think - for certain the 2B) at:

http://www.bsports.org

http://www.winnw.com

bsports.org is also webcasting (video) the championship games (I think in all classifications - certainly the 2B)

You might have to link in from the WIAA site for the 4A and 1A games this week, and the 3A and 2A next week.

One of the more interesting tournaments is the 1A Boys, with Joe Harris leading Chelan at 23-1. There are a number of strong teams in the tournament, as acknowledged by this article in the Yakima Herald-Republic:

http://tourneytown.com/hoops/2010/Class1A/030210BoysField.shtml

Here is part of that article:

Bowers thinks the field is the deepest since the mid-1990s.

"I think it's a stacked tournament," said Bowers, whose Loggers are 24-0. "You've got two teams coming in undefeated, and they might not even be on anybody's radar. How many (1A) tournaments have we had where we have a player going to the ACC and we've got a Pac-10 player?"

And they're both playing in that 9 p.m. game (Wednesday) -- Chelan's 6-6 Joe Harris, who will play next year at Virginia and Vashon Island's 6-9 John Gage, bound for Stanford.

Harris is just 56 points shy of breaking the 1A career scoring mark of 2,382, shoots 62 percent from the field and has 2009-10 averages of 26.8 points, 7.5 rebounds, 5.1 assists and 4.1 steals. Gage (19.9) and 6-7 guard Alex Wegner (14.1) give Vashon the tourney's best 1-2 punch.

"The Vashon-Chelan game, everybody's already talking about that, including us," said Bazaldua. "We all want to see it, too."

Gonezagaga
03-02-2010, 09:41 PM
Link to webcast for boys and girls.

http://www.cybersportsusa.com/gameschedules.asp?sd=3&sport_id=1

rawkmandale
03-02-2010, 10:15 PM
Uhhhmmm, I could be wrong, but I believe the Cybersports webcast is just a scoreboard that shows the score change in (nearly) real time, plus some player stats. The WIAA has contracted with bsports.org and winnw.com to BROADCAST (radio) all the games, plus (I think) VIDEOCAST the championship games. Of course, the 3A and 4A will already be on FSN, but the 2B, 1A, and 2A will not.

I think you can start here to link in to actual radio coverage of ALL the games:

http://www.wiaa.com/subcontent.aspx?SecID=305

Just click the classification you are interested in, and then the "listen live" link.

KOzag08
03-03-2010, 07:28 AM
Weird not to see the usual Seattle teams in it anymore, like Franklin. Lake Washington, Skyline, and Eastlake aren't the usual contenders, and they're not really from Seattle.

Angelo Roncalli
03-03-2010, 07:36 AM
Seattle Times live blog from men's and women's AAAA:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/flatpages/sports/highschool/statehoops10/statehoops10.html

BobZag
03-03-2010, 08:55 AM
Prep is demolishing Auburn. 44-21.

LynetteG
03-03-2010, 09:02 AM
and don't forget the state B championships are happening right here in town at Spokane Arena! Heading that way in a little while to get my hoop fix on!

Angelo Roncalli
03-03-2010, 09:19 AM
G-Prep defeats Auburn 65 - 33. Federal Way plays the next game. If Federal Way wins (as expected), the quarterfinal game with G-Prep will be tomorrow at 3:30.

Final stats -- G-Prep: Chris Sarbaugh 19 points, eight rebounds; Ryan Nicholas 10 points, five rebounds; David Nelson 12 points, eight rebounds.

Auburn: Kevin Henderson 12 points, nine rebounds; Iszia Johnson seven points, five rebounds.

Zag 77
03-03-2010, 09:50 AM
Nicholas was held to a low because of foul trouble, but Prep's other big guys, Nelson and Hopkins, really stepped up.

Sarbaugh is a great leaper who is worth keeping an eye on.

Angelo Roncalli
03-03-2010, 10:03 AM
Weird not to see the usual Seattle teams in it anymore, like Franklin. Lake Washington, Skyline, and Eastlake aren't the usual contenders, and they're not really from Seattle.

Franklin is a 3A school, they play Sealth for a bid to next weekend's 3A tournament.

cbbfanatic
03-03-2010, 10:33 AM
Was Prep ranked this year? Is this a peak year for them of a buildup to next year type campaign? Do they have legitimate title hopes, or just trying to win some games, get some experience, etc?

I dont really follow them much, obviously, but I'd love to see the alma mater make some noise in States.

Angelo Roncalli
03-03-2010, 10:38 AM
Was Prep ranked this year? Is this a peak year for them of a buildup to next year type campaign? Do they have legitimate title hopes, or just trying to win some games, get some experience, etc?

I dont really follow them much, obviously, but I'd love to see the alma mater make some noise in States.

G-Prep was highly ranked all year. They are a legit title contender. Ryan Nicholas will be playing at Portland next year. The big game of the tournament will be against Federal Way (who is leading big in the 3rd quarter against Stanwood) tomorrow in the semi-final. Federal Way features Cole Dickerson, brother of Michael Dickerson, who will be attending USF next year. That these two teams are in the same bracket is a "travesty," but the situation is likely the result of Federal Way losing last weekend in the district championship game and being seeded down a bit.

ZagNative
03-03-2010, 10:41 AM
This looks like the last poll, from the Seattle-Times:

Class 4A
1. Federal Way 22-1
2. Richland 20-3
3. Gonzaga Prep (Spokane) 20-2
4. Kamiakin (Kennewick) 18-5
5. Walla Walla 20-4
6. Jackson (Mill Creek) 18-4
7. Kentwood (Covington) 14-10
8. Skyline (Sammamish) 19-3
9. Lake Washington (Kirkland) 16-6
10. Decatur (Federal Way) 16-8

primal23
03-03-2010, 10:50 AM

It was weird watching games on SWX in the gym at Prep and thinking about playing on that gym, going to dances, etc. At the same time, made me feel old too.:lmao:

BobZag
03-03-2010, 10:52 AM
This looks like the last poll, from the Seattle-Times:

Class 4A
1. Federal Way 22-1
2. Richland 20-3
3. Gonzaga Prep (Spokane) 20-2
4. Kamiakin (Kennewick) 18-5
5. Walla Walla 20-4
6. Jackson (Mill Creek) 18-4
7. Kentwood (Covington) 14-10
8. Skyline (Sammamish) 19-3
9. Lake Washington (Kirkland) 16-6
10. Decatur (Federal Way) 16-8

What a turnaround by Lake Washington. I believe they won all of one game last year. Walla Walla is a sleeper, they have the Winston kid bound for Idaho and I've heard he's pretty good.

KOzag08
03-03-2010, 11:17 AM
Franklin is a 3A school, they play Sealth for a bid to next weekend's 3A tournament.

I know, but since the mid 90s they were 4A and a perennial power in the state tourney. Just like Garfield with Conroy, Broy, etc.

cbbfanatic
03-03-2010, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the info.

Good to see that they're doing so well, I have heard good things about Nicholas but did not know how solid the TEAM was. Good for Haugen, always liked him

madness
03-03-2010, 11:25 AM
Matty McIntyre (sic) is the coach now...I graduated in '96 and he's younger than me...pretty amazing.

Zag 77
03-03-2010, 11:28 AM
Mike Haugen retired from coaching (but still teaches) at G-Prep. The new coach is Matty McIntyre, who was an assistant last year. He is only in his 20's. G-prep grad. He inherited a lot of talent and did not screw it up. Prep was 2nd in 4A most of the year with only 2 losses to Mead. Mead beat them once in league and once in District. Prep beat them once in league and once in Regionals. Prep also had wins at Christmas time over Seattle Prep and Bellarmine Prep. Jesuit Portland was alos invited to play, but they ducked it on some excuse about playing in some big-time fancy-shmancy tournament.

Jesuit also has a reputation for ducking G-Prep in football despite hundreds of offers to play over the years.

cbbfanatic
03-03-2010, 11:42 AM
Mike Haugen retired from coaching (but still teaches) at G-Prep. The new coach is Matty McIntyre, who was an assistant last year. He is only in his 20's. G-prep grad. He inherited a lot of talent and did not screw it up. Prep was 2nd in 4A most of the year with only 2 losses to Mead. Mead beat them once in league and once in District. Prep beat them once in league and once in Regionals. Prep also had wins at Christmas time over Seattle Prep and Bellarmine Prep. Jesuit Portland was alos invited to play, but they ducked it on some excuse about playing in some big-time fancy-shmancy tournament.

Jesuit also has a reputation for ducking G-Prep in football despite hundreds of offers to play over the years.

Wow, had no idea Matty was coaching varsity now (must be way out of the loop). Well, I wish the same success on him, played football and basketball with the guy. Lots of positive energy, I could see his style playing really well at the HS level.

I love all the Prep info on here, had no idea how tied in some of you are to the HS.

ZagNative
03-03-2010, 12:24 PM
As expected, Federal Way wins by 20 and will meet Prep tomorrow. Ain't no justice.

Go Pups!

rawkmandale
03-03-2010, 01:51 PM
Beat the best - B the best.

ZagNative
03-03-2010, 01:59 PM
Kingma's Jackson team is trailing Skyview 32-30 at the start of the 4th. Looks like Brett's having a tough day shooting, especially with his threes.
http://www.cybersportsusa.com/webgames/webgame.aspx?xmlfile=SKYJKS03032010200pm.xml&uid=0&ssid=

ZagNative
03-03-2010, 02:17 PM
Wow. That looked to be a nip and tuck game, with Jackson going ahead 45-43 in the last seconds.

rawkmandale
03-03-2010, 04:02 PM
Walla Walla beats Lincoln 55-49, with Gary Winston scoring 18 and Michael Weisner 16.

zagirl2k
03-03-2010, 06:24 PM
Final stats -- G-Prep: Chris Sarbaugh 19 points, eight rebounds;

When I was doing my student teaching at GU, Chris Sarbaugh was one of my first graders. I saw his picture on the Spokesman site yesterday and felt really old.

maynard g krebs
03-03-2010, 08:31 PM
Kingma's Jackson team is trailing Skyview 32-30 at the start of the 4th. Looks like Brett's having a tough day shooting, especially with his threes.
http://www.cybersportsusa.com/webgames/webgame.aspx?xmlfile=SKYJKS03032010200pm.xml&uid=0&ssid=

Depth perception at the Tacoma Dome is terrible for shooters- huge empty spaces behind the baskets, nothing like hs gyms. Key or Hec Ed would be much better. Scores are often low at the T Dome.

I was planning to go and report, but a freak accident left me with a bunch of stitches on the sole of my foot. Maybe next week- hope Adams and Franklin make it.

ZagNative
03-04-2010, 07:44 AM
Jackson's game story from the Everett Herald (http://www.postregister.com/blogs/sports/?p=8318). I tracked the game on line for the final seconds, and it looks like it was as exciting as it played out on game tracker:

How sweet it is for Jackson

Clutch defense, heads up play in final minute lifts Timberwolves to 45-43 win over Skyline

By Mark Nelson
Herald Writer
TACOMA It's unlikely that Marshall Massengale will find his birthday cake as sweet as Jackson's opening round victory in the boys 4A state basketball tournament.

The Timberwolves' senior guard, who celebrated his 18th birthday Wednesday, alertly grabbed a loose ball with 21.2 seconds to play and passed it to teammate Brett Kingma for the game-winning basket in the Timberwolves' 45-43 victory over Skyline (Sammamish) at the Tacoma Dome.

Jackson, usually known for its offensive prowess, won this game with two clutch defensive plays in the final minute.

With 46 seconds remaining, Kingma jumped into a passing lane in the backcourt, stole the ball and raced to the basket for the score-tying layup. On Skyline's ensuing possession, Massengale collected a loose ball and found Kingma streaking down the court for a layup.

I try to make a real emphasis to get to loose balls and the ball just popped out and I went and grabbed it, Massengale said. I looked up and I saw Brett (Kingma) all by himself and I might've had a smile on my face, got it to him and he finished it. It's just a great feeling.

Skyline guard Connor Gacek, a Cal Poly Pomona recruit, missed a score-tying jump shot from about 18 feet at the buzzer.

Kingma said the game's final minute was a blur.

I don't really know what happened in that last minute, he said. I know we were down two and I know on that (score-tying) steal I thought I better not miss this layup or every one is going to hate me.' I jumped it, I don't really know what happened.

Kingma, Jackson's scoring leader averaging 24.8 points per game, finished with a game-high 18 points, but made just seven of 19 shots from the field and went 0-for-8 from 3-point range. He wasn't the only player for Jackson (21-4) who struggled offensively. The Timberwolves shot 39 percent for the game, including just 1-for-11 on 3-pointers.

With the shots not falling, defense rescued Jackson from a first-round loss.

kjstoph1
03-04-2010, 08:15 AM
Nicholas was held to a low because of foul trouble, but Prep's other big guys, Nelson and Hopkins, really stepped up.

Sarbaugh is a great leaper who is worth keeping an eye on.

Sarbaugh will play at the D-1 level. Very efficient player.

ZagNative
03-04-2010, 09:50 AM
Jordan Tebbutt's 3A Horizon Christian plays tonight at 8:15. Oregon Brackets (http://www.osaa.org/basketball/2010/3abbx.aspx).

The Willammette Valley Statesman Journal (http://www.statesmanjournal.com/article/20100303/PREPSSPORTS/3030435/Horizon-Christian-s-Jordan-Tebbutt-is-one-to-watch-in-Class-3A-state-basketball-tournament-in-Salem) has a big story up about Jordan today. It includes some great photos and interesting background about Jordan.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Recruits/2012%20Recruits/Jordan%20Tebbutt/2010-03-04JordanTebbuttStateTourney.jpg

Interesting tidbits from the article for me:
Horizon Christian's Jordan Tebbutt is one to watch in Class 3A state basketball tournament in Salem
The sophomore is already is being recruited heavily by colleges

"He's so mature, physically and mentally, has great humility, which in our system as a Christian school, is essential," Brown said.

"He has the mental part of the game, the physical part of the game and in the offseason, he is a hard, hard worker. He does some things that I know nobody else does. Jordan is like that."

In other words, he's the complete package. And Salem-area basketball fans likely will get to see him for three days starting Thursday when second-ranked Horizon Christian opens against Cascade Christian at 8:15 p.m. in a rematch of the 2009 championship game.
Christian ties that bind

So how does Tebbutt along with Brown, who came out of retirement four years ago after coaching against the likes of Bill Walton in Southern California end up at a school that didn't even exist when current Minnesota Timberwolves player Kevin Love played just up the road in Lake Oswego?

"It's just a God thing," Brown said. "People may not like that. I'm sure everyone would think we recruited our way into this. I wouldn't agree. We firmly believe every student here, whether they're an athlete or not, has been influenced one way or another by the Christian aspect of our school."

Brown attributes the school's early athletic success to God, and says it bears out in Tebbutt's and the other players' and coaches' words and actions.

"I'm just going to go out there and work hard and play for God," Tebbutt said of his approach to the state tournament. "Just honor God and play our butts off."

The Christian framework was a draw for Brown, who is also the school's athletic director. When the school was formed, Brown said senior pastor Stan Russell wanted to place an emphasis on making it a school where high-level athletes who were also Christian minded,could attend.
Tebbutt has continued to live up the potential the basketball community has seen in him since the eighth grade. He is averaging more than 20 points, 10 rebounds and four assists per game, leading Horizon Christian to a 23-4 record.

The Hawks finished one game ahead of Dayton in the West Valley. Dayton is the state's top-ranked team. The Pirates and Horizon Christian split games in the regular season and are on opposite sides of the Class 3A bracket, making a third meeting in the state title game an enticing possibility.
His skill on the court is unquestioned.

"He can handle the ball with the right and left hands," Brown said. "He can pull up and hit threes. He's unselfish. And he's really tough."

Tebbutt's size-17 feet would seem to predict a future growth spurt. And this summer he'll be joining an AAU team based in Los Angeles that will play in top tournaments across the country.

rawkmandale
03-04-2010, 11:55 AM
He would look AWESOME in a Gonzaga uniform - this kid seems like a winner all the way around.

BobZag
03-04-2010, 02:18 PM
He would look AWESOME in a Gonzaga uniform - this kid seems like a winner all the way around.

+1

ZagNative
03-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Gonzaga Prep - Federal Way slated to start soon. Audio will be available here (http://winnw.com/wiaa-4a-boys). Pregame show is on now.

madness
03-04-2010, 04:29 PM
2:24 left, TIGHT game. Prep currently on top by 3! Cole Dickerson fouled out and it seems that lots of fouls are piling up. WCC refs? ;)

madness
03-04-2010, 04:33 PM
Prep up by 1! 55 seconds

madness
03-04-2010, 04:41 PM
Jeebus, Federal Way ties it at the buzzer with a 3...

Prep may have the edge with Dickerson fouled out, but that's gotta hurt...

OT!!!!!!!!!!!!

rawkmandale
03-04-2010, 04:53 PM
Score tied with 18 seconds left - Prep with one more FT

rawkmandale
03-04-2010, 04:54 PM
FT good, 59-58, Federal Way hits a basket with 4 seconds left to win. Crap.

madness
03-04-2010, 04:54 PM
WOW, heartbreaker.

madness
03-04-2010, 04:55 PM
Prep loses...60-59, great game guys.

rawkmandale
03-04-2010, 04:57 PM
The same guy hit the three for OT and the winner:

Players FG 3P FT RB AS ST TO PF PT

3 Isaiah Umipig 4/12 2/7 10/10 0 3 1 1 3 24

MDABE80
03-04-2010, 04:58 PM
1 pt miss is as good as a mile....even in OT......hope our Zags remember that. No prizes for 2nd place even if it's by 1 point. You just go home. Kids need to ravage the place from here on in...no letting up. Just go win big and don't look back.

madness
03-04-2010, 05:04 PM
Umipig hit the game winner, but Duckworth hit the 3 to tie it...Federal Way was clutch even after losing 3 starter to fouls.

Nicholas got bottled up in OT...sounded like the refs may have forced the issue.

72Prep
03-04-2010, 05:24 PM
Heartbreaking.

Prep had the old dilemma: Up by 3 with (10?) seconds left - do you put FW on the line for two shots or let it play out? Shoulda-coulda...:(

zagfan08
03-04-2010, 09:40 PM
Great day of action at the Tacoma Dome, I was there for the FW/GP game as well as Jackson and Decatur. Tough one for the Bullpups to lose, but I was impressed with how they battled. Started out rattled, probably a bit intimidated, but as things progressed they started to believe more and more. Took a buzzer beater to send it to overtime and a layup with about 8 seconds to go to beat them. Good battle against the top team.

Brett Kingma hit a circus 3 and was fouled with 1.8 seconds left. The ensuing free throw gave Jackson a 58-54 win over Decatur. He struggled during the game, 1-10 from 3 before that shot, but Jackson moves on to the semifinals to play Federal Way tomorrow night.

LynetteG
03-05-2010, 06:08 PM
I know GU Prep is done, but there are two Spokane area teams still in it representing!

Mead boys had one loss, and are playing for 5th place tomorrow morning

and the Mead girls

ARE ROCKING IT!!!!!!!!! They haven't lost yet!!! They play their final four game tonight at 830 and play for the State Championship tomorrow at 9pm!!!!

GO MEAD!!!!!!!!!!!

ZagNative
03-06-2010, 09:09 PM
Jordan Tebbutt's Horizon Christian team wins the Oregon 3A Championship game over Dayton, 53-44 (http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.com/game/score/612710/) tonight. No box score up yet.

Kyle Wiltjer's Jesuit Team beat Lake Oswego 48-16 (http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.com/tournament/4456/) to advance to the round of eight, next game scheduled for March 11 at the Rose Garden v. Newberg. Kyle had 19 points, more than the entire Lake Oswego team.

MJ777
03-07-2010, 12:30 AM
Jordan Tebbutt's Horizon Christian team wins the Oregon 3A Championship game over Dayton, 53-44 (http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.com/game/score/612710/) tonight. No box score up yet.

Kyle Wiltjer's Jesuit Team beat Lake Oswego 48-16 (http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.com/tournament/4456/) to advance to the round of eight, next game scheduled for March 11 at the Rose Garden v. Newberg. Kyle had 19 points, more than the entire Lake Oswego team.

Jesuit must have blocked the extra point.