PDA

View Full Version : McCarthey Center too small???

GU32
03-01-2010, 10:37 PM
KXLY's good question segment...

http://www.kxly.com/localvideo/index.html

Zagsker
03-01-2010, 10:45 PM
makes sense..

Ezag
03-01-2010, 11:56 PM
Good question and ok answer but even at that they should have left room for expandability just in case

Zag79
03-02-2010, 02:37 AM
grabbed 6 even though i only had the need for two just because i knew this would happen. my relatives are grateful. :D

ZagsObserver
03-02-2010, 11:06 AM
I agree. Presumably, the student body would increase in numbers too, so that what was once a reasonable number of seats for students, is no longer sufficient. It has now come to that point, and lines for tickets are once again very long. More seats for the general public would also do more to connect the community to the school. And finally, it would bring in more money for ticket sales, and potentially lure larger schools to K2 (split tickets sales, etc.).

gamagin
03-02-2010, 11:26 AM
the decision to cap it at 6k was measured with alot of attention and I think are spot on. What I'd try and do if I were king is create standing room only space at the east and west ends (especially the east) and allow for 1-200 or perhaps 300 first come, first served fans to take up the space. Also, if/when those suites are paid up (10 years I would guess, or 20) that space, too could be allotted for a limited number of overflow non-season ticket holding fans who want to get in and see a game now and again.

I forget what the actual numbers were when it came to considering costs for making the building larger -- but it was in the multiple million$ per foot/yd exponentially higher with negligible benefit in relation to cost because the seats would be further up in the nosebleed.

I believe the building is now owned free and clear and has become a cash cow for the University and all of its athletic programs.

zagsmyboys
03-02-2010, 11:32 AM
I can say I have allot of friends...and trying to get tickets to any game is next to imposible. It really sucks to watch some of the games where the stands are barely filled ...i am talking at big name schools....and I know here in Spokane we are a huge basketball town and we could easily fill a bigger venue. Kinda makes one a little upset!! One good thing is any seat is a good seat at McCarthey thats for sure!! I love the Zags and I will watch them always and forever anyway I can!!! :adored:

ID ZAGFAN
03-02-2010, 11:51 AM
I had a conversation with someone in the athletic department about this. Since the arena was paid for with huge commitments from season ticket holders for five years, my guess is that if were larger, those seats would also go to season ticket holders who made those commitments.

She also said that when it was built, the student body was smaller, so they didn't have to allot as many seats to students.

She also said that they did not want to be in the position of places like UW, who built a huge arena and can't fill it, especially when they are playing poorly. She made the statement that (paraphrasing) "It could happen that we have an off year, or heaven forbid, Few leaves, and we might not fill a larger arena." I thought it was kind of an odd statement for her to make, but honest.

ID ZAGFAN

TacomaZAG
03-02-2010, 12:19 PM
given the size of the school and the size of the Spokane Arena. If the Kennel was any smaller it wouldn't work for basketball (its primary function) and if it was much bigger it would be competing with the Arena for other events. I remember when they couldn't even fill the old kennel. Supply and demand dictate the appropriate size, and 6000 is perfect, given the situation. If you can't get to the kennel, wait until they play in the Arena or head down to Pullman every other year. Not ideal, but not impossible either.

Also, we are very spoiled with the TV package the Zags have, so at least we get to see them play.

My Dad is a retired professor (26 years at GU) and he can't get tickets either.

In some ways, this discussion is like the discussion they have every year at the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field in Green Bay. Small stadium, filled to overflowing every game, tickets impossible to get, forget about the season ticket turnover.

It's a good problem to have.............

I like the idea of the standing room only section, but I doubt if the fire marshall would allow it. Also, number of bathrooms may not allow any sizeable expansion.

Go ZAGS

hondo
03-02-2010, 01:33 PM
We must realize that the remarkable success we have witnessed was highly unlikely even boardering on unbelievable when the Mac was in its planninng stage. I for one never dreamed we could maintain this level as long as we have. A string of very fortunate but unprobable events along with very hard and clever work has created a shortage of seats. Had things unfolded as they were likely to we would now have a surplus of seats. Enjoy every second of what we now have and take none of it for granted, it will not last for ever.

alaskazagnut
03-02-2010, 01:36 PM
Too small. But perfect to keep demand high, and ticket prices even higher!!!

GrizZAG
03-02-2010, 01:46 PM
Someone help me understand why more of the big games are not played at the arena where tickets would sell out likely. I know it has something to do with Brett and the Cheifs or something like that. Whats the story? Thx

CDC84
03-02-2010, 02:08 PM
Someone help me understand why more of the big games are not played at the arena where tickets would sell out likely. I know it has something to do with Brett and the Cheifs or something like that. Whats the story? Thx

For one thing, when Gonzaga plays games in Spokane Arena, they don't get to take in all of the money.

GrizZAG
03-02-2010, 02:15 PM
What is capacity of the arena, 12,000? How about if the arena agreed to pay Gonzaga the amount it would have generated had a game been played at MAC, then they get what is over and above that? Win-Win?? Actually Win-Win-Win for those poor dudes that never get to see a game because the tickets are sold out all the time. Just a thought, but I have no idea how all the financials work for these entities.

I just know a lot of people sure wish they could get in to see a good game sometime. I also think Spokane arena is pretty impressive when it is rockin;)

gamagin
03-02-2010, 02:16 PM

That turns out to be once a year, when we play a big name school who won't play us in the K2, but will play in a "neutral" site.

The one and only game is also a benefit for the Ronald McDonald House and a big, usually or nearly sold out, affair. Hundreds of volunteers plan and execute the ticket sales (above and beyond the 6k season tickets sold) and get a chunk of the excess. GU doesn't need to do any of that at home. It's sold out.

But the bottom line is we make more money (read all the money) by keeping the game at home. Our opponents, of course, get paid, too. The television package, especially ESPN, also translates into big bucks and more than covers what might be a smaller gate -- even if GU did want more Arena games, which it doesn't.

CDC84
03-02-2010, 02:17 PM
He's explained this before quite well.......

Angelo Roncalli
03-02-2010, 02:29 PM
Here we go again...the explanation I gave in a thread a couple of years ago:

The 6000 seat MAC cost approximately $25,000,000 to build. As the Blanchette article points out, at the time the time the MAC was constructed, 8,000 seat arenas averaged about $37,000,000.

As the Blanchette article also points, quoting assistant AD Chris Standiford, Gonzaga reasonably believed at the time that they could have sold out an 8,000 seat arena. BUT, and this is a huge but, under the circumstances that existed at the time, an 8,000 seat couldn't have paid for itself, even if sold out.

$25,000,000 at the time tapped the donors dry (in fact, Fr. Spitzer had to go back to the McCartheys several times and have them up their donations, for which every Zag fan should be eternally grateful--when you see either of the McCarthey brothers at a game or on campus, walk up to them and thank them for their incredible generosity). There was no more donation capital for construction and Gonzaga would have been worse than foolish to fund a bigger arena with debt because the income stream from an 8,000 seat arena couldn't have serviced the debt, even if every seat in the house were sold out for every game.

An unfortunate reality/dilemma of stadium economics is that the last seat built in a new arena, i.e., the 8,000th seat, is the most expensive to construct and produces the least revenue of any seat in the house. The reason is that construction costs go up exponentially, primarily because of the price of structural steel.

Here's some incredibly simplistic math, but it illustrates the point. Assume 2,000 more seats, each selling for $20 for 13 home games and 1,000 more Bulldog Club memberships (1 for every pair of seats) at $200 per year. That generates $720,000 gross revenue a year. Assume you borrow $12,000,000 on a 30 year note at 6%. It will take monthly payments totaling $864,000 a year to pay the mortgage, and that's before you take into account the greater operating costs (heat, lights, staff, etc.) that an 8,000 seat arena would require. That's a revenue shortfall of $150,000 year--without operating costs being figured in. Then there's the matter of what happens if the team becomes a .500 team for a few years and you only sell 6,000 seats a game. You're flipped even worse.

Gonzaga makes more money playing in the MAC than in the arena. One of the little appreciated benefits of the MAC is the revenue stream from food sales...a revenue stream that you don't have playing in the arena.

BTW, I too think the Spokane Arena is pretty damn impressive. The City owes a debt of gratitude to those committed individuals who had the foresight and persistence to get it built and who had the creativity to come up with the public facilities district system concept (later copied by the Mariners to build Safeco).

GrizZAG
03-02-2010, 02:44 PM
Wow, those were comprehensive responses and I appreciate it so much. Makes total sense knowing the gig, but I am new the the GU Board and didn't see historic threads on this issue.
MAC is impressive too and it does rock as well. I love it when the students are doing the Thunderstruck song. Sounds like it is from the Dark Ages or something. It gives one goosebumps and gets you all jacked for the game. Hopefully it gets the team jacked up too eh?
Again thanks for the detail...

a13coach
03-02-2010, 03:02 PM
Here we go again...the explanation I gave in a thread a couple of years ago:

Gonzaga makes more money playing in the MAC than in the arena. One of the little appreciated benefits of the MAC is the revenue stream from food sales...a revenue stream that you don't have playing in the arena.

BTW, I too think the Spokane Arena is pretty damn impressive. The City owes a debt of gratitude to those committed individuals who had the foresight and persistence to get it built and who had the creativity to come up with the public facilities district system concept (later copied by the Mariners to build Safeco).

A big thanks to GDR!

MedZag
03-02-2010, 04:03 PM
MAC still blows me away how big it is. You really had to be in the old Kennel for a game to realize how "big time" the new arena is.

outrunu
03-02-2010, 05:10 PM
Another reason for not playing in the Arena more, may manifest itself this year. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the Zags play 3 (?) games in the arena, they would not be eligible for a slot @ Spokane for the NCAA's.

MDABE80
03-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Besides size , we simply ran short of money. Back then, Fr's idea was to also build a baseball field and it couldn't be done without some monies being held back. Thus, it took a few years to get the baseball stadium together. It was impossible to build both complexes at the same time.

Using the larger unions drove the MAC cost up by 20% and a bit higher depending on the skill. The University had no call on that but the additional costs precluded the next 2000 seats...and the design changed as well. Not finding fault but if the costs for the first 6000 could have been contained, more seats and some other things could hav been done.

Myself, I had tons of faith in the BBall future for the Zags and I was certain the extra 2000 seats should have been figured out and built in phase one. More seats could be added now...but it would be difficult to the point where recouping costs with a retro fit might be majorly difficult ( well..not maybe).

Think big fellas...always dream and think big. God's on our side;)
Abe

GU32
03-02-2010, 09:19 PM
Think big fellas...always dream and think big.

always dream and think big... Ten years ago none of us believed this program would have a beautiful new arena, plane, multiple tourney runs, etc... This University and Basketball program have done such a great job of “dreaming big.” Why stop now? I hope people don't become content with this great success... Continue to dream big... We could be just scratching the surface of what can be achieved.