PDA

View Full Version : Withers Article on WCC Awards

Angelo Roncalli
03-01-2010, 04:52 PM
"I really thought he and Omar both deserved it [POY]," said Few. "Both were so consistent and so good."

Samhan led the WCC in scoring (21.5), rebounding (11.1) and blocked shots (2.9). But Bouldin prevailed on the basis of his all-around game and perhaps on Gonzaga's regular-season title, while the Gaels were runners-up. Bouldin averaged 16 points and was among the league's top five in assists, free-throw percentage and steals.

"Bouldin got (the award), deservedly so," said Saint Mary's coach Randy Bennett. "Omar was equally deserving of the award. It's just a compliment to our league that there's another player coaches think is as good or better than Omar."

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/collegesports/2011227236_zags02.html

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-01-2010, 06:36 PM
An almost too gracious response from coach Randy Bennett imho....bet that's fuel to stoke SMC's fire knowing they best assure themselves a bid by winning the WCC tourney.

I am definitely hoping for a Zags vs Gaels final as the intensity of that game would be best prep WCC has to offer us for tourney tuneup.

RenoZag
03-01-2010, 06:51 PM
I think whomever the Zags face on Sunday will give them just as good a test; LMU and USF are both capable of putting the heat to the Bulldogs; Gonzaga has to play TWO good games at The Orleans Arena, not just one.

alaskazagnut
03-02-2010, 01:18 AM
Like zagasaurusFlex said. That is all the more reason for Omar to hate the Zags and to get fuel for St. Marys fire.

I would hate to think how much Omar hates Gonzaga. He may be gracious (now) like his coach, but deep down he hates us. I mean the Zags have taken almost every award and tourney birth from him. If St Marys didn't have to contend with GU for the last decade, they would be ranked more and in the dance every other year. They are that good.

But I think Omar was lucky enough to beat us twice. More than any other WCC team in that same span.

titopoet
03-02-2010, 06:15 AM
I love that Matt won. It was a victory for team players verses ball hogs. As much as Omar gets the bag, (30%) his assist numbers should be higher. They are not.

Notre Dame is finding out that ball hogs actually hurt you in the long run.

jake
03-02-2010, 08:23 AM
I love that Matt won. It was a victory for team players verses ball hogs. As much as Omar gets the bag, (30%) his assist numbers should be higher. They are not.

I agree with hte positives regarding Matt, but completely disagree with the implied negatives about Omar. St. Mary's is where they are because of Omar. The guy leads the league in scoring, rebounding, and blocks. He shoots 54% from the field and you're knocking his assists stats? I agree that Matt's victory is a victory for team ball, but only in the sense that he's on a team with a lot of talent and his willingness to work within the GU system has lead to increased success for his team versus his individual numbers being as high as possible. I don't believe for a minute that St. Mary's would be a better team with Omar scoring fewer points. Both guys are well rounded, high quality players that would have been deserving recipients of the award.

john montana
03-02-2010, 11:07 AM

I'm not overly fond of Omar's antics, but to call him a ball hog? have you watched him play? He is skilled, and nearly always makes the right play.

Glad matt won, but it could have gone either way and I wouldn't complain. Two great (and different) players.

MJGoGaels
03-03-2010, 07:10 AM
Like zagasaurusFlex said. That is all the more reason for Omar to hate the Zags and to get fuel for St. Marys fire.

I would hate to think how much Omar hates Gonzaga. He may be gracious (now) like his coach, but deep down he hates us. I mean the Zags have taken almost every award and tourney birth from him. If St Marys didn't have to contend with GU for the last decade, they would be ranked more and in the dance every other year. They are that good.

But I think Omar was lucky enough to beat us twice. More than any other WCC team in that same span.

Hate was used 4 times in this post and twice in one sentence. Very good.
:(

Interesting fact: OS was the WCC Player of the Month for November, December and January, and multiple times player of the week. This is not to suggest that Bouldin was not otherwise equally relevant, but when a guy leads the WCC in the 3 major statistical categories (first time since Bill Cartwright of USF) something that should not have been forgotten.

Not getting POY - motivation-fire? That stuff is good for off-season training to get someone through the dog days of summer, but not for the WCC tournaments.

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-05-2010, 05:30 AM
Not getting POY - motivation-fire? That stuff is good for off-season training to get someone through the dog days of summer, but not for the WCC tournaments.

I disagree

After posting the numbers he has this season only to be second fiddle once again to GU you don't think Omar and St. Marys will have added motivation? Not that they need more things to motivate them. Samhan is a fiery competitor and any athlete worth his salt doesn't like getting beat by anybody for anything.

ExtremeJim
03-05-2010, 06:59 AM
...you don't think Omar...will have added motivation?

No doubt he will. But he averaged 26 points and 11.5 rebounds in the first two losses as it is, and was off the floor for only 6 minutes in two games. For how much more production do you believe "added motivation" can account?

No, the answer for St. Mary's has to come from one of the other positions, and the motivation of a teammate over a perceived slight to his buddy is going to be an order of magnitude less intense than it would be to the "scorned" player himself.

Omar can read all the national player ratings articles that have Bouldin ranked ahead of him, and he knows those raters did so knowing his statistics relative to Matt's. It's mainly the St. Mary's fans that don't understand how experts rate players, not Omar himself. Heck, on their message board it was almost four pages of a thread before someone mentioned the choice was by vote of the WCC head coaches--most Gaels' fans were outraged at some nebulous panel of, I guess, sportswriters?

It may well be that it was Coach Few's vote that swung the election. I could understand if he voted for Dior Lowhorn, for example, since Lowhorn beat the Zags, while Samhan didn't, and posted comparable, if not superior, numbers while doing so. In this scenario, Bennett's admitted vote for Bouldin wouldn't have been cancelled by a corresponding Few vote for Samhan, and for perfectly legitimate (well, to everyone but the Gaels) reasons.

webspinnre
03-05-2010, 07:04 AM
I'd be shocked if Few had voted for Lowhorn over Samhan.

bballbeachbum
03-05-2010, 07:32 AM
An almost too gracious response from coach Randy Bennett imho....bet that's fuel to stoke SMC's fire knowing they best assure themselves a bid by winning the WCC tourney.

I am definitely hoping for a Zags vs Gaels final as the intensity of that game would be best prep WCC has to offer us for tourney tuneup.

good call on the slick response from Bennett. I thought the exact same thing as soon as all of this went down...that it could be a motivator for Samhan. The only thing, tho, is that Matt deserved it; it's not like Samhan got robbed.

sittingon50
03-05-2010, 09:29 AM
So your all saying that Omar WASN'T 100% motivated the 2 times he played GU this year?

(scratches head)

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-06-2010, 03:10 AM
So your all saying that Omar WASN'T 100% motivated the 2 times he played GU this year?

(scratches head)

No, that's not what I'm saying.

Imagine you are in the woods on a dark, scary night. You gather all the dry wood you can find and build a fire. Omar has built two nice fires so far this year with all the wood he could find for those two earlier games vs G.U. What I'm saying is that Matt being chosen POY over Samhan is a nice big thick piece of dry wood for Omar to fuel his next fire with.

If I were going to Vegas, I'd bring graham crackers, chocolate bars and marshmallows to the St. Mary's games because that team will be playing with big fires throughout.

sittingon50
03-06-2010, 08:01 AM
don't think the analogy is relevant.

It might reflect well on a Boy Scout in the Redwoods but not a D1 player on the hardwood.

JPtheBeasta
03-06-2010, 02:15 PM
I think Omar wins the POY if it is based just on stats. In light of that, the POY award this year was either:

a)a popularity contest
b)a lifetime acheivement award
c)weighted on overall team performance
d) weighted against 100 lb butts

I can't make a strong arguemnt against any of the above, because this is an arbitrary award anyway. I wonder if anyone else in the league has similar run-ins with this guy that Zagville did. Matt is such a squeeky clean guy (one could say the same about last year's Bryant; he even took a knife helping an assault victim, if I remember right). Matt is also a proven winner. Omar has little to no charisma and his teams consistantly lost. I don't feel bad for the guy. I'm also not worried about him getting fired up by the snub, because he already has enough competitive fire. I don't see him torching us for 40 and taking the game from us, and if they win it's going to be the role players that step it up.

bballbeachbum
03-06-2010, 03:00 PM

(scratches head)

no...but any little thing can help sharpen the blade, like for the next go round, if there is one. that's what I'm saying, tho it's certainly not my own idea on how this psychology works

for example, last year when all the WCC awards went elsewhere, quite a few believed GUs crushing run through the WCC tourney was fueled in part by being snubbed in the conference's popularity contest; some do get quite motivated by things like this...not that I think it means catastrophe for the Zags even if Samhan is so, or that it happened just so with last year's team.