PDA

View Full Version : ALL-WCC Awards - Congrats POY Bouldin & others!

lothar98zag
03-01-2010, 12:18 PM
2010 West Coast Conference
Menís Basketball Honors

WCC Player of the Year
Matt Bouldin, GON

Coach of the Year
Mark Few, GON

Newcomer of the Year
Elias Harris, GON

WCC Defensive Player of the Year
Omar Samhan, SMC

2010 All-WCC First Team
Matt Bouldin, GON
Steven Gray, GON
Elias Harris, GON
Omar Samhan, SMC
Mickey McConnell, SMC
Robin Smeulders, POR
T.J. Campbell, POR
Dior Lowhorn, USF
Vernon Teel, LMU
Drew Viney, LMU

Honorable Mention
Keion Bell, PEP
Mychel Thompson, PEP
Matthew Dellavedova, SMC
Brandon Johnson, USD
Luke Sikma, POR
Jared Stohl, POR
Marc Trasolini, SCU

All-Freshman Team
Elias Harris, GON
Matthew Dellavedova, SMC
Ashley Hamilton, LMU
Chris Manresa, USD
Robert Smith, SCU

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2010/mar/01/bouldin-named-wcc-player-year/

Gonzaga senior guard Matt Bouldin was named the WCC player of the year, the league announced Monday afternoon.
GUís Elias Harris was selected freshman of the year and Mark Few was chosen coach of the year. Saint Maryís center Omar Samhan was voted defensive player of the year.
Bouldin, Harris and Steven Gray were first-team All-WCC selections. Bouldin has been on the first team the last three seasons. The rest of the first team: Portlandís T.J. Campbell and Robin Smeulders; San Franciscoís Dior Lowhorn; Saint Maryís Mickey McConnell and Samhan; and Loyola Marymountís Vernon Teel and Drew Viney.
Bouldin, the versatile 6-5 guard from Highlands Ranch, Colo., is averaging a career-high 16 points and 4.1 assists per game this season.
Joining Harris on the All-freshman team: Saint Maryís Matthew Dellavedova, LMUís Ashley Hamilton, San Diegoís Chris Manresa and Santa Claraís Robert Smith.
Check back later for an expanded article on the All-WCC awards and a feature story on GUís upcoming Senior Night.also - http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/030110aad.html

U Zig, I Zag
03-01-2010, 12:23 PM
Matt!

Awesome, good job ALL those guys (inlcuding Samhan.. I guess... ;0)

MickMick
03-01-2010, 12:24 PM
Awesome!!!!

Few took a team that barely knew each other into Maui and came home with the trophy. Ten WCC crowns in a row. Best winning percentage in the nation.

He was very deserving of this award.

gamagin
03-01-2010, 12:24 PM
he earned it. So did Elias and Steven.

titopoet
03-01-2010, 12:27 PM
Congrats Matt.

hooter73
03-01-2010, 12:30 PM
Should have been the second consicutive year if you ask me...

lothar98zag
03-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Congrats All!

Not sure I would have voted exactly the same as listed above, but I won't argue with any of it.

U Zig, I Zag
03-01-2010, 12:34 PM
SMC board will be happy I am sure.
http://godisagael.yuku.com/topic/3939/t/All-WCC-Team-and-Player-of-the-Year.html
I know it's for just the one year, but people are human (the voters) - Matt had a great year but more importantly a great career (3-time all WCC).

zag944
03-01-2010, 12:44 PM
admittably Ive only watched them 4 times this year, but Samhan never stood out to me as a good defender. Quite the opposite really...

U Zig, I Zag
03-01-2010, 12:47 PM
admittably Ive only watched them 4 times this year, but Samhan never stood out to me as a good defender. Quite the opposite really...

I think Gray was D-player of the year but I am a homer and we can't be too greedy...

EngineerZag
03-01-2010, 12:48 PM
I agree, against us, but he dominated defensively against other WCC teams, leading the league in blocks per game.

zag944
03-01-2010, 12:53 PM
yeah he is way ahead of everyone in rebounds too. It was just my impression that while he did the stuff that fills the stat books he wasnt the type to shut his man down.

but yeah, I only watched their 2 against Gonzaga, one against Portland, and a nonconference.

a13coach
03-01-2010, 12:54 PM
The other WCC coaches must have decided to honor Matty with a "body of work" award and in doing so decided to give DPOY to Shamham as a consolation prize. The Sham's numbers point to offense not sure how his defense is but in the few games I saw (especially the one in the Kennel) I thought his defense was average at best. Now I have not seen the stats of his against opposing players (did he shut significantly shut down the people he was guarding?) but he sure looked lazy and gassed up here in the Kennel just waving at some shots.

gamagin
03-01-2010, 01:01 PM
I think Gray was D-player of the year but I am a homer and we can't be too greedy...

I didn't see Omar, good as he was, changing games with his D, running others into the ground, like Steven, or even Meech, did. Many times, Meech and SG just ground down the other team's runners.

My main criticism of OS is he wasn't in good enough shape to play the number of minutes SMC needed him to beat us. He just had to sit no matter what the score was. I know he dropped alot of weight and looked better than ever, but it wasn't enough, imo.

He just ran out of gas after showing many times he was plenty good enough and plenty willing to play, but just couldn't keep up the pace for a whole game.

I think if he really maxxed out his physical conditioning, he could be really great. Loved his game.

ronh_pm
03-01-2010, 01:10 PM
There is more to being player of the year than just scoring. Otherwise they would call the honor, "Top scorer of the year" or "Offensive player of the year"

Congrats to the Matt and the rest of the deserving award winners.

zagsmyboys
03-01-2010, 01:10 PM
Nice job All!!!! Just goes to show that GU is and always will be the Best in the West!!!

mee755
03-01-2010, 01:12 PM
Congrats to all! Well-deserved honors.

hooter73
03-01-2010, 01:19 PM
Omar got the "Good year but where do we put him?" award.

Xin Loi 67
03-01-2010, 01:23 PM
Should have been the second consicutive year if you ask me...

Just a better all round player, period. They screwed up last year but did right this year.

Colorado, is proud of it's native son.

Carry on, Matt T.

NotoriousZ
03-01-2010, 01:24 PM
Nice work, Zags! You earned it.

MickMick
03-01-2010, 01:25 PM
This All Conference team is a good one.

The player rarely talked about is Robin Smeulders. I was extremely impressed with his play in the handful of Pilot games I watched. I think the Pilots will miss him a lot.

I feel bad for Brandon Johnson. His injury was tough to overcome but we saw flashes of his former brilliance at Jenny Craig this year. Zags had a double digit lead when he entered the game and he immediately changed the momentum. He would have been a lock for All WCC if not for his misfortune.

I think the two best players left off of the squad are Keion Bell and Matthew Dellavedova. But who would they replace? I personally liked Delly's game better than McConnel's, but that is based on how they played against the Zags.

The best performance against the Zags by any player this side of Chapel Hill has to be by Keion Bell. With a little more consistency, he would have been a no brainer for this team.

Kevin Foster of SCU could have easily made this squad if not for his season ending injury.

I'm gonna miss watching the likes of Samhan, Lowhorn, Johnson, Campbell, and Smeulders. Plenty of good young talent coming in to keep things interesting though.

cjm720
03-01-2010, 01:29 PM
Awesome. Way to go Matt, Elias, Steven, and Few!!!!!!!!!

Therunner
03-01-2010, 01:37 PM
Nicely done by the Zags 'big three'. Nearly a clean sweep, yet Omar deserved to be on the list somewhere and happy they found a spot for him.

Do you think the All-WCC team would be favorites to make the Final Four or possibly contend for a National Championship? Who would be the starting five? In addition, how fun would it be to see All-Conference teams from around the country play in a stand alone Tournament after the season ended? Just wishful thinking on my part. ;)

My starters:
PG - Matt Bouldin
SG - Vernon Teel
SF - Dior Lowhorn
PF - Elias Harris
C - Omar Samhan

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-01-2010, 01:45 PM
Good to see those trophies back where they belong -- in Spokane!! Omar had one heck of a year, but Matt was the backbone of a team that overachieved during an alleged "rebuilding year."

DenDiegoZag
03-01-2010, 01:49 PM
Congratulations to Matt, Few, and Steven...I think that this is fitting in the year that we tie some of those great programs who achieved 10 straight conference championships.

TerpZag
03-01-2010, 02:27 PM
Congratulations to Matt Bouldin, Steven Gray, Elias Harris and Mark Few!

A word of thanks to all their fellow Zag teammates and assistant coaches for their great job during the season too.

Go Zags!!!

lothar98zag
03-01-2010, 03:10 PM
Go to GoZags.com & check out the nice graphic they made...

:clap::allhail::clap:

U Zig, I Zag
03-01-2010, 03:16 PM
Go to GoZags.com & check out the nice graphic they made...

:clap::allhail::clap:

quick! someone post that graphic on godisagael.com!!!!

:cheers:

ellenvega
03-01-2010, 03:18 PM
I'm happy with the results. Congrats to all!

misszigzag
03-01-2010, 04:00 PM
Congratulations go out to Matt, Elias, Steven, and Coach Few! Way to go guys :)

ronh_pm
03-01-2010, 04:05 PM
quick! someone post that graphic on godisagael.com!!!!

:cheers:

Winning three individual awards will seem pretty weak to not winning the WCC Tourney. I hate to see a pic of Sam holding the trophy being posted here next week.

:)

tobizag
03-01-2010, 04:31 PM
someone on the smc board actually is claiming that omar is not only going to play in the nba, but will have a better career than bouldin....

oh well, focus on the positive. congrats to matt, steven, elias, and mark! excellent season for the bulldogs! let's win 2 games in vegas and get ready for the dance.

btw, samhan defensive poy? puuhhlleeezz.

Reborn
03-01-2010, 05:34 PM
Again congrats to Mark few, Matt Bouldin, Elias Harris and Steven Gray. You all deserved this award for sure. Just a great job this season by all of you. This is truly a year to remember. I think one of the better years in a long time and for sure the best since Morrison left. This was unexpected and a lot of fun. I am so exccited about the two tournaments that are ahead of the Zags. Again, I think they will surprise us. That's just the way they are.

UberZagFan
03-01-2010, 05:46 PM
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/7555/10cpnoftheyearsplash.jpg (http://img35.imageshack.us/i/10cpnoftheyearsplash.jpg/)

Sarenyon
03-01-2010, 06:27 PM
Gotta get in my congrats to the players and coach. Great Job Guys!!!!

IdahoZagFan
03-01-2010, 07:05 PM
Congratulations to Coach Few, Matt B., Elias, and Steven! Absolutely wonderful and well deserved awards!

Steven - you're our Defensive Player of the Year! (Not even close.) Go, Steven!!! And, Honorable Mention to Meech.

What a remarkable job Coach Few has done this year! But, it couldn't be done without the other coaches, who have also done marvelous jobs. We're very pleased and want to especially recognize the contributions of all of the coaches and staff.

Now, GO ZAGS!!!

Zag79
03-02-2010, 02:30 AM
congrats zags, talk about stepping up big time this year. matt cemented himself into zag lore, harris became the best freshman in zag history, and gray was one of the best players in the league. nicely done!

Birddog
03-02-2010, 03:20 AM
Congrats to all esp Matt. I was on record stating that I didn't think he'd get it (not that he didn't deserve it). I'm pleased to say I was waaaaay wrong.

JAGzag
03-02-2010, 03:30 AM
Why do the Gael fans feel they're entitled to so much respect? Reading through their board most claim there is no case for Matt's award. They've done nothing in years but for some reason feel they should be included in every "great NCAA tourney team" coming from the WCC? Just don't get it.

U Zig, I Zag
03-02-2010, 06:56 AM
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/7555/10cpnoftheyearsplash.jpg (http://img35.imageshack.us/i/10cpnoftheyearsplash.jpg/)

Great! :mad: Thanks for nothing Graves. Single reason we didn't sweep the All-Hair awards this year....

;)

U Zig, I Zag
03-02-2010, 07:05 AM
Why do the Gael fans feel they're entitled to so much respect? Reading through their board most claim there is no case for Matt's award. They've done nothing in years but for some reason feel they should be included in every "great NCAA tourney team" coming from the WCC? Just don't get it.

I have been jumping over there. They are just mad. I imagine the reasonable people 'get it' whether they like it or not. It's turning into a bit of Matt bashing which is odd since he didn't do anything - he didn't have a vote for crying out loud. Can't say we would have been much better, frankly. Good thing Samhan didn't win! ;)

I was going to say something on their board but thought better of it. My idea is this:

This is a coaches vote right? Maybe, just maybe Samhan's antics over the years sealed the deal. He did himself in. I have ridden Samhan as hard as anyone, he is a good player - but he seems to be a bad sport on the court. It doesn't take a genius to see that if you watched any number of his games. I am not saying that's exactly what happened but human emotions go into human actions (voting in this case).

I think Matt deserved it, no doubt. It's not even really an upset choice to have Matty get the win. It's just a different choice than Samhan.

I guess the 'attitude' issue would have been the case with Morrison in some people's view but he was so dominant and recognized on a national level that not getting POY would have raised eyebrows across the nation.

seasontixholder
03-02-2010, 07:35 AM
I think the coaches are more mature than that. It was just a matter of their values, and how much importance is put on running an offense. The hardest thing in the world as a BB coach is to put out a product that looks like it had some intelligence and practice. It takes certain individuals to actually carry that out, and make things go as planned. Matt did all of that while racking up stellar numbers for the position and being a model for everything good in college sports to boot.

The St. Mary's fans were equally as sure that their female star would get top honors, too, based on sheer numbers. OTOH, the coaches put much more stock in the organizing abilities and performance of CV. The Pilots' women coach almost mocked the idea of anyone else being seriouslyconsidered by calling her maybe the best player ever in the WCC, as if it bugged him that others couldn't see greatness when it seemed so obvious to a coach who could appreciate what a special playmaker brings.

That's why Matt won, too.

U Zig, I Zag
03-02-2010, 07:45 AM
I wasn't thinking a Gossip Girl type backstabbing deal by the coaches against Samhan. More along the lines that the POY is going (nay! required) to be a quality person on many levels. Matt's and Vandtastic's virtues seem to fit the bill. Perfect choices, imho.

Both Men's and Women's programs are a notch above the rest and our players and coaches were rewarded justly.

kyle dixon
03-02-2010, 07:49 AM
Zig Zag could not have said it any better. In all honesty, I really thought that Samhan was going to win the player of the year award. His numbers were so good, and I thought that the best that Bouldin would pull would be a share of the MVP award.

I believe that this award was voted on by the coaches. I compare this to the years in the MVP award when Steve Nash won this award going away. It was not the numbers and statistics that were measured for the award, it was the leadership role that Matt took on to win the outright league title.

Samhan had an outstanding year, albeit he is one player that drives me nuts with his on court antics. I am sure he is disappointed with not receiving this award and all but as Few said he was very deserving of at least a share of this award with him bringing it every night in the WCC. I can understand the Gael fans being pissed off. However, the coaches did vote on this award not just Mark Few and the players across the league. Maybe, just maybe the fellow WCC coaches see exactly what us Zag fans see as valuable in Bouldin and the role he took on this year's league championship team?

The lifetime achievement award for the MVP trophy? No way. Matt Bouldin after that talk prior to the Tennessee game last year with Mark Few took on a role of a leader, and has lead us ever since. The season Bouldin has had so far has been outstanding and his value to the Zag team and Zag nation will leave us talking about MB for years on end.

Congratulations Matt Bouldin and the seniors---

Kyle

seasontixholder
03-02-2010, 07:58 AM
To me, the WCC were consummate pros who came to their conclusions rationally and not personally. They had to prep game plans focused on the other teams' best players, and suffer the consequences when the other team's best guy foiled them. Matt did that better than any other player in the league. He had stats. He had wins. Most of all, he was clutch.

I doubt that personality figured that highly in their calculations. Most of them deal with characters on their respective teams that caused more angst than anything the Omar has done since his early years. In fact, they probably wished their own guys could have borrowed some of OS's passion.

gamagin
03-02-2010, 07:59 AM
so did Matt by all standards. He led a team of young strangers, many of them true freshmen, who gelled on the fly, won big league tournaments and big league games, and have been ranked nationally nearly all year long.

Omar led a team that did really well, but managed to gain much less national attention & only briefly for a variety of reasons, then got swept by the Zags.

Matt was the more complete player and the Zags were the more complete team. Omar, I'm sure, came in second in the POY process. He belongs on the first team and I question his selection of Defenseive poy, but it was clear the selection committee felt he needed extra league attention for a fine career.

In both cases these young stars are right where they belong, given the greater results by Matt and the Zags vs. Omar and the Gaels.

Ziggy
03-02-2010, 08:00 AM
Way to go Matty B, Mr. E and Stevie G. Oh, and Mark! Lets cap league play with the tourney crown. Go Zaga!

Once and Future Zag
03-02-2010, 08:47 AM
I really don't get the notion over at the GisaG board that some nebulous "WCC" assigned these awards.

It's these 8 coaches (with the backing of their respective AD's) who make the call and place the votes.

Mark Few
Randy Bennett
Max Good
Rex Walters
Eric Reveno
Tom Asbury
Billy Grier
Kerry Keating

Say what you want about their respective abilities and demeanors- that's an awful lot of good coaches. I think from top to bottom, every team in this league has a coach that can bring them success year in and year out.

At least 5 of 7 those guys not named Mark Few think that by whatever criteria they were given that Matt Bouldin is POY.