PDA

View Full Version : Mark Few TV show 2/28/10

Zag 77
03-01-2010, 11:20 AM
Last night's episode of the Mark Few Show had an interview with Matt Bouldin in which he mentions that winning a National Championship or going to a Final Four is a goal of his. He must have been reading the nonsense last week here in which he was criticized because he did not list that as a goal he held for himself at GU.

Also a clip with Foster in which he said he enjoyed his years at GU.

Section 116
03-01-2010, 11:33 AM
Here's what Few and Heister had to say on the 2/28/10 edition of the show, which I think may be the last one. There isn't one next week due to the WCC tournament and Heister is off to Alaska soon to do the Iditarod so I'm not sure if there will be an end of the season show. They didn't indicate there would.

Hesiter opens by noting it is now championship week. Few said 10 straight years of winning the WCC and it never gets old. He noted we take everyone's best shot for two months and to come out on top yet again is great. Few said this year we were vulnerable, we have so many new faces. I'm as proud of this group as any we've had. We had to instill in our kids how important it is to win the league. The kids around them, their friends, and other kids they run into at camps and elsewhere only talk about the NCAA's but we want our kids to understand about winning the league. This league is better this year, it's tough at the top with SMC and UP and there is better talent around the league. Heister mentioned Steven Grey and noted he would no doubt be taking Bouldin's spot next year. Few said Gray hasn't shot that well this year as a whole but he makes the free throws and he is defensively tough. About Matt, he has had a phenominal career, it started from day one, he's a complete basketball player. With all the dunking and atleticism nowadays, Matt is a dying breed, he can do it all.

Dale in Ft. Wayne, IN had the fan question. He was curious how Few felt regarding the potential first round NCAA appearance in Spokane for the Zags. Few noted it would be great for our fans. After selection Sunday our fans have just a few days to make travel arrangements and it is expensive. You don't know where you're going until then and it's hard for our fans to get some places. He said it would be nice for our guys to sleep in their own beds and not have to travel should the team be fortunate enough to be placed in Spokane. I haven't really dwelled on it with the team.

Heister/Bouldin interview: Matt noted he had a choice of many colleges coming out of high school but I wanted to come here. It hasn't hit me yet this is my last game in the Kennel coming up. My parents and grandparents will be here. My grandparents have never seen me play. GU is like home to me, I'm gonna miss this place. Regarding his and the team accomplishments while at GU, you always want to go to a Final 4 but I've accomplished some personal goals I've had. Heister asked about the awards Matt has been nominated for on a national level. Matt said being on those lists is not that big a deal for him now, but when he looks back on it 20 years down the line it will be. Right now I just want to win games. And then this is the biggest summer of my life coming with a chance to play in the NBA. Just getting drafted regardless of the round would be a dream come true. I think I can play with anyone in the country. Heister said he would recall Matt as a guy who, in his senior year, still looked to pass first. Matt said he loves to pass the ball and I think that will help me in the long run. Heister asked Matt if he made the right choice coming to GU. Matt said he didn't know one player, from the camps etc. he has been at who at times wondered if he had made the right choice. You wonder at times what might have happened had I gone elsewhere but he is happy at GU. Heister asked about going out with Will and P-Maag and Matt said he is going to miss Will like crazy and P-Magg is a great asset to the team.

At the end of the show Heister asked Few about Bouldin. Few said he has proven himself. He had a great year this year and he will go down as one of the alltime great Zag guards like Stepp, Dickau, Morrison and Stockton. Few said he loves to kid Stockton about the fact he never won a championship while at GU. Regarding the upcoming senior night game Few said he likes having a non-league game for that and it gives the team a game before the WCC's without having 8 days off. Few and Heister noted it will probably be the most competitive WCC semi-final in the past 10 years. Few said we will probably play either LMU or USF and those are both tough matchups for us.

End of show.

NotoriousZ
03-01-2010, 12:40 PM
Last night's episode of the Mark Few Show had an interview with Matt Bouldin in which he mentions that winning a National Championship or going to a Final Four is a goal of his. He must have been reading the nonsense last week here in which he was criticized because he did not list that as a goal he held for himself at GU.

Also a clip with Foster in which he said he enjoyed his years at GU.

Really, really sorry to bring this up but the "nonsense" thread was closed before I could comment on it.

The one thing I don't get is how does explicitly saying that our goal is to win the national championship help make winning the national championship happen? To even win a game, you wouldn't say, "our goal is to win this game." Winning and losing shouldn't even be on your mind, you need to make plays to win a game--executing on offense and playing tough and smart on defense, and hustle, hustle, hustle every minute out there.

Apologies once again, that's been eating at me since I read that thread and I feel much better now.

sonuvazag
03-01-2010, 12:48 PM
Really, really sorry to bring this up but the "nonsense" thread was closed before I could comment on it.

The one thing I don't get is how does explicitly saying that our goal is to win the national championship help make winning the national championship happen? To even win a game, you wouldn't say, "our goal is to win this game." Winning and losing shouldn't even be on your mind, you need to make plays to win a game--executing on offense and playing tough and smart on defense, and hustle, hustle, hustle every minute out there.

Apologies once again, that's been eating at me since I read that thread and I feel much better now.
It (stating your goal) might help in terms of off-season dedication, selflessness, etc... but then again Matt is already the best around at those things.
;)

rawkmandale
03-01-2010, 01:36 PM
Thanks Section 116. Good report, but you left out one point that Mark Few made when asked if playing in Spokane could add pressure to the team. He launched into how it would be much better for the fans, but subtely acknowledged that it might be a wash for the team, with additional pressure/expections and national criticism (he didn't say the latter - I am adding - but he did say additional pressure from expections), perhaps offset by sleeping in their own beds. He did NOT say that playing in Spokane would be better for the TEAM, but obviously is for the fans.

Speaking of national criticism, that has already started. This morning on the _itch in the Morning Show on 1510 (Husky homer) when _itch tried to get the Selection Chair to feel sorry for any five seed that had to play a four seed Gonzaga in Spokane, should that happen. Of course, they weren't using names, but _itch went out of his way to say the show plays in Spokane, and used an "example" of a four seed team playing two miles from its own gym. The Celection Chair said they follow guidelines which protect teams down to the five line.

_itch then blatantly asked the (UCLA Athletic Director) to go in the selection room and lobby for a second PAC-10 team, and asked if there was anything that he or his family needed - anything at all! The Selection Chair should have hung up, but made it clear he wasn't going to be influenced by personal biases or offers of bribes. When _itch asked him to make a commitment to come back on the air with _itch Monday or Tuesday after the selection, he said he would be very busy, but would come back sometime.