PDA

View Full Version : CS Bakersfield Thoughts

kitzbuel
03-01-2010, 05:14 AM
What are thoughts on this game? I definitely see a game at this point as needed to maintain sharpness and focus. We saw the results of that lag a couple of years ago in 2008 so I think the staff is perfectly justified in scheduling these games.

There are a lot of complaints that USC Upstate or CS Bakersfield are a drag on RPI, but I don't think the damage outweighs the value of the game and its positive, long-term effect on the team going into tournament play.

The questions are, could better teams be scheduled at this time slot in the season and what would be the potential cost if the Zags did lose this game (as a result of better competition)?

The biggest problem is finding a team that is open that week, most teams are battling the end of the regular season. Maybe an MVC team? I dunno, pickings are thin.

jazzdelmar
03-01-2010, 05:18 AM
pleez, just no injuries a la the worthless Augustana game....

HRZag
03-01-2010, 05:41 AM
Even though I am driving to Spokane (6 hours) for Matt's last home game, I hope that he gets some well deserved rest and healing time.

Sub in late so that he can then come out for that last time.

Reborn
03-01-2010, 06:04 AM
It's a perfect game. It's merely a tune up before the tournament this weekend. The team will need a little tune up and this is a perfect game for that. It sure worked last year. The team doesn't need a tough game right now. They have two coming up this weekend. No, they will merely need a tune up. It will be a great way to celebrate Senior Night for Will and Matt and pay tribute for all of their contributions to Zag lore. There have been many.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-01-2010, 06:27 AM
Play Will Foster until he fouls out. Find out just how good he can be with 35+ minutes. My guess is, Senior Night brings out career highs in points, rebounds, and blocks for the big guy.

B Wayne
03-01-2010, 06:51 AM
I just hope a chimp is not the mascot for Bakersfield. It would be a long night for Spike!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Bakersfield%20chimp

Kiddwell
03-01-2010, 07:30 AM
Play Will Foster until he fouls out. Find out just how good he can be with 35+ minutes. My guess is, Senior Night brings out career highs in points, rebounds, and blocks for the big guy.

*Thumbs up on the Will Foster idea. :)

Additionally:
*Play the starters first 10 minutes
*Substitute generously
*Let the bench win this game
*Rest Bouldin, Gray, Sacre, Harris, and Meech as much as possible.
*Get psyched for WCC Tourney

:]

rijman
03-01-2010, 07:50 AM
I thought the Bakersfield game and last years USC game were tune ups for the conference tourney AND an opportunity to give the seniors plenty of PT on Senior night. If Senior Night was the final conf game and it was a meaningful game then the non starting seniors might not play much.

I would expect Will to play more in this game than he has in any other game, which would not have happened if Senior Night was vs. USF.

As far as upgrading the opponent, I would bet Few doesn't want real competition, just a practice game in an otherwise 8 day layoff before the WCC tourney where he can play his seniors.

marczagfan
03-01-2010, 08:10 AM
In all honesty, I think this is a good game for the team. Its great for the seniors as they get to go out on a high note in their last home game, and everyone should get to play.

This game won't affect our NCAA seeding or ranking, the only thing it will hurt is our RPI and since we are a lock to make the tourney that does not matter.

This is a good tune up game for the WCC tourney and gives us a game in a week where we would have an 8 day layoff. Followed by a 10 or 11 day layoff before the NCAA tourney after the WCC tourney. Plus, we should get to see Foster play 20+ minutes and that is worth the price of admission itself.

BobZag
03-01-2010, 09:06 AM
This is the biggest game this week.

adoptedzag
03-01-2010, 09:56 AM
This is the biggest game this week.

:lmao:

lothar98zag
03-01-2010, 11:53 AM
I'm biting my tongue in regards to this game. I may or may not be able to stop myself...

Section 116
03-01-2010, 12:22 PM
This is what Few said on his Sunday night TV show regarding the senior night game: "Regarding the upcoming senior night game Few said he likes having a non-league game for that and it gives the team a game before the WCC's without having 8 days off."