PDA

View Full Version : Heister & Ehlo

Bouvman
02-28-2010, 07:57 AM
Is it just me, or are there others that have trouble keeping up with the game because these two are busy yaking about other things and forget to tell us what is going on? I tried turning off the sound and listening to the radio, but the radio is on time delay.

Thomas_Sutpen
02-28-2010, 08:11 AM
It's even worse when the production team manages to miss some live action in order to show us some lame irrelevant graphic. This usually happens once or twice a game. That drives me crazy.

BobZag
02-28-2010, 08:31 AM
Every channel does it. ESPN2's crew showed Keating several times during his dramatics while points were being scored.

BroncoZAG615
02-28-2010, 08:36 AM
What topic have more threads been started about: Austin Daye's body language, Meech being benched, or Heister and Ehlo?

I bet it's a closely contested battle. Throw on some quality music, open up the computer to the box score or some game thread, and your enjoyment of basketball will skyrocket.

SunDevilGolfZag
02-28-2010, 09:28 AM
Through it all, at least Ehlo knows something about basketball and does not have to ride anyone's coat tails

Zagpower
02-28-2010, 09:34 AM
Their compensation probably consists of two unbeatable seats to every Zag game, a couple carved sandwiches, and open mic night during the games.

75Zag
02-28-2010, 09:42 AM
To butcher an old phrase that probably makes no sense to anyone born after 1955, I am so happy to have access to all GU games on TV that I am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth (even if the horse is named Ehlo).

Virtually every other program with GU's size and budget would kill to have the television exposure we have. I can therefore forgive GU and its broadcast partners for not hiring Dick Vitale and Bob Costas as the full time GU announcers. Our broadcast team might not be in the broadcaster hall of fame, but I think they do a credible - if sometimes "small town" - job.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

ID ZAGFAN
02-28-2010, 09:46 AM
To butcher an old phrase that probably makes no sense to anyone born after 1955, I am so happy to have access to all GU games on TV that I am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth (even if the horse is named Ehlo).

Virtually every other program with GU's size and budget would kill to have the television exposure we have. I can therefore forgive GU and its broadcast partners for not hiring Dick Vitale and Bob Costas as the full time GU announcers. Our broadcast team might not be in the broadcaster hall of fame, but I think they do a credible - if sometimes "small town" - job.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

Makes perfect sense to me--I was born in 1944. :p

ID ZAGFAN

U Zig, I Zag
02-28-2010, 09:47 AM
If those two are like anybody else in their jobs - they will take some critique, learn from it and get better at what they do.

My suggestion for next year (because, for H + E; much like UNC, this season is a lost cause):

Heister needs to lead better and wrangle/save Ehlo when he gets too deep on his metaphors. I don't mind his play by play - he should even do more of it, give pause for Ehlo so he knows to come in.

Ehlo needs to stop using metaphors. Or at least use some that make sense and that he can spit out from beginning to end. Ehlo knows a ton about basketball, that is apparent - he should really stick to the basic explanations of basketball. Describe spacing, the types of zones - why so and so might be playing like this now, etc.

BTW, KHQ - I would forgive all this if you stuck some HD cameras in the Kennel. The WSU game after the Zag game was in HD on FSN afterward :confused:

edit: Bob-father, I took your idea of using a hottie for an avatar - sorry!

Zagpower
02-28-2010, 09:53 AM
I hear ya and I hope we never get Dickie V.

The flip side of the argument is that TV announcing is an incredibly competive field with far more competent individuals than jobs available.

If GU or NBC (or whoever does the hiring) were to ever advertise this job opening for play by play and color man for GU basketball nationwide, I bet hundreds if not more applicants would apply for a great job like that.

The question should be is this the best we can do and do the broadcasters have the same strive for excellence that the GU program has?

Zagpower
02-28-2010, 09:56 AM
If those two are like anybody else in their jobs - they will take some critique, learn from it and get better at what they do.

My suggestion for next year (because, for H + E; much like UNC, this season is a lost cause):

Heister needs to lead better and wrangle/save Ehlo when he gets too deep on his metaphors. I don't mind his play by play - he should even do more of it, give pause for Ehlo so he knows to come in.

Ehlo needs to stop using metaphors. Or at least use some that make sense and that he can spit out from beginning to end. Ehlo knows a ton about basketball, that is apparent - he should really stick to the basic explanations of basketball. Describe spacing, the types of zones - why so and so might be playing like this now, etc.

BTW, KHQ - I would forgive all this if you stuck some HD cameras in the Kennel. The WSU game after the Zag game was in HD on FSN afterward :confused:

edit: Bob-father, I took your idea of using a hottie for an avatar - sorry!

I agree, I'd like to see some improvement. I personally like Ehlo, just not as an announcer. I think he is trying too hard to be the Terry Bradshaw of the college hoops world.

SunDevilGolfZag
02-28-2010, 10:00 AM

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

Further to your excellent post, and speaking of "small town" jobs, Dick Wright did a very credible job, albeit on the radio. (We weren't on TV in those days) He was a dandy homer. I miss listening to him. He was always on point with what was happening at the moment in that game -- he knew when someone was "from somwhere north of nowhere" -my favorite Dick Wright phrase

kitzbuel
02-28-2010, 10:06 AM
I would put up with the GU communications class doing the play by play in exchange for HD cameras in K2.

Xin Loi 67
02-28-2010, 11:19 AM
Last night the master bumbler stumbled into "I don't like Sanham" or close to that, what a kick!

Bouvman, My wife Peachy handles the remote during games because I have a problem in turning up the sound when people talk. Last night she turned off the sound because it was actually easier to follo without their off subject banter. Waiting on who committed a foul until after onee of the free throws is shot is frustrating. Why? The are talking and not watching the game!

MickMick
02-28-2010, 01:39 PM
It's even worse when the production team manages to miss some live action in order to show us some lame irrelevant graphic. This usually happens once or twice a game. That drives me crazy.

They think it is "good journalism" to build in a "storyline". They need the graphics to reinforce their arguments.

To die hard fans, it is intrusive on what they really want to see. That would be the game. I love it when Bobby Knight calls a game because 99% of his discussion is about what is taking place on the court at that particular time.

I do understand, though, that the producers are trying to reach a broader audience than just the die hard fans. A good storyline is a means to draw them in. You just need a good storyline to begin with.

The worst storyline ever?

The "I'm coming back home to Detroit" for Jerome Bettis for Super Bowl XL. The media ran with that ad nauseum to the point that I couldn't bear watching the coverage anymore.

maynard g krebs
02-28-2010, 02:16 PM
Would love to see Richard Fox replace Ehlo.

meadfirefighter
02-28-2010, 03:26 PM
HD Cameras far more important than who's calling the games. But if I had three wishes:

1) Win National Championship
2) HD Cameras
3) Replace Ehlo with Fox

meadfirefighter
02-28-2010, 03:35 PM
Tied for 3rd: A radio network across the state like WSU or U of W's Basketball program.

adoptedzag
02-28-2010, 04:06 PM
HD Cameras far more important than who's calling the games. But if I had three wishes:

1) Win National Championship
2) HD Cameras
3) Replace Ehlo with Fox

imo,
1) HD Cameras
2) Win National Championship
3) Replace Ehlo with Jeff Brown.

GrizZAG
02-28-2010, 06:39 PM
I like Ehlo for a couple of reasons. The guy really does love the Zags just like the rest of us and the fact that he was a pretty good NBA player. He was a WSU star I believe. I remember being at a pre-season NBA exhibition game in Spokane when Ehlo was with the Sonics. They were playing the Blazers. I sat right under the basket and I will never forget the playmaking and passing Ehlo displayed. He saw the floor and had great floor skills. Yeah, kind of a dork sometimes, but hey, he is our dork!

ID ZAGFAN
02-28-2010, 06:44 PM
I like Ehlo for a couple of reasons. The guy really does love the Zags just like the rest of us and the fact that he was a pretty good NBA player. He was a WSU star I believe. I remember being at a pre-season NBA exhibition game in Spokane when Ehlo was with the Sonics. They were playing the Blazers. I sat right under the basket and I will never forget the playmaking and passing Ehlo displayed. He saw the floor and had great floor skills. Yeah, kind of a dork sometimes, but hey, he is our dork!

Yeah, I kind of like our dork! :p

ID ZAGFAN

MickMick
02-28-2010, 06:45 PM

Put me in the Ehlo fan club as well. I like his personable style and his time in the NBA gives him the proper credentials.

It isn't his fault that the producers decide to display graphics in the midst of action on the court.

zagzilla
02-28-2010, 07:38 PM
I am already sick of hearing Ehlo and (Steven Bardo before that) try to stumble through Leon Rice's (or was it Jerry Krause's) maxim about the 2 things that don't last long being dogs that chase cars and teams that miss free throws.

Bardo wore it out and now Ehlo feels compelled to say it whenever we miss a few in a row

I also agree that the Zag games look like crap on FSN. (Listen to us 5 years ago we were happy they were on TV at all and now we aren't satisfied without HD.) :)

ZZ

GrizZAG
02-28-2010, 07:50 PM
I am already sick of hearing Ehlo and (Steven Bardo before that) try to stumble through Leon Rice's (or was it Jerry Krause's) maxim about the 2 things that don't last long being dogs that chase cars and teams that miss free throws.

Bardo wore it out and now Ehlo feels compelled to say it whenever we miss a few in a row

I also agree that the Zag games look like crap on FSN. (Listen to us 5 years ago we were happy they were on TV at all and now we aren't satisfied without HD.) :)

ZZ

+1

allbusiness_zag
03-01-2010, 04:22 PM
One thing that I really like about Ehlo and Heister is that they truly love our team. They do go off on tangents sometimes, but hey, it can be entertaining. :)

ZagsObserver
03-01-2010, 06:19 PM
Is it just me, or are there others that have trouble keeping up with the game because these two are busy yaking about other things and forget to tell us what is going on? I tried turning off the sound and listening to the radio, but the radio is on time delay.

To be honest, I realy enjoy Ehlo and Heister...the GU Board throws a lot of crap their way, but to be honest, they keep it interesting, and are much better than some of the other goons I've heard over the years from different teams.

IdahoZagFan
03-01-2010, 07:23 PM
Although we're not the most sophisticated basketball fans, we think Heister and Ehlo are fine. They certainly are better than some of the alternatives. And they are positive about the Zags.

Although it may look simple, the job is probably more difficult than it seems. One of our pet peeves (on any of the games, not just Zag games) is when the camera is off the action.

Dogtownkid
03-01-2010, 08:04 PM
I like them too. Ehlo can be a bit goofy at times, but he does know the game. They both seem to be Zag fans, and I can forgive much because of that. I get mildly irrittated and have to mute occasionally, but that doesn't work well for me, so I always have to turn the sound on again quickly.

I've heard some announcers who drove me crazy babbling on about other teams I'm not remotely interested in--and actually ignoring action on the floor while they are doing it.

I hereby promise myself I'm going to get HD and a huge new TV set for basketball season next year.

MDABE80
03-01-2010, 08:28 PM
Just trying to make a livin guys....just tryin to make a livin....they do the best they can.....obviously they won't be network stars...but they try.....and they're not so bad. Good guys supporting their families getting to watch some Zag ball. Not bad, not good ...just makin a livin.

TR11Zag
03-01-2010, 08:35 PM
They're goofy, but it just works. They're a great team and we have different announcers for the ESPN games...

Zagsker
03-01-2010, 10:48 PM
I would put up with the GU communications class doing the play by play in exchange for HD cameras in K2.

amen to that

(granted this was a different station) the games at LMU and pepperdine were almost impossible to watch...cannot believe that is what I thought was "great" image before HD came along:D

Zagsker
03-01-2010, 10:50 PM
Just trying to make a livin guys....just tryin to make a livin....they do the best they can.....obviously they won't be network stars...but they try.....and they're not so bad. Good guys supporting their families getting to watch some Zag ball. Not bad, not good ...just makin a livin.

I guess I agree....although they have some unbearable moments...I keep thinking about how they are just doing their job.

RenoZag
11-30-2010, 08:39 PM
Nothing has changed and nothing will change. This thread from LAST season

ZagLawGrad
11-30-2010, 08:40 PM
nothing has changed and nothing will change. This thread from last season

lol rz!

Bulldoggie
11-30-2010, 10:13 PM
As yakob Smirnov used to say,"What a country". Not only do we have an abundance of talent scouts and would be head coaches, now the TV announcers are coming out of the woodwork.

We have skewered the players, coaches and now the announcers." Bomb Squad" watch out you may be next. I am sure there are some choreographers out in the audience

By the way are there any bartenders out there. I could use a beer after reading this BS.

Pargo the Destroyer
11-30-2010, 10:22 PM
They are both good people. I like good people. They are everyman men, except one played in NBA.