PDA

View Full Version : Beware the roar of the...

Therunner
02-28-2010, 06:54 AM
LMU Lions?

Loyola is playing terrific basketball at just the right time. Ever since they reactivated Jarred Dubois, Larry Davis, and Ashley Johnson from injury and back into the rotation, they've been on a serious roll.

In the last two weeks, they've beaten Gonzaga, Portland, USD, and nearly toppled SMC on the road. BTW, the Gaels had to play a picture perfect game to escape LMU with Omar scoring 33, Delly scoring 20+, SMC shooting 50% from 3pt, and even attempting three times as many FT's to have a chance vs Lions last night.

LMU appears to be the dark-horse heading into the Tourney. The quarter final game between USF and LMU should be a good one. The winner will advance to play #1 GU and both of these teams have beaten us this year. Ironic.

Considering the Zags will face either one of these teams in the opening round, I feel we have a tougher matchup being the #1 seed this season since we actually match-up a bit better with Portland than LMU or USF. Also, you could argue LMU is the better team with better talent at this point in the season than anyone outside of SMC/GU. Many forget LMU has players on their roster whom have transfered from USC, Oregon, and even snagged a couple Top-150 recruits. LMU is the only team in the WCC(SMC is close) who has matched our recruiting rankings the past two years.

It is clear the Lions have the talent to make some noise in the WCC Tourney and if we end up playing them again, we just may need our best effort to advance. Of any teams in the WCC, they have the athleticism, quickness in the post, shooting ability, and big enough guards to present serious problems, just rewatch our last game with them(only team to match up with us one-on-one).

Thomas_Sutpen
02-28-2010, 08:04 AM
True, but at least it will be their 3rd game in 3 days if we have to play them.

rijman
02-28-2010, 09:08 AM
LMU appears to be the dark-horse heading into the Tourney. The quarter final game between USF and LMU should be a good one. The winner will advance to play #1 GU and both of these teams have beaten us this year. Ironic.

That does add some interest to the tourney. In recent years I haven't been as concerned with the Zags semi final matchup, but this season they could face a team they lost to in conference and if they win they will likely face a team in the finals they swept in conference.

LMU and USF have enough talent that they can be dangerous in games where they play well and they play well against the Zags.

Reborn
02-28-2010, 07:21 PM
I'm pickin the Dons over LMU. I think they're more experienced, and are better all around. I think they play better D. And they beat LMU both times. I was not all that impressed with their game last night against St Mary's. Samhan scored at will. There was no defense in that game. Gonzaga will handle LMU and San Francisco in the ternament, but it will be at tough game with either.

zagsfanforlife
02-28-2010, 09:26 PM
I'm pickin the Dons over LMU. I think they're more experienced, and are better all around. I think they play better D. And they beat LMU both times. I was not all that impressed with their game last night against St Mary's. Samhan scored at will. There was no defense in that game. Gonzaga will handle LMU and San Francisco in the ternament, but it will be at tough game with either.

Totally disagree. Both times USF beat LMU, LMU was missing at least 2 of their top 7 players. Last night I am not sure what game you were watching because LMU was up at halftime, were within two points all game until a once in a year shot goes down by MCConnel where the throws up an off balance three at the end of the shot clock from 35 feet out that banks in. This put them up 5, and the Lions never could quite get back in it. They were getting screwed all game by the refs who were giving the Gael's some home cooking. LMU has the offensive talent to hang with the Zags or any other team in the tournament. I say they beat USF in a close game then give the Zags all they can handle in the semi's. They will be getting worn down from two games already played, but they will give the Zags all they can handle. The Lions are on a roll now and are playing with a ton of confidence

billyberu
02-28-2010, 10:38 PM
The winner will advance to play #1 GU and both of these teams have beaten us this year. Ironic.

Considering the Zags will face either one of these teams in the opening round......

If LMU or USF make it past SMC, then and only then would we play them....not in second round

I don't see either LMU or USF in SMC's bracket. Not sure where you're coming from.

Zagalicious
03-01-2010, 08:50 AM
You're right billyberu, I thought I opened the 2010 link but it was the 2009. That's what I get for trying find link on my cell phn. Thanks!

d2zag
03-01-2010, 10:34 AM
I honestly believe that if all the rest of the teams in the WCC played against other teams the way they played against the Zags, there would be 3 teams from the WCC in the Tournament.

U Zig, I Zag
03-01-2010, 11:41 AM
I honestly believe that if all the rest of the teams in the WCC played against other teams the way they played against the Zags, there would be 3 teams from the WCC in the Tournament.

+1

I have caught a number of non-GU WCC games (Comcast Sports Net and ESPN2/U) and the fan support and attendance is dismal. Even in 'big' games. Was it SMC@UP? Can't remember - but there were a bunch of empty seats.

lothar98zag
03-01-2010, 11:50 AM
LMU-USF could be the game of the tourney.

Xin Loi 67
03-01-2010, 01:34 PM
I could care less who we play, the tougher the better. We have the best coach, the best player and the best team. They are salty and will be ready to do battle.

Bring it!