PDA

View Full Version : Time to press the Reset Button again

BobZag
02-27-2010, 06:47 PM
That same ol' general malaise has set in once again with this team. *sigh*

That said, the fellas won and secured a tenth straight WCC Championship, a feat only achieved by UCLA, UNLV and UConn many years ago.

Kudos to the Zags. You can do better, though, and you know it. Show how in Vegas. Beat Bakersfield first, however.

:)

stevet75
02-27-2010, 06:49 PM
If they play the way they do, sometimes, Bakersfield could be a contest.

El Voce
02-27-2010, 07:28 PM
Bob - I tend to agree with you. But, here's another way to look at it: None of our "Big Three" was particularly effective tonight, but we were still able to pull out a gritty win over a confident team. It was Team Canada that won it for us tonight -- all four of them.

john montana
02-27-2010, 07:32 PM
I don't remember the last time I saw sg get abused off the dribble like that. Their guards absolutely went anywhere they wanted all game long. I usually hate zone d but I think we should have used a lot more of it. They hit one three against our zone toward the end of the game but they dribbled around our man d everytime down the court.

Congrats to the team! Big accomplishment to win ten straight titles!

CaZagAlum
02-27-2010, 07:46 PM
It was Team Canada that won it for us tonight -- all four of them.

http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac329/CaZagAlum/flag.jpg

ZagNative
02-27-2010, 07:46 PM
Bob - I tend to agree with you. But, here's another way to look at it: None of our "Big Three" was particularly effective tonight, but we were still able to pull out a gritty win over a confident team. It was Team Canada that won it for us tonight -- all four of them.I love this!

Kiddwell
02-27-2010, 07:59 PM
Bob - I tend to agree with you. But, here's another way to look at it: None of our "Big Three" was particularly effective tonight, but we were still able to pull out a gritty win over a confident team. It was Team Canada that won it for us tonight -- all four of them.

+1

Nice contribution by the youngsters. A bit surprised by the score tonight, but happy with the 10th consecutive championship. Add to that Mark Few's nation-leading winning percentage--well, all in all, a pretty neat season.

And the craziest, most nail-biting time of all is just a wee bit off, starting with the WCC Tourney. Good to be a Zags fan. :)

:]

ZagNative
02-27-2010, 08:13 PM
CaZagAlum, that is so great!

CaZagAlum
02-27-2010, 08:20 PM
CaZagAlum, that is so great!

thanks. that's the extent of my mad skills.

ID ZAGFAN
02-27-2010, 08:22 PM
http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac329/CaZagAlum/flag.jpg

CaZagAlum:
:allhail:

ID ZAGFAN

ZagNative
02-27-2010, 08:32 PM
[/RIGHT]um;543421]thanks. that's the extent of my mad skills.Okay, now you've gone and done it. That's my Desk top as of tonight.

We just need to make make it an uneven five and add Pangos to that rogues' gallery. That, however, will call for a major overhaul to fit another player in that symmetrical layout.

Go Canada!

P.S. One more night with Matty in the MAC, tonight MB's last chance to cut down the net on the home court ... We've been so blessed.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_UkLNCxT74w4/S4oDEckd3pI/AAAAAAAAMWo/SNToqpjoSto/2010-02-27%20Bouldin%20USF-1.jpg

roxdoc
02-27-2010, 08:58 PM
Further to our great Canadian players - at half-time 3 Canadians, off the bench, (Arop, Kong, & Olynyk) had scored 16 of our 35 points. I may have missed something but to my best observation in the second half Kong didn't shoot, Manny had a 3 - maybe his only shot, and I don't remember Kelly shooting. (If you count Sacre they had 20 of our 35!)

SWZag
02-27-2010, 10:06 PM
If they play the way they do, sometimes, Bakersfield could be a contest.

Watched CSU-Bakersfield play tonight at the Key against Seattle U. (Seattle won and Garcia played just 23 minutes). I do not think it will be much of a challenge at all, even if we're off. They have very little size and their guards, especially #24 Carter (arguably their top player, athletic, and only a frosh), plays most of the time out of control and a lot of one-man basketball. CSUB had 27 turnovers

I was a little impressed with Trent Blakely, #12, even tho he struggled shooting.

Should be a game just to keep the rust from building, IMO. Sacre should have a feast down low.

SWZag

MickMick
02-27-2010, 10:28 PM
I have no problem with the outcome. Once the Zags gained the lead, they led throughout.

I'm in the camp that USF was coached with great strategy, they played with passion, and they gave their best shot.

Rather than saying the Zags looked dismal, I will say that USF played very well. We certainly can't diminish the effort that the Dons displayed. They had much to play for and they played like it. It was a great game to get ready for post season.

2wiceright
02-27-2010, 10:47 PM
I have no problem with the outcome. Once the Zags gained the lead, they led throughout.

I'm in the camp that USF was coached with great strategy, they played with passion, and they gave their best shot.

Rather than saying the Zags looked dismal, I will say that USF played very well. We certainly can't diminish the effort that the Dons displayed. They had much to play for and they played like it. It was a great game to get ready for post season.

+1 Totally agree with your conclusion MickMick.

sullyzag66
02-27-2010, 10:54 PM

And they'll need to be ready. Barring an unlikely resurgence of the Waves, Zags will meet one of the two teams that beat them in Conference a week from Sunday in Vegas. LMU played very well in a loss at Moraga tonight.

seasontixholder
02-28-2010, 03:06 AM
Bob - I tend to agree with you. But, here's another way to look at it: None of our "Big Three" was particularly effective tonight, but we were still able to pull out a gritty win over a confident team.

Our two main upperclassmen just did not have any gas left in the tank. The regular season lasted one game too long and their minutes caught up with them. A rest will cure most if not all of the issues with them.

Birddog
02-28-2010, 04:07 AM

Totally agree, and they did it twice, winning once. Walters can coach a little.

jaydee77
02-28-2010, 06:03 AM
If Matt has a decent shooting night we win by 12+. Teams are pounding him. It seems every time he touches the ball someone is grabbing, bumping, ect. Watching last nights game, he was guarding Lowhorn and they were beating the heck out of each other underneath the basket. This takes a toll. I am not surprised given the minutes he has played that he may be leaking a little oil. Give him this week to get ready for Vegas and we will roll.

Reborn
02-28-2010, 06:23 AM

I agree totally, Mick Mick
I watched the game over and they ARE good. I am glad the WCC is getting tougher. It will only make us tougher. And it's about time. And LUM is good too. We will have a lot of competition in the tournament. It feels good to know we are going to have a very rough time. And that's how it should be. Thats how we get better.

bigblahla
02-28-2010, 06:25 AM

+1

The Dons had a lot to play for, a chance to sweep the Zags in conference and a lock on the 4th seed which they got with the LMU loss at SMC.

Go!! Zags!!!

rijman
02-28-2010, 06:43 AM

I also agree.

Having not watched USF all year except the 2 games against the Zags I find it hard to believe USF was 7-7 in conf and 12-17 overall. They look like a much better team than that. Their schedule shows they lost to every decent team they played this season, including losses in both games vs. St. Mary's and Portland, except the one win against the Zags. USF got the 4th seed in the WCC tourney and I think they will be as tough an opponent as St. Mary's and Portland.

cjm720
02-28-2010, 07:09 AM
SF never let up on defense and that kept them in the game. Lots of mystery foul calls too!

bballbeachbum
02-28-2010, 07:18 AM

+1, and what seasontixholder and Birddog said

Wish I was going to be in Vegas!!!

ZagNative
02-28-2010, 08:05 AM
Sacre agrees about the Dons, in Meehan's Day-After post (http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2010/feb/28/day-after-san-francisco/):

Sacre on the Dons: “Personally, I think they should be in the (NCAA) tournament. Maybe it’s just us they play really well against, but in my eyes they’re a great team. They compete and battle really hard. I know we’ll probably see them in the conference tournament.”This caught my attention in that post as well:
—At several junctures in the second half, it looked like Gonzaga was poised to open up a big lead, but the Dons refused to go away. Gonzaga’s lead was often between 7-10 points in the second half, but USF, with Lowhorn doing limited damage, found other scoring from Diarra, Bryant, Vaughn and Caloiaro.

“I just felt like if we make them guard for more than 10 seconds, every team is always good (defending) for the first 10 seconds. The next 10 they’re not as good and the final 15 you have a chance to make plays,” Walters said of USF staying on Gonzaga’s heels in the second half. “We have to get multiple paint touches. When we broke down I thought we were settling for some quick ones. You can’t do that against Gonzaga, or any team.”

TexasZagFan
02-28-2010, 08:55 AM
If Matt has a decent shooting night we win by 12+. Teams are pounding him. It seems every time he touches the ball someone is grabbing, bumping, ect. Watching last nights game, he was guarding Lowhorn and they were beating the heck out of each other underneath the basket. This takes a toll. I am not surprised given the minutes he has played that he may be leaking a little oil. Give him this week to get ready for Vegas and we will roll.

+1

I've been noticing that opponents have been getting very chippy with Matt, and the refs are letting them get away with it.

BTW and O/T, where was Foster last night?

RenoZag
02-28-2010, 09:09 AM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4020/4394972639_b6ba95763a_o.jpg

BobZag
02-28-2010, 09:25 AM
Game #3 will be a good one to watch.

ZagNative
02-28-2010, 09:27 AM
Thanks, Reno!

jbslicer
02-28-2010, 09:28 AM
The first game on Saturday night looks like a good one. Portland should have a cakewalk in the second game. Probably won't stick around to watch that one.

U Zig, I Zag
02-28-2010, 10:05 AM
That same ol' general malaise has set in once again with this team. *sigh*

That said, the fellas won and secured a tenth straight WCC Championship, a feat only achieved by UCLA, UNLV and UConn many years ago.

Kudos to the Zags. You can do better, though, and you know it. Show how in Vegas. Beat Bakersfield first, however.

:)

+1

Amazing feat, getting the WCC conference title outright - AGAIN. It's awesome.

On the plus side, this team can play better against lesser opponents. They have proved it several times this year and they need to do it again next weekend. USF is tough, LMU is tough - but GU should be able to dismantle these guys. We have the talent and the coaching, so lets get at it.

Xin Loi 67
02-28-2010, 10:32 AM
Clear to see in Matt last night. I don't think I have seen him that demonstrative before. IMO, none to soon. Yes he's banged up but the spirit shown in his game last night was worthy of praise. It looked more like the WWF than the WCC under the basket last night. Matt and Lowhand had a battle last night. Matt's shooting will return right now his right hand has been reinjured and it's an obstacle.

zagtastic_voyage
02-28-2010, 11:13 AM
Matt was definitely frustrated last night. He called for the ball a few times last night and Meech didn't pass it to him. I could see him shaking his head and yelling, especially in the first half. We were playing like crap and Matt had more open opportunities and situations in which he felt he should have gotten the ball. Lowhorn and some other USF players were riding him the entire game. I feel his stats reflected the defense (and at times chippy defense) that USF brought last night.

He wasn't getting the ball when he was open and had to resort to taking shots when he was guarded, which isn't very easy to do considering he was getting banged up all game.

The positive thing is that we shot well from the free throw line. Have you noticed more often than not we shoot well from the free throw line when we lose/in close games, but we shoot horrible when it's a win by double digits?

USF home: 18-22 81.8% (W 75-69)
Santa Clara home: 13-26 50% (W 88-51)
LMU away: 18-21 85.7% (L 66-74)
SMC home: 12-18 66.7% (W 80-61)
USF away: 22-33 66.7% (L 77-71)
OKLA *neutral*: 14-17 (W 83-69)
MSU away: 17-21 (L 71-75)

Now I know if you look at every box score there are some games that don't fit this trend. However, this is very surprising to me. Do you guys think that this is something to worry about? Or am I reading too much into this? :D

MDABE80
02-28-2010, 04:52 PM
Im in the minority on this. Our guys look like they're just underwhelmed by playing the WCC teams this past few weeks. Not interested and distracted and sorta listless. OOC games ( short of Duke) were hard fought games and the kids rose to every occasion. And maybe that's the key.......WCC teams are just going at us like it's their last game of the season. They play tough...and they play focused and hard.

I wonder if we'll be ready for the WCC tournament. If we aren't , I know this will be a big disappointment. If they win and win big, it'll be a very good thing and point to a good performance in the NCAA. GU should be winning by 10-20 pts with it's ability this year. Doesn't matter that the kids are better than we thought at the beginning of the season. They are....and that's all we need to know.

Bad rebounding when size favors the Zags and terrible FT shooting apart from last night. It's a matter of practice and focus. Who wants the ball and wants it most? Well...if you want it.....you have to go get it. Chase it down and get some floor burns if you want it.

It's like these guys expect to win and when the WCC teams step up and challenge, our guy just don't care enough to elbow someone to go find a rebound. FG shooting is consistent. FT's shooting isn't. Rebounding is plain awful. Defense is better this year. SO where's the desire to go win by 20? Where's the desire to impose the will of a superior team on another. Haven't seen it in conference. Just plain unmotivated boredom. When we win, half the time we win ugly....which isn't to be expected from a high end ranked team. But put these kids in with a BCS team and it's suddenly motivated and tough as nails. Illiniois was a win but a huge com fro behind effort was needed when that shouldn't have been the case.

What to do? Dunno.. Few should dnow. Hope he does. We need to put a buzzer to buzzer game or two together. Seems like other teams have improved but our kids have gone the wrong direction. Now some of you will be critical of my opinions. I don't care. The data is on my side....and when all else fails.....go with the data. We just don't look like the surprising team we bagan the season with. Somebody has to ban these kids from reading their newspapers.

seasontixholder
02-28-2010, 05:51 PM
Good post, MDABE80. GU went into last night's game a little blase, and the defensive effort wasn't there much of the time. (There wasn't nearly the energy in the building that there was on Thursday night, fans included. ) When it got down to the last key possession, however, everyone upped his attention and exertion level, and stayed in front of the ball handler. They can do it when they really need to.

USF had two guys who could really penetrate. When Goodson was in, it invariably was the other guard who drove the paint, even beating Steven repeatedly. (not that Steven suddenly lost his ability, only that he seemed fatigued and less motivated somewhat) It sort of neutralized our usual edge with Meech dogging the point. In addition, DG's poor outing against USF's zone made him addtionally expendable. But he was inserted for the last key defensive play and locked down the ball cold.

Again, they can do what's necessary when it's time to ratchet things up.

JPtheBeasta
02-28-2010, 06:16 PM
+1

BTW and O/T, where was Foster last night?

He got called for 3 sec in the key twice in about three possesions. That was, I think, the last we saw of him.
I've noticed that when he is in the game teams are posting him up and taking it right to him with success (3 possesions in a row on Thursay and Wil's first possession on D on Saturday, I believe). Its kind of counter-intuitive to try to expoit a 7'5" guy, but there seems to be a bit of that in the game plan of late.

More on topic, I think the guys played pretty well. We didn't knock down shots we normally do and had turnovers in some key moments that let SF back in it. We were able to turn up the defensive pressure when it was needed, though. There were some inexplicable calls that took away some momentum as well. That was a big 3-pointer by Arop at the end when we really needed it, btw.

Zag79
03-01-2010, 02:00 AM
Im in the minority on this. Our guys look like they're just underwhelmed by playing the WCC teams this past few weeks. Not interested and distracted and sorta listless. OOC games ( short of Duke) were hard fought games and the kids rose to every occasion. And maybe that's the key.......WCC teams are just going at us like it's their last game of the season. They play tough...and they play focused and hard.

agreed. i was waiting for that knock out punch and it never came. hope the light switch method works in march, so far this team turns it on and off too much if you ask me. i see the talent and actually predict an elite 8 run come march madness, but i wouldnt be shocked to see a first round exit either. focus, intensity, and the want will take this team far.

If Matt has a decent shooting night we win by 12+.

hit the nail on the head here...