PDA

View Full Version : Tony Smith

RockandRollJames
02-27-2010, 06:21 PM
He was all smiles during Zombie Nation and player introductions. He was constantly looking at the student section and seemed to enjoy the exciting plays. But for the most part of gameplay, he looked all business. Left the game essentially at the buzzer and wasn't there for the net-cutting.

BroncoZAG615
02-27-2010, 07:17 PM
He was all smiles during Zombie Nation and player introductions. He was constantly looking at the student section and seemed to enjoy the exciting plays. But for the most part of gameplay, he looked all business. Left the game essentially at the buzzer and wasn't there for the net-cutting.

Thanks for the report. I'm sure Tony noticed that there is room for him to impact next season. Maybe that was Few's goal with this one... ;)

fedwayzag
02-27-2010, 09:23 PM
Who is Tony Smith?

RockandRollJames
02-27-2010, 09:34 PM
Who is Tony Smith?

A JUCO recruit who was at the game tonight on a visit.

fedwayzag
02-27-2010, 09:54 PM
Thanks

adoptedzag
02-27-2010, 10:34 PM
I saw some pretty tall kids at the game, do we have a picture?

BMAN
03-04-2010, 08:27 AM
Rivals.com - JUCO Combo Guard Getting Top Looks
Former Seward Community College guard Tony Smith was on campus for the USF game. Smith recently left his juco team on a mutual agreement but is still getting plenty of recruiting interest. He reports an offer from Gonzaga but this article is pretty slanted towards Western Kentucky:
--------------------------
"I've been pretty much wide open from the beginning and still am," Smith said. "I still don't know how this thing's gonna play out. Western Kentucky is definitely gonna be a spot, where push comes to shove, they're up there. I already know a player out there and he pretty much tells me the ins and outs of it, how they play. It fits my style of game well, where I can come in and help the team."
--------------------------
Take the article for what it is worth. The 2010 cycle has been impossible to figure out so I guess we'll just see what happens. My best guess after reading this is that Tony won't wind up at GU but I have been consistently wrong this year in recruiting!

Colbyspapa
03-04-2010, 09:12 AM
I am sure he is a good player, but we have Gray 1 year left, Kong, 2 years left, Arop 3 years left, Meech 2 years left, GJ 3 years left, Gibbs 3 years left, Stockton 4 years left, Draginis 4 years, recruiting Bell hard and have a couple of back ups.

Why would we want to bring in Tony? I have nothing against him, but he would only have 2 years remaining. He is 6'4" 185lbs shooting guard rated by scout as a 1 star player. He appeared to be having a great season, 15pts, 7 assists, but left his team (MUTUALLY???) That seems strange unless he was trying to save a semester of eligibility. Of course there could be many reasons that have no sinister meaning, but he states he could not handle the school work in high school so I really hope that isn't the case now.

With what we have coming in, I just don't see a huge upside to having him take up a scholarship unless he is a world beater which it doesn't appear he is.

Am I way wrong on this kid or our need? I hope GJ doesn't transfer and I believe GG will be a great player at GU. He is almost 6'6" now and a point guard.

Steven is going to play 28-32 minutes a game next year. Meech, Arop, Kong, Gibbs and GJ will get PT in that order. Draginis will probably play a bit too depending on his RS decision.

Tell the staff to find a power forward or a center!

CanadianZagFan
03-04-2010, 09:54 AM
Seems like there is really not any room for him on this roster....would you sacrifice minutes for Arop and company to get this guy some burn?

Pleasant Peninsula
03-04-2010, 10:04 AM
Draginis will probably play a bit too depending on his RS decision.

Dranginis is a junior in high school and won't be getting any minutes until 2011/12, at the earliest.

thespywhozaggedme
03-04-2010, 10:43 AM
I am sure he is a good player, but we have Gray 1 year left, Kong, 2 years left, Arop 3 years left, Meech 2 years left, GJ 3 years left, Gibbs 3 years left, Stockton 4 years left, Draginis 4 years, recruiting Bell hard and have a couple of back ups.

Why would we want to bring in Tony? I have nothing against him, but he would only have 2 years remaining. He is 6'4" 185lbs shooting guard rated by scout as a 1 star player. He appeared to be having a great season, 15pts, 7 assists, but left his team (MUTUALLY???) That seems strange unless he was trying to save a semester of eligibility. Of course there could be many reasons that have no sinister meaning, but he states he could not handle the school work in high school so I really hope that isn't the case now.

With what we have coming in, I just don't see a huge upside to having him take up a scholarship unless he is a world beater which it doesn't appear he is.

Am I way wrong on this kid or our need? I hope GJ doesn't transfer and I believe GG will be a great player at GU. He is almost 6'6" now and a point guard.

Steven is going to play 28-32 minutes a game next year. Meech, Arop, Kong, Gibbs and GJ will get PT in that order. Draginis will probably play a bit too depending on his RS decision.

Tell the staff to find a power forward or a center!

Bol is an sf and Manny is a sg/sf.

hooter73
03-04-2010, 11:46 AM
I still see Bol as a forward too. Him and Kelly have the forward covered for the next two years nomatter what Harris does. Rob and Sam have Center for a while but I still would say 2 or so more bigs would be welcome.

as far as shooting guards go, I say load em up. It defeats the purpose of consistant playing time developing a player but with how on again off agian our guards are I dont think many would mind having some more options to fall back to.

WallaWallaZag
03-04-2010, 11:57 AM
i don't understand why people can't understand this...it's clear the staff has decided they need a combo guard that can play the point and also score for next year. meech's continued inability to score has hurt us this year, and matt has had to take on too much of a pg role too often...he's worn down and it's pretty obvious the last five games.

yes, we will have meech, gj, and gg back next year who can all potentially play the point, but none of them have shown the ability to be a pg for team capable of making the final four. any one of them could make a big jump next year but it's not something you can count on, and obviously mark few is hedging his bets. what if meech still can't shoot next year and gj is still out of control and grant still has defensive issues? steven gray is a pure two...he's not matt bouldin. steven already is our designated shooter/scorer and defensive stopper...he can't also be our pg.

23dpg
03-04-2010, 12:06 PM
He is 6'4" 185lbs shooting guard rated by scout as a 1 star player.

One star just means that they haven't scouted him enough to be rated. It is not an indication of someone who is less than a 3 star player, per se.

a13coach
03-04-2010, 12:13 PM
I still see Bol as a forward too. Him and Kelly have the forward covered for the next two years nomatter what Harris does. Rob and Sam have Center for a while but I still would say 2 or so more bigs would be welcome.

as far as shooting guards go, I say load em up. It defeats the purpose of consistant playing time developing a player but with how on again off agian our guards are I dont think many would mind having some more options to fall back to.

I would bet that next season we will see Rob @ the 5, Kelly or Sam @ the 4, Elias @ the 3, Steven @ 2, and Meech @ the 1 as starters. Rotate in Sam/Kelly, Manny, Bol, around the 5-3.

RockandRollJames
03-04-2010, 12:39 PM
I would bet that next season we will see Rob @ the 5, Kelly or Sam @ the 4, Elias @ the 3, Steven @ 2, and Meech @ the 1 as starters. Rotate in Sam/Kelly, Manny, Bol, around the 5-3.

To be honest I have never even considered this scenario for next year. It's interesting though. Just never thought of Elias at anywhere other than the 4. I'd still assume its going to be Manny/Bol at the 3, but you may know something I don't.

541zaggin
03-04-2010, 02:03 PM
i would rather see kelly on the wing as opposed to elias.

kelly played the wing in high school and elias is much more developed in the post. kelly could play down in the post occasionally but with rob, sam and elias i think that we will be set for next season.

cjm720
03-04-2010, 02:41 PM
i don't understand why people can't understand this...it's clear the staff has decided they need a combo guard that can play the point and also score for next year. meech's continued inability to score has hurt us this year, and matt has had to take on too much of a pg role too often...he's worn down and it's pretty obvious the last five games.

yes, we will have meech, gj, and gg back next year who can all potentially play the point, but none of them have shown the ability to be a pg for team capable of making the final four. any one of them could make a big jump next year but it's not something you can count on, and obviously mark few is hedging his bets. what if meech still can't shoot next year and gj is still out of control and grant still has defensive issues? steven gray is a pure two...he's not matt bouldin. steven already is our designated shooter/scorer and defensive stopper...he can't also be our pg.

You're putting a lot of blame on Meech here....don't quite agree. Meech was not recruited as a scorer, he was recruited as a true pg and defensive stopper. GG defensive issues have been well documented. GJ is night and day a different player than we saw at the beginning of the year.

I can disagree all day with what Few's after but he is the winningest active coach in the nation and it's obvious he's not satisified with our backcourt. I'd still rather roll with what we have rather than battle W. Kentucky/others for a recruit that will take away from the development of our youngins.

Ziggy
03-04-2010, 03:49 PM
WE need clips of this guy soon so that WE can make OUR decision. :)

JPtheBeasta
03-04-2010, 04:58 PM

I dont get it...

Seriously, if he's good enough to dethrone the encumbants then that bodes well for him and the Zags. I thought initially that GJ was already one too many, with all of the accolades that Gibbs was getting as Matt's heir apparent, but now think he could get decent minutes next year. I actually believe Meech can improve his playmaking if asked to do more next year, but he hasn't shown the knack that Matt did in this stage of his career. Grant appears to be a good shooter and smart, but has flaked out a few times too many on D for a guy as smart as he is. Things could really be wide open next year- I'm always a fan of filling the job from within the company, but if this kid is heads-and-shoulder better then I'm not likely to care for too long.

ZagAddict
03-04-2010, 06:58 PM
The pickings are getting REALLY slim for 2010 recruits... this has been a very confusing recruiting year. I sure hope 2011 falls in place like we all think it can.

WallaWallaZag
03-04-2010, 10:37 PM
just my opinion, but i think the staff may have passed on a 2010 player altogether if it wasn't for the fact that andy transferred and opened up another scholly...that and possibly a lack of development from the incumbents...wouldn't be shocked if the staff still passed on 2010.

U Zig, I Zag
03-05-2010, 07:18 AM
Is there really anyone that is a sure thing for 2010? We are pretty loaded at most spots (could we have better players at some spots? of course) and it would be a PT nightmare.

I would think that an athletic/slasher type scorer, a JUCO, would fit - maybe someone without a ton of expectations and would be grateful for the step up to D1. He could come in on relief throughout next year and get some confidence. His senior year he could provide the off the bench spark that Manny will be giving up (at this point Manny is the star and starts every game).

Someone who has improved their grades, maybe was a 3,4 star in HS but the grades wouldn't cut it - his JUCO years fixed that, got some maturity.

Tony Smith sounds like maybe that guy? I would prefer someone Bol's dimensions but that was quicker and more balls-out going to the rim. Bol is a shooter, this guy wouldn't have to be - just really athletic and be able to finish at the rim and have quick hops for put backs and boards.

http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=27214

americasteam
03-05-2010, 09:30 AM
Don't all D1 teams have the same amount of scholarships? Do "just below elite" teams leave several scholarships open any given year or do they fill with whatever they can get so they can have the best chance of winning in any given year? ie great starters AND great depth? (I know the elite teams all deal with the potential of 'one and done' players, thus they have a different issue to have to deal with yearly)

Why would we leave 3 open on purpose? I understand wanting to be able to get more players next year, if you're only losing one senior, Gray (thus only opening up 1 scholarship spot). Plus, maybe the staff is trying to even out the veterans and the youngins'

I don't love the 6 recruits in a year, because then you have a very young team, but I guess in 2 to 3 years you'd have a very veteran team. I would rather bring in 3 kids every year and lose 3 kids every year, and maybe in a great recruiting year get an extra player if he falls in our lap.

I know, all easier said than done!

Colbyspapa
03-05-2010, 09:45 AM
Bol is an sf and Manny is a sg/sf.

GU basketball is pretty interchangable as I am sure you know. At any given point next year we will have Steven playing point with Bol and Arop in the game at the same time. Mark has used PG, SG and SF in all three positions. Tell me.... What position does Matt Bouldin play????

Most games he starts at the SF position, or is that Steven... what happens when Meech goes to the bench and they bring in Kelly?

Therefore the players I listed will all share the same 120 minutes per game.

Edited - except for Draginis, which I mistakenly inferred that he was coming next year.

WMS2GUBULLDOG
03-05-2010, 11:59 AM
Clearly we need another pg for next year. I don't anyone thinks meech is close to being a 30-35 mpg player. Where does all of Matt's minutes go? Mangisto is coming back, but needs a handle. GG isn't really close. Tony Smith was offered in high school by UNC, except he had grade issues. This kid has talent, though I would prefer he is a better shooter.

U Zig, I Zag
03-05-2010, 12:23 PM
Clearly we need another pg for next year. I don't anyone thinks meech is close to being a 30-35 mpg player. Where does all of Matt's minutes go? Mangisto is coming back, but needs a handle. GG isn't really close. Tony Smith was offered in high school by UNC, except he had grade issues. This kid has talent, though I would prefer he is a better shooter.

GJ leavin' on a midnight train?

I like Meech, I was hard on him early like a lot of people were but he has come into his own lately. Fact of the matter though is we need Handles AND a total threat to score outside or driving. GJ is quick, has the handles, can shoot it, finish at the rim - I think he plays as much or more as Meech by the end of next year.

WMS2GUBULLDOG
03-05-2010, 12:27 PM
GJ is awesome! I love what he brings to the table in terms of his ability to draw fouls, his incredible defense, and his athleticism. I have heard that he is the fastest and most athletic guys on the team, but I just don't think Few likes him that much. Look Meech has been playing well, but GJ is going to be a better basketball player, I just don't know if Few sees it that way, thats why I left him out, but I definitely agree with you.

U Zig, I Zag
03-05-2010, 12:37 PM
I think Few had his hand forced a bit this year. Matt is leaving and I think Few went ahead and gave the PT to the guy that had played the year before. He is grooming Meech and Meech needs to be ready to lead this team next year. In reality it really only leaves GJ his Senior year to own the point if Few carries on with his method of spreading out PT.

GU has rolled with 2 PG's before though, not always sharing the court (that would be a nice full court press duo) but Few manages to keep the happy/around.

I have a sinking feeling that Few and Co wanted GJ to RS this year and GJ thought he could play his way into more minutes.

hooter73
03-05-2010, 01:57 PM
from what I overhear, the last post is hitting pretty close to home. He didnt want to RS, can play but has an attitude. We're loaded on point guards with not enough shooting guards.

WallaWallaZag
03-05-2010, 02:05 PM
GU basketball is pretty interchangable as I am sure you know. At any given point next year we will have Steven playing point with Bol and Arop in the game at the same time. Mark has used PG, SG and SF in all three positions. Tell me.... What position does Matt Bouldin play????

Most games he starts at the SF position, or is that Steven... what happens when Meech goes to the bench and they bring in Kelly?

Therefore the players I listed will all share the same 120 minutes per game.

Edited - except for Draginis, which I mistakenly inferred that he was coming next year.

sorry, don't agree with you at all...yes, guards and wings are fairly interchangeable here, but not the point. meech can clearly only play the point, so when he is in, he's the point. when he's out then matt is the point. no one else has really played point for us...maybe steven for a few minutes the entire year, but i seriously doubt he will take on more of a pg role next year though i guess you can make an argument, but i'm absolutely certain manny and kong won't.