PDA

View Full Version : GUnit of the Game - USF - 2.27.10

RenoZag
02-27-2010, 06:00 PM
The Dons gave Gonzaga one helluva fight tonight. Zags' free throw shooting was part of the reason they won; bench minutes and contributions were also notable.

Who's your Gunit of the game, Zag fans ?

FuManShoes
02-27-2010, 06:02 PM
Going with Big Rob! He really stepped up his intensity, had some huge defensive plays, great hustle and mostly made USF pay down low. Nice work!

Harris had some big plays, but Rob turned in a complete game.

Name MIN FGM-A 3PM-A FTM-A OREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF PTS
Robert Sacre, C 0 4-7 0-0 5-7 1 5 0 2 4 2 4 13
Elias Harris, F 0 5-8 1-2 6-7 0 0 0 0 1 1 3 17

whatazag
02-27-2010, 06:03 PM
I would go with the bench, but since that is not an option, I will go Harris.

rawkmandale
02-27-2010, 06:04 PM
Voted Sacre, but Arop should be on the list (would still go Sacre).

Birddog
02-27-2010, 06:06 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Qf4G0idTU98/Scmy2nwoxXI/AAAAAAAAAKU/e0G3px1fjmY/s320/Fleur+de+lis.png

rawkmandale
02-27-2010, 06:07 PM
Thanks for adding Arop and Olynyk - good games by the youngsters.

MedZag
02-27-2010, 06:10 PM
Bobby played tough, even through his token foul trouble. For the whole game, he's my MVP.

First 10 minutes... it was Manny.
Second 10 minutes... it was KO.
Second half it was Bobby.

MedZag
02-27-2010, 06:13 PM
I thought Arop turned the slumping Zags around early in the game with his blocks and rebounds.

Agreed. Few sat him right before we made our run to take the lead, but no way we're in position to do that without his play. He's the only one who seemed ready to match USF's intensity from the tip.

MickMick
02-27-2010, 06:14 PM
Rob was a beast. He has my vote.

Matt has really struggled against USF this year. Nice to see Arop and Kong pick up some of that scoring slack.

USF strategy was good.

They would rather have Sacre and Harris score from the free throw line than beneath the rim. Every inside shot by the Zag bigs was challenged in a physical nature. This style was beyond what Will could handle and even KO's inside scoring was rendered ineffective with it.

Offensively, USF attacked the rim relentlessly. Putting the Zags in foul trouble, and finding easy dishes when the secondary defensive help arrived.

If Rob had not come up big, the Zags would have definitely lost this game. He matched the physicality on both ends, made some clutch free throws, and his blocks/presence were crucial in mitigating the USF attacking style.

Huge, huge game by Rob.

RenoZag
02-27-2010, 06:16 PM

Glad to. There are times when I wonder if we shouldn't go back to the Gunit thread version without a poll. . .just ask the opening query and let all weigh in.

dim4sum
02-27-2010, 06:37 PM
at the expense of sounding like a broken record, it is clear that if the Zags are to win the grinders, Meech has to sit. Notice that the Zags got their largest first half lead, 9 points with Bol Kong in there instead of Goodson.
After Goodson reentered the game and Kong sat, the lead quickly evaporated.Goodson is completely clueless in the forecourt. He is too timid to let it fly and when I last looked he had zero assists. The O completely stagnated with him in there. He's one of the reasons for the lackluster effort. The second is the slowness to the ball on the offensive boards. USF doubled up on the Zags on that count, 10-5.
Meech has to sit more to allow Kong and Arop more playing time for a deep run in the Madness.
My players of the game are the collective of Arop-Kong-Olynik.....21 big points to counter Meech's disappearing act.

jim77
02-27-2010, 06:46 PM

The 2 youngsters played well....but big Rob (my G-unit)was tough in there tonight. The Dons played tough tonight and I don't want to see them again.

DoggieDogpound
02-27-2010, 07:08 PM
Rob was a beast. He has my vote.

Matt has really struggled against USF this year. Nice to see Arop and Kong pick up some of that scoring slack.

USF strategy was good.

They would rather have Sacre and Harris score from the free throw line than beneath the rim. Every inside shot by the Zag bigs was challenged in a physical nature. This style was beyond what Will could handle and even KO's inside scoring was rendered ineffective with it.

Offensively, USF attacked the rim relentlessly. Putting the Zags in foul trouble, and finding easy dishes when the secondary defensive help arrived.

If Rob had not come up big, the Zags would have definitely lost this game. He matched the physicality on both ends, made some clutch free throws, and his blocks/presence were crucial in mitigating the USF attacking style.

Huge, huge game by Rob.

Exactly the way I saw it. Sacre, with kudos to Arop, Kong and KO.

Rbo
02-27-2010, 08:48 PM
I've dissed Sacre from time to time, but he really stepped up big-time tonight and got my vote. Kudos to KO, Kong, and Arop too. And Matt said, 'What twisted ankle??' and played on!

2wiceright
02-27-2010, 09:00 PM
Sacre really earned it tonight. Harris comes in a close second.

roxdoc
02-27-2010, 09:02 PM
I voted for Sacre - a few less points then Harris, but much, much better defense.

FlagZag
02-27-2010, 09:18 PM
Sacre for sure but Meech ...oh my, zero points in 19 minutes and 1 assist. Hey, this was for the WCC Championship. We can't afford to have opposing teams play 5 on 4 because nobody guards Meech. If he's our point guard there's got to be some production. I'm just sayin....

Ziggy
02-27-2010, 10:05 PM
The Talls in the front court really did the work tonight. I give the nod to Big Rob but was really glad for EH's re-appearance. Also, kudos to the trio off the bench: Kelly, Bol and Manny!

FrosTbear
02-28-2010, 06:45 AM
The bench lead by the Big "A"

NotoriousZ
03-01-2010, 02:34 PM
Went here today to vote for Rob (finally got to finish watching the game on TIVO last night). I didn't expect this much support for Mr. Sacre, I thought the vote would have been spread out a bit more, but he deserved it. Good for him.

U Zig, I Zag
03-01-2010, 02:59 PM
Went here today to vote for Rob (finally got to finish watching the game on TIVO last night). I didn't expect this much support for Mr. Sacre, I thought the vote would have been spread out a bit more, but he deserved it. Good for him.

I think it was the blocks. They kept showing them on TV... repeatedly. :)

Rob played strong, I liked it.