PDA

View Full Version : Any idea on where Bouldin will go in the Draft?

ChampZag
02-26-2010, 06:09 PM
hey everybody I was just curious if anyone out there might have heard anything or is good on predicting draft potential. Any idea on what pick Matt might be or where he has a potential of playing? Any teams who have expressed interest? Or does anybody have a team in mind that they think he will be a good fit for? Or just any thoughts period on the matter....

FuManShoes
02-26-2010, 06:17 PM
Draftexpress.com doesn't think he gets drafted. NBAdraft.net says he goes at 49 to Toronto. I was waaaaay off on Heytvelt last year and have no idea what NBA execs are looking for other than gaudy hops and freakishly long arms. Matty has neither and thus he may be collecting Euros next year. I'd like to think he goes as a mid- to late- 2nd rounder to a team like Utah where he's got a coach that appreciates savvy over sexy. At the very least he will get looks at workouts and summer camps and he will have to show he can hang with elite athletes, something he has struggled with during his career at GU. It may not be fair, but Matt will have to prove more than the jumping jacks that often get the benefit of the doubt without having the resume to back it up.

Xin Loi 67
02-27-2010, 01:24 PM
early 2nd he is also excellent trade material. He will fit a niche somewhere in the league.

ChampZag
02-27-2010, 01:50 PM
Draftexpress.com doesn't think he gets drafted. NBAdraft.net says he goes at 49 to Toronto. I was waaaaay off on Heytvelt last year and have no idea what NBA execs are looking for other than gaudy hops and freakishly long arms. Matty has neither and thus he may be collecting Euros next year. I'd like to think he goes as a mid- to late- 2nd rounder to a team like Utah where he's got a coach that appreciates savvy over sexy. At the very least he will get looks at workouts and summer camps and he will have to show he can hang with elite athletes, something he has struggled with during his career at GU. It may not be fair, but Matt will have to prove more than the jumping jacks that often get the benefit of the doubt without having the resume to back it up.

I like it, I definitely agree with that, I think Jerry Sloan would love Bouldin.

MickMick
02-27-2010, 01:51 PM
I hope he gets a decent shot in the NBA. Who knows if he can stick or not, but I would really like to see him get a chance to prove himself.

This is a league that has missed on many players. Either drafting flops or passing up on good ones (real head scratchers). No one can really know for sure.

For example, I still can't quite figure out how DJ Augustine made it or how Casey Calvary didn't.

Matt is good enough to make a living at it somewhere in the world.

GonzagaLove
02-27-2010, 10:58 PM
Can you say Dan Dickau? Although, I hope for Steve Nash!

MedZag
02-28-2010, 05:09 AM
My gut tells me early 2nd round. But draft guys love numbers... shuttle run, vertical leap, etc which could really hurt his chances,

75Zag
02-28-2010, 10:03 AM
I am sitting here in my office watching Phoenix v San Antonio while waiting for USA hockey game to begin (and working of course).

Anyway, I am one who is a bit skepitcal of Matt's prospects in the NBA, as I fear / suspect that the NBA may have seen quite enough of kids coming out of the WCC who are offensive machines in college but are a step slow and don't play great defense. But then I see Steve Nash, who by anybody's standards is a great player. Nash seems faster to the ball than Matt B., but is that something that Matt B. can acquire with a bit more experience and work? Sure would like to see Matt B. succeed in the NBA, not just for himself but for the benefit of the GU program and the entire WCC.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

gamagin
02-28-2010, 11:17 AM
catches fire from now on and gets selected to a 1st or 2nd team all america team.

From there, it will more matter if he is the kind of pro one or more teams are looking for and willing to take. I don't know who that might be but I think that is a requirement.

In a pure cattle call situation, I think it could be difficult. Overseas, yes.

Here's hoping.

flutieflakes
02-28-2010, 12:38 PM
What's probably gonna happen with Matt is that he will get bunched in with 40-50 prospects that have second round grades, but it comes down to them making a good impression on one particular team to get drafted. He's in a similar position to Heytvelt and Pargo last year and Calvary and Stepp before him. Although all it would take would be one GM who needs immediate backcourt depth that's versatile to pull the trigger and snag him in the early second or even the late first. But the only way he goes in the first is if a team thinks he can make their roster immediately.

BRAY88
02-28-2010, 12:49 PM
Im sorry but bouldin is much too slow for the NBA, NBA guards and small forwards would expose his foot speed.

JPtheBeasta
02-28-2010, 07:06 PM
I used to think that he is too slow but then I thought about players such as Jason Kidd, Chauncy Billups, Deron Williams, Mike Bibby, Stephen Curry, Derek Fisher, and Andre Miller. Matt Bouldin won't be able to guard Rajon Rondo or Chris Paul, but nobody can guard those guys. Nate McMillan in Portland has opted for Miller in leiu of the quick star PG from Arizona (Bayless?). Nash has never been accused of good defense (aside from an occasional drawn charge foul), as far as I know, either. And his back up isn't any more athletic than Matt- and
Matt is a much more physical presence. Boston backed up Rondo with House (slow, although an admittedly great 3-point shooter).

Matt could also cross-match against the 2 guard, depending on the team.

I totally agree with the comment that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I am never right on this draft stuff, but a league exec. counting Matt out based on lack of defensive foot speed alone seems silly considering the precedent that has been set.

BroncoZAG615
02-28-2010, 07:19 PM
After last year, I am forced to be a pessimist about the draft. The name of the game in a two round NBA draft is UPSIDE.

He'll be fortunate to be drafted in the late 2nd but that does not mean he can't have a successful career playing basketball somewhere.

mgadfly
02-28-2010, 08:31 PM
If I'm placing a bet it is that he will go undrafted.

He has great size and strength for a guard and a superb skill set, so he may impress someone enough to get picked up in the second round. More likely, he'll go undrafted with a fair number of invitations to join a summer team and get a look that way.

Mr Vulture
03-01-2010, 10:34 AM
He will be drafted but it will be in the 2nd round. Scouts love his IQ and skills. He is every bit as athletic as a Mike Miller and his passing skills are ridiculous. Best thing is that I could see a team like the Lakers picking him as he fits there structure perfectly. The difference between Bouldin and the guys last year is that he makes others better around him and has the size. I don't think that Bouldin is too slow for the NBA and is a more well rounded player than JJ Redick and others.

Pargo didn't possess the ability to run an offense at the NBA level and didn't get a chance other than in Europe. Heytvelt lacked the toughness in the workouts I saw and was worked over by many guys that went in the 2nd round. Downs was the one that surprised me by not going to an NBA camp. He started/played well for Pheonix in the summer league and I think may get a shot again this year...ala Richie Frahm.

BlueVoodoo07
03-02-2010, 12:03 PM
speed isn't everything ask John Stockton, Matty has great basketball I.Q. he will have a good career in the nba, If he gets on a team with a all star center he will shine.

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-02-2010, 12:20 PM
The "It only takes one" theory definitely applies to the draft. Although some GMs will undoubtedly think that Matt doesn't have the explosive necessary to be effective in the NBA, it only takes one team to really like Matt's game in order for him to get his named called by the Commish next summer. IMHO, when I see players like Beno Udrih succeeding in the League, it makes me think that Matt could end up finding a home on an NBA roster.

KOzag08
03-02-2010, 12:53 PM
The "It only takes one" theory definitely applies to the draft. Although some GMs will undoubtedly think that Matt doesn't have the explosive necessary to be effective in the NBA, it only takes one team to really like Matt's game in order for him to get his named called by the Commish next summer. IMHO, when I see players like Beno Udrih succeeding in the League, it makes me think that Matt could end up finding a home on an NBA roster.

You're right, it only takes one. But when a team only gets 2 or 3 picks in the draft, that ONE team might see ONE other guy they like just a little bit better. So more than just one team liking him need to fall into place here. Love the optimism though, because i'd love to see him playing in the league.

alaskazagnut
03-02-2010, 01:22 PM
That Gonzaga has such an elite, highly productive successful coaching staff and philosophy, the players that come out of Gonzaga translate less to a high potential NBA caliber athlete. IMO, Bouldin makes the 55th to 60th pick. Mark Few gets more out of our guys than even NBA coaches can get. Development of H.S. kids to the college game is a much greater leap than development of College kids to the NBA. Mark Few gets the diamonds in the rough that will perform and "outperform" the other NCAA programs. He is a genius at getting the most out of better than average athletes by demanding strict adherence to fundamentals, teamwork and ingenious play development and execution.

In a very literal sense, the "Gonzaga Whole is much greater than The Sum of its Parts". When you take our guys out of the Gonzaga system, they are not the individual talents and physical athletic specimens that the NBA likes to draft.

That is just my opinion, and since I get slammed for most of my opinions, I hope everyone doesn't think I am bashing our program. I'm not!!

I believe the NBA has missed out on guys like Calvary, Santangelo, Heytvelt, Pargo, Batista, Violette. But they have not seen the statistical success from Frahm, Dickau, Stepp, Turiaf, or Morrison. Unfortunately, Adam Morrison's increasing status as one of the top 10 biggest busts in NBA history does not bode well for future Gonzaga draftees. I think Ammo got a raw deal and isn't getting his chance at retribution. There have been countless college stars who just cannot make the transition to the NBA. Whether it is height, strength, or being injury prone, they cannot get over the hump and into a starting NBA rotation.

I believe Mark Few does the best he can for all our athletes. But he does the best to win college games, not NBA stars. If they can somehow get into the NBA or other pro ball, he will help all he can there too. IMO, he doesn't even look to recruit 1 and done NBA'ers. He recruits the best coachable, hard working, ethical college athletes he can.

Thanks Mark!!!

CDC84
03-02-2010, 02:13 PM
Will there be a better passer in this draft than Matt? And if so, can that player shoot it at a high level as well?

Downs, Heytvelt and Pargo really don't do one thing exceptionally well, and they all have glaring weaknesses. I think that's part of the reason why those guys didn't get selected.

mdZag23
03-02-2010, 04:01 PM
live with it.

This is the NBA, and he ain't black!

lothar98zag
03-02-2010, 04:11 PM
live with it.

This is the NBA, and he ain't black!
Seriously?

http://media.scout.com/media/forums/emoticons/ohlord.gif

dim4sum
03-02-2010, 05:58 PM
There will be alot of parity in this year's draft, not the best draft by any means. So all things being equal, I say Denver drafts Matt just to have a homey on the roster. It means something in terms of selling tickets.