PDA

View Full Version : Would he sell his own mother?

Zerogame
02-26-2010, 02:24 PM
Snake oil salesman wanted, apply at U of Kentucky...opps, sorry vacancy filled

when Calipari was asked Friday what winning the school's 44th conference title would mean: "Nothing."

I've always taken the approach that it's about the seed in the NCAA tournament. If you want me to be honest about how I think and what we're doing to prepare, that's what it is. The SEC tournament is about our seed in the NCAA tournament.

-- Kentucky coach John Calipari

Not how Few sees it. Maybe the Zags should have a different perspective on the big picture,but I think Few knows winning the conference only gets a seed and it doesn’t help in securing a higher seed like other conferences. Winning our conference is the only guarantee to get the NCAA tourney. A solid record isn’t good enough, just ask St Mary.

gamagin
02-26-2010, 02:41 PM
have never gotten the KY job.

If few had Cal's success and moved up to where the thin air is all the time, as Cal has at every opportunity and after every slide back, he'd be saying the same thing.

Maybe in different words per his style, I'd like to think, but the goal would be clear, to win it all. It goes with the territory.

zagfan08
02-26-2010, 02:57 PM
Honestly he's right. If they lose in the sweet 16 the season is a failure, regardless of if they win a weak SEC.

lothar98zag
02-26-2010, 04:13 PM
Of course it means nothing to him. Any title he wins is just going to be "vacated" in a few years anyways.

maynard g krebs
02-26-2010, 04:29 PM
There's plenty to criticize Calipari about, but not this. Since the tournament went to multiple teams per league, league titles mean little to the general public. Sadly, it's all about March for most. Conference titles are a big deal for most programs, but for UCLA, KY, UNC, Kansas and a few others they're just "been there, done that". KY fans demand F4's, Cal's comment just reflects his awareness of that fact.

LMUZAG
02-26-2010, 06:01 PM
Of course it means nothing to him. Any title he wins is just going to be "vacated" in a few years anyways.

Too funny. Funny, but probably accurate.

dim4sum
02-26-2010, 06:44 PM
I don't like Calipari but I agree with him here. Those post season league tournaments really denegrate the importance of winning league play outright.
It's like saying, we went through league play and tut-tut many teams failed,
but if we have a tournament, the crappy teams will have a chance to redeem themselves. We are all winners. Then if we expand the NCAA tournament, league championships will mean even less. Mediocrity rules the day, and crappy coaches will get a bargaining chip when they renew contracts with their dumb ADs and boast about taking their lousy team to the Dance.