PDA

View Full Version : Naismith Coach of the Year preamble

ZagFanatic
02-26-2010, 01:28 PM
I don't post on here very often, but I do read the board daily and am passionate about my alma mater and the hoops program. For those of you who don't read Gary Parrish on cbssports.com he had a post in his blog yesterday about the Naismith Coach of the Year award. Apparently he is a voter for the award and he posted his list of 30 candidates for Coach of the Year that he had submitted to the Naismith committee.

He didn't have Mark Few on his list.

I took issue with that.

Gary and I exchanged a couple emails yesterday (he's a pretty nice guy) and he is now changing his candidate list and notifying Naismith he wants Few on his ballot. Pretty cool. He called out his mistake on his blog today. You can see his blog here:

http://gary-parrish.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/view/6271764

malmer7
02-26-2010, 01:32 PM
phenomenal job!

ZagNative
02-26-2010, 01:42 PM
Great, great job, ZagFanatic! I love it! You could have just complained here on guboards about what a biased loser Parrish is and would have gotten a lot of people to agree with you. Instead, you took the bull by the horns and changed the outcome.

I hope a lot of other voters didn't have the same mental lapse that Parrish did of overlooking Few because they take it for granted that Gonzaga wll be where they are right now - in contention and not missing a beat.

MickMick
02-26-2010, 01:56 PM
Coach Few is the winningest coach in basketball. He is going on 10 straight conference championships.

He went into Maui with a squad full of players who had never played in a Division 1 game and won it.

Meanwhile, Roy Williams (who Few surpassed in winning percentage this season) is battling not to be in the cellar of the ACC with a squad full of McDonald All Americans.

Ben Howland is struggling with a class that was rated tops in the country two years ago.

Tom Crean just got creamed by Wisconsin and looks years away at Indiana (A postion that Few probably could have taken)

Sean Miller is pulling his hair out at Arizona. The Wildcats look two to three years away.

Lorenzo Romar seems befuddled with a team ranked in the pre season top 10.

All good excuses for those guys though. They simply lost too many good or critical players last year.

Just like Few did......................no excuses needed here though.

I wouldn't swap him for any coach in the country....seriously.

Edit: If there was ever a year that he has proven his coaching skill, this is the year. He deserves some recognition for it.

zagitup
02-26-2010, 02:09 PM
A tip of the cap to Parrish for "manning-up" and admitting to his glaring omission. Something you don't often see in the arrogant world of sports journalists. Good on him.

NotoriousZ
02-26-2010, 02:51 PM
Good work, ZagFanatic. Every time I've heard the talking heads discussing coach of the year, Few has not been mentioned. I think it's obvious to us Zag fans that he should be AT LEAST one of the top five canidates this year, with what he's done with so many new kids.

Edit: And props to Tommy Lloyd once again for snagging Harris!

ZagNative
02-26-2010, 03:09 PM
Greg Anthony (http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/college-basketball/Coach-of-the-Year-Candidates-71892)has Few in his top three, per Rivals video.

(I love the commercial at the start of that video.)

gamagin
02-26-2010, 03:50 PM
Coach Few is the winningest coach in basketball. He is going on 10 straight conference championships.

He went into Maui with a squad full of players who had never played in a Division 1 game and won it.

Meanwhile, Roy Williams (who Few surpassed in winning percentage this season) is battling not to be in the cellar of the ACC with a squad full of McDonald All Americans.

Ben Howland is struggling with a class that was rated tops in the country two years ago.

Tom Crean just got creamed by Wisconsin and looks years away at Indiana (A postion that Few probably could have taken)

Sean Miller is pulling his hair out at Arizona. The Wildcats look two to three years away.

Lorenzo Romar seems befuddled with a team ranked in the pre season top 10.

All good excuses for those guys though. They simply lost too many good or critical players last year.

Just like Few did......................no excuses needed here though.

I wouldn't swap him for any coach in the country....seriously.

Edit: If there was ever a year that he has proven his coaching skill, this is the year. He deserves some recognition for it.

Some day I will tell the story about how the Naismith homestead is right next door to my great, great grandfather's homestead near Pakenham, Ontario. Oops, I guess I just did.

NotoriousZ
02-26-2010, 04:35 PM
Greg Anthony (http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/college-basketball/Coach-of-the-Year-Candidates-71892)has Few in his top three, per Rivals video.

(I love the commercial at the start of that video.)

I stand corrected, Greg Anthony knows his basketball. Thanks for finding that ZN!

lothar98zag
02-26-2010, 05:42 PM
A tip of the cap to Parrish for "manning-up" and admitting to his glaring omission. Something you don't often see in the arrogant world of sports journalists. Good on him.
this