PDA

View Full Version : Little Meech Love

Hoopaholic
02-26-2010, 11:07 AM
I know I am one of the "few" who believe in Meech and have said all along that he needed time understanding his new role as it pertains to the dynamics of the offense (not needed for scoring ect) and to understand how each of his teammates run the court, catch the ball, post up ect.....

so enlight of the negative posting over the year toward one of my favorites (not hiding my bias) I want to show couple of stats over the last 5 games that seem to have gone unnoticed:

Meech Assist to Turnover ratio over the last 5 games is 5 ASSISTS to every Turnover (only 2 TURNOVERS in the last 5 games)

Compare to Matts (and no I am not saying Meech is same caliber of overall player as Matt but simply using these as comparison as people tend to not look at comparison value facts) over the last 5 games his assist to Turnover ration is 2.2 Assists to every TURNOVER.

Meech is shooting 51% from the floor, done by smart shot selection, understanding of what his strength and weakness are as individual and in the context of the team offense....a great improvement second half of the season.....

While the other starters are critical, Meech is an unsung hero as far as his improvement has occured the second half. He will be a critical element for our run into the postseason........

RockandRollJames
02-26-2010, 11:12 AM
I'm glad you posted this. Meech has really been playing well as of late and deserves recognition. He has definitely discovered his role. He had a few very nice dishes that I don't think the big men were ready for that could have produced some more assists. GJ looked good too, which has me a little less worried about our PG situation for the future. I'll admit I was one who wasn't a big believer in Meech, but as of recently I like him more and more every game.

webspinnre
02-26-2010, 11:15 AM
Absolutely. We need Meech to continue to play selectively, making the smart passes, knowing when to drive it hard, and when to dish it off. If he can keep this play up, it'll make a huge difference.

hooter73
02-26-2010, 11:26 AM
I love statistics. I can statistically show how cannibalism is a wonderful answer for curing world hunger

When you look at Meechs stats individually yes, they are getting better. But Rob Sacre is 50% from 3pt land. You have to look at stats WITH their totals for them to mean anything

That being said, I think he is getting better and will be good enough to continue playing in his starting role. Getting through a sophomore slump and settling into yourself and where it fits in with a bigger picture is not something a lot of people have much patience for.

I think both he and GJ have a hint of the killer instinct
that is lacking from a lot of players and teams and rarely seen in a point guard. Having that instinct before you develop your full game is not a great way to get many fans like we've seen with Meech.

Of course this is all just my opinion and means diddly...

Hoopaholic
02-26-2010, 11:39 AM
correct on statistics, but the assist to turnover ratio is a common one for snapshot understanding of how a guard is playing and instead of taking a "single " game I went back and looked over 5 games and, even over the last 10 games he has improved to a 1.5 assists to every turnover.

Both of those numbers are very respectable indicators of a guard who has settled into his role and improved.

totality over the last 10 or so games I also thinks gives a picture of an settled down and improved guard....7.2 ppg, 2.3 rebounds, 1.9 assist 1.3 turnovers and 1 steal per game.....I would take those numbers any day, especially as it compares to the overall team as it pertains to scoring, rebounding and other roles of each of the players.

gamagin
02-26-2010, 11:55 AM
I know I am one of the "few" who believe in Meech and have said all along that he needed time understanding his new role as it pertains to the dynamics of the offense (not needed for scoring ect) and to understand how each of his teammates run the court, catch the ball, post up ect.....

so enlight of the negative posting over the year toward one of my favorites (not hiding my bias) I want to show couple of stats over the last 5 games that seem to have gone unnoticed:

Meech Assist to Turnover ratio over the last 5 games is 5 ASSISTS to every Turnover (only 2 TURNOVERS in the last 5 games)

Compare to Matts (and no I am not saying Meech is same caliber of overall player as Matt but simply using these as comparison as people tend to not look at comparison value facts) over the last 5 games his assist to Turnover ration is 2.2 Assists to every TURNOVER.

Meech is shooting 51% from the floor, done by smart shot selection, understanding of what his strength and weakness are as individual and in the context of the team offense....a great improvement second half of the season.....

While the other starters are critical, Meech is an unsung hero as far as his improvement has occured the second half. He will be a critical element for our run into the postseason........

I think statistically, there are more than a few who are rooting for Meech to improve. And your stats say he has done that -- especially the last several games. I agree. If he can keep it up & start making most (80-85 vs. 50%) of his f.t.'s the rest of this season, he could really make an impact.

hooter73
02-26-2010, 12:17 PM
I think good season stats for Meech would look like 7.4ppg, 2 rb, 4.5 assists, 1.2 turnovers, and 1.2 steals - all at somewhere around 28 minutes per game.

Statistically 37.4% of stastics are made up on the spot - just like the numbers I just typed in there :)

cjm720
02-26-2010, 12:22 PM
Go Meech!!!

Go Zags!!!

Zags-Bsee
02-26-2010, 12:34 PM
And anyone on the floor improving their game can make the difference.

Meech is much better at avoiding being noticed for mistakes. I think he can really be a pain to teams next year if he can make more free throws.

Being at the game on Thursday, I was also appreciaing how GJ put a lot of pressure on teams by how he attacks offensively. 6 points in 11 minutes. Possibly against lesser competition. I am sure that is a mixed blessing. Few probably wants GJ to run the offense, but also wants Meech to successfully attack and score more on offense.

I hope they both continue to grow like Matt has each year.

MickMick
02-26-2010, 01:14 PM
Meech was the only Zag that "brought it" against LMU.

nuff said.

mee755
02-26-2010, 01:25 PM
I believe in Meech as much as I believed in Pargo his sophomore year. I believe he is capable of great things. I also believe that he will have some struggles. He's still developing his game. I'd much rather have him on the floor than GJ right now.

dim4sum
02-26-2010, 01:39 PM
Glad ofthe statwise improvement, but iam still concerned about his lack of focus when he crosses the ten second line. He dribbles endlessly head down and doesn't seem to be looking for the open man. His passes are kind of a last resort after running out of dribbles. Please Few and company work with him on that.

ZagHouse
02-26-2010, 02:03 PM
How fun would it be (next year) to see Few try to go small (tiny) with Meech and GJ in the game at the same time every once in awhile. Tough match-up for someone to guard.

seasontixholder
02-26-2010, 03:20 PM
Meech has made big strides in running the offense and looking for the post. It was funny last night motioning for Manny where to be/go, since it was only about 8 weeks ago he was on the receiving end of things. Contrary to what was said above, he does not cross half-court and disappear anymore. And you can tell that Few likes what he sees on both ends of the court. It used to be constant coaching tutorials from the bench while action was going on, and head-shaking when he went to the bench. Not any more.

GJ: still not passing effectively to break down a defense or deliver it consistently to the bigs. His O-game consists of dribbling and passing at the perimeter, or driving and shooting. Against more elite teams, his physical immaturity prevents him from finishing at the bucket.

In his defense, he still is pure freshman with enough talent to do well. I don't what the coaches see (or put up with, if anything) in practice. But his shot seems passable; also, if you watch his video for the last 4-6 weeks, you'll see that he really stays in front of his man on defense when needing to. Better than most of the others, believe it or not. Unless there are intangibles that have him in a doghouse, I wish that he stays. I wish that he would have redshirted - more physical maturity would have served him well.

Kiddwell
02-26-2010, 03:25 PM
Meech is a sophomore coming along, IMO, at a sophomore's pace. Kiddwell expects some ups and downs--with his ups predominating over time.

Pargo (as a recent example) had some sophomore foibles needing practice, PT, and patience to rectify. Same'll happen with Meech.

His most important need, IMHO, a consistent outside shot.

:]

gamagin
02-26-2010, 03:28 PM
x x x Contrary to what was said above, he does not cross half-court and disappear anymore. And you can tell that Few likes what he sees on both ends of the court. It used to be constant coaching tutorials from the bench while action was going on, and head-shaking when he went to the bench. Not any more.

GJ: still not passing effectively to break down a defense or deliver it consistently to the bigs. His O-game consists of dribbling and passing at the perimeter, or driving and shooting. Against more elite teams, his physical immaturity prevents him from finishing at the bucket.

I hope this new version of Meech keeps on growing in his job. I believe he is going to be forced to shoot (vis a vis being left alone while they double team MB or whomever) and has got to gain enough respect to force our foe(s) to keep him guarded. If he doesn't shoot, he'd better drive and draw some defenders, imo.

seasontixholder
02-26-2010, 03:37 PM
What I like most about Meech is his character as a player. Not a pouter, not a whiner, no mood swings, just a tough-nosed guy that's coachable and who is upping his game.

Section 116
02-26-2010, 03:38 PM
If this hasn't been posted elsewhere one of the things Leon Rice noted on last nights post game radio show was the fact Meech held SC guard Robert Smith to an 0-10 shooting night and hounded him to the point SC's offense was rendered nearly irrelevant. Rice said this was just the latest in a string of superb defensive efforts on opponent guards recently.

seasontixholder
02-26-2010, 03:46 PM
If this hasn't been posted elsewhere one of the things Leon Rice noted on last nights post game radio show was the fact Meech held SC guard Robert Smith to an 0-10 shooting night and hounded him to the point SC's offense was rendered nearly irrelevant. Rice said this was just the latest in a string of superb defensive efforts on opponent guards recently.

Yes. And he did it efficiently and honestly without silly early fouls or gambling. Straight up. The body language was Meech = alpha and Smith = sidekick.

(Gray also assisted on the effort.)