PDA

View Full Version : Better Shooter: Steven Gray or Jared Stohl

ZagInTexas
02-26-2010, 10:33 AM
Saw this video on Portland's message board. It is an interview with Jared Stohl and then he does a quick shooting clinic going over his shooting mechanics. This kid is money. He makes it look so easy. The question is, who is the better shooter, Steve or Jared? Isn't this kid from WA? Did we recruit him? I'm sure nobody would have predicted he would have become this good, but just think about what it would be like to have this kid in a Zags' uni. I think with our system, our national exposure, and schedule, he would be our JJ Reddick. Kid makes it rain! What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq-dnlQLdnI

jake
02-26-2010, 10:43 AM
Pure shooter? In my mind there is no doubt it's Stohl.

BobZag
02-26-2010, 10:44 AM
Stohl is the better shooter. Gray's overall game, ie, defense, makes him the better player. But Stohl is lights out as a shooter.

ZagInTexas
02-26-2010, 11:00 AM
Stohl is the better shooter. Gray's overall game, ie, defense, makes him the better player. But Stohl is lights out as a shooter.

BZ, any idea if Stohl was on the Zags radar in HS? I agree that Gray is the better overall player. Really like Gray's defense. But I think Stohl would thrive in our system.

BobZag
02-26-2010, 01:52 PM
BZ, any idea if Stohl was on the Zags radar in HS? I agree that Gray is the better overall player. Really like Gray's defense. But I think Stohl would thrive in our system.

I don't think he was, his name never came up that I or anyone I know heard. I am not privvy to everything by any stretch, though.

ZaggyZaggerson
02-26-2010, 02:10 PM
I don't think there's much difference between the two. Both are streaky. Gray is a much better athlete, though. Stohl went to Marysville-Pilchuck High School in Marysville. He works hard at his craft -- shooting -- and he's a good kid.

ZagInTexas
02-26-2010, 02:26 PM
I don't think there's much difference between the two. Both are streaky. Gray is a much better athlete, though. Stohl went to Marysville-Pilchuck High School in Marysville. He works hard at his craft -- shooting -- and he's a good kid.

I would say that Gray is a little more streaky than Stohl, but when Gray is on, he is as good as any in the country. Stohl seems like he would have been a type of player the Zags in the early years would have targeted. A bit of an underdog who is a gym rat, plays hard, and is model citizen. Kudos to POR for identifying him in HS.

seasontixholder
02-26-2010, 03:53 PM
Gray's percentage will go down against elite defenders, while Stohl will get smothered altogether. If the point of Zag recruiting is to be able to play athletically with the elite, the first imperative is to bypass guys that win horse flatflooted. Fools gold.

Zag Man
02-26-2010, 04:50 PM
Having watched Jared Stohl only a couple of times, I can only say that he is a tremendous long-range shooter that is extremely dangerous beyond the 3-point line. However, I consider Steven Gray a “scorer” who can score from any place on the court. IMO, I believe Steven is best shooting from the top of the key when beyond the 3-point line, but he is at his very best shooting the mid-range shot, ala Richard Hamilton from the Detroit Pistons, and has improved tremendously this year in attacking the basket. Because he is such a good free-throw shooter, that makes Steven an even more effective scorer. I remember Rick Barry once saying that he was a good scorer, rather than a good shooter. I believe Steven is a much better scorer than Jared Stohl. Additionally, I believe Steven’s excellent defensive skills makes him much more of an asset to his team.

FuManShoes
02-26-2010, 04:50 PM
Gray's percentage will go down against elite defenders, while Stohl will get smothered altogether. If the point of Zag recruiting is to be able to play athletically with the elite, the first imperative is to bypass guys that win horse flatflooted. Fools gold.

Tend to agree with this. Stohl has a very low release and needs spacing by way of distance from the hoop. The longer the defender, the further out he needs to go. That said, he has an uncanny knack for quickly getting shots off ala Curry but I don't think he has the athleticism to find other was to score if the shot is off. Steven, on the other hand, has the whole package: a beautiful, if streaky shot, a killer driving game, great passing, stellar defense. I think you take that kind of player every time even if the other guy is a better and more consistent "role" player.

Zagpower
02-27-2010, 04:52 AM

Stohl wins in a game of HORSE, but he cannot create his own shot against good defenders like Steven can.

I like watching Stohl because he has unlimited range. He dang near made that circus shot against us at the end of the game when I doubt he could even see the basket.

TexasZagFan
02-27-2010, 05:32 AM
Stohl wins in a game of HORSE, but he cannot create his own shot against good defenders like Steven can.

I like watching Stohl because he has unlimited range. He dang near made that circus shot against us at the end of the game when I doubt he could even see the basket.

I'd like to see Stohl's stats against the type of OOC teams that Steven has played. I'll bet that Stohl's stats get padded against weaker teams.

IMO, it's easier to shoot lights out when the game isn't on the line. Steven's been there, Stohl hasn't.

That's what I loved about being the "anchor man" on my teams through the years...10th frame, need a double or better to win...rip the other team's heart out.

Zagpower
02-27-2010, 07:10 AM
That's what I loved about being the "anchor man" on my teams through the years...10th frame, need a double or better to win...rip the other team's heart out.

You were in Beerfest?

seasontixholder
02-27-2010, 07:12 AM
I'd like to see Stohl's stats against the type of OOC teams that Steven has played. I'll bet that Stohl's stats get padded against weaker teams.

West Virginia made it a point of emphasis to guard the 3 point line and forced 5-24 by the Pilots, 2-7 from Stohl. IIRC, the first half was even more brutal - there were some late successful shots when it had already been decided. I remember watching that game and remarking how puny he was made to look.

Derek Ravio is about the lowest combination of shooting, strength, and athleticism that a team desiring to be truly "elite" (imo, Top 8) can afford to sign. Guys like Rotnei Clark or Isiah Thomas will do damage in all of the lesser games, but are totally outmatched against a team determined to focus on them. Even Derek got face-guarded to marginalization by certain OOC opponents.

jake
02-27-2010, 10:39 AM
No doubt that Stohl would struggle more playing athletic teams night in and out, but I think some are selling his talent short. Without Raivio he's had an increase in defensive pressure on him and still shot just fine. No doubt Steven is more athletic and a better overall player, but Stohl is a significantly better shooter.

75Zag
02-27-2010, 03:14 PM
If you were betting on a game of horse between the two players, I would take Stohl in a heartbeat. In a game situation with top-25 opponents bumping and making hard non-call body checks, I think Gray gets his position and hits more shots. Stohl is a heck of a WCC player though.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!