PDA

View Full Version : SI article - Harris and Foreign "imports"

tightface
02-26-2010, 09:40 AM
A good read from Luke Winn, "The Luxury Imports Are Here"

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1166491/index.htm

Apologies if this have already been posted.

SWZag
02-26-2010, 10:09 AM
Yes, this is a great article! Thanks for posting. Tommy is becoming one of the best, if not the best, foreign recruiters in the country. Love that my hometown of Kelso got props in SI too! :D

SWZag

Zagnailler
02-26-2010, 10:22 AM
Great pic of Elias and teammates playing in the Memphis game along with the story in the magazine.

webspinnre
02-26-2010, 10:44 AM
His Speyer teammates—especially the software consultant, Thorsten Racquet, a former pro who had hoped to play for St. Francis (N.Y.) before being called into the German military—had encouraged him to go abroad to fully develop his skills. And now Harris is majoring in sport management at Gonzaga, with the hope of someday running an all-amateur German club that will help prospects come to the U.S. "The [higher-division] clubs at home bring in so many American pros," Harris says, "that there aren't enough chances for German kids to get playing time." If they're anything like Harris, Gonzaga will gladly welcome them. Deutschland to the inland Northwest could be one valuable pipeline.

I love seeing that vision and maturity.

ZagNative
02-26-2010, 02:26 PM
Thank you for finding and posting that story! It is a good read, and a couple of things especially caught my eye:

Harris's recruitment was much more straightforward. His main adviser (aside from his father, Michael, an American who had played pro basketball in Speyer, and his mother, Svenja, a German native) was German national team coach Dirk Bauermann, who supported Harris's signing with the Zags that November. He arrived the next summer and immediately began wowing teammates in pickup games. "He dunked on everybody," says Bouldin, "and it was clear he was on another level of athleticism—an NBA level." Harris, who has established himself as a first-round prospect, at week's end was averaging 15.3 points and 7.9 rebounds for the 22--5 Bulldogs. He is on track to become only the second NCAA player from Europe to be taken in the first round of the NBA draft.He didn't arrive in summer and start playing pickup games with teammates, did he? I was thinking his first visit to Spokane was for the Memphis game, and that he spent the summer with the U20 German team, then with the Senior Men's team, arriving on campus deep into September.

Am I misremembering?

Second point of special interest to me:

International recruiting is not a recent phenomenon. (BYU claims to have signed the first foreigner to play in Division I, Finland's Timo Lampen, in 1960.) But for a perennially ranked school like Gonzaga, in 2009, to have a recruiting class comprising mostly non-U.S. players is unheard of. Thanks to new NCAA legislation, Bulldogs scouts might soon have more company as they travel the globe. In January the NCAA approved resolution 2009-22, which, if it goes into effect as planned in August, will allow players who've played with pros but not signed an agreement—such as West Virginia's Turkish forward Deniz Kilicli, who had to serve a 20-game suspension this season under the current rules—to be eligible immediately.
I had been looking for news about the NCAA convention's action on Resolution 2009-22 but had somehow missed out on reporting on whether or not it had been approved.

Interesting.

bballbeachbum
02-27-2010, 07:24 AM
thank you for the link. good article. scouting Europe for basketball talent sound like a dream job to me!

ZagNative
02-27-2010, 07:37 AM
EuropeanProspects.com (http://www.europeanprospects.com/1989-born/forward-1989-born/elias-harris/european-impact-players-elias-harris-and-jeffery-taylor/) has a post today discussing Elias and former Zag recruit Jeff Taylor, being two Europeans to watch during March Madness.

This caught my eye:
Both players have the ability to set the pace offensively for their teams; they are key top scoring players and should be considered NBA prospects sometime in the future. Draftexpress mentions both of them in their respective Mock Drafts for 2010 and 2011 as first round picks.

Elias leads his teams in rebounds with almost 8 per game and scores 15.3 points each night. He is explosive and a quick learner, which make him a risk in both the paint and at the perimeter. Whoever they play in the March Madness first round, I’ll bet the college basketball odds will make Gonzaga the favorite due to Elias Harris’ skills.

About his NBA future, Harris spoke recently to the German basketball magazine FIVE and said that he won’t probably declare himself eligible for this year’s NBA Draft. He sees himself ready in 2011 and prefers to stay another season in Spokane. However, if he feels the necessary interest from an NBA team and the guarantee to draft him in the first half of the 1st round, he can imagine himself being already declaring in 2010.

bballbeachbum
02-27-2010, 08:14 AM
more good Saturday morning reading :)

hey, if his play, in concert with the team's success, earns him an early 1st round guarantee over the coming weeks, fine with me :)

But it doesn't appear to be his focus, which will allow him to keep that right where it needs to be...on the step in front of him, whatever that is, each and every day. Maybe that's just my hope, but he really seems that way, and at least what we read suggests he gets that same guided support from Coach Bauermann (sp?), too.

MDABE80
02-27-2010, 08:15 AM
The nuance of the last sentence ZN:( He's just not ready right now. If he could somehow power GU through to a FF and get a double double, he might be gone. His stock isn't rising the past 4 games. Let's hope he'll be around. Besides...what do "they" know at EuropeanProspects.com!!???
I do know this: if we keep Elias for another year, count us lucky.

webspinnre
02-27-2010, 08:34 AM
I think for him to go this year will involve us going deep into the tourney. If he leads us to a Final Four, then I certainly won't be complaining if he ends up going.

BRAY88
02-27-2010, 08:43 AM
this article forgot to mention Sacre as another Canadian coming from Vancouver