PDA

View Full Version : OT: The Stars Aligned Last Night (kinda long)

NontradZag
02-26-2010, 09:26 AM
First off, this story is going to be a little "WhooHoo-esque".

I graduated from GU in 2007 as a non-traditional student. I work in downtwon Spokane, so I would walk the centennial trial to class, walk back to work and drive to my home in Coeur d'Alene to do homework. Working a full-time job and having a wife and young son at home seemed to prevent me from using my student status to get a free ticket.

So, even though I went to and graduated from GU, I had never attended a game.

A couple of weeks ago, Angelo posted on the board that he had one ticket to the SMC game, and that "if you wanted it, to email him and convince him that you deserved the ticket." Well, I emailed him. The SMC game came and went. No such luck receiving the ticket.

On Wednesday the 24th, I received an email in my gonzaga email account saying that "you have been activated from the waitlist for the Santa Clara game." My first reaction was of shock. I never put my name on a waiting list for tickets. I assumed, for whatever reason, that even though I didn't get the ticket for SMC, that Angelo or someone had put my name on a waitlist for tickets.

Fast forward to last night's game. I get off work, kill an hour or so at REI, then drive over to the campus. I figure I will pick up my ticket, go over to Jack & Dan's for a quick brew, and head into the game. I have really no idea where I need to pick up my tickets, so I wander over to the South entrance and stand by the Will Call booths on the outside. This was at about 6:15 last night.

At 6:30, the Will Call booths open. I step up to the appropriate lane for my last name, hand them my ID and ask for my ticket.

"Ummm, sorry sir. We don't have your tickets here. How did you get the tickets?" I replied "Well, I just received an email though my gonzaga email address". The attendent replied "Do you know who sent you the email?" "No...maybe somebody from the GU Boards?" I say. They looked at me like I was crazy.

After this exchange, they tell me that I might be on another list where the tickets might not have been dropped off yet. They ask me to wait a few minutes. After about 15 minutes of waiting outside the Will Call window, I finally figure out that I can find the email on my Blackberry.

I pull up the email and hand my phone to the attendant so they can see it. By this time, the supervisor is involved; he grabbed the phone and went back into the office. After about 5 minutes, he comes back, hands me back my phone and asks me to come inside.

I go in K2, all lit up and beautiful. He meets me at the entrance and starts to explain:

"Sir, we made a mistake here at the ticket office. The email you received is for current student ticket requests. We activated the two tickets (Cal State as well....) for the email you provided. Unfortunately, it looks like you and another student somehow share the same email address. These tickets are for the current student, but because of our mistake, here is a ticket for tonight's game."

So, even though it was a giant mistake, how PMTA (borrowing from WhooHoo) it was that my first GU game was free and was one of the best games of the year. Kudos to the ticket office for giving me a ticket. The events surrounding the notification of the ticket through email as well as execution of obtaining the ticket were cryptic enough that I was willing to throw in the towel and say "maybe next time..."

Anyway, after all of that, the game was absolutely amazing. The Kennel Club's opening with music, etc. was electrifying to say the least. I smiled and got goosebumps. Gray's explosive game, Bouldin's amazing court vision. Michael Hart smoothness and ability were all wonderful to see.

Needless to day, even if I have to visit StubHub next year, I will be back.

(Sorry for the pic quality...)

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs442.ash1/24412_1338173981745_1453010352_896806_250526_n.jpg

Elias!

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs442.ash1/24412_1338174621761_1453010352_896821_4424104_n.jp g

Bouldin and Gray hip bump!

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs422.snc3/24412_1338174381755_1453010352_896815_5356021_n.jp g

Gray warmup dunk!

americasteam
02-26-2010, 09:46 AM
Congratulations Nontradzag!!!!! Must have been an awesome night :) Loved the story, and the pics!

NotoriousZ
02-26-2010, 10:37 AM
Good stuff!!! I'm hoping the stars align for me on March 19th and 21st!

BobZag
02-26-2010, 10:55 AM
Nice story. If the ticket manager guy was Chris Johnson, he's aces. Not surprising he'd do that for you.

ID ZAGFAN
02-26-2010, 11:07 AM
Nice story. If the ticket manager guy was Chris Johnson, he's aces. Not surprising he'd do that for you.

The ticket office is awesome! Especially when they make a mistake. Last November, I was calling (through the Bulldog Club) for tickets and the woman who answered put me on hold--and then hung up on me. When I finally got through again, they were, of course, sold out. I mentioned that it was pretty upsetting to get through only to be hung up on. They talked to the supervisor, and made staff tickets available for me to purchase.

Fortunately, the staff wasn't out tickets, as I switched them to the handicapped section as I always do, so the original seats were still available. It was definitely a win-win.

ID ZAGFAN

gamagin
02-26-2010, 12:01 PM
great story ! thanks for sharing.

ZagNative
02-26-2010, 12:32 PM
Great story, and I loved the SG/MB hip-bump photo!

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs442.ash1/24412_1338174621761_1453010352_896821_4424104_n.jp g

Wow! That must have been fun to see in person.

TerpZag
02-26-2010, 01:20 PM
...Anyway, after all of that, the game was absolutely amazing. The Kennel Club's opening with music, etc. was electrifying to say the least. I smiled and got goosebumps. Gray's explosive game, Bouldin's amazing court vision. Michael Hart smoothness and ability were all wonderful to see....

NontradZag, glad you had a "Zagnificent" time!