PDA

View Full Version : Lunardi: 5 seed in Spokane - SLC

BobZag
02-26-2010, 09:05 AM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

Slid down to a 5 but in the West, not Midwest.

Zagsker
02-26-2010, 09:09 AM
ugh...my worst fear, being the team that has to play UCONN. Talking with a friend of mine a week or two ago and said...UCONN is going to get something from a 10-12 seed and I would hate to be the team that has to play them.

Other than the UCONN game...that bracket looks nice in getting to the E8..even F4

DADoZAG
02-26-2010, 09:14 AM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

Slid down to a 5 but in the West, not Midwest.

A west coast second weekend bodes well and might be a bigger factor than the location of the first weekend...

I'm not going to get much sleep for the next few weeks, MOMoZAG won't be happy. But, after twenty six years, shouldn't she be used to it?

Go ZAGS!

BobZag
02-26-2010, 09:18 AM
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/31012

sdzag
02-26-2010, 09:30 AM
Keep the Zags away from UCONN. Would much rather play a team that hasn't knocked off Nova and WV.

CB4
02-26-2010, 09:47 AM
That first game would be rough, but it's in Spokane so there's an advantage. I'd love to see the Zags beat UCONN, especially after last year's BIS disaster. After that I like how the Zags match up with Temple and Purdue. I'd much rather meet Purdue than any of the other 1s or 2s.

tobizag
02-26-2010, 10:09 AM
it confuses me that the previous edition of bracketology, which came out early this week AFTER we lost to lmu, did not have our seed changing at all. 4 seed in spokane before the lmu loss, 4 seed in spokane after. our little colored arrow didn't even change. steady.

now, after winning a game this week, we are a 5 and falling? what?

kitzbuel
02-26-2010, 10:17 AM
how crazy would a GU/SMC NCAA match up be?

(I know, I know, the committee does not match up conference foes in the first couple of rounds. It is a what if question).

bullzag23
02-26-2010, 10:48 AM
how crazy would a GU/SMC NCAA match up be?

(I know, I know, the committee does not match up conference foes in the first couple of rounds. It is a what if question).

It would be very crazy, but we likely couldn't meet until a final four at the very earliest due to seeding/regional restrictions. The committee almost always places teams from the same conference in different brackets, unless that conference has more than 4 teams in the field, in which case they must make exceptions. So essentially we'd need to have 5 teams in the tourney from the WCC....now THAT would be crazy.

Edit- Forgot to respond to Tobizag's question. The reason we dropped is likely because playing SCU yesterday did not help our SOS or RPI, and the teams that are currently seeded around us are winning against better competition.

Pleasant Peninsula
02-26-2010, 11:17 AM
it confuses me that the previous edition of bracketology, which came out early this week AFTER we lost to lmu, did not have our seed changing at all. 4 seed in spokane before the lmu loss, 4 seed in spokane after. our little colored arrow didn't even change. steady.

now, after winning a game this week, we are a 5 and falling? what?

Gonzaga was #16 on last week's S-Curve (the last #4 seed), this week they are #17(the top #5 seed) , as Temple jumped two spots after winning at St. Joseph's and Dayton this week.

Gonzaga getting a number #4 seed is going to be dependent on 1) winning out and 2) how teams in the #10-#20 range on the S-curve fair down the stretch.

It won't have anything to do with Gonzaga's RPI dropping because they are playing bad teams. That isn't going to hurt them.

bartruff1
02-26-2010, 11:24 AM
UCon's seeding is likely to improve as the selection gets close.. but..really, we all know you can get beat by anyone...

BobZag
02-26-2010, 02:35 PM
Jeff (Spokane)

What are Gonzaga's chances of playing in Spokane as 4 / 5 seed if they win out?

Joe Lunardi (3:12 PM)

Good to very good, Jeff.

btzag
02-26-2010, 06:36 PM
Has anyone seen the two MWC teams play either in person or tv? I have yet to see either play but I just cannot buy that we will see two #3 seeds out of the MWC!

I have run through the schedule's of both and New Mexico I will concede has at least an argument but based on BYU's schedule I don't think they should even be considered for a top 5 seed in the tourney. Toughest non-conf game was at home to Ariz St which they won and then probably a win at UTEP. Other than that you've got Arizona or Nebraska... Then in conf play they lost at New Mexico and at UNLV so basically their top wins are ASU, UTEP and Arizona.

Seriously if they lose to New Mexico at home, how could the committee give even a 5 seed to BYU when their top wins are the second place team in the weak-10 and the top team in conf USA. NO way that happens.

NYCZAG
02-26-2010, 08:45 PM
Uconn would be a disastrous first round game for anyone in the country!-Walker Dyson Robinson not many teams match up with that athleticism and they are hot at the right time-Going to big east tourney next week and I could see them going on a roll and winning or at least going semi's and moving to a 9 or 10 seed-I don't want any part of the homecourt or not first round!-

MDABE80
02-26-2010, 10:27 PM
Win games and stay in Spokane. Easy huh? We've done everything to blow it. Even last night we only shot 50% from FT's. Man oh man...these kids need to wake up. Nobody gives you anything this time of the year if you lose or play like it "might"matter.

Wn these games...2 more in regular season and 2 in the tournament. Somebody else will lose or play like it doesn't matter. We get the 4 spot and stay home. Might be close. From here on in though, every breath matters.

Reborn
02-26-2010, 10:28 PM
I love being in Spokane and being in the West. Duke will most likely replace Purdue soon as the 4th number 1 seed. I'd like a crack at Duke out West. They NEVER travel out here. I think this is a good place for GU and I hope we stay right where Joe has us. I would rather play Louisville this year. I also like Temple at Home. Having home court advantage is pretty huge, so I expect GU to geth the toughest #12 seed to even that advantage out. This year I think home court advantage has been the biggest factor in winning games. Accept for the top teams like Kansas and Kentucky, and really, is the SEC really that good this year???? How can Tennessee be a 6 seed and UCONN a 12? UCONN would bury Tennessee, but the Zags will beat whomever we play. We can beat UCONN in the Spokane Arena. Sure we can. Don't frete it guys. I know UCONN would hate to be playing GU in Spokane.

RenoZag
02-27-2010, 04:42 AM
Would you rather the Zags stay in Spokane & have to play stiffer competition

or

Hit the road & get a more favorable match -up ?

willandi
02-27-2010, 06:56 AM
it doesn't personally make much difference. I would like to see them go DEEEEEEEP into the tourney, EE or FF, and which ever path makes that more likely is my choice. I'll be watching all the games anyway.

Therunner
02-27-2010, 07:01 AM
Would you rather the Zags stay in Spokane & have to play stiffer competition

or

Hit the road & get a more favorable match -up ?

Two quick thoughts:

1. You could argue playing in Spokane actually puts added pressure on Gonzaga to perform well in the post season. On occasion, being the home team in tourney-type situations causes you to play tight(at least thats what the Canadian hockey team claimed after the US beat them during Olympic Prelims). Also, we shoot FT's better away from Spokane. Go figure.

2. Basketball is all about match-ups. We know this. Personally, I love the idea of home cookin' in the first two rounds, but prefer the most favorable matchups possible. Point being: would you rather face UCONN in Spokane or Kent State in San jose?

Reborn
02-27-2010, 07:29 AM
First of all there are really no easy games in the NCAA tournament. If a team thinks that way at all, then they will be packing up and going home after the first game. Are there tougher teams than others? Yes. I think that this year there really will be very few teams that are not dangerous though. There will be so much parady in the tournament this year. The tournament will return to the crazy and thrilling tournament it once was because there will be so many upsets.

As I said in my last post, a team wants to play near their home in the first two rounds this year. I said that because most teams played best at home this year and played poorly on the road. I honestly do not believe that either Louisville or UCONN will be twelve seeds. I think both of them are better than the 11 seeds: Cornell, Old Dominian, Rhode Island and UAB. I think Gonzaga could most likely win their first game anywhere. It's that 2nd game that you want to play near your home. Here are the current #4 seeds: Pittsburg, Michigan St., Temple, and Vanderbilt. I would prefer to play these teams near home. And I guarentee you they do not want to come to Spokane to play Gonzaga. And I would rather play a #! seed in the west regional for the same reason. Our best route to the Elite 8 and or Final 4 is first in Spokane, and second in the West regional.

Zag4Hire
02-27-2010, 09:56 AM
Crunch time for the Zags! Wrap up the season, take the autobid by winning the Vegas WCC Invitational, watch the unveiling of brackets, and take care of business.

Funny to hear the talking heads say that GU is a Sweet 16 team but obviously many on this board want to see Elite 8, FF appearance, or better. Obviously to take the program to the next level of awareness is to get into the Elite 8 realm. I don't care about the seed but I want the Zags in Spokane. It does make a difference where you play (familiarity, fan support, no travel woes, etc.). Hopefully the opponent has to cross the country as well ala Gonzaga v Davidson several seasons ago.

75Zag
02-27-2010, 03:05 PM
I am not familiar with the Bracketville column but he certainly has no love for GU. Showing GU as 25 on the NCAA "power curve" with a 7 seed playing first round games in Oklahoma City. I sure hope he is wrong.

Tough games today for GU's RPI, but hopefully GU seeding won't come down to RPI.

New Mexico coming on very strong. Would not want to be in an early contest with them.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

BlueVoodoo07
02-27-2010, 09:13 PM
I would rather play New Mexico than Uconn.

rijman
02-28-2010, 09:39 AM
I am not familiar with the Bracketville column but he certainly has no love for GU. Showing GU as 25 on the NCAA "power curve" with a 7 seed playing first round games in Oklahoma City. I sure hope he is wrong.

I prefer Lunardi's predictions, he has a very good track record.

I just don't want to see UConn in the first round, they may be the toughest
12th seed ever. Hopefully, they will move up with recent wins over Villanova and West Virginia. They still have 3 conf games left against Louisville, at Notre Dame and at USF, so they have a lot of work to do. There are still a lot of games to be played before the seedings are set. It will be interesting to see Lunardi's changes in the next update.

rawkmandale
02-28-2010, 03:33 PM
Bye Bye UConn

ha ha ha - 17 and 12? Tied for ninth in their league? Two road games left? Say hi to North Carolina at the NIT.

Oh, and they beat Villanova and West Virginia after those teams started to suck in the second half of league play.

ZagAddict
02-28-2010, 06:27 PM
First of all there are really no easy games in the NCAA tournament. If a team thinks that way at all, then they will be packing up and going home after the first game.

:agreed:

We need the "anyone, anywhere, anytime" attitude. Lack of confidence = early exit in NCAA in March... all the teams are good.

The Zags need to focus on taking care of business in the WCC tournament... a loss in the WCC torney would be bad for seeding and confidence heading into the NCAA tornament.

Zag79
03-01-2010, 02:24 AM
How can Tennessee be a 6 seed and UCONN a 12? UCONN would bury Tennessee

uhhh..... nevermind. i say gonzaga has to beat someone good sometime to make a run, being at home would sure help. i would rather be in spokane with NO travel, and the craziest crowd support you have ever seen behind the fellas than anything else. seed, opposition, etc is far less important when they have to fly out here and play in spokane. i cant think of a scarier task in march for a college team than that.