PDA

View Full Version : Friday look ahead...

U Zig, I Zag
02-26-2010, 08:01 AM
Not to overstate the obvious:

Guaranteed to be a blowout: Gonzaga destroyed Santa Clara late Thursday, and now the Zags have a chance to avenge last month's inexplicable loss to San Francisco. The rematch is Saturday night at the McCarthey Athletic Center. I can't imagine it'll be close.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/12980514/friday-look-ahead-xaviers-mack-goes-on-attack-to-rock-arena?tag=headlines;collegebasketball

From the same post Parrish actually called out John Wall a bit, which I find amazing. The media's love affair with this kid is nauseating... (I know, I know)

Player trying to get rolling: John Wall is still terrific, and anybody suggesting otherwise is crazy. But it is a fact that the super freshman is 7 of 26 from the field in his past two outings with eight turnovers and five assists, and that's no good. Kentucky is so talented that it can get by when Wall is in a funk, proof being that the Wildcats are 27-1 and on an eight-game winning streak. But next up is Saturday's game against Tennessee at Thompson-Boling Arena -- otherwise known as the only place Kansas has lost -- and Wall probably needs to be sharper for UK to escape.

bballbeachbum
02-26-2010, 08:08 AM
we'll see. not to overstate the obvious, but USF is not weak...we learned this first hand, yes? we play them with that in mind, and I like our chances big time :)

DADoZAG
02-26-2010, 08:28 AM
we'll see. not to overstate the obvious, but USF is not weak...we learned this first hand, yes? we play them with that in mind, and I like our chances big time :)

Right on. I was concerned about the match ups last time, and I'm still concerned. We don't have anyone to stop Lowhorn. Harris will need his best defensive effort, and be looking for dimes when doubled or tripled or quadrupled...

Also, Matty needs to stop being a spectator on D.

Go ZAGS!

bballbeachbum
02-26-2010, 09:03 AM
Right on. I was concerned about the match ups last time, and I'm still concerned. We don't have anyone to stop Lowhorn. Harris will need his best defensive effort, and be looking for dimes when doubled or tripled or quadrupled...

Also, Matty needs to stop being a spectator on D.

Go ZAGS!

Elias will be challenged to respond! Lowhorn is a load, but so is our Elias. fun battle to watch. USF also posted up #21 on Elias last game to some success, another tough D matchup. good opportunity to step up

one disagreement. I think Matt's a big part of it on D; good help side D from him last night in the post, had his hands on a lot of balls; he's playing better on the ball D this year than I've ever seen from him...something I didn't know was even in there for him, but he's always adding stuff to his game, you know? as fun a player to watch develop as I've seen

anyway, since you said that, it's something I'll watch for tomorrow night for sure

GO TEAM ZAGS!!!

DADoZAG
02-26-2010, 09:09 AM
...he's playing better on the ball D this year than I've ever seen from him...something I didn't know was even in there for him, but he's always adding stuff to his game, you know? as fun a player to watch develop as I've seen...

GO TEAM ZAGS!!!

I'll agree with you about the on ball D, Matty's improved and is still improving. Maybe I'm just being picky in regard to my spectator comment above, would appreciate another's point of view.

'Just love this team, what a year, what a journey...

Go ZAGS!

EngineerZag
02-26-2010, 09:16 AM
Down at the bottom of the article it talks about Coach Mack at X posting on their message board in a plea to get the fans loud and excited for the next game. Pretty cool, eh?

bballbeachbum
02-26-2010, 09:42 AM
I'll agree with you about the on ball D, Matty's improved and is still improving. Maybe I'm just being picky in regard to my spectator comment above, would appreciate another's point of view.

'Just love this team, what a year, what a journey...

Go ZAGS!

Yeehhhoooowwwww!!!!!!! me too :)

OK, well, one other thing the team has improved is closing out on the perimeter to deny looks without then giving up the dribble drive. everybody's doing it better, it's been emphasized imo...under control but aggressive close outs from better defensive positioning, with hands up to deny looks, prepared then to move the feet again if there's a pump fake/dribble drive try...and blunt it without reaching. basically, if we deny the drive well, then those drivers are forced to kick the ball out, so the ability to close out that perimeter effectively is a perfect fit piece to the puzzle, and ratchets it all up that much more! Matt looks pretty good at this to me