PDA

View Full Version : Seriously: Bouldin or Gray?

malmer7
02-26-2010, 07:37 AM
I'm not asking who's better, I'm not asking who you like more... I'm simply asking that when tourney time rolls around, who do we NEED to be at the TOP of their game in order to make a deep run, Bouldin or Gray??
At this point in their careers, Bouldin certainly is the more complete player, 95% of us can agree on that. BUT, there have been numerous threads regarding stats and opinions on Gray's streaky play and it sure seems like as he goes, go the zags... I know we'd all like to see them both play well, and maybe the answer is that they BOTH have to be playing top notch basketball to advance, but i think still think it's a viable question: who needs to be playing better to help the zags advance DEEP into the tourney? have fun with this...

mdZag23
02-26-2010, 07:44 AM
plays great, this team could go very deep in the tournament. Has to shoot the ball well, stay out of foul trouble and play spectacular D. Simple!

Vanzagger
02-26-2010, 07:48 AM
More alley oops please.

bballbeachbum
02-26-2010, 07:58 AM
I'm not asking who's better, I'm not asking who you like more... I'm simply asking that when tourney time rolls around, who do we NEED to be at the TOP of their game in order to make a deep run, Bouldin or Gray??
At this point in their careers, Bouldin certainly is the more complete player, 95% of us can agree on that. BUT, there have been numerous threads regarding stats and opinions on Gray's streaky play and it sure seems like as he goes, go the zags... I know we'd all like to see them both play well, and maybe the answer is that they BOTH have to be playing top notch basketball to advance, but i think still think it's a viable question: who needs to be playing better to help the zags advance DEEP into the tourney? have fun with this...

I think you're right on and answer your own question...BOTH!!! and really, more. Everyone needs to be clicking, taking care of their business, competing and winning in their roles. it really is all about team team team, cliche' as that sounds, and figuring out what victory requires on any given day or night with the cards in your hand...and then doing it. fun :)

DADoZAG
02-26-2010, 08:14 AM
To make a deep run, we will need everyone to be at the top of their game.

+1

Anyone else concerned about Bouldins fingers? He's now got three taped when it was only two, and his shot seems off.

It would be great if Matty can get out of the game early Saturday, and only play a bit during Senior Night, although that won't happen. We'll need his stroke come tourney. Just my opinion.

Go ZAGS! Crush San Fran...

bartruff1
02-26-2010, 08:17 AM
They won't go anywhere without Matt....period..

cjm720
02-26-2010, 08:18 AM
That's a loaded question!

Steven Gray is the x-factor of the team. Bouldin is an overall better player and the floor general. In the tourney, I'd rather have Bouldin play average and Gray play exceptional.

Go Zags!!

americasteam
02-26-2010, 08:34 AM

Steven Gray is the x-factor of the team. Bouldin is an overall better player and the floor general. In the tourney, I'd rather have Bouldin play average and Gray play exceptional.

Go Zags!!

Exactly! Bouldin can play is "average" great all-around game and Gray can play exceptional like last night and we'll have a good shot at most teams!

malmer7
02-26-2010, 08:41 AM

Go Zags!!

i think this is really the answer i was after, couldn't agree more.

here's why i agree - when bouldin has an "off" night, or even just an average night, it doesn't seem to hurt the team that much... i don't know if gray is the emotional leader or the "x-factor" as you say - but it sure seems like if he playing average or worse, the team really seems to suffer. i wish i knew why gray has such an influence, does he affect the other players that much?

seasontixholder
02-26-2010, 09:00 AM
If the Zags play commitment defense in The Dance like they did last night, any calculations about any individual Zag's offense are misplaced. They should come out with a bullying, swaggering posture on defense and send a message in no uncertain terms that resistance is hopeless. The other end of the court will take care of itself.

SwainZag
02-26-2010, 09:05 AM
In terms of this question, Gray needs to play like he can. Bouldin can still have an off shooting night and make a HUGE impact on a game. When Gray is hot like he was last night, the attention he draws opens up room for Sacre and Harris. I think that is the difference between Bouldin and other GU guards in the past. They were always score first, where Bouldin is your more polished floor general and probably one of the best passers this program has ever seen. Regardless to go deep several people need to step up :)

ZagInTexas
02-26-2010, 09:13 AM

Go Zags!!

Couldn't agree more. Steven is the X-factor if not for both positive and negative reasons. When Steven is on his game, he is one of the best in the nation. When he is not, he is very average. the X-factor is his consistency. You never know what you are going to get with him. Just so we are clear, I'm a huge Steve Gray fan. Shoot the ball with confidence young buck!

gamagin
02-26-2010, 09:17 AM
with only 1, 2 or 3 of five players "on" for a particular game. Just in the past few weeks.

We need all five starters "on" all 40 minutes, plus important minutes & plays from our bench, if we hope to get beyond the WCC tourney, much less very far into the post season dance. I'm as worried about our f.t. shooting as anything else going into the finals. If i were playing GU, I'd be fouling on most easy shots on the idea the Zags are only good for 50% on average.

So, everyone needs to step up. Focus on the game and concentrate at the charity stripe.

Whoever has the ball when the game is on the line has to be ready, willing and able to finish.

I'd like it to be MB or SG, or even EH, but it could very likely be Meech, or SG or Bol or Manny or KO, like it was Meech driving while the other guys played it safe and guarded our "stars" in the W. KY game.

Whoever it is, he needs to go for it.

Xin Loi 67
02-26-2010, 09:42 AM
Bouldin and Gray are a great pair when Bouldin brings the ball down and is reading the defense from the first part of the possession. Meech bringing the ball down at present leaves Matt out of the play until the 3rd or 4th touch. I have been watching lately and at times Matt will be waving his hands for the ball and he's looked off. It's crunch time this is the 2010 team and tryouts are over. Put the ball in Matt's hands early not just as an out. This has been going on for about 6-7 weeks now and I don't understand why.

Gray and Bouldin bringing the ball down court increases their effectiveness and brings the defense out and spreads them out. That's what was going on earlier in the year when Harris and Sacre were getting points and were more effective. When Meech brings the ball down the other team just walls up and clogs the paint. This takes points from the bigs and limits their movement.

Matt has been posting his man time and time again and is looked off or passed to that 1/2 second late. It looks to me that his number is seldom called in a set play he hunts shots instead. One play was called for him last game he missed the layup but was fouled. I think Matt reinjured his hand which was almost healed. Hope it comes around soon.

In my opinion Gray and Bouldin coming down the court is our best offensive start and paired up they are very hard to handle by any team they face.

Situational = Meech the destroyer on fast breaks or here to there plays but simply put Meech does not see the court or does not read the defense as well as Bouldin or Gray.

Just an opinion, put the ball in Matt's hands and let him work.

zagsmyboys
02-26-2010, 09:50 AM
BOTH......end of story......:D

malmer7
02-26-2010, 10:37 AM
maybe i should have posed the question differently - if 4 of 5 starters are going to play well in the tourney, who would you LEAST want to be 5th guy that is going to have an "off" night - lol, i dunno anymore, i'm confusing myself

bullzag23
02-26-2010, 11:01 AM
maybe i should have posed the question differently - if 4 of 5 starters are going to play well in the tourney, who would you LEAST want to be 5th guy that is going to have an "off" night - lol, i dunno anymore, i'm confusing myself

I may be in the minority here, but I'm going to say the guy I want LEAST to have an off night would be Harris. With him scoring down low it really helps free up the 3 point arc for Gray/Bouldin/Kong etc to go off. The inside/out game is what has made us really successful in the tournament in years past, and we need a return to that. Granted, having our backcourt go crazy helps, but we need the versatility that an inside/out game brings, as it's just so much more difficult to defend a multi-dimensional offense.

bartruff1
02-26-2010, 11:15 AM
maybe i should have posed the question differently - if 4 of 5 starters are going to play well in the tourney, who would you LEAST want to be 5th guy that is going to have an "off" night - lol, i dunno anymore, i'm confusing myselfMatt...because the others will not play well without him...he starts about 75% of the half court and maybe 25% of the fast breaks...he is like they say...the straw that stirs the drink...they can win without him in the WCC on occasion but IMHO he will have to have a normal game for them to advance in the dance...I am glad you cleared this up...:lmao:

FuManShoes
02-26-2010, 11:24 AM
I'm mostly with you on the premise that Gray must be at the top of his game for the Zags to reach their potential in the Dance but I think the more critical question mark is Sacre. If he's playing as well as he was early -- finishing at the rim, making freethrows, limiting turnovers -- then the Zags can perhaps withstand an off night by Gray or Bouldin because they would likely get some sort of contribution from Manny and Kong, but you can't really replace your center and an effective Sacre really opens things up for everyone else. Then again Will has shown he can contribute, which takes some pressure off Sacre. So basically the bench is the key :)