PDA

View Full Version : 1 point short. Was it the right call?

tyra
02-26-2010, 06:51 AM
Steven was one point shy of his career high last night when he was removed with something like 8 or ten minutes to go. Some will look at that and say: "Good. It's not about personal records. It's about giving him some rest going into tourney week and letting some of the bench get some playing time. They deserved it." Others will look at it and say: "Really? Another minute for him to score again and reward him for a great game would have been OK."

What do you say?

BTW, as impressive as Steven's offense was last night, I thought his defense was spectacular.

Zagpower
02-26-2010, 07:13 AM
Selfishly, I was hoping they would leave him in to see if he could outscore SCU. I believe with 10 minutes to go in the game, Steven was still ahead.

I doubt anyone's third leading scorer has ever done that in a Div 1 Game. Could have been history.

malmer7
02-26-2010, 07:23 AM
Selfishly, I was hoping they would leave him in to see if he could outscore SCU. I believe with 10 minutes to go in the game, Steven was still ahead.

I doubt anyone's third leading scorer has ever done that in a Div 1 Game. Could have been history.

steven was still up by 5 when they took him out, it would have been SWEET to see him outscore them, but i dont think he was putting up 52 last night... i'm glad they took him out when they did - 1. it keeps him from getting hurt (then we'd all be really ticked) and 2. it will keep his head just a tiny bit smaller, can't have him getting too excited in his abilities quite yet, save it for a few more weeks down the road

gozagswoohoo
02-26-2010, 07:27 AM
I don't really have a huge opinion on this. The only thing I have to say about it, was I was really glad to see so much of our bench get so much time.

Once and Future Zag
02-26-2010, 07:29 AM
Steven Gray in 27 minutes = 26 pts.

Santa Clara in 31 minutes = 25 pts.

Just let that digest for a while.

And if we don't spend the last 9 minutes or so with almost-exclusively bench players and walk-ons, I don't think SCU breaks 35 pts total for the game.

Yeah - I think if we kept our first 5 playing all the way through, I think SG beats SCU.

ronh_pm
02-26-2010, 07:43 AM
Steven was one point shy of his career high last night when he was removed with something like 8 or ten minutes to go. Some will look at that and say: "Good. It's not about personal records. It's about giving him some rest going into tourney week and letting some of the bench get some playing time. They deserved it." Others will look at it and say: "Really? Another minute for him to score again and reward him for a great game would have been OK."

What do you say?

BTW, as impressive as Steven's offense was last night, I thought his defense was spectacular.

I say get him his extra point...then I win the over instead of a push. :(

sharpzag
02-26-2010, 08:14 AM
I think Few did a good job taking Steven out before he (possibly) went cold. Now Steven will go into the next game still on fire and ready to drop 30 against SF. It is good to keep Steven hungry at this point. Also, Few gave him a big high five when he came out which is rare for Few to do.

23dpg
02-26-2010, 08:20 AM
Right call.

titopoet
02-26-2010, 08:20 AM
I think Few was wanting to save his career high for the elite eight game. :)

cjm720
02-26-2010, 08:23 AM
I know what Shaun Alexander would say...

It's a team game.

americasteam
02-26-2010, 08:26 AM
Initially I was disappointed but then I decided that he has lots of games left to try and beat his career high. Plus didn't Few leave him in the longest of the starters...Bouldin, Meech, Harris and Sacre were all out by that time, so he did give him a little more time :) (I know, I know, Sacre went in for a short bit after that but, you know what I mean...!)

BobZag
02-26-2010, 09:02 AM
Keep 'em hungry for a bigger stage.

EngineerZag
02-26-2010, 09:04 AM
Steven Gray is absolutely amazing when he's on like that. He's so streaky! I wish he played like that all the time, he'd be an AA for sure. Maybe next year?

El Voce
02-26-2010, 09:06 AM
I'm not 100% positive, but I believe Grant Gibbs went in for him. Despite the score, Gibbs had not played yet, and it was the right decision to pull Gray and give Gibbs some court time. Gibbs, GJ, Kong, Arop - these guys are our future and need to play some, so, yes, it was the right decision.

americasteam
02-26-2010, 09:11 AM
Yes, I meant of the 5 starters, Gray was the last to go out, although Sacre did go back in for a few plays after. So he got a chance to extend his scoring, but I'm guessing Few decided to pull him so he wouldn't get hurt or to give the bench more playing time in a game

webspinnre
02-26-2010, 10:48 AM
He's a junior, he'll have plenty of time to set a new career high for scoring. Played a great game, lets keep him fresh. We need his legs and his stroke. Plus, it was great seeing all the young guns getting so much time. That's the sort of thing they need to continue to gel together.

zagzealot
02-26-2010, 12:36 PM
This was actually a big discussion topic for the Zealot family on the way home from the game. We ran the gamut from "it's crummy he was pulled" to "it keeps him striving for a personal best in the tourney." In the end, the Littlest Zealot was gloating that Steven hasn't beaten the LZ's personal best and that was end of discussion for him. :p

CaZagAlum
02-26-2010, 12:50 PM
I wonder if the coaches even have stats like that at their mental fingertips and realize when a player is one pt below his career high. (Thoughts?) With so many things to think about in a game, I'd hazard to guess it's low on the totem pole.

SunDevilGolfZag
02-26-2010, 04:25 PM
I think you leave him in if another basket gets him to 40. In this case it was the right call to get him out of there happy and healthy

tyra
02-26-2010, 06:25 PM
I wonder if the coaches even have stats like that at their mental fingertips and realize when a player is one pt below his career high. (Thoughts?) With so many things to think about in a game, I'd hazard to guess it's low on the totem pole.

I'd bet large money Coach Krause knew exactly where Steve was and what his PR to date was.