PDA

View Full Version : Confession to make ( Re: The UCLA game. . .)

Zagdawg
02-26-2010, 06:40 AM
I have been living with this challenge for a number of years-- but I have come to the point where I need to get it off my chest.

You may or may not recall this date ---March 23 2006-- one of my worst Zag memories of all time (I too have tried to repress this memory -- but it is time to clear the air).

I feel that I may have been a major contributor to what happened on that fateful day.

Our Zags were up big time over UCLA and about to advance to the Elite Eight.

I need to aplogize for what I did at this time.

I went on Ebay and was getting ready to purchase my ticket to the Elite Eight game in Oakland, Ca. as the game clock ticked down.

I had the tickets picked out -- nice mid court -- my Wife had already approved the purchase.

I was looking for the hotel... something semi-close to the arena ....what should we wear.... gotta check the weather-- (as we know it is always sunny in California).......when I went back to check on the final minutes of the game........it was history from there.

I wanted to apologize to my fellow Zags brethern and bretherettes (is that a word?)-- I will never put us through that again--.

One game at a time.......

Signed...a Zag fan.

mdZag23
02-26-2010, 07:38 AM
and my buddy and I were saying that they needed to get to 75 points to win the game....

Zagpower
02-26-2010, 07:52 AM
Zagdawg,

I'm glad to hear your confession. For years, I feared myself and czzagfan may have started the bad karma during that game.

We were big into selling Zag apparel at our store back then and at halftime, we contacted our shirt printers and placed a very large order for Elite 8 shirts. The rest is history. To this day, I can't believe how that game ended. Never had my guts been ripped out before or since like that game.

I'm not superstitious, but to this day czzagfan and I talk about that move we made during that game.:mad:

tightface
02-26-2010, 08:51 AM
Looking back, sure we could/should have won, but just maybe UCLA was the better team. Their entire starting lineup from that game has played at least a year in the NBA and their 6th man, Darren Collison, is playing in the league now as well.

If I could do it all over again, I would have given Pargo the start at the point and moved Raivio to the 2 and benched PMAC. Pierre played 16 minutes and had 0 points. Its also shocking to see Mallon only played 13 minutes and also put up a goose-egg.

gamagin
02-26-2010, 08:59 AM
my eyes & my Zag soul were only recently healing after I jabbed my eyes with every single pin in my wife's pincushion in a desparate attempt to erase the picture of that game in my mind.

Now, it's back.

Kiddwell
02-26-2010, 09:23 AM
Z-Dawg, you're forgiven...provided you make April's payment on Kiddwell's hybrid...oh, and April's mortgage payment...and, um, gimme a $50 Starbucks gift card. :p

:]

<Love that "Signature Hot Chocolate!">

Zagsker
02-26-2010, 09:33 AM
I don't believe in bad karma or luck.

well it believes in you

FlyZag
02-26-2010, 09:35 AM
I can confess that I am partially responsible for this years loss at LMU. It seems that every game that I watch with my wife, we win. When she misses the game, we lose.

Well, she asked when tip was... I told her. She then said, "Oh, no! I have plans to do.. blah, blah, blah. I'll change my plans and watch the game with you, so they don't lose." I then said, no don't worry... It's LMU, we should win no problem. Do what you were going to do and I'll watch alone.

Of course we all know how that turned out.

I am so sorry.

For what it's worth, she will be in attendance with me for the SF game and the tourney in Vegas.

americasteam
02-26-2010, 09:41 AM
Awesome story Flyzag! Don't take too much blame..who woulda known!

Glad to hear you two will be joined at the hip from now all the way through the NCAA tourney games!

Kiddwell
02-26-2010, 09:54 AM
I can confess that I am partially responsible for this years loss at LMU. It seems that every game that I watch with my wife, we win. When she misses the game, we lose.

Well, she asked when tip was... I told her. She then said, "Oh, no! I have plans to do.. blah, blah, blah. I'll change my plans and watch the game with you, so they don't lose." I then said, no don't worry... It's LMU, we should win no problem. Do what you were going to do and I'll watch alone.

Of course we all know how that turned out.

I am so sorry.

For what it's worth, she will be in attendance with me for the SF game and the tourney in Vegas.

Fly, Kiddwell's grief needs salving. How 'bout two dozen, homemade chocolate chip cookies..., um, and a gallon of 2% milk?

<Optionally, a pan of fresh-baked brownies and the moo.> :p

FlyZag
02-26-2010, 11:02 AM
Fly, Kiddwell's grief needs salving. How 'bout two dozen, homemade chocolate chip cookies..., um, and a gallon of 2% milk?

<Optionally, a pan of fresh-baked brownies and the moo.> :p

You got it! I'll get Mrs. Fly on it pronto!

Of course, I likely would need to sample them to ensure proper quality control. Would hate to give Kidwell anything less than the best. Not sure how much will be left over for you after I'm done sampling though...

007Zag
02-26-2010, 12:39 PM
That year, my seminarian brothers and I watched the first half at Bishop White, like we had every game up to that point in the tourney, and I decided to move over to a friend's house for the second half and some celebratory beers. I've always felt guilty. I've done my penance though, and I'm ready to see the Zags make a FF run this year!

Kiddwell
02-26-2010, 02:59 PM
That year, my seminarian brothers and I watched the first half at Bishop White, like we had every game up to that point in the tourney, and I decided to move over to a friend's house for the second half and some celebratory beers. I've always felt guilty. I've done my penance though, and I'm ready to see the Zags make a FF run this year!

Kiddwell would feel a whole lot better about this, James, if you and your seminarian bros would pray for Kiddwell's hopes, dreams, and aspirations...oh, and for the eradication of the fleas infesting the dear & shaggy coat of Kiddwell's faithful dog "Towzer."

<Maybe a box of fine-point yellow highlighters, too, for Kiddwell's Bible?> :p

lothar98zag
02-26-2010, 04:12 PM
I confess that I don't recall this GU-UCLA game everyone is talking about.

gamagin
02-26-2010, 07:32 PM

the memory will return to you if/when the ringing stops . . .

U Zig, I Zag
02-26-2010, 08:24 PM
well it believes in you

haha :)
you all are harsh! :lmao:

Zagineer
02-26-2010, 10:13 PM

What?? We actually played UCLA once? I don't recall either. :confused:

Lewey
02-27-2010, 06:35 AM
I was at the UCLA game in lower section in the corner. Our seats were in the corner, immediately next to the UCLA student section. Like most students, they stood for the whole game. Not really a problem for me, but for my 70 something mother it was a real problem. Throughout most of the game, I was soooo looking forward to the Elite 8 game without them in front of us. Then, . . . . .

dim4sum
02-27-2010, 07:55 AM
I remember the time anyone who would even dare to bring up that horrible experience would have the red dots flying his way fast and furious. Now that we've gone from the denial to acceptance phase, the board isn't as uptight as it once was. Worse yet about that unmentionable game, it may have sealed JP Batista's career as a European League rather than NBA player. He was on the cusp of becoming a late second round pick before falling to Farmar's quick hands.