PDA

View Full Version : Team Identity-Defense

bballbeachbum
02-25-2010, 03:22 PM
don't remember a Zag team's identity being Defense. not saying others could not do it well or didn't put in the effort to try to do it hard and intense, whatever, just that this team attacks the game, as a team, with a defensive mentality first imo...and a rhythm really flows for them from that when they do get it going. they look to shut people down! from the tip, and win that way, with it being a star of the show.

others have mentioned similar observations. starts with so many being able to deny dribble penetration without help. to me, it's the biggest step up the program has made this year, with the biggest tests still ahead of course. having Rob and Will defending the rim with purpose adds to it all.......but basically, there are less blow bys on the perimeter, requiring less help defenders to leave open shooters or dunkers, and also there are less fouls collected by our bigs inside, whether they foul or not, but simply because there's some opposing player driving the lane, again and again, doing damage with the ball in the paint...any team's achilles heel.

It's fun to outscore teams like that, the teams that could get into the lane and do their thing but GU still won anyway...don't get me wrong! that is fun stuff :)

But it takes its own kind of stones to step it up, to a man, as a team, defensively, to trust that all others are capably and willingly at your back and are hard on their assingment...are equally intense...equally identified.......

and the other biggie, equally capable. this part speaks to the athleticism of this team, and depth of athleticism to me--a very good thing-- and the staff's decisions on the types of players recruited, scholarshipped, played.

fun watching this develop, with the players, this new recipe, this new found identity, how it fits our personnel...how they are getting it, buying in hard, on what it takes to get it done like this.

I love this brand of basketball, a whole new era for GU, imho. am I full of Polly? :D

And, the O is still good!!! can always dial it in better, but GU has weapons, and Coach Few proved long ago he knows how to dial up awesome offense. still, another thread could be how on O to more effectively attack a 2-3 zone...see Pepperdine :) would bet the bank that was a point of emphasis this week in practice.

GO TEAM DEFENSE!!!

BobZag
02-25-2010, 04:23 PM
I think this team has a "Never say die" mentality, digging out Ws when behind and things look bleak. They never give up and more than once won when most fans, if honest, didn't think they would. For such young guns, that's a great identity. It bodes well for the future.

GU69
02-25-2010, 05:44 PM
Intense defense can deflate the other team more than a good offense. And intense defense can lead to easy offensive opportunities.

A week ago I was at a girls high-school basketball game where the better team put a lot of focus on defense. Deep into the second half they were well ahead by 15 or more points, and the coach had the bench players in the game, but the intensity was the same as it had been all game.

At one point, after a time out, when they broke their huddle the entire team yelled "DEFENSE." Those girls stomped out onto the court with fire in their eyes. Within 15 seconds they had stolen the ball, made a quick lay-up, and were back attacking on defense like it was the only thing that they ever wanted to do in their lives.

Zag79
02-25-2010, 11:13 PM
great post beach, i fully agree. this teams defense is very impressive, and when playing at full speed, focused and inspired its great to watch.

bballbeachbum
02-26-2010, 07:49 AM
wow, had no idea the guys would play like that last night when I posted this thread, but obviously, last night's efforts exemplified it. good building block last night, now on to the next.

bringing it like that back-to-back on one day's rest is its own challenge, and is tomorrow night's test. looking forward to it. I like Robert's quote about sharing the title :)

GO TEAM ZAGS!!!

DADoZAG
02-26-2010, 08:05 AM
don't remember a Zag team's identity being Defense. not saying others … didn't put in the effort to try to do it hard and intense, …

And, the O is still good!!! … GU has weapons, and Coach Few proved long ago he knows how to dial up awesome offense.

I think this team has a "Never say die" mentality,…

Eleven players making buckets tonight :) .

Nice examples of a great coaching staff doing more with more…

It's darn near as good as sex. :D

Go ZAGS!

cjm720
02-26-2010, 08:15 AM
wow, had no idea the guys would play like that last night when I posted this thread, but obviously, last night's efforts exemplified it. good building block last night, now on to the next.

bringing it like that back-to-back on one day's rest is its own challenge, and is tomorrow night's test. looking forward to it. I like Robert's quote about sharing the title :)

GO TEAM ZAGS!!!

You have some smarts, Beach. Great post, and to think it was made BEFORE last night's defensive effort!!!!

Go Zags!!

gamagin
02-26-2010, 08:18 AM
good job/insights BBB !