PDA

View Full Version : How would you divide playing time next year

RebornZag
04-29-2007, 10:28 AM
An interesting question was raised on another thread (who would you redshirt next year) about how we might divide up the playing time next year. I thought it might be better if we just started a new thread on it. I tend to agree that Few won't use more than 9 players who get 10 min or more.

There's 200 minutes a game and here's my best guess.
Pargo will get 32 min.
Josh will get 30 min.
Matt will get 30 min.
Downs will get 30 min.
Pendo will get 20 min. off the bench

That leaves 55 minutes left for Kuso, Foster, Davis, LG and the 4 new incoming players (Daye, Gray, Sacre and Brown).

Here is where it gets tough. I also do not think Few will play 12 guys but will play 9 guys more than ten minutes.

Davis will get 18 min. and will be a starter with Pendo off the bench.
Daye will get 15 min
Brown will get 14 minutes
Sacre will get 11 minutes

That leaves Gray, LG and Kuso to be ready to play when any of these guys get hurt. More than likely players will get hurt. Someone always does. Of these I think Foster will redshirt. Foster could use more weight.

This is a mere feeble attempt to answer the question. I think one thing is certain...Practices will be very intense as players battle for playing time
next year.

NorthWestZag
04-29-2007, 11:31 AM
I think that is a great breakdown. Like I said in the other thread, We have 13 great players (Andrew is most insperational IMO) but Few will not run this team like North Carolina.

This team will ride on Pargo, Bouldin, Heytvelt, and maybe Micah for minutes. I also think Davis will start and Pendo comes off the bench. I would redshirt one of the three freshman, probably Gray but maybe even Sacre. That would leave Daye, Brown, Kuso, LG, and Gray/Sacre fighting for the last few spots off the bench. We will probably play this thing by ear and see who works well together. Personally I think we should play teams like Eastern, Idaho, Portland State, and the GASO tourney early in the season so we can get a feel for what combo's work the best.

roxdoc
04-29-2007, 01:34 PM
Reborn I think that was a pretty good breakdown too. Probably more for the start of the season. My one problem would be Pendo subbing for Davis at the 5 spot, rather than say Sacre or Foster.

Assuming no injuries - and we all know how that goes - FWIW here is my best guess for season averages - not at the start:

5 Davis 18 min
Sacre 10 min
Kuso 7 min
Foster 5 min

4 Josh 25 min
Daye 9 min
Brown 4 min
Pendo 2 min

3 Downs 25 min
Daye 6 min
Brown 5 min
Pendo 4 min

2 Matt 20 min
LG 13 min
Gray 7 min

1 Pargo 32 min
Matt 8 min

These numbers would be subject to change due to an injury or two or if someone has a breakout year.

bayzag09
04-29-2007, 01:38 PM
Reborn I think that was a pretty good breakdown too. Probably more for the start of the season. My one problem would be Pendo subbing for Davis at the 5 spot, rather than say Sacre or Foster.

Assuming no injuries - and we all know how that goes - FWIW here is my best guess for season averages - not at the start:

5 Davis 18 min
Sacre 10 min
Kuso 7 min
Foster 5 min

4 Josh 25 min
Daye 9 min
Brown 4 min
Pendo 2 min

3 Downs 25 min
Daye 6 min
Brown 5 min
Pendo 4 min

2 Matt 20 min
LG 13 min
Gray 7 min

1 Pargo 32 min
Matt 8 min

These numbers would be subject to change due to an injury or two or if someone has a breakout year.

Kuso is going to get more minutes then that...and to say that Davis is going to start at center is a huge stretch

roxdoc
04-29-2007, 01:56 PM
Season averages.

RebornZag
04-29-2007, 02:03 PM
Roxdoc: I think you have some good ideas there, and some we actually agree on. Great. One big difference between our views is two fold: One. I think in order to play at your best a player must be given an opportunity to play and this means minutes. You need to warm up and get into the rhythm and flow of the game. I believe if you are running guys in and out that it could be very disruptive to establishing a good flow to the game, as well for individuals to get into a flow. That is why I am against playing a lot of guys. I put down 9 guys, but as the season wore along I would narrow it to 8 guys. I think an 8 man rotation is excellent.

I also believe that subs need an opportunity to play and get minutes to be at their best. If you play 13 guys, and you are a sub, I feel you would really never really get into any kind of flow and rhythm. I agree with your idea that in the early part of the year Few may play more guys and different kinds of combinations to get an idea of who plays best with who...that kind of chemistry is very important. An important part of basketball I think is to have a bench that can score points. And I think with the talent we have we will really excel in this area. With Daye coming off of the bench I think we will have an excellent scorer...like Downs was last year. I also think with Sacre and Kuso on the bench we will be way better off than last year with guys who can give solid minutes off the bench to our BIGS. And then there's Pendo.

I'm surprised you only give Pendo 9 minutes because he got about 20 last year, and when he started he got about 28 (with Josh gone). Pendo I think really proved himself offensively and especially as a very good 3 pt shooter. I expect him to play at least 20 min. and he could be as high as 24 min per game. That will depend on who we are playing and how well he is playing D and rebounding. He does give away a lot in those areas against certain teams. But this year, like I said we will have some good points coming off the bench: Daye, Brown, Gray (maybe) and Sacre. And because we have so many scorers this year, we may actually see LG get more playing minutes than we might think because of his tough D and the fact that we also need guys who do NOT look to score but who get the ball to our main scorers (I think Josh, Michah and Matt first...these guys will score points).

MickMick
04-29-2007, 02:35 PM
Rox, you forget that Few has a track record of playing his favorite seniors.

Be honest. How many of you pulled your hair out watching a hobbled Mallon limp down the court against Memphis knowing that 6'10" Burgess was available? If he played Mallon in those circumstances, what do you think he is going to do with Pendergraff?

I am a Pendo fan anyway. I don't think he is a liability to the team. I think the lack of inside presence was never his fault. He is more of a block out/ long rebound type guy than a force around the rim. In other words, he is a nice compliment to a good post player. And he does it rather well. I didn't hear many complaints when he was teamed up with Batista. I doubt if there is anyone on the team that is better at setting screens either (vital to the pick 'n' pop style that Few loves).

tyra
04-29-2007, 03:09 PM
Some things we do NOT know at this time.
1) Who EARNS it in practice and personal development.
2) Injuries.
3) Someone redshirting.
4) And interestingly, who the 5th starter is.
This latter question is almost as interesting as PT distribution. So, Board, who is the 5th starter (I assume Josh, Jeremy, Matt and Micah).

RebornZag
04-29-2007, 03:36 PM
Great question, Tyra. It is going to be a battle for a post player. I would say it's Theo Davis unless he gets hurt. I think it was as well last year, and he ended up getting hurt. Even though Theo didn't play last year, he was around the team and at practice and I am hoping learned a lot by watching. Now he can put it all into practice.

The reason I don't go with Kuso, as I've said many times before, is that he has no hands on offense. He kills us offensively and he makes our guards look bad because often our turnovers are due to the fact that he can't catch a really good pass (which by the way Bouldin can really do).

The reason I don't go with Pendo is his height and positively because he is such a great guy to bring in off the bench. He's like having an ace in the hole. A great 6th man is at times even more important than being a starter.

Who knows by the end of the year....it could be Will or Sacre. We'll need to see the team chemistry with Theo in there first I think. From what I've read Theo is a highly rated talent. I'm excited to see him play.

spudzag
04-29-2007, 04:08 PM
I guess the other guy in the mix might be Ira Brown. He doesn't bring any more size the Pendo despote his hops.

For either of these guys to have a shot at a starting role, Josh would have to continue at the 5 spot. Not my preference.

I'm going to agree that Theo is in the starting line up.

roxdoc
04-29-2007, 05:13 PM
Reborn - I agree completely about a whole bunch of people playing short segments. My listing was not for what minutes would be played every game by who. I am just taking a wild guess that at the end of the day (season end) that those will be the averages.

MickMick - I shudder to think if seniors get the time, just because they are seniors this season. I love Pendo just as much as the next rabid Zag fan. Great energy off the bench. LOL definitely not a liability, but with his size he is a 3 or a 4, the spots where we will undoubtedly see lots of Josh, Micah and Daye splitting the 80 available minutes 3 ways. With all due respect to Pendo he faces some tough competition for minutes. Now, God forbid, if there is an injury it will be Pendo to the rescue.

MickMick
04-29-2007, 06:03 PM
Reborn - I agree completely about a whole bunch of people playing short segments. My listing was not for what minutes would be played every game by who. I am just taking a wild guess that at the end of the day (season end) that those will be the averages.

MickMick - I shudder to think if seniors get the time, just because they are seniors this season. I love Pendo just as much as the next rabid Zag fan. Great energy off the bench. LOL definitely not a liability, but with his size he is a 3 or a 4, the spots where we will undoubtedly see lots of Josh, Micah and Daye splitting the 80 available minutes 3 ways. With all due respect to Pendo he faces some tough competition for minutes. Now, God forbid, if there is an injury it will be Pendo to the rescue.

All I can say is remember Mallon. Don't get me wrong, I liked the kid a lot. But I occasionally got the feeling that he was on the floor because of leadership (read senior) contribution as opposed to what he actually contributed with respect to the game itself.

zaguarxj
04-29-2007, 06:10 PM
The only thing I can predict with any confidence is that Pargo will average 36+ minutes per game. Seems like every other position is up for grabs.

saintzag
04-29-2007, 06:40 PM
Pendo will start. Best all around Zag. 20-25 minutes per game 16ppg ave.

J-Mac Zag Forever
04-29-2007, 07:11 PM
Pendo will get big time min and he deserves them.. Look at all the athletic bigs the Zags played last year and yet they could not score. It was largely because of Pendo who played like he was 6'9" tall. If their ever was a Zag who deserved serious min as a senior, its Pendo. He has also established himself as one of best 3 point shooters on the team. Go back and check his stats as a freshman he led
the team percentage wise at the 3 point line. He just did not shoot much. He has consistantly said of his shooting "that his day would come". That day is here and he deserves big min for all the banging he has done in the last 3 years.

Each starter needs at least 20 min + with relief coming from the bench and those min will have to be earned.

tyra
04-29-2007, 07:46 PM
Doesn't that make Josh the 5? Is that what is best for the team? Does that give us the combination of rebounding and paint strength we need? Does that give us the defense we need against teams with heighth? Just asking.

pbriz
04-29-2007, 08:58 PM
We can talk all we want about who is going to get how much time but there are about a million questions marks surrounding this question. Def a nice distraction to read these tho when I have a lab final tomorrow..

RebornZag
04-29-2007, 09:24 PM
Well put Pbriz. We all know we are only guessing...and have sucummed to the hysterical projections of the off-season. I have only seen one new recruit play, so I certainly don't know what I'm talking about...My greatest gift to the board is pretending that I do. Priz. As you can see...the Mods and leaders on this Board don't post on my threads. I write for people like you, Pbriz. And for people like me. People who just need a distraction now and then....I am an antidote to boredom. Thanks for dropping by and good luck on your test.

pbriz
04-29-2007, 09:45 PM
thanks reborn, i will do what i can

youreachiteach
04-29-2007, 10:52 PM
Pargo plays 40 a game under the Few system. Bouldin probably 38 under the Few system. Pendo has to start and play the mins he deserves. Kuso is more advanced offensively than Davis and Sacre.

Hopefully the staff thinks more of LG.

lothar98zag
04-30-2007, 09:10 AM
Kuso is more advanced offensively than Davis and Sacre.
Interesting...

skan72
04-30-2007, 03:48 PM
I don't think Kuso is more advanced than Davis, maybe Sacre, but not Davis.

lothar98zag
04-30-2007, 04:23 PM
I don't think Kuso is more advanced than Davis, maybe Sacre, but not Davis.
um...?

CDC84
04-30-2007, 05:11 PM
Kuso is more advanced offensively than Davis and Sacre.

Davis has more offensive skills in the low blocks than Kuso. I'm sorry, but it's just the truth. Some of us had a chance to see Davis in action recently, and while I would say he's got a ways to go before he becomes the next Batista, he's very talented and has good upside in that area. Kuso is talented at accumulating hustle points...scoring thru put backs and dump offs. He can run the floor on occasion. He's a valuable guy to have. But if I had to throw the ball into someone in the low blocks for a halfcourt post play, my money is on Davis. At least right now.

The main obstacle facing Davis is getting stronger and keeping his head focused on basketball and getting better...which he seems to be doing.

RebornZag
04-30-2007, 05:55 PM
Here are our wings (the 2 and 3 guards...or shooting guard and small forward...however you want to say it):

Bouldin 6'5"
Downs 6'8"
Daye 6'10"
Brown 6'4" Jumps like he's 6'8"
Gray 6'4"
LG 6'5"

This is quite a corps of guards...and they give Few so many, many options and it is why recently said that this will be one of his best teams...We have the experience (Downs and Bouldin) to give us plenty of experience early on when many teams are green. As the season develops our reserves will be as good as our starters probably (especially Daye...and possibly Brown). We all know what LG can do so what if he's healthy (omg :lmao: )? I think this corp of guards will help us forget Raivio and help us deal with Adam's absense better.

pbriz
04-30-2007, 06:16 PM
From everything i have heard about Davis coming in I really can't see Kuso playing in front of him at the END of the year. Kuso will start out with more but once Davis gets a feel for things I think you can expect him getting some serious minutes.... most likely starting