PDA

View Full Version : Leon Rice Quote in S-R Today - Very True

BobZag
02-25-2010, 11:03 AM
In my opinion, this is very true. Honestly, it's how I feel sometimes, which is why January and February are my least favorite months for Zag basketball. November, December and March are my faves.

I think as coaches even, at first it was hard to go play Carolina in Madison Square Garden and then, oh, now we get to go to Loyola.

This is what this team failed to overcome in a few games. Overcome the blah of it and they'll have it made.

zagfan24
02-25-2010, 11:13 AM
Very true BZ, but so much easier said than done.

The required front-loading of Gonzaga schedule means the exciting games are early on, and when the tired legs, bangs, and bruises of a college basketball season are at their worst -- we are playing the most "blah" part of our schedule. The physical and emotional toll of these games (not to mention classes and such) can sometimes only be overcome by the adrenaline of the big stage.

Furthermore, while I am not immune to frustration when I perceive a lack of effort from the Zags...it's a good thing to remember that almost all of us could be better family members, friends, employees, etc. if we put in more effort more consistently. College basketball is no different, but I'm optimistic that come crunch time the Zags will be ready to go.

JPtheBeasta
02-25-2010, 11:17 AM
If the players and coaches weren't humans, with the associated shortcomings, it would lower my stress level a little bit at times on game nights :)

MickMick
02-25-2010, 11:36 AM
The conference tournament will be the final judge of all this.

ZagNative
02-25-2010, 12:09 PM
The conference tournament will be the final judge of all this.Yup. It's helpful to read Leon's comment in context, I think:

From Meehan's blog (http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2010/feb/24/zags-try-add-another-title/):
Along the way, GU re-emphasized that the WCC is its first order of business.

“I think as coaches even, at first it was hard to go play Carolina in Madison Square Garden and then, oh, now we get to go to Loyola,” Rice said. “So we had to change our thinking and understand – and it’s the truth – that the mark of a great program is how you do consistently in conference.

“When it’s your priority and what you’re putting your time and energy in to, you’re not going to let it slip. We enjoy those non-conference games and those tournaments, but we take so much pride in this league.”

malmer7
02-25-2010, 12:44 PM
for the most part i agree with rice - it is definitely tough to get up for every single conference game, especially away from the kennel, when you've already played so many high profile games. i think we'd be hard pressed to find one team in the country that could take on the front loaded schedule that we do AND win consistently in their league, even if it is one of the weaker ones.
where i disagree (slightly) with leon, is that great teams are not measured by being consistent in conference play. none of us are going to remember how many games we won or lost in conference, it's mostly important to win the thing and prepare along the way to make as deep of a run in the tournament as possible...

zagnut2012
02-25-2010, 02:11 PM
Take yourself back to this summer, and remember what your expectations and predictions of our rebuilt (reloaded) ZAGS were. I know that, to me, we are playing way beyond my expectations from this summer. Yep, we have had a few DOH! moments to league teams, but over all we have played way above predictions. I say that is a tribute to our coaching staff, from recruiting to, Coach Few, to the guys buying into the program. Keep up the good work fellas! We will make some noise come March!!!

Zagnut 2012

VinnyZag
02-25-2010, 02:57 PM
The one thing that makes me optimistic is, this team has played well in every game it has taken seriously (except Duke). Seemed to me they were just looking past LMU and USF.

CaliforniaZaggin'
02-25-2010, 02:57 PM
The motivated, focused version of this year's team has shown that they're tough to beat, but the lazy, uninspired version has as many holes as slice of swiss cheese. Here's hoping we're done seeing the latter for the remainder of the season.