PDA

View Full Version : Ernie Kent probably out at Oregon...

dpouley
02-24-2010, 03:57 PM
(my apologies if someone else posted this)

And Bud withers lists the possible candidates to replace Kent:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/budwithers/2011165950_withers24.html

Mark Few is not on the list. And I think for good reason, hasn't his name been thrown around enough times without him showing interest for people to see that he is happy and not ready to go anywhere else?

BroncoZAG615
02-24-2010, 03:58 PM
If they can get Turgeon from A&M, they should look no further.

bartruff1
02-24-2010, 04:02 PM
Now I am worried...I have been afraid this job would actually be open....

dpouley
02-24-2010, 04:08 PM
Now I am worried...I have been afraid this job would actually be open....

From what I have heard, from some people that are "connected," Oregon was ready to fire Kent last year and they made back channel contact with Few to gauge his interest and they were told, 'thanks, but no thanks." There decision after that was to retain Kent for another year.

Now, maybe Few was respecting Kent and protecting a fellow coach, choosing not to comment on a coaching opening that did not "exist." However, I just don't see him ready to leave GU.

gamagin
02-24-2010, 04:55 PM
I'd make a rule that any and all basketball coaching changes not be allowed to be made public, under threat of severe penalties, from the end of any regular season, until one calendar month after the NCAA playoffs are completed.

This, out of respect for the players, schools, alumni, supporters, coaches and the game itself.

ID ZAGFAN
02-24-2010, 05:08 PM
I'd make a rule that any and all basketball coaching changes not be allowed to be made public, under threat of severe penalties, from the end of any regular season, until one calendar month after the NCAA playoffs are completed.

This, out of respect for the players, schools, alumni, supporters, coaches and the game itself.

Gamagin for King! :D

ID ZAGFAN

Ziggy
02-24-2010, 05:23 PM

Here, here! Make it so!

willandi
02-24-2010, 07:03 PM

I, too, agree, but what about recruiting? At what point do coaches get to scout, visit and sign? I think that might be the arguement against.

That being said, those things should be adjusted to fit within the scope of the Kings edict!!!

J-Lo
02-24-2010, 07:08 PM
From what I have heard, from some people that are "connected," Oregon was ready to fire Kent last year and they made back channel contact with Few to gauge his interest and they were told, 'thanks, but no thanks." There decision after that was to retain Kent for another year.

Now, maybe Few was respecting Kent and protecting a fellow coach, choosing not to comment on a coaching opening that did not "exist." However, I just don't see him ready to leave GU.

Nope. Oregon has had no contact with Few. He'll be here next year. :)

kyle dixon
02-24-2010, 07:17 PM
Dunlap will be the next coach at Oregon. He was brought in this past year to play the assistant coach in waiting for the Ducks. He was Lute Olson's key assistant at Arizona and somehow they did not name him the coach down there after Lute/O'Neill debacle he was left alone. The guy will do a good job at Oregon even if I hate saying this. Zag Addict am I missing anything further with this?

heavyzag
02-24-2010, 07:52 PM
He was offered the Arizona gig on an interim basis last year but declined and Russ Pennel took it and did a very nice job and got no shot at the full time job... If I recall correctly

jake
02-24-2010, 08:10 PM
This is my pure speculation, but I would think Dunlap is a less likely coach than he was at the start of the year. Yes, Kent is the head man, but the Ducks have been on a downward spiral this season. I don't think he is a bad hire by any means, but I do wonder if, given the way this season has gone, if Dunlap is going to fit the bill for what Oregon wants to kick off the opening of the new arena.

U Zig, I Zag
02-24-2010, 08:38 PM
I will 100% guarantee that if GU goes to the Rose Bowl, the Pita Pit Bowl or whatever then Few will announce his intention to leave a week before.

CDC84
02-25-2010, 07:36 AM
Thanks for the link dpouley. Some interesting candidates......

Heavyzag's understanding of the Dunlap/Arizona situation is correct. He didn't want to be an interim guy, and in many ways, I didn't blame him due to his background as a NBA assistant, his work at Metro State (2 nationals titles), his enormous respect throughout the coaching community, and the fact that the Arizona program was in chaos at the time.

I think Jake makes a good point about Dunlap. At the start of the year he seemed like the shoe in replacement, but things have just spun so far out of control in Duckville.......you have to wonder.

Once and Future Zag
02-25-2010, 08:03 AM
I wonder if Dan Monson would be approached for the gig.

CDC84
02-25-2010, 08:22 AM
I wonder if Dan Monson would be approached for the gig.

John Wooden would be more likely to take the Oregon job than Dan Monson if it were offered to him.

http://rhiannonlassiter.com/img/covers/badbloodcover.jpg

EngineerZag
02-25-2010, 08:33 AM
I won't believe Ernie Kent is out until I see it. The guy has nine lives.

bullzag23
02-25-2010, 09:16 AM

If I were king I would invoke the same rule AND give free Kool Aid to all those who knelt before me :D