PDA

View Full Version : Dime Magazine Article on Bouldin

Angelo Roncalli
02-24-2010, 07:36 AM
Spoiler preview: Matt doesn't mention winning the national championship as his ultimate goal.

His greatest assets are his vision, awareness and intelligence—all traits that are highly valued at the next level. Connecticut head coach Jim Calhoun once compared Bouldin to Pete Maravich when Matt was in high school; although Bouldin compares his game best to that of Deron Williams of the Utah Jazz: “He (Williams) would probably be my first pick (for comparison). I think we have similar games.” Williams, who moved to the point late in college, has now transformed himself into one of the NBA’s elite point guards.

Bouldin has played well so consistently, that he is finally being recognized on the national spotlight and is gaining respect across the country.

“Matt has a high intelligence and he’s a lot of fun to be around,” says Oregon Associate Head Coach Mike Dunlap, who has seen Bouldin play since he was a prep in Colorado. “He’s got a skill set that one-percent of the population has.”

http://dimemag.com/2010/02/matt-bouldin-has-gonzaga-ready-to-scare-teams-come-march/

malmer7
02-24-2010, 07:46 AM
i love the deron williams comparison, it's right on. if matt has a future in the nba (which i think he does), it's definitely at the point position and i think that many nba squads would eventually benefit when he learns the point guard position at that level (which he will). like williams, he just always seems like he's in control, like the ball is an extension of his hand and he never seems rushed or in a panic, except against duke...:(
living in sacramento, i watch the kings on occasion and he isn't going to be able to guard a guy like tyreke evans off the dribble, but i think that is why he'd be a great fit somewhere like san antonio where they play good help defense from the weak side AND a nice half court offense where he can set up the plays and use his back door cutting abilities...

theothegreat21
02-24-2010, 10:08 AM
I like Matt a lot.....and he has done some great things at Gonzaga during his four years. However, the Deron Williams comparison just doesn't work for me on any level. What a lot of people don't realize about Williams is that he is such a rare combination of size and strength. Matt might possess similar strength to Williams, but he does not have the quickness or ability to get his shot off against athletic defenders.

At this point, Williams is one of the top three point guards in the NBA (along with Steve Nash and Chris paul, with Rajon Rondo just behind those three). I don't think Matt has the ceiling to be that good of a player at the next level. I see Matt succeeding as a Rudy Fernandez/ Manu Ginobili (maybe not quite that level of production) type guy who can come off the bench and make his impact with his creativity on the offensive end and ability to score in bunches. Just my two cents

75Zag
02-24-2010, 10:38 AM
Best to Matt at every stage of his career, but I am skeptical about his NBA prospects. Matt has been an excellent college scorer, but has only moderate speed and marginal defensive skills. As Adam Morrison and Dan Dickau have demonstrated, that skill set does not necessarily translate into success at the NBA level.

Now, if Matt can take the GU team on his back and carry it to an Elite 8 or better finish, then all bets are off and some NBA general manager is likely to take a flyer on Matt. Otherwise, not so sure.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

PS - what the hell is Dime Magazine? Any relation to the guys selling Dime Bags on the sidewalk outside my office building?

FuManShoes
02-24-2010, 01:56 PM
PS - what the hell is Dime Magazine? Any relation to the guys selling Dime Bags on the sidewalk outside my office building?

I believe "Dime" is a reference to an assist. And that term supposedly is a play off the slang "drop a dime," which refers to helping capture a criminal. That makes little sense to me since that implies the dime dropper is good and the one receiving the dime is bad, which isn't quite true in hoops where both assistor and scorer are good guys and the defender is the criminal getting served a dime.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_are_assists_in_basketball_called_dimes