PDA

View Full Version : Crazy, hallucinogenic thought of the day

tightface
02-23-2010, 01:33 PM
Would you rather be a 4/5, or is it so bad to draw a 6 seed?

Its partly being discussed here:
http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=27093

With a 6, it would almost assuredly mean that we would not being playing in Spokane. However, it does give us the draw of not facing a 1 seed if we make it to the Sweet 16, instead likely facing a 2 seed if no upsets (currently possible 2's: Duke, WVirginia, Villanova, KState).

Of course, you have to beat somebody good if you want to win it all and frankly some of the projected 3 seeds could be tougher matchups for us (Georgetown, Pittsburgh, Ohio State) in the round of 32.

So in your opinion is it worth it to be a protected seed, assuming we get to play at Spokane Arena even if it means a date with a 1 seed in the Sweet 16, or would you rather take your chances as a 6 against an 11, a 3 and then the 2, assuming no upsets?

alaskazagnut
02-23-2010, 01:39 PM
We went the furthest as a 10 seed.

But I still think that as high a seed as possible is always the best option, If you take location, emotion and luck out of it, I want to face the lowest RPI ranked team as possible.

Houston Zag
02-23-2010, 01:51 PM
The seed number doesn't matter as much as the location of the game. Playing in Spokane would be huge for this team. If they don't get to play in Spokane, I hope they get put in the South bracket, so if they make the second weekend I'll get to see them play in Houston. I've already got the tickets.

malmer7
02-23-2010, 02:20 PM
The seed number doesn't matter as much as the location of the game. Playing in Spokane would be huge for this team. If they don't get to play in Spokane, I hope they get put in the South bracket, so if they make the second weekend I'll get to see them play in Houston. I've already got the tickets.

ditto - except i'm rooting for san jose, where most brackets have them pegged... i would rather see them in spokane, no matter what their seeding because that definitely creates a much bigger advantage than a number attached to your university's name.

BobZag
02-23-2010, 02:29 PM
Tough call. For selfish reasons, a 4/5 seed in Spokane would be cool because a lot of us fans could easily watch in person. A 6 seed makes for an easier path if you get past the 3 seed, but you run the risk of playing in hostile territory from the get-go.

So, while the difference between some 1s and 2s can be distinct, ideally I'd hope for a 4/5 in Spokane, followed by playing the weakest 1 seed (Purdue?). Really, is Villanova or Duke or West Virginia worse than Purdue?

TacomaZAG
02-24-2010, 10:24 AM
it's all a crap shoot, with upsets, etc............

Therefore, Spokane for the first weekend would be ideal, regardless of bracket or competition the second weekend or beyond. Holding serve in Spokane for the first weekend would be a big boost to this team, after that it's back to anyone, anytime, anywhere.

Just my 2 cents............

Go ZAGS

cjm720
02-24-2010, 10:29 AM
I understand the premise of the debate, but there should only be one answer. Spokane all the way...it's one game at a time, and Spokane would give us the best chance to advance to the second weekend.

Pleasant Peninsula
02-24-2010, 10:44 AM
This comes up every year and I think it is silly.

We want the highest seed possible. Period. Projecting what MIGHT happen all the way to the S16 or further is a fool's errand.

Toss in the possibility of a high seed earning a slot in Spokane this year and it is a no brainer.

We ALWAYS want the highest seed possible.

bartruff1
02-24-2010, 12:13 PM
I understand the premise of the debate, but there should only be one answer. Spokane all the way...it's one game at a time, and Spokane would give us the best chance to advance to the second weekend. I think that would be a huge advantage ....I don't care what seed they get...I just want them to get a seed...and if they can win 3 of their next five they likely will....if they can get to the Tourney and win a game that would be a great reward for their season...anything else is house money ..

bullzag23
02-24-2010, 02:04 PM

We want the highest seed possible. Period. Projecting what MIGHT happen all the way to the S16 or further is a fool's errand.

Toss in the possibility of a high seed earning a slot in Spokane this year and it is a no brainer.

The best way to avoid a 1 seed early on? To BE a 1 seed.

FieldHouseFishHouse
02-24-2010, 02:33 PM

Agree 100%. There is a reason they give better teams lower numbers.
Otherwise, why not root for a 16 seed, then once you beat the 1, you get to play the 8/9 in the second round and the 4/5 in the SS (just taking the argument to the logical extreme).

Butler Guy
02-25-2010, 08:31 AM
OP is Josh Heytvelt, IMO

kyle dixon
02-25-2010, 08:53 AM
Either Spokane or San Jose work for me. Just want the Zags to dig in and sweep this weekend and win the WCC regular season outright.

Butler Guy, quite a run you guys are on. Probably looking at a 3 or 4 seed, right?

Butler Guy
02-25-2010, 09:00 AM
Who knows on that. The selection process is such a cluster, its like herding cats trying to make sense of it all.

Only the NCAA can turn something that a freshman in college taking linear programming could design and turn it into 4 months of "Bracketology".