PDA

View Full Version : CBS projecting the field 6 seed

Krobbins34
02-23-2010, 12:23 PM
I like this bracket, even with being a 6 seed.

LynetteG
02-23-2010, 12:44 PM
I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVEEEEEE a 6 seed!

adoptedzag
02-23-2010, 01:34 PM
I like this bracket, even with being a 6 seed.

I would NOT want to play UTEP (very underrated) and then a hot New Mexico team. They're not big names but they're VERY dangerous teams.

tinfoilzag
02-23-2010, 01:35 PM
If I were the 3 seed in the Zags region I might be a little upset.

The upside being a lower seed in an area not Spokane might just be what we need to maintain focus ensuring players are taking care of themselves and in bed at a reasonable hour.

zaggernaut
02-23-2010, 02:04 PM
Here is the link (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/12962943/projecting-the-field-marquette-separates-itself-from-weak-atlarge-class?tag=coverlist_active;coverlist_footer)

titopoet
02-23-2010, 02:12 PM
This would stink for me. I graduated from UTEP and having the two play each other be horrible. Also, They have GU as the last of the 6s and I think that is wrong.

BobZag
02-23-2010, 03:13 PM
What is El Paso like?

I wonder how Lunardi and Palm and Bracketology 101 can all be so different.

alaskazagnut
02-23-2010, 03:25 PM
That would be the best bracket I could have hoped for. WOW. I love it. Too good to be true though. Don't get my hopes up too much.

Anyone notice that even that one has St Marys as a 10 seed. Looks like they are more and more off the bubble.

U Zig, I Zag
02-23-2010, 03:34 PM
What is El Paso like?

I wonder how Lunardi and Palm and Bracketology 101 can all be so different.

Because they all just make it up. Just guesses, educated ones - but just guesses. If you follow some of the college hoops guys (Palm is one) on Twitter you can see how they respond to different questions. I don't think anyone really agrees on anything other than the top 4/5 and even that is debatable it seems.

Most questions and most responses are about teams East of the Mississippi. Random thoughts thrown out there are almost ALWAYS about East coast games. It's very rare that they give the West Coast some love.

adoptedzag
02-23-2010, 04:28 PM
Born and raised in El Paso, its desert, very southwest. A lot like Phoenix.

pbriz
02-23-2010, 04:45 PM
Let's take the glasses off for a sec. I know some think we can get a 5 (or even a 4) but a 6 is what we are going to get if we win out. A 6, but placed in a nice bracket in comparison to a 5 getting a hot team and in a bracket with Kansas and Duke.

A strong 6 is what we deserve and what we will get IMO.

Radbooks
02-23-2010, 05:23 PM
Andy Glockner at SI.com was talking with the head of this years selection committee and a former selection committee member and he asked them specifically about Gonzaga staying in Spokane:

3) What seed does Gonzaga need to land in Spokane and essentially get two home games?

There's no official bar to reach, although it would make things a lot easier for everyone if Gonzaga winds up as a 4 seed or better, so the Bulldogs would be the higher seed in a second-round game.

Bracketing rules only provide for "seed protection" for the top five seeds in each region for the first round only. In theory, a team like Gonzaga (or Rhode Island) could be as low as an 11 seed and still be placed in Spokane (or Providence). In 2007, Louisville was a 6 seed and was slotted into Kentucky's Rupp Arena, putting 3 seed Texas A&M at a distinct locational disadvantage in Round 2. (The Aggies still won.)

What could hurt Gonzaga's hopes if the Zags aren't a top-four seed is their West Coast Conference affiliation. Gonzaga is a much easier team to move to a different region than a team from the Big East or Big 12 that needs to avoid running into higher-seeded league-mates in its half of the bracket.

Globally speaking, the Zags will end up in the most appropriate place given how the bracket shakes out around them, but if they're a 5 seed or lower and end up in Spokane, there's going to be a really ticked-off top-four seed.

This is part of a much longer article talking about placing teams in the different brackets around the country. It's at the Sports Illustrated website. (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/andy_glockner/02/23/bracket.questions/index.html)

ZagLawGrad
02-23-2010, 05:51 PM
Bummer if those losses to USF and LMU send the Zags on the road. Always better to keep destiny in your own hands as much as possible. But then again, nothing is guaranteed in the Dance. Not even a win close to home.

titopoet
02-23-2010, 05:57 PM
What is El Paso like?

The best Mexican food, El Paso reminds me of Spokane. Basketball town with a non-bcs rich tradition. Haskins won a championship there and we UTEP alums are quick to point out it is the only school from Texas to win it all. The town is a border town, dusty and bright most of the year and about the same size as Spokane, though the area is 2 mil (mostly on th Mexican side)

wiszag
02-23-2010, 06:02 PM
I don't give a crap about who we play or what our seed is, the best chance of making the Sweet 16 is to stay in Spokane. A sixth seed probably means we'll travel, travel is bad. Geez, I can't believe anyone would think that a six seed is better than staying in Spokane regardless of how the bracket is set up.

tinfoilzag
02-23-2010, 08:53 PM
I'm working in El Paso right now and I get up this morning and have to scrape snow off of my car.

50's in Spokane.

:confused:

I think everyone wants the Zags is Spokane but with two losses to sub 200 RPI teams near the end of the season it isn't likely to happen.

btzag
02-23-2010, 09:42 PM
Hmmm, wonder which conferences Palm is a fan of.... Let's see, for the Big East a 1 seed, two 2 seeds, and two 3's. You could debate that but a definite lovefest from Palm towards the Big East there.

My favorite is the Big 12 though...outside of KU and KSU that conf drops off quite a bit but he drops all the way down to 5th and 6th place in conf standings, both at 7-5, to give 4 seeds to Baylor and Texas. Again two 4 seeds to teams that are 7-5 in conference play should tell you how much credence to give a Palm bracket.

MississppiZag
02-24-2010, 05:38 AM
We'd be lucky to be 7-5 in the ACC, Big East, Big 10, or Big 12.

Our resume is that of a 7/8 seed.

titopoet
02-24-2010, 06:20 AM
We'd be lucky to be 7-5 in the ACC, Big East, Big 10, or Big 12.

Our resume is that of a 7/8 seed.

Let see we are 6-3 this year against the BSC conferences, and this despite playing only two at home, and 7-3 if you count Memphis. Also, most of the teams were not the bottom feeders of the conferences. Imagine the easy w of Depauls, Nebraskas, Penn States of the world. Though, we should not let the evidence cloud our opinions.

zagfan24
02-24-2010, 06:30 AM
Let see we are 6-3 this year against the BSC conferences, and this despite playing only two at home, and 7-3 if you count Memphis. Also, most of the teams were not the bottom feeders of the conferences. Imagine the easy w of Depauls, Nebraskas, Penn States of the world. Though, we should not let the evidence cloud our opinions.

Easy w's over Depaul, Nebraska, and Penn State? Remember, the Zags lost to USF and LMU. No wins are easy...

titopoet
02-24-2010, 06:47 AM
I'm working in El Paso right now and I get up this morning and have to scrape snow off of my car.

50's in Spokane.

:confused:

I think everyone wants the Zags is Spokane but with two losses to sub 200 RPI teams near the end of the season it isn't likely to happen.

Hey if it can more snow in El Paso than Spokane anything can happen.

1973Zag
02-24-2010, 06:58 AM
I'd like to see us win it all, but lets be realistic. 6-3 against BCS is impressive, but our best win was against (#4 in the big ten) Wisconsin; and that was in Nov. IL. is coming on, but WSU, Cin.,Oke.,andColorado are not exactly burning it up this year. Not a knock on us, but I'd hate to be in the Big East this year, and even the Big Ten would be a dogfight. I live in the midwest, and agree that the West coast gets unfairly ignored by the rest of the country(except USC football/UCLA-Ariz., and yes GU b-ball occasionally),BUT- I sometimes think some of my fellow Zag fans also forget that they play pretty good ball East of the Rockies. Lets just take what we are given and play our game. As I said in an earlier post- What is the difference if you are a 6 playing a 3,or a 3 playing a 6

ZagMania
02-24-2010, 08:20 AM
Facing a six seed will generally be easier than facing a three seed. :p

MississppiZag
02-24-2010, 09:27 AM
Pretty sure the committee does not use a record against BCS teams stat to seed teams.

We have a 10-2 conference record. Would 3 more losses not be expected in the Big East, ACC, or Big 10.

We have 1 win over a "lock for the tourney" team.
We are 3-2 against the RPI top 50, likely going to be 1-2 in another week.
Out of the 6 BCS wins, Wisky is the only team ranked in the top 25, Illinois, Wash St, and Cincinnati have underachieved. Oklahoma is a joke at 13-14. Colorado is 10-14. Wash St, Cincinnati, Colorado, and Illinois can make cases for how they should have won, much like some GU fans were saying we should have been 9-1 instead of 7-3 after Duke(who embarrassed us on a neutral court, not home like some GU fans feel).

Cincinnati is 6-8 in the Big East
Wisconsin is 10-5 in the Big 10
Oklahoma is 4-9 in the Big 12
Wake Forest is 8-5 in the ACC
Duke is 11-2 in the ACC
Mich St is 11-4 in the Big 10
Wash St is 4-9 in the PAC 10
Colorado is 3-9 in the Big 12
Illinois is 9-5 in the Big 10

2 of our 3 top 50 wins are against St. Mary's.

I think we would be fortunate with a 7-5 conf record.

I will say this we will not be given a 7/8 seed, but we are probably deserving of it. Also no team ranked in the top 25 has as 2 bad of losses as GU does.

1973Zag
02-24-2010, 09:54 AM
Zag, my point was: whether we were the 6 or the 3, we would be still be playing in the same match-up(6 VS 3) Only difference would be in the first round. even as a 6, if we couldn't beat an 11 the second round becomes a moot point. #3 would have safely kept us in spokane, but again----moot point now.

titopoet
02-24-2010, 11:04 AM
2 of our 3 top 50 wins are against St. Mary's.

I think we would be fortunate with a 7-5 conf record.

I will say this we will not be given a 7/8 seed, but we are probably deserving of it. Also no team ranked in the top 25 has as 2 bad of losses as GU does.

First, this is a game of speculation. I see it differently. While I can see your point, it assumes some things. You are right that no one in the top 25 has a bad of loses as LMU and SFU, but no BCS teams would even face teams like LMU and SFU on the road. If they did, there would be more upsets like the one that the Zags suffered. After UNC lost to Costal Carolina, Roy had to answer questions if why play on the road to a weak team.

If the Zags were in a BCS conference, they would get at least half of their games at home. Currently, it is like pulling teeth (and having ESPN cover the game) to get BCS to come to the kennel. RPI 20 team Wake (that is if you accept RPI as a measure. It is for seeding, but one could argue like kenpom and others that it really is a bogus measure in terms of performance) did win there, but just barely and off a freak play. It could be easily be argued that Gu would win the majority of its games in the kennel. This team (using a 16 game format though I know some BCS have 18 games) could easily have a 7-1 home record and 4-4 road record in most BCS conferences. that would be a 11-5. They could also load up on the home cupcakes like the rest of the BSC and have 12-2 record OOC record. That would put them at 23-7 add 1-1 in a mythical conference tourney. 24-8 in a BCS would make them a 4 or even a 3 seed. If they went 8-0 and 5-3 then their would be talk of the possibility of a 2 seed. They showed that they were at least the equal of Wisconsin and Illinois and both of them are 10-5, currently. In the case of Wisconsin, the zags beat them when they were stronger than when they lost their games in Big ten. (Jon Leuer just rejoined the badgers).

Again, this is just speculation on my part as well as on others part. But as Steve Lavin said, there is no doubt that the Zags are one the top 16 teams in the country, that would make them a 4 seed.

cjm720
02-24-2010, 11:14 AM
First, this is a game of speculation. I see it differently. While I can see your point, it assumes some things. You are right that no one in the top 25 has a bad of loses as LMU and SFU, but no BCS teams would even face teams like LMU and SFU on the road. If they did, there would be more upsets like the one that the Zags suffered. After UNC lost to Costal Carolina, Roy had to answer questions if why play on the road to a weak team.

If the Zags were in a BCS conference, they would get at least half of their games at home. Currently, it is like pulling teeth (and having ESPN cover the game) to get BCS to come to the kennel. RPI 20 team Wake (that is if you accept RPI as a measure. It is for seeding, but one could argue like kenpom and others that it really is a bogus measure in terms of performance) did win there, but just barely and off a freak play. It could be easily be argued that Gu would win the majority of its games in the kennel. This team (using a 16 game format though I know some BCS have 18 games) could easily have a 7-1 home record and 4-4 road record in most BCS conferences. that would be a 11-5. They could also load up on the home cupcakes like the rest of the BSC and have 12-2 record OOC record. That would put them at 23-7 add 1-1 in a mythical conference tourney. 24-8 in a BCS would make them a 4 or even a 3 seed. If they went 8-0 and 5-3 then their would be talk of the possibility of a 2 seed. They showed that they were at least the equal of Wisconsin and Illinois and both of them are 10-5, currently. In the case of Wisconsin, the zags beat them when they were stronger than when they lost their games in Big ten. (Jon Leuer just rejoined the badgers).

Again, this is just speculation on my part as well as on others part. But as Steve Lavin said, there is no doubt that the Zags are one the top 16 teams in the country, that would make them a 4 seed.

Good analysis. The one thing I'd disagree with his your last sentence. The math never works out like that as we're always penalized for our conference affiliation (I conject) regardless of rankings and RPI.

MississppiZag
02-24-2010, 11:21 AM
I do think that Gonzaga can be a top 20 team. They have not played like a top 25 team the last 2 or 3 weeks. Down the stretch you can't lose to LMU and USF when playing for a protected seed in your backyard.

Pleasant Peninsula
02-24-2010, 11:32 AM
The math never works out like that as we're always penalized for our conference affiliation (I conject) regardless of rankings and RPI.

Horsefeathers.

The committee has treated Gonzaga very fairly, in my opinion. Sure we all remember the 2002 team getting the #6 seed, but that was a different Gonzaga program back then that did not play the kind of schedule that we've seen the last few years. That #6 seed for a team with a gaudy record playing a mid-major schedule was very much in line with how they've handled other situations more recently like Drake a few years back and George Washington a year or two before.

Since Gonzaga stepped up and began playing a MAJOR schedule, they've been rewarded when they do very well, #3 in 05 and 06, #4 last year, and been dropped down when they lost too many games, #10 in 07, #7 in 08. It's hard to argue with any of those seedings.

Now, it may be true that Gonzaga is seeded lower than their AP/Coaches poll numbers would suggest. But, let's call those polls what they are in terms of truly placing accurate value on teams: worthless. If the selection committee hardly uses raw RPI numbers to make their determinations (and they hardly do), then they use poll numbers even less; actually they don't use them at all, and why would they? And let's face it, oftentimes Gonzaga is overranked when it comes to the polls because of the way they work; if a team loses they drop, if they win they move up, and with Gonzaga's frontloaded schedule, when they win WCC games, they often fly up the rankings because they are picking up Ws, while other teams are in the midst of the meat of their schedule and are dropping games here and there.