PDA

View Full Version : Down The Backstretch, heading for HOME

Reborn
02-22-2010, 03:58 PM
One more week and the Zags will once again be crowned conference champions. I can just feel the intensity in practices this week as they prepare for Santa Clara and then get the rematch against USF. We are two victories away from achieving one of the highest goals of the season. It's been a long road and we've had some struggles (like MOST teams in America). I think we have learned from our mistakes, and there has been a few. Some fans believe that the WCC should be a cakewalk for the Zags and that they should win every game by 20 points. They are mistaken, just ask Mark Few how tough it is to win every game in the WCC. I was so impressed how we played against both St. Mary's and Portland this year. Those two teams are very difficult to beat at home. Vandy barely beat St. Mary's there, and they are ranked higher than the Zags in the polls when we beat them by more

Some fans here believe that the Zags have NOT improved since the OCC games were over. That is just pure nonsense. The team has become very cohesive and this is a very unselfish team (most of the time). Matt Bouldin is a potential All American (yes I know he had one horrible shooting game against Pepperdine) and Steven Gray is a solid guard to counter Matt's play. They are a great tandum in the backcourt. Gray's one of the best defenders GU has ever had. Meech has improved. If you haven't seen that then it's because you don't want to. And so has Rob. It seems like Harris has slowed some but it's only because teams have discovered how to play him and minimize his points. But double teaming him has left other guys open, and scoring for the most part has NOT been a problem for the Zags. I like Harris a lot, and he is a warror. I have no doubt at all that he will be ready this weekend to close the deal, as will this whole team. To say that Harris has become mediocre is so funny to me. This is a team that has toughness, grit and character, and it will rise to the top when needed most. This weekend!

It's a great accomplishment to be crowned champions of any conference. For me it's a better accomplishment then winning Maui. It is hard playing on the road in all conferences. Just ask any team in the USA. Let's get it done Zags!!! Let's have a knockout weekend celebrating the championship at HOME!!

speed21
02-22-2010, 05:15 PM
Hit the nail on the head Reborn!!

titopoet
02-23-2010, 05:46 AM
Agreed and well said.

Now there is just three games at home left. (hopefully two more after that in Spokane) It is time to enjoy what this team has brought. They fought through aches and pains. They have toughen up and getting for a run. Few has shown why he is one of the best by reloading rather than rebuilding.

One thing that has not been mention is that expect for a game-that-will-not-be mentioned, this team has shown up for every big game. Illinois, Memphis, St Maryx2, Portlandx2, and even MSU. This bodes well for the NCAAs. As a team, they will be a team no one wants to face.

BobZag
02-23-2010, 09:08 AM
If you're going down the backstretch, you're not yet heading for home. Gotta make the long turn (especially at Belmont Park) and hit the homestretch. Then you are finally heading for home. Then you put ketchup and mustard on your hot dog to celebrate. :)

zaguarxj
02-23-2010, 09:19 AM
If you're going down the backstretch, you're not yet heading for home. Gotta make the long turn (especially at Belmont Park) and hit the homestretch. Then you are finally heading for home. Then you put ketchup and mustard on your hot dog to celebrate. :)

Ketchup on a hot-dog??? Heresy!!!

gueastcoast
02-23-2010, 09:24 AM
So true, BZ, so true...that backstretch at Belmont is the graveyard of champions ;)

We are turning for home in full stride!!