PDA

View Full Version : Harris and the big bucks

Zagsker
02-22-2010, 12:55 PM
Seems like the "Harris to the NBA" talk has quieted down.

You can definately see, that once people have had ample time to evaluate him, it has been a much tougher road for Harris.

He definately needs a couple more moves in his resume. He tends to force many of his shots down low.

The game against Memphis we/he saw a glimpse of the type of athletes he will face in the pro ranks and he struggled with it.

I will be the first to admit that initially I was in the "he could play in the NBA right NOW" crowd, but after the past couple weeks you can see the areas he will need to improve on

CDC84
02-22-2010, 01:08 PM
He really needs to work on his left hand.

seasontixholder
02-22-2010, 01:44 PM
It's been the increased use of zones.

007Zag
02-22-2010, 02:12 PM
I don't mind the idea of him developing more with us. A dream would be to see him still in a zag uniform as a junior, rotating with sacre, dower, and olynyk. That would be a powerful rotation.

CaliforniaZaggin'
02-22-2010, 03:08 PM
Ballhandling in the open court needs to improve. He's great driving to the hoop off one or two bounces, but it's pretty easy to see he's not real comfortable bringing the ball up on a break.

NOTE: This is in regards to his NBA potential. GU doesn't need Harris to handle the ball in transition and/or run the offense.

U Zig, I Zag
02-22-2010, 08:33 PM
I think he needs to play the 3. That's what he is if he plays in the NBA. It would give him a chance to expand his game. With Dower here that should help get him some time at that spot. Of course, Kelly probably wants to play the 3. And Manny... and Kong.... what's the deal with all these 3's?
:o

FuManShoes
02-22-2010, 08:35 PM
A consideration: There's strong speculation of a league lockout in 2011, meaning Harris could face a decision about going this year lower than he might like or being at GU for a couple more years unless he decides to return to Europe. Then again he's said he intends to stick around at GU. We'll see.

CB4
02-23-2010, 12:42 AM
A consideration: There's strong speculation of a league lockout in 2011, meaning Harris could face a decision about going this year lower than he might like or being at GU for a couple more years unless he decides to return to Europe. Then again he's said he intends to stick around at GU. We'll see.

After the disaster that was the NHL lockout no professional sports organization, especially the NBA will lockout the players again. Besides, with Kobe, Lebron and the circus free agency that will take place this summer, the NBA is more profitable than ever before. Both sides may threaten something like a strike/lockout/whatever but it will never happen.

We gotta take it one step at a time here. I'm convinced that Harris will be back next fall. He's not ready and unless he goes nuts during the tournament and leads the Zags deep I don't think he will be encouraged to even try to be drafted.

Crazy
02-23-2010, 01:06 AM
I think he needs to play the 3. That's what he is if he plays in the NBA. It would give him a chance to expand his game. With Dower here that should help get him some time at that spot. Of course, Kelly probably wants to play the 3. And Manny... and Kong.... what's the deal with all these 3's?
:o

I think Playing time on the three should be possible, i believe KO is something like the opposite of Harris a body of a four but still a guard like play - i think he could be a modern four if he build up muscles and learn also the post play this will also improves his skills as a three.

Bol kong is personally more a two in my eyes, and should get his play
ing experience mainly there.

Arop of course is a real three, but i think because the other threes are flexible he should be able to get his time too.

MickMick
02-23-2010, 04:42 AM
Zags have been going to Sacre more lately. I think they are being coached that way.

I don't have any problems with the way the freshman is playing. When a double/double is viewed as an off game, the expectation levels are a little out of whack.

Who knows how those NBA scouts think? Harris has similar attributes to Calvary and we know what the NBA thought of him. Casey is held in higher regard here than Austin was. And we know what the NBA thought of him.

I really can't figure those guys out.

Birddog
02-23-2010, 05:21 AM
Harris is a really good D1 player, but he has to improve a lot before he is NBA ready. He simply doesn't have the moves or the shots to make it yet as an NBA3. Jeez, just take a look at what the lowly WCC coaches are doing to neutralize his offense in this, the 2nd round of games. The scouting report is being circulated like Cliff's Notes. Elias will have to work hard on developing midrange and 3 pt shots in addition to using his left hand as someone else pointed out. I think he can make the NBA, but not this year, and maybe not next year either, which will be good for GU.

titopoet
02-23-2010, 05:53 AM
From what I have seen of Harris, he seems more motivated by becoming a better player than by money. Already, we see this in the fact he is here, rather than collecting a paycheck in Europe. I think he wants to play in the world championships, so he would have to skip the predraft workouts. I guess is that he will be back, much to the dismay of St Mary and the rest of the WCC. I do hope Few uses him more as a 3 next year. I have seen Few doing that in some of the recent games.

bballbeachbum
02-23-2010, 06:49 AM
well, needless to say, we all like this kid

on his playing position, he's being attacked in post D; first time I remember that was Smuelders @ Portland, and it has continued; one way to slow a guy on O is to make him work on D on the other end, and teams are doing that with some success vs. him, and also attacking him on the O glass hard. to his credit, he is battling in there, but physically he gets overmatched vs. true 4s on occassion on the block imo

his list of accolades would be much longer than the above list of things to work on, but I'll just list this one item: his heart. He wants it, so I believe he'll get it, because the physical tools are there

and I agree with MickMick...good post

Das Zagger
02-23-2010, 08:01 AM
NBA teams put a huge focus on "drafting on potential," which Harris has plenty of. But if Harris wants to play, he'll stay in college with the upcoming work stoppage in the NBA.

The NBA lockout will happen, its just a question of how long. The salary cap is going to decrease and there were a handful of teams that accepted loans from JPM to help make payroll, all of which were mid-market teams.

If the NBA players union wants to get into a staring contest with the owners, I wish them the best of luck, but they'll lose and look embarrassing in the process.

Zagsker
02-23-2010, 09:06 AM
I don't have any problems with the way the freshman is playing. When a double/double is viewed as an off game, the expectation levels are a little out of whack.

I don't think anyone else does either. The "criticism" of his play is not meant as a negative towards Harris but more as an eye opener to fans. Like I stated earlier, I was deep into the "Harris can go to the NBA NOW" crowd....but over the course of the season he has shown some very glaring weaknesses/ areas that need improvement...freshmen weaknesses. Things like trying to force his shot, predictable moves in the paint and on the go.

He is definately the most impressive freshmen I have ever seen Gonzaga bring in...and the sky is the limit for him...I am just glad, as a selfish fan:D , that he HAS shown some weaknesses this year...otherwise, if he would have been what we all were thinking at the begining to middle of the year..he would have been one and done, IMO

cjm720
02-23-2010, 09:22 AM
If the NBA players union wants to get into a staring contest with the owners, I wish them the best of luck, but they'll lose and look embarrassing in the process.

I'm looking forward to this more than anything....LOL.

Re: Harris, bballbeachbum said it well.

bullzag23
02-23-2010, 05:15 PM
After the disaster that was the NHL lockout no professional sports organization, especially the NBA will lockout the players again. Besides, with Kobe, Lebron and the circus free agency that will take place this summer, the NBA is more profitable than ever before. Both sides may threaten something like a strike/lockout/whatever but it will never happen.

We gotta take it one step at a time here. I'm convinced that Harris will be back next fall. He's not ready and unless he goes nuts during the tournament and leads the Zags deep I don't think he will be encouraged to even try to be drafted.

There was an NBA lockout back in the 99-00 season, but the players' union gave up midway through the season and they still ended up playing 50 games. The owners hold all the cards here because they know many of their players, despite being multi millionaires still live paycheck to paycheck because they don't know how to handle their money properly. It's a sad story really, and doesn't exist only in the NBA. There will most likely be a lockout, and I imagine the biggest result will be the disappearance of the fully guaranteed contract(probably using an NFL-like contract structure), simply because so many teams have screwed themselves into big, bad contracts.

CB4
02-23-2010, 07:03 PM
I understand the dynamic of it I just don't see a lockout happening. Too much money to be made. It is for this reason that cooler head will prevail and the owners and PA will work something out.

Crazy
02-24-2010, 08:30 AM
I think he wants to play in the world championships, so he would have to skip the predraft workouts.

is that really a reaoson who speaks against him, i could see the Wm also as a showcase for him where he could advertise himself to the Teams and that he already plays there could be good for the marketing of the team who draft him(especially when Nowe retires, he will get a lot of attention in germany as a NBA player)